[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, after about three days of trying, I was unable to create a USB install disk.  But I managed to get a hard disk install to work using the VM method.

At first, with the VM method, no boot.  A bit desperate, I downloaded a beta BIOS file that Asus provided me.  Mainly it was designed to fix the fact that Config Lock setting in the older BIOS didn't work.   This time it seemed as if it did, because when I tested with the OC MSR utility, it said I was now unlocked.

But I still couldn't boot.  Finally I added back into my config.plist RTC0 (shouldn't need it), an RTC patch (again shouldn't need it), and two setting that are designed to compensate for Config Lock (the first two in Kernel -> Quirks) failure issues.   And finally the dam thing booted.  I'm in it right now. 

But guess what?  The same EFI that worked in my booting Big Sur Beta 3 disk does not boot the USB Install disk.  The EFI from the working USB install disk for Beta 2 wouldn't boot it either.  

I would really like to get the USB install disk working.  I've tried JumpStartHotPlug, Enable Jumpstart, setting CSR to 0000000, to 77080000, and nothing.  Can't get it to boot and can't get the recovery partition to work either. 

Until now.  I just made another change and the USB install worked for the first time, ever.   I am posting my config.plist (minus some personal info) in case it might help others, but with a beta bios, and an Asus X299 system that is very particular in the way it boots, well, I'm not sure it will help anyone.  If you've got a Z370, Z390, Z490, forget it.  I sincerely doubt it will work. But in case it might, well, here it is.....reading here how many are struggling with trying to get Beta 3 to just boot, well, maybe it will help somebody.

Added:  I forgot, I used the latest OC files (compiled yesterday) and the latest kext files also.

Booting USB config.plist

Great.

Base on your boot-args, csr-active-config, Driver efi, kexts, OC build on 7/26 works here now.

After remove unnecessary Driver efi, kexts, I can boot to installed Beta 3, and Installer via OC with MacPro6.1 now.

Thanks a lot.:thumbsup_anim:

Edited by crazybirdy
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, arsradu said:

Also, I don't know why, but I can't seem to be able to disable SIP from Recovery. It says it's disabled and I have to reboot to see the changes, but...it's still enabled (if I left it enabled) when checking its status via: "csrutil status". In other words, no matter what you do in Recovery, doesn't seem to affect the live system. But I'm probably missing something... There are a ton of new things with Big Sur, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was yet another bug.

Still, weird that it just "fixed" itself in your case... My guess is that it might have something to do with the NVRAM. But what...I don't know.

I have exact same findings: I can disable SIP in Recovery, but it doesn't stick once booted into BS. I've tried playing with NVRAM and can show in Terminal that it's working but it doesn't fix the SIP issue.

Using OC v060 25 July, I think there's a problem with how the APFS Recovery is being read. Only a ScanPolicy of 0 will allow booting into Recovery (I tried many combinations) and that doesn't make sense according the OC docs. It would seem that OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK + OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK + OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_APFS + OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_SASEX + OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_NVME should work (even the first 1 alone doesn't work). So either Apple has something different going on with the Recovery APFS partition that perhaps will change with future betas, or, some OC changes need to be made to allow for the BS differences in the BS Recovery partition (if they prove to be permanent).

• Like 1

MSI X299 just cannot go further than PCI configuration end, 11 devices 21 bridges. Doesn’t matter if I use old bios or newest one. Get same error in OC and Clover. I have SSDT_AWAC.aml in ACPI patched folder. Maybe Clover and OC need update. 
I can boot Beta 2 perfectly though.

Edited by d5aqoep

3 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

Have tried it.

No lucky here.:(

Me too, now.  I seem to have lost kext injection, even on installations that worked yesterday.  I'm thinking that kextcache may be the solution and that KCPM Utility Pro may be the only app that lets you run kextcache on a drive that you are not booted in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazybirdy said:

Great.

Base on your boot-args, csr-active-config, Driver efi, kexts, OC build on 7/26 works here now.

After remove unnecessary Driver efi, kexts, I can boot to installed Beta 3, and Installer via OC with MacPro6.1 now.

Thanks a lot.:thumbsup_anim:

Can you share your installer EFI please.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:59 AM, d5aqoep said:

I have SSDT_AWAC.aml in ACPI patched folder. Maybe Clover and OC need update.

Maybe is needed new unknown SSDT-XXXX.aml?

From another side - Open Core has no additional SSDT and has no stop on this place.

P.S. @d5aqoep just I have similar behavior on my hack b2 and also b3

Edited by yapan4

Being a Hackintosher purely means loving messing around with things, even though you know that they might break. Well messing around this time helped me to fix things like sleep&wake proper in BS beta 3 :thumbsup_anim:. In my laptop I have a Radeon HD 8790M, which surely is not supported by MacOS and at the same time is required for my HDMI audio to work. All along it was also the culprit in breaking my sleep/wake, where it was causing the laptop to take too long to sleep and after that waking it up will cause KP.

