[pre-release] macOS Big Sur in VMWare

1,188 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, MacPato said:

The installer doesn't need SMC . The problem is boot.efi now does everything, and prelinked kernel is no longer being copied over, AvoidruntimeDefrag is also crashing the kernel. you can try to boot from a prelinked but doesn't boot past 2nd stage. so my guess is aptio related, as far as i know, OC should be fixed tomorrow from what i've been told and new versions of Lilu and VSmc will come with it. and of course we all will have to start using -lilubetaall again.

Wait, so the boot.efi now does the smc checks directly to the hardware?

What about the memory allocation? has it been chaned?

2 hours ago, IMS21 said:

To clear things up, the issue currently as far as I can tell is that the prelinkedkernel is no longer made/copied and now boot.efi does all the work, so until opencore and clover can replicate that behavior of finding the prelinkedkernel we will either have to somehow make one and get it to boot, or wait for them to add that functionality.

it was mentioned earlier here and on other forums. Memory Allocation isn't working for now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacPato said:

Has anyone managed to get a KVM working yet, Proxmox etc, I know Foxlet has managed to get Simple KVM Going, any luck?

someone claims no special hacks are needed under qemu

https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/hemldt/finally_got_big_sur_under_qemu/

Also, the macos-simple-kvm does not work for big sur, you have to install catalina then upgrade from catalina

https://github.com/foxlet/macOS-Simple-KVM/issues/250#issuecomment-647807627

Edited by gigel
clickable url

Has anyone managed to get a KVM working yet, Proxmox etc, I know Foxlet has managed to get Simple KVM Going, any luck?

Installing Catalina on my unraid server now and will test updating it to big sur once it’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Installing Catalina on my unraid server now and will test updating it to big sur once it’s done.

Would be interested in your findings

Would be interested in your findings

The vm I’m creating uses clover as it’s boot loader so I’m unsure how it will go, I’ve never used OpenCore on kvm so it will be trial and error.

This isn't the same as getting it to run on a computer I know, but I updated a MacOS VM in VMWare Workstation, it took quite some time but eventually I was presented with the Big Sur login screen, however when I type the password to log in a loading wheel shows up for a few seconds, the screen flashes black then the login screen comes up again.

I am wondering if the changes they made to the UI are requiring full graphics acceleration which of course VMWare can't provide. Either that or the user account is corrupt but I haven't been able to get into Big Sur recovery mode to try again as the recovery partition doesn't appear to be there in this VM.

5 minutes ago, ileikcaek said:

This isn't the same as getting it to run on a computer I know, but I updated a MacOS VM in VMWare Workstation, it took quite some time but eventually I was presented with the Big Sur login screen, however when I type the password to log in a loading wheel shows up for a few seconds, the screen flashes black then the login screen comes up again.

I am wondering if the changes they made to the UI are requiring full graphics acceleration which of course VMWare can't provide. Either that or the user account is corrupt but I haven't been able to get into Big Sur recovery mode to try again as the recovery partition doesn't appear to be there in this VM.

i found when i was installing on my macpro 5,1 for the first time i had the same issue, once i was at the login, had to swap it out for a native metal card. the non accelerated UI is horrible and slow AF

Well, until a solution appears for Hacks, today I managed to install macOS Big Sur in my real Mac mini 2018, at work ... I like it, but was painful slow to install with an usb installer that I had made for installing in my hack at home.

The funny thing is that it updated my existing macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and until now is working as it should...

Spoiler

Captura de ecrã 2020-06-24, às 11.56.36.png

• Like 4

9 pages and as far as i have seen, not a single hackintosh successful installation reported.

(VMs and Apple Hardware is different story).

Seems that big changes happened under the hood, previously it took only a few hours to get a bootable macOS new release.

Finally this morning the MacOS Big Sur downloaded (damn Apple and your Servers).

Let’s see if i can manage to get it to boot.

Hopes are dim for now but will at least attempt

to figure out what the problem may be.

• Like 7

Maybe installer was slow, but after one day of using I really like that UI. Especially light theme is really nice. After OS is done with initial indexing it feels really smooth on my old MacBook. I like the Big Sur, ;)

6 minutes ago, Sniki said:

9 pages and as far as i have seen, not a single hackintosh successful installation reported.

Seems that big changes happened under the hood, previously it took only a few hours to get a bootable macOS new release.

Finally this morning the MacOS Big Sur downloaded (damn Apple and your Servers).

You won’t with current Clover or OpenCore. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sniki said:

You can boot, it’s pretty complicated though.

https://applelife.ru/threads/ustanovka-macos-big-sur-11-0-10-16-beta-na-intel-pc.2944999/page-25#post-882628

All thanks to @vandroiy2012

Regards

Edited by black.dragon74

1 hour ago, Sniki said:

spectacular observation, the toughest OS of the last decade ??

Guys... last warning!!!

I would not want this to sound like censoring, but I already told you to not posting about your experience with macOS Big Sur on your real macs in hackintosh section, that we already have a dedicated place for such discussion. 

This community is based on real work/research from our developers and when they have something concrete, they will tell us. 

To recap, here are the links for these dedicated sections

Apple

VM

BR

fantomas

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

i managed to get the installer booting (used the app and installed it to another internal drive) with OC, it shows apple logo and the usual purple lines you would get back in the day then it boots to a black screen, I changed only a couple of things to my config (disabled AvoidRuntimeDefrag in Booter->Quirks,  and added -lilubetaall to the boot arguments) will play around more changing stuff to see what works

Edited by notsnsone
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 11:19 AM, notsnsone said:

i managed to get the installer booting (used the app and installed it to another internal drive) with OC, it shows apple logo and the usual purple lines you would get back in the day then it boots to a black screen, I changed only a couple of things to my config (disabled AvoidRuntimeDefrag in Booter->Quirks,  and added -lilubetaall to the boot arguments) will play around more changing stuff to see what works

I can confirm this. I've been able to get pretty far into Verbose mode disabling AvoidRuntimeDefrag and adding -lilubetaall flag. But it hangs later in boot for me. I've got the purple lines as well

Spoiler

IMG_20200624_171043.jpg

On 6/24/2020 at 12:11 PM, deke said:

I can confirm this. I've been able to get pretty far into Verbose mode disabling AvoidRuntimeDefrag and adding -lilubetaall flag. But it hangs later in boot for me. I've got the purple lines as well

it will eventually boot if you wait a few minutes, mine goes into black screen however it's not frozen (i usually test caps lock for hardware freezes). The purple lines appear around the AGDP line. Here a look the my screen before booting to black screen

Spoiler

IMG_20200624_183036.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, notsnsone said:

it will eventually boot if you wait a few minutes, mine goes into black screen however it's not frozen (i usually test caps lock for hardware freezes)

Thanks for the update!!:)