[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, arsradu said:

Hi Mat! Yeah, same issue here (until now).

And yes, that's the file I used before to successfully get into Recovery. :) 

Thanks @arsradu I don't try yet apfs.efi to boot into Recovery Partition because I'm working. Maybe there is a issue for some machine, with apfsdriverloader integrated in Opencore.efi: it must be update, I suppose.

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Thanks @arsradu I don't try yet apfs.efi to boot into Recovery Partition because I'm working. Maybe there is a issue with apfsdriverloader integrated in Opencore.efi: it must be update, I suppose.

Well, I don't know... I'm not so sure. :) 

Because, at the time when I was having issues a week or two ago, there were people with the exact same version who didn't have any issues. All they needed was that JumpstartHotPlug option enabled and that's it. Whereas on my end, it wouldn't work with only that option. Now it does. But a lot of things changed in the meantime (mostly in config). So...I don't know. But I think the issue might be somewhere else.

Anyway, if you wanna try the latest OC, I compiled it yesterday and you can give it a try if you want.

If it still doesn't work, my suggestions would be:

1. try the apfs.efi file. Don't forget to add it to config, as well. I always forget to do so. :))

2. try to compare the sample.plist (or my screenshot of NVRAM section) to yours and see if there's maybe something you need to change in there, as well

Something must be different, indeed. But I'm not sure it's the OC itself... Could be wrong though. So let's see. :D 

OpenCore-0.6.0-RELEASE.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have been attempting BS3 all this while with OC 0.6.0 and failed, but now after seeing people having success with Clover (have been a long time clover user)

I thought I will give a try at BS3 using a bootable USB and Clover.

But I am stuck at this point

Spoiler

1791915673_WhatsAppImage2020-07-25at9_05_00AM.thumb.jpeg.cbcc184f5615ac34f01e3c4b0fffdad5.jpeg

I remember in the past that under quirks you need to enable AvoidRuntimeDefrag to get past this, which I have done but still no luck.

Spoiler

1268833876_ScreenShot2020-07-25at9_06_29AM.thumb.png.0a26a445a428184260f4b75cace750ce.png

Anyone any clues?

Here is my EFI if anyone want to take a look at EFI.zip

Edited by manmo71
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

So I updated to latest master OC and updated to newest kexts this morning and still no Big Sur option in startup disk and still Preboot for volume name. But all still working so I can wait.

Yeah, pretty sure those are both bugs... I mean, the Startup Disk thing works for me if I manually mount the BigSur system partition (not -Data) from Disk Utility. As for the Preboot thingy, yeah, that's a bug for sure. There seem to be some workarounds for it. But it doesn't bother me that much, so I think I'm gonna wait for the next update.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, manmo71 said:

I have been attempting BS3 all this while with OC 0.6.0 and failed, but now after seeing people having success with Clover (have been a long time clover user)

I thought I will give a try at BS3 using a bootable USB and Clover.

Hi @manmo71
Clover seems not ready yet with bootable USB BS Beta 3. See Clover discussion topic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@Matgen84 Thank you for that update.

On OC, I tried the bootable USB method and also the VM method. With the bootable USB it kept failing at Asmedia, but on one of the USB ports it did progress.

Spoiler

2029787526_WhatsAppImage2020-07-25at9_19_30AM.thumb.jpeg.0ae2d69a2f08ae2e7b35ce8f28d0424d.jpeg

But when I start the installation process, it fails at this, it is the same with with VM also, fails around this point with the same error.

Spoiler

944804806_ScreenShot2020-07-25at7_52_03AM.thumb.png.2474b4894842d5b0c4c7f13d3401489a.png

I am unable to figure out the cause. I downloaded the BS3 around 3 times, assuming that it might be a corrupt installer. :unsure:

14 minutes ago, manmo71 said:

On OC, I tried the bootable USB method and also the VM method. With the bootable USB it kept failing at Asmedia, but on one of the USB ports it did progress.

