[pre-release] macOS Big Sur in VMWare

1,188 posts in this topic

@Slice I will do once I got it to work on my RMBP Mid 2014. Unfortunately the upgrade failed. Boot did freeze on the loading bar after GPU drivers initialization. Fresh install of Big Sur does stop booting there as well. Not sure why.

I have Big Sur on my MacBook Pro 2013 late 15inch, but Darwin dumper does this weirdly..even having ran sudo spctl --master-disable. 

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 1.38.48 AM.png

I got it to open by right clicking, yay!

• Sad 1

Using it right now on my Mac Mini

It needs some polishing most definately

I dislike the roundness in the drop-down menus in the menubar

I also found a bug

Disabling SIP makes it so the recovery partition does not boot, meaning that when I disable it reenabling it will require me to break-out a restore USB drive

55 minutes ago, Slice said:

1. I want Clover.

2. Look for a file /EFI/CLOVER/misc/EfiCalls.log

Is there anybody with real Mac can provide DarwinDumper report (yes, make it private!) with the new system?

here's the output of darwindumper from my MacBook

DarwinDumper_3.1.1_2020.06.23_02.16.11_MacBookPro11,3_Apple_X64_Unknown_20A4299v_benfitzpatrick.zip

Edited by benmacfreak
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, PMheart said:

Hello,

I am sorry that I might be unable to help, if OpenCore fails to load kexts...

PMheart

Of course i meant for Clover users, i know that OpenCore shouldn’t have that problem and i use OpenCore anyway

On 6/22/2020 at 5:16 PM, Riley Freeman said:

Same here. Presumably it will only show up if you have a supported Mac. Try changing your SMBIOS if necessary.

Spoiler

EbI4RlqWsAA0S39.jpg

I see they drop support for 2012 (Ivy Bridge) and HD 4000 graphics 

Guest ricoc90
25 minutes ago, luki1979 said:

I see they drop support for 2012 (Ivy Bridge) and HD 4000 graphics 

Yeah. However on macrumors some did successfully install Big Sur on their pre-retina 2012 Macbook Pro with HD4000 with the only issue being non-functional WiFi. 

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-11-big-sur-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/post-28590125

Edited by ricoc90

11 hours ago, CMMChris said:

Transport route / bus doesn't matter. KEXT family does. Network KEXTs are deprecated since Catalina and likely unsupported in Bug Sur. Apple's network drivers have partially transitioned to DEXTs with Catalina already.

Wrong. The kernel API for network **filter** is deprecated. Network hardware drivers are not. With the exception of usb network drivers (as any other usb driver).

Source: https://developer.apple.com/support/kernel-extensions

It was exactly my end result with OpenCore 0.6.0...

1 minute ago, BALDY_MAN said:

made a usb just get a apple logo with no progress bar. with Ozmosis bios hackintosh

Guest ricoc90
2 hours ago, luki1979 said:

Graphics probably not fully accelerated too. Next big updated will take away support from 2013-2014 and we will not have wifi at all. All the Hackintoshes use 2013-2014 wifi chips, that is if 10.16 is even hackintoshable? I don't think with current FakeSMC or VirtualSMC anyway

As far as the reports go, I would say that the graphics are fully accelerated unless I understand you wrong, However, regarding to Wifi: Yeah, it seems that Apple completely dropped brcm4360

14 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

As far as the reports go, I would say that the graphics are fully accelerated unless I understand you wrong, However, regarding to Wifi: Yeah, it seems that Apple completely dropped brcm4360

Hmm.. Really? None of the supported macs use brcm4360? As far as I know it has been used in MacBook pros, MacBooks, iMac, not just iMac 2013-14 models? I hope you are wrong.

Is there any good option to replace it with and that will be 100% compatible with all the Bluetooth features in macOS?

Edited by Common_Sense
  • Sad 1

Ok so 2012 Macs use BCM4360... and BCM4331..., and 2013/14 are using BCM94360... and BCM94331... I don't think it's the same chip as you probably noticed number 9 in there. For now people on macrumors cannot get 2012 wifi chips to work and probably never will.

About Wifi bad news, apple has dropped also AirPortBrcm4360 driver 

Edited by luki1979
  • Sad 1

Guest ricoc90
26 minutes ago, luki1979 said:

Ok so 2012 Macs use BCM4360... and BCM4331..., and 2013/14 are using BCM94360... and BCM94331... not sure if it's the same chip as you probably noticed number 9 in there. For now people on macrumors cannot get 2012 wifi chips to work.   

I guess the 94360 ones are using the BrcmNIC driver which was introduced in High Sierra I believe, whereas the 4360 ones are using the brcm4360 driver which indeed is reported as being removed from the IO80211Family.kext plugins

Edit: My late 2012 mac mini seems to have the BCM94331PCIEBT3AX

Edited by ricoc90

1 hour ago, Kynyo said:

Download Big Sur full installer from installinstallmacos.py using the parameters like this:

sudo /Volumes/xxx/xxxx/macadmin-scripts-main/installinstallmacos.py --seedprogram DeveloperSeed.

A dmg will be created automatically after download with Install macOS Beta.app inside.

hi...

sorry dummy question from a dummy guy..but could you detail how use that script....what to put instead 

xxx/xxxx..and/or what else..

thank you..

c.frio

11 minutes ago, C.Frio said:

hi...

sorry dummy question from a dummy guy..but could you detail how use that script....what to put instead 

thank you..

c.frio

Copy and paste on terminal window

curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/main/installinstallmacos.py && sudo /usr/bin/python installinstallmacos.py --raw --seedprogram DeveloperSeed 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

I guess the 94360 ones are using the BrcmNIC driver which was introduced in High Sierra I believe, whereas the 4360 ones are using the brcm4360 driver which indeed is reported as being removed from the IO80211Family.kext plugins

Edit: My late 2012 mac mini seems to have the BCM94331PCIEBT3AX

I think it's about N type card will only be supported from now on. Will see anyway.

36 minutes ago, C.Frio said:

hi...

thank you..

c.frio

Just drag n drop the script in terminal, with sudo before.