[pre-release] macOS Big Sur in VMWare

1,188 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2020 at 10:21 PM, YukiPowa said:

So, I can boot with Installer MacOS 11 with success on my Hackintosh (Z390M Gaming)

I think clone macos already installed on my disk, WORKING (maybe :))

EFI in PJ (I have change my info) :

EFI.zip

<key>MLB</key>
<string>CHANGEWITHYOUR</string>
<key>ROM</key>
<data>CHANGEWITHYOUR</data