But when I start the installation process, it fails at this, it is the same with with VM also, fails around this point with the same error.

I am unable to figure out the cause. I downloaded the BS3 around 3 times, assuming that it might be a corrupt installer. :unsure:

Sorry that is beyond my modest skills. :cry:

Did you use a USB2 port for the installation!

1 hour ago, manmo71 said:

Hide contents

944804806_ScreenShot2020-07-25at7_52_03AM.thumb.png.2474b4894842d5b0c4c7f13d3401489a.png

shasum /Volumes/GPTData/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur\ Beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg

e28034e835571e5c5aa8b5dab234c8e114091668  /Volumes/GPTData/Install macOS Big Sur Beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg

You can check the shasum, my beta3 is as above and work fine.

Or you can use my lazy-tool:D to make VMware ISO.

VMwareISOscript.zip

Edited by crazybirdy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Well, I don't know... I'm not so sure. :) 

Because, at the time when I was having issues a week or two ago, there were people with the exact same version who didn't have any issues. All they needed was that JumpstartHotPlug option enabled and that's it. Whereas on my end, it wouldn't work with only that option. Now it does. But a lot of things changed in the meantime (mostly in config). So...I don't know. But I think the issue might be somewhere else.

Anyway, if you wanna try the latest OC, I compiled it yesterday and you can give it a try if you want.

If it still doesn't work, my suggestions would be:

1. try the apfs.efi file. Don't forget to add it to config, as well. I always forget to do so. :))

2. try to compare the sample.plist (or my screenshot of NVRAM section) to yours and see if there's maybe something you need to change in there, as well

Something must be different, indeed. But I'm not sure it's the OC itself... Could be wrong though. So let's see. :D 

OpenCore-0.6.0-RELEASE.zip

Using new OpenCore 0.6.0 Beta Release (24/07) + Latest Lilu and his plugins:  I can't boot Big Sur. Stuck at apfs_module_start: 2411 (with or without apfs.efi, with or without SSDT-AWAC.aml

Any ideas ! Please.

12 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Using new OpenCore 0.6.0 Beta Release (24/07) + Latest Lilu and his plugins:  I can't boot Big Sur. Stuck at apfs_module_start: 2411 (with or without apfs.efi, with or without SSDT-AWAC.aml

Any ideas ! Please.

Yeah, that's a different issue... The issue I was having was an error on OC side saying something like: OCB: LoadImage - unsupported. What you're describing is a different issue, and it's actually the exact same issue I'm having right now with Clover...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coke said:

A log would be helpful... Btw, did you update your config.plist accordingly?

I update my config.plist accordingly. I don't remember the procedure for log or debug log, sorry can you tell me.

EDIT: I forgot a '>' in the config.plist. I can boot with FakeSMC now

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

This is my take on BS beta3 - Although many of the earlier bugs has been fixed, this version in my opinion is proving flaky on a Hackintosh because on all the different platforms the results are varied which I suppose is expected (non Apple machines). Beta2 to my mind was more solid on my setup even with the bugs and here  is why - Named Disk worked, Choice of Startup Disk worked these two just worked in Beta2 without any work arounds on our part. Last night I did another clean install on my main NvME Drive trying to understand and unravel those two glitches and came to the conclusion that in fixing a lot of what wasn't working in Beta1&2, they broke Startup Disk and Named Disk.

The clean Install I did I decided to do the install with System Security Integrity fully unlocked in the config.plist - (I don't know - but thinking to influence the Sealed Volume or the Snap Shot of the initial state of the installation ??????) - Again the installation process was fine, took approx 45 minutes but yet again with Preboot as Named Disk and no Startup Disk. Feeling dejected, frustrated you name it, I turned the machine off and went to bed as it was quite late. Today I got up, turned the machine on and the name Big Sur showed up in the Boot Menu, why I don't know as I did not apply any work around. At this point my Windows Disk was still isolated from the system so I turned the machine off and brought the Windows into play and rebooted to see the result and the name was still in the Boot Menu as Big Sur.

