[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

I've successfully updated from ß2 to ß3 using the 3970X VM in my signature. However, I have the Preboot label on the boot drive, not BigSur as intended. I'd like to change this, but I cannot seem to get into Recovery to disable csrutil. I had this same problem with ß2 Recovery; I could not boot into Recovery on Big Sur.

I can boot into Catalina Recovery just not Big Sur Recovery, so this makes me think that it's a BigSur APFS / OpenCore issue.

I tried many things, the first simply being to use the OC v060 that I use to boot into Big Sur (kexts and everything seems to work when booted into Big Sur). If I use this boot EFI, then I get an error saying "OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported".  This message then loops back to the OC menu each time the Big Sur Recovery disk is selected. (BTW, EnableJumpstart and JumpstartHotPlug are enabled.)

As some have suggested on this thread, I've tried adding apfs.efi or ApfsDriverLoader.efi, but these do not help much. They do show the Apple logo with a progress bar that goes ~5% and stops. When verbose is active, it stops as shown in image below (boot arguments are "-v vsmcgen=1"; oddly it says no kexts are loaded...)

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Spoiler

Failed_Recovery.thumb.jpg.02d51a6ea0d1cf1f6d662c37d939d48c.jpg

Edited by iGPU

23 minutes ago, iGPU said:

I've successfully updated from ß2 to ß3 using the 3970X VM in my signature. However, I have the Preboot label on the boot drive, not BigSur as intended. I'd like to change this, but I cannot seem to get into Recovery. I had this same problem with ß2 Recovery; I could not boot into Recovery on Big Sur.

I can boot into Catalina Recovery just not Big Sur Recovery, so this makes me think that it's a BigSur APFS / OpenCore issue.

I tried many things, the first simply being to use the OC v060 that I use to boot into Big Sur (kexts and everything seems to work when booted into Big Sur). If I use this boot EFI, then I get an error saying "OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported".  This message then loops back to the OC menu each time the Big Sur Recovery disk is selected. (BTW, EnableJumpstart and JumpstartHotPlug are enabled.)

As some have suggested on this thread, I've tried adding apfs.efi or ApfsDriverLoader.efi, but these do not help much. They do show the Apple logo with a progress bar that goes ~5% and stops. When verbose is active, it stops as shown in image below (boot arguments are "-v vsmcgen=1"; oddly it says no kexts are loaded...)

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Hide contents

Failed_Recovery.thumb.jpg.02d51a6ea0d1cf1f6d662c37d939d48c.jpg

It looks like your KP is being caused by the apfs.efi file you have in OC.  It is conflicting with the apfs.efi file in the prelinked kernel.

9 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

It looks like your KP is being caused by the apfs.efi file you have in OC.  It is conflicting with the apfs.efi file in the prelinked kernel.

I didn't necessarily want to use, but tried this approach. If I don't use, and just use the regular EFI for booting into BigSur, then I get the "OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported" error that loops back to menu system.

16 minutes ago, iGPU said:

I didn't necessarily want to use, but tried this approach. If I don't use, and just use the regular EFI for booting into BigSur, then I get the "OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported" error that loops back to menu system.

JumpstartHotPlug=Yes

6 hours ago, fusion71au said:

Already answered here.  Once Big_Sur volume sealed after installation, AFAIK, you can't unseal it.

If you want to easily access your Big_Sur volume from older macOS, you have to prevent sealing before it happens in the first place eg use @ASentientBot's hax2 to patch the Installer.  I don't recommend the "UpdateOptions.plist method" since this seems to interfere with deleting APFS snapshots later on.

sudo mv ~/Downloads/disk_label.contentDetails /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails

The UUID is unique to your own system and is actually the UUID of your Big_Sur — Data⁩ volume.  Easiest way to find out the UUID value is to list the contents of Preboot - from terminal (after mounting the Preboot volume with sudo diskutil mount diskXsY), type...

ls -l /System/Volumes/Preboot 

Also can see in Finder...