Well you just won't believe how I accidentally got it fixed :w00t: and all this occurred while I was just fooling around :blowup:. Let me put it in step by step, as the geniuses might do greater things with it:

1. I googled "Radeon HD 8790M Hackintosh and got to "All supported AMD GPUs from MacOS Mojave Beta 11"

2. I discovered that my GFX was not in the list of support :no:

3. Let me try my luck and who knows ...........:unsure:

4. I went to /S/L/E/AMD8000Controller.kext, Show Package Contents, Contents, and opened Info.plist with TextEdit.

5. I added my GPU Device ID 0X66061002 in two places I found with the other Device IDs and saved the Info.plist

6. sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

7. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

8. sudo touch -f /System/Library/Extensions/

9. sudo kmutil install --update-all

10. sudo kcditto

11. Reboot

My laptop is now sleeping fast and waking properly, without KP and who knows what else. Yes I could not get my GFX working, but I now have a good proper sleep and I am so happy :guitar:  

• Like 8

Thanks to the EFI from @htanh034 (thanks again mate), I finally manage to do a clean install on a spare SSD. The EFI works both for Catalina & BS (though I lost BT but it's not that important right now). What I don't understand is that if I remove USBInjectAll, which is not supposed to work on Ryzen, BS doesn't boot anymore. I should not care to understand why it is so as long as it's booting, but it's not in my nature. Does anyone have an explanation ?

2 hours ago, bisdak4920 said:

Can you share your installer EFI please.

Now I can boot to installed Beta 3 via Clover 5119 moded and OC 0.6.0 7/26 build.

But I still need VM-method to install Big Sur.

The attached is OC 0.6.0 7/26 build works fine here.

EFI-i3-2100.zip

Edited by crazybirdy
  • Like 1

Strangely today I make a test of my wifi program for BS not because I don't have wifi, I have a native BCM it's just for Beta 3 adjustment I was pleasantly surprised to see my volume icon at reboot :lol:

this on all the machines I have tested:guitar:

Spoiler

26125452.thumb.png.8adba90333d389968ebdb651d95c7db8.png

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Strangely today I make a test of my wifi program for BS not because I don't have wifi, I have a native BCM it's just for Beta 3 adjustment I was pleasantly surprised to see my volume icon at reboot :lol:

this on all the machines I have tested:guitar:

Can i get a copy of your icons? They look fantastic.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I'm back an now I have my brightness slider in control panel working, I have my chosen name in the start disk...

i hope you guys want to know how I achieved this, right? I'll tell you right away... I have another USB installer with BS Beta 2, reinstalled it in my spare ssd ... and all works... is it weird or not? LoL ...

Captura de ecrã 2020-07-26, às 14.38.46.png

Captura de ecrã 2020-07-26, às 14.39.20.png

Captura de ecrã 2020-07-26, às 14.44.10.png

Edited by MorenoAv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've finally managed to upgrade directly from Catalina today after tweaking and tweaking. The Geekbench scores are really good, better than on Catalina actually, I have wifi+bluetooth working and all my Apple ecosystem connected. That's a great Sunday :) (though I still don't understand why I have to use USBInjectAll)

Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 17.27.31.png

Edited by OrpheusInHell
  • Like 1

So I'm back here after a busy but successful day to install Big Sur on my AMD system. :yes:

The installation process went smoothly in four steps

The start after disk selection :

Spoiler

IMG_0701.thumb.JPG.1eb26ce3ca1bcb7ae6ddef5a0dc55a62.JPG

First reboot :

Spoiler

IMG_0703.thumb.JPG.4608a3c90950ff5411cf21f8441a6294.JPG

Second reboot :

Spoiler

IMG_0704.thumb.JPG.ba3f0244b87d05733c9ea4f1e55827df.JPG

Then after a brief third reboot , the goal on the next reboot : the country selector :thumbsup_anim: :

Spoiler

IMG_0705.thumb.JPG.5797db7a42e3f755995862feb81c3fd6.JPG

All seems OK after log screen , I have to do some adjstments  like to fixe the famous name "preboot" for Big Sur start up disk and so on...

Spoiler

Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 08.08.30.png

Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 08.08.30.png

Edited by Loloflat6
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, fuzzylogic said:

Anyone know how to install kext in Big Sur?

Yes, just follow the snapshots delete guide a few pages back and you can install as you like.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

Now I can boot to installed Beta 3 via Clover 5119 moded and OC 0.6.0 7/26 build.

But I still need VM-method to install Big Sur.

The attached is OC 0.6.0 7/26 build works fine here.

EFI-i3-2100.zip

@crazybirdy please share your Clover beta 3 install EFI. I got Beta 2 working but still no go with Beta 3

@MorenoAv - Happy you got it sorted, the only thing out of whack on my system is the non appearance of the Startup Disk in System Preferences. Could do me a favour and upload your config.plist without your personal data so that I can do a comparison with my own - Thanks.

Hi @eSaF

I sorted all but in beta 2, beta 3 is the champion of weirdness... but just for kicks this ssd satays with beta 2 until the next or until the final release in case some weirdness in future betas come to our machines... 

Here it is my config.plist, but is equal to the one that I installed beta 3... LoL ...

config.plist

16 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

Hi @eSaF

I sorted all but in beta 2, beta 3 is the champion of weirdness... but just for kicks this ssd satays with beta 2 until the next or until the final release in case some weirdness in future betas come to our machines... 

Here it is my config.plist, but is equal to the one that I installed beta 3... LoL ...

config.plist

Ok thanks pal I understand - cheers 

• Thanks 1