But............ There is always a 'But' the Startup Disk is still missing in System Preferences. Sorry for the long and sometimes rambling post, I just wanted to share my take and findings with BS Beta3 to subside the frustrations of others that they are not alone wrestling Beta3 bugs and all.

• Like 6

@eSaF maybe if you install it with SIP disabled, the Preboot issue does not occur....? I don't know... I installed with SIP enabled (in order to see the update in System Preferences; by the way, that seems to be another bug) and I couldn't get it to show anything other than Preboot ever since. No matter if SIP is enabled or disabled. If you're doing it after the fact, it doesn't seem to change anything.

Also, I don't know why, but I can't seem to be able to disable SIP from Recovery. It says it's disabled and I have to reboot to see the changes, but...it's still enabled (if I left it enabled) when checking its status via: "csrutil status". In other words, no matter what you do in Recovery, doesn't seem to affect the live system. But I'm probably missing something... There are a ton of new things with Big Sur, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was yet another bug.

I didn't try to use the custom disk labels, so... that might work. But since it doesn't bother me that much, I think waiting for the next update (which hopefully will fix this issue) is the best overall solution, so I don't have to undo everything when that one comes out, or cause other issues with Beta 4. I mean, it's probably not gonna make the system unbootable, but still...since this is a bug on Apple's side, I think waiting might be the best approach here.

Still, weird that it just "fixed" itself in your case... My guess is that it might have something to do with the NVRAM. But what...I don't know.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 4

[mention]eSaF [/mention] now I feel like trying more to get my Big Sur name back that Preboot stole. Mines a laptop so isolating disks is possible but a pia. Although I might be able to disable windows drive in bios hmmmm decisions decisions.....
PS laptop can take 2 x nvme & 1 x sata ssd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, well, in my before last fresh install I had BS instead of PreBoot, too and it fixed itself... after a while it changes for PreBoot... BS weirdness in all it's glory... LoL ...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, pico joe said:

used the @fusion71au methods to snapshots disabled, and follow step by step 

success story :D

pico@picos-iMac / % sw_vers

ProductName:    macOS
ProductVersion:    11.0
BuildVersion:    20A5323l
pico@picos-iMac / % kextstat | grep AirPort
   74    0 0xffffff8001e64000 0x127000   0x127000   com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40 (700.74.5) 9753F22E-5C85-3E95-B543-0870CF03838A <73 43 14 8 6 5 3 1>
pico@picos-iMac / %

Good day, is your Big Sur beta 3 allowing the AirPortAtheros40.kext, cause mine is completely refusing it?

@SavageAUS  and arsradu - Yes the name 'Preboot' instead of what you named your Disk is bloody irksome to my eyes even though you see it for a few seconds at boot so I feel your pain, but all I would say if your rig is functioning ok at this point, I would leave as is and wait and see what the next update brings. As I said I don't know what caused the change in mine as it was not instant and whether it will stay that way, it could have been any of a hundred things or just a sheer fluke I wish I could pin it down and say precisely what it was but that is how it is for the time being.

4 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

Well, well, in my before last fresh install I had BS instead of PreBoot, too and it fixed itself... after a while it changes for PreBoot... BS weirdness in all it's glory... LoL ...

Yea I remember you post reading and feeling quite jealous, so now I am in your situation and I don't know if the name will stick or revert back to Preboot but we will see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

Works fine on Big Sur Beta 3 here.

BigSur Clover KextInjection Package.zip

Sadly, those 3 kernel patches and cloverX64.efi don't work on my HEDT MSI X299 system. Stuck at "PCI configuration end, 11 devices" error

Seems like ACPI error. I tried to find PNP0C09 as per creating my own SSDT guide. But PNP0C09 does not exist on my X299 system. Anyone have pointers to fixing my ACPI for Big Sur? It did boot perfectly via Clover on Beta 2.

• Confused 1