Reveal hidden contents

630284290_PrebootUUID.thumb.png.9c83808a1c03695c2412669cddf478a3.png

Not OK, (Operation not permitted)

Preboot.png

Edited by luky35
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrey1970 said:

JumpstartHotPlug=Yes

Thanks, but I've already set this to 'Yes' (as mentioned in original post here).

With APFS/HideVerbose disabled, I see the following:

Spoiler

APFS-Verbose.thumb.jpg.eec3094271074bdcc5a6a74001a41fd2.jpg

Edited by iGPU
added apfs verbose image

6 hours ago, eSaF said:

Guys have a look in System Preferences/Startup Disk and see if the Big Sur disk is there. I am dual booting with Windows and only that disk is showing. To make BS show I have to mount all the volumes on the BS disk, I am wondering if it is a bug or just my machine.

Hide contents

1848433250_Screenshot2020-07-24at00_13_24.png.ea8410270062935d797dbb1cf46fd4e6.png182488960_Screenshot2020-07-24at00_15_14.png.89ba09c96dea9d93d0925467922cfd40.png

Above image after mounting all BS volumes.

Yeah, same here. And I wasn't paying attention to it with previous betas, but yeah, I think that might be a bug.

Also, interestingly enough, now I can boot into Recovery without the apfs.efi file. Just with JumpstartHotplug set to Yes. Not sure what changed, but I'm glad it works now.

Edit: sorry, my bad. It does show up if you mount it. But for some reason now it shows the currently booted system and the Bootcamp partition but not the other partition with Big Sur on it (which is still mounted). :)) Is it limited to two disks in the UI? :))

Edited by arsradu
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AppleBreak said:

Set your ScanPolicy to 0 then try.

This looks like a good suggestion!

It booted further into Recovery than before, stopping at image below.

Spoiler

BS-Recovery.thumb.jpg.592cb2e75b92475dfcaa1399acc974cc.jpg

14 hours ago, fusion71au said:

Already answered here.  Once Big_Sur volume sealed after installation, AFAIK, you can't unseal it.

If you want to easily access your Big_Sur volume from older macOS, you have to prevent sealing before it happens in the first place eg use @ASentientBot's hax2 to patch the Installer.  I don't recommend the "UpdateOptions.plist method" since this seems to interfere with deleting APFS snapshots later on.

sudo mv ~/Downloads/disk_label.contentDetails /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails

The UUID is unique to your own system and is actually the UUID of your Big_Sur — Data⁩ volume.  Easiest way to find out the UUID value is to list the contents of Preboot - from terminal (after mounting the Preboot volume with sudo diskutil mount diskXsY), type...

ls -l /System/Volumes/Preboot 

Also can see in Finder...

Reveal hidden contents

630284290_PrebootUUID.thumb.png.9c83808a1c03695c2412669cddf478a3.png

Disable authenticated root SIP by setting csr-active-config to 77080000 in OC's config.plist, then reset NVRAM through the OC boot menu.  Alternatively, with blank csr-active-config setting, boot to Recovery/Big Sur Installer and run csrutil disable, then csrutil authenticated-root disable in terminal.

Added to config.plist number 77080000 and Preboot changed to macOS Big Sur.

Many thanks fusion71au

Edited by luky35

Have any of you guys tried the new VP9 decoding feature of Safari in Beta 3? I can't seem to get it to work... I mean, it's enabled in Developer options, it's just not giving me the options for resolutions higher than 1080p in YouTube for example.

Such as this video: 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The same issues as B1 to B2 plague me again when trying to get from B2 to B3. I ran the update command in CLI and it says the update can't be installed because I'm not snapshot booted. I've made attempts to fix this by deleting snapshots and creating/linking a new one but it still doesn't boot to a snapshot.

This all could be a side effect of my install originally being done in a VM, my coffee lake laptop still has issues installing on bare metal with VirtualSMC or FakeSMC, the initial write never completes (obviously) as it goes to reboot too soon, then stage 2 wont run because data is missing.

