[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, iGPU said:

This looks like a good suggestion!

It booted further into Recovery than before, stopping at image below.

Reveal hidden contents

BS-Recovery.thumb.jpg.592cb2e75b92475dfcaa1399acc974cc.jpg

I finally got into BS Recovery. Besides, leaving ScanPolicy = 0 (as suggested above by AppleBreak),

AppleALC and WEG needed to be enabled (both of which are not normally needed for the VM I'm running).

Hi Guys

With OpenCore 0.6.0 (latest), I can't boot to BS3 Recovery Partition despite of Jump settings in my config.plist ?

Message error! loadImage failed - Unsupported

Any ideas ! Where I made a mistake

<key>UEFI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>APFS</key>
		<dict>
			<key>EnableJumpstart</key>
			<true/>
			<key>HideVerbose</key>
			<true/>
			<key>JumpstartHotPlug</key>
			<true/>
			<key>MinDate</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>MinVersion</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
		</dict>

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, iGPU said:

I've successfully updated from ß2 to ß3 using the 3970X VM in my signature. However, I have the Preboot label on the boot drive, not BigSur as intended. I'd like to change this, but I cannot seem to get into Recovery to disable csrutil. I had this same problem with ß2 Recovery; I could not boot into Recovery on Big Sur.

I can boot into Catalina Recovery just not Big Sur Recovery, so this makes me think that it's a BigSur APFS / OpenCore issue.

I tried many things, the first simply being to use the OC v060 that I use to boot into Big Sur (kexts and everything seems to work when booted into Big Sur). If I use this boot EFI, then I get an error saying "OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported".  This message then loops back to the OC menu each time the Big Sur Recovery disk is selected. (BTW, EnableJumpstart and JumpstartHotPlug are enabled.)

As some have suggested on this thread, I've tried adding apfs.efi or ApfsDriverLoader.efi, but these do not help much. They do show the Apple logo with a progress bar that goes ~5% and stops. When verbose is active, it stops as shown in image below (boot arguments are "-v vsmcgen=1"; oddly it says no kexts are loaded...)

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Reveal hidden contents

Failed_Recovery.thumb.jpg.02d51a6ea0d1cf1f6d662c37d939d48c.jpg

yes I did it the same way in phase 3, then macOS installer started again from Open Core and the installer does the sealing again. The interruption in phase 3 is of no use.

7 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi Guys

With OpenCore 0.6.0 (latest), I can't boot to BS3 Recovery Partition despite of Jump settings in my config.plist ?

Message error! loadImage failed - Unsupported

Any ideas ! Where I made a mistake

<key>UEFI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>APFS</key>
		<dict>
			<key>EnableJumpstart</key>
			<true/>
			<key>HideVerbose</key>
			<true/>
			<key>JumpstartHotPlug</key>
			<true/>
			<key>MinDate</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>MinVersion</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
		</dict>

Look at my post immediately above your post. (You can trace thru my previous posts from yesterday where I had same issue); maybe it will help your set up too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

@MorenoAv yeah, the 5GB one is the incremental update. The 12GB one is the full installer. And the fact that it's showing both seems to be a bug.

I think it's nice that both updates are coming. So you can create a USB Install Stick with the big update.

I’m leaving the disk name alone (Preboot) and the lack of a big sur option in startup disk so I can see what the next update brings. Should only be a week or so? I’m happy to be a guinea pig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, iGPU said:

Look at my post immediately above your post. (You can trace thru my previous posts from yesterday where I had same issue); maybe it will help your set up too.

I can boot on Catalina Recovery without any change in my config.plist :) Despite of that I test ScanPolicy=0 as you says before.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

I can boot on Catalina Recovery without any change in my config.plist :) Despite of that I test ScanPolicy=0 as you says before.

even with scanpolicy = 0 and all correct entries in the config.plist with OC 0.6.0, I cannot get into recovery, the same as was posted here in the pictures.

Edited by AlfredoM
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, MorenoAv said:

I have a Preboot too, after one more fresh install, but my biggest problem is not having bluetooth... it appears disabled in Hackintool ... 

Hi my friend, try use Kext-Dropet by Chris1111 and install in L / E that will works!!! Im could get it install on my both Hacks!! Lenovo and Desktop!! 

But only was needed make this on Lenovo...:) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I’m leaving the disk name alone (Preboot) and the lack of a big sur option in startup disk so I can see what the next update brings. Should only be a week or so? I’m happy to be a guinea pig emoji241.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey soldier!!! - That's not the spirit we're looking for in this Man's Army, now pull your self together and let's go :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:  No man just josting wid yah, if you're happy then go with it, as you say lets see what the coming week brings. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

For info, this is my startup disk selection.

Thank you,

I did some checks to compare mine to yours and changed some of my options but it resulted in no boot at all, I will probably go through it all again and only change one or two things at a time and see what happens.

I'm not expecting this to help my major issues with updating/installing on bare metal though but we will see.

Thanks @Max.1974,

I was able to solve that a while ago... I don't know how but it worked... LoL

PS: I'll tell everything but the only thing that I do was made another EFI folder from scratch, complete with fresh kexts, and compile the last commit of OpenCore... nothing more...

Edited by MorenoAv
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, fusion71au said:

Disable authenticated root SIP by setting csr-active-config to 77080000 in OC's config.plist, then reset NVRAM through the OC boot menu.  Alternatively, with blank csr-active-config setting, boot to Recovery/Big Sur Installer and run csrutil disable, then csrutil authenticated-root disable in terminal.

I've managed to get into BS ß3 Recovery (with either csr-active-config = blank or all 0's) and have run both csrutil commands as shown above.

Then, when I re-boot into BS ß3, with csr-active-config = 7708000 or 00000000, I cannot run the command to rename Preboot, as "operation is not permitted" (csrutil status says SIP is still enabled). It seems that csrutil disable is not remaining disabled after a re-boot. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, iGPU said:

I've managed to get into BS ß3 Recovery (with either csr-active-config = blank or all 0's) and have run both csrutil commands as shown above.

Then, when I re-boot into BS ß3, with csr-active-config = 7708000 or 00000000, I cannot run the command to rename Preboot, as "operation is not permitted" (csrutil status says SIP is still enabled). It seems that csrutil disable is not remaining disabled after a re-boot. Any suggestions? Thanks.

thanks... i will testing with blank or all 0 in csr-active-config and will see work Recovery Boot.

Update: the same no change

Edited by AlfredoM

1 hour ago, iGPU said:

I finally got into BS Recovery. Besides, leaving ScanPolicy = 0 (as suggested above by AppleBreak),

AppleALC and WEG needed to be enabled (both of which are not normally needed for the VM I'm running).

Thanks.  I can boot to recovery mode now.  It boots to Catalina recovery even without scanpolicy=0 but to get to Big Sur recovery mode, I needed JumpstartHotPlug=Yes and ScanPolicy=0 otherwise "LoadImage failed - Unsupported"

Ok I am about to pick this thing apart, I've got a spare ssd Drive and enough spare time (more than enough for sale :lol:) I am going to do a fresh install without the frills and see the difference between what I have already and this one - I hear you all shouting - THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!!! :hysterical:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread becomes very interresting with the new release beta 3.

As mentioned @eSaF there is positive or negative feedback and we can already see if there is any improvement we can hope for for the future version.

For me i always appreciate the detailed and comprehensive comments as @arsradu (thanks) do them : it is very important for me because English is not my "mother tongue".

There is some very useful information as detailed @fusion71au  or @Pavo some posts above of course a lot of other guys are helping us sorry if i haven't mentioned them all.

I notice the perseverance of @MorenoAv , @SavageAUS , @ameenjuz , @Matgen84 : they are always one line :thumbsup_anim: and also @eSaF :yes: :maybe they are the modern gladiators: if I am allowed to do "French humor" (sorry if I forgot others)

One thing I'm particularly interested in as @MacPato has already mentioned about Big Sur on the AMD system.

So unlike before, I will now start Big Sur beta 3 with my new AMD test system and keep you updated.

The Big question is Big Sur or not Big Sur for the future :whistle:

PS : sorry for my "French" English

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, iGPU said:

I try csr-active-config=00000000 but I can't boot on BS Beta 3 Recovery Partition idem with blank :cry:

3 minutes ago, Loloflat6 said:

PS : sorry for my "French" English

You're welcome ( "French" English too) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matgen84 said:

I try csr-active-config=00000000 but I can't boot on BS Beta 3 Recovery Partition idem with blank :cry:

Mat, if you remember, I actually had the exact same issue. I honestly don't know what exactly fixed it...but it did. As a workaround, you can try to boot with apfs.efi in Drivers. You can try the attached one if you want. But....I think the issue might be somewhere else (probably the config, and probably NVRAM).

Have you tried taking a look at the sample.plist and try to match as much as possible what's added there for both Add and Remove in NVRAM section? Maybe that's it... And of course, you need to have JumpstartHotPlug set to Yes, but you already know that.

Anyway, if you wanna take a look, this is what mine looks like.

Spoiler

313102832_Screenshot2020-07-24at19_50_33.thumb.png.9194cf115e1b331abe0f8ea96b4a83d0.png

apfs.efi

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Mat, if you remember, I actually had the exact same issue. I honestly don't know what exactly fixed it...but it did. As a workaround, you can try to boot with apfs.efi in Drivers. You can try the attached one if you want. But....I think the issue might be somewhere else (probably the config, and probably NVRAM).

Have you tried taking a look at the sample.plist and try to match as much as possible what's added there for both Add and Remove in NVRAM section? Maybe that's it... And of course, you need to have JumpstartHotPlug set to Yes, but you already know that.

Anyway, if you wanna take a look, this is what mine looks like.

Reveal hidden contents

313102832_Screenshot2020-07-24at19_50_33.thumb.png.9194cf115e1b331abe0f8ea96b4a83d0.png

apfs.efi

Thanks @arsradu I saw your post about Recovery Partition. The driver uploaded is a Big Sur version? I can try it.

Yes, I've JumpstartHotPlug set to Yes. Of course.

I can boot on Catalina Recovery partition but not in Big Sur Recovery partition. :cry:

2 hours ago, dvil said:

I did a clean install using the Big Sur recovery partition and I also got the Preboot "issue" at the end. However, following the instructions of @fusion71au the "issue" was solved.

I didn't copy any file, I  just run csrutil disable, then csrutil authenticated-root disable in the terminal in the BS recovery partition and restarted my computer. After that the Big Sur volume was correctly shown in the OC picker! just like that.

I hope it helps,

Good luck. 

This is all I needed for my drive name to show up correct in OpenCore boot menu. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1