10 minutes ago, ileikcaek said:

The same issues as B1 to B2 plague me again when trying to get from B2 to B3. I ran the update command in CLI and it says the update can't be installed because I'm not snapshot booted.

I eventually fixed it by enabling SIP with 00000000 on my Dell E7470 but I can't do that on my Z170-P rig as I suspect my NVRAM is not working properly. Actually, it works fine while booting with Clover (System Integrity Protection status: enabled) but not with OpenCore (System Integrity Protection status: unknown (Custom Configuration). I've cleared/reseted NVRAM many times. Also tried to use Emulated NVRAM as per Dortonia's guide without any success (nvram.plist not created).

But even with SIP fully enabled with Clover, the error persists :wallbash:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@arsradu - Thanks for checking that out, yes it does show up if you manually mount that particular volume. In Beta1 & 2 the operation was normal where you could choose the start up disk without having to mount the disk. I was about to do a recovery or even a full install to see if I could correct the glitch but on reading your post, I decided against that idea so thanks - Yea I know I am quirky like that even though it is still a Beta :lol: - Good job on solving your Recovery glitch without the app.efi file hopefully going forward towards the Public Release, the Golden Master and the Final we won't encounter any major surprises and it will be smooth sailing or is that wishful thinking on my part? :whistle:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ileikcaek said:
The same issues as B1 to B2 plague me again when trying to get from B2 to B3. I ran the update command in CLI and it says the update can't be installed because I'm not snapshot booted. I've made attempts to fix this by deleting snapshots and creating/linking a new one but it still doesn't boot to a snapshot.

This all could be a side effect of my install originally being done in a VM, my coffee lake laptop still has issues installing on bare metal with VirtualSMC or FakeSMC, the initial write never completes (obviously) as it goes to reboot too soon, then stage 2 wont run because data is missing.

My coffee lake laptop i7-9750H works great with Catalina and Big Sur. I’ll update this post with my EFI folder folder soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SavageAUS
  • Like 2

@eSaF I actually noticed the same issue on my MBP initially. Didn't pay much attention to it with previous Betas, but now that you mentioned it, then this looks more and more like a bug with Beta 3.

As for the wishful thinking...personally, I like to think positive. Cause I believe, when we do that, positive things happen. Call ma naive, if you want. I don't care. I've seen it working way too many times before to know it can't be a coincidence. I also don't believe in coincidences. Cause that would mean that I also believe in random. And I don't think that anything that's happening with us, to us, is random, or can be random. I think we just don't know the reason for it...yet. :) So..., to answer your question, no, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was pretty much smooth sailing going forward.

I still couldn't figure out how to fix the "preboot" issue, but it doesn't really bother me that much, especially since I know it's also an issue on real Macs. Yeah, I have tried enabling/disabling SIP...but no change on my side.

Anyway, as I said, I don't really mind it that much. :)) Hopefully next betas will fix this one, too.

• Like 5

@arsradu Ok so you're saying Positive Thinking is the order of the day going forward - I like that - so Positive Thinking it is. :thumbsup_anim:

I have notice with this new OS X version, with reading the posts, so many different results on the various machines, some good and some not so good, for instance the Start Up Disk not showing up unless I mount it I am experiencing yet others are not having that problem - Just weird. 

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

My coffee lake laptop i7-9750H works great with Catalina and Big Sur. I’ll update this post with my EFI folder folder soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7 9750H is 'refresh' coffee lake I think and I believe chipsets are the same, I have i5 8300H. Still it's quite odd the issues I've been having with updating or installing bare metal but it working fine if the install is done via a VM, but then it doesn't appear to ever snapshot boot and only live boots the disk so updating isn't possible. If I attempt to install via the 12.88GB Beta 3 installer it begins counting down the minutes but at 12 minutes remaining it jumps to restart, but the MacOS install partition it creates does not boot because the previous data write obviously failed.

I have seen some others have had similar issues around Beta 2 release, but I never found a solution and ended up just installing beta 2 to my SSD using vmware. I knew for sure I'd have issues at Beta 3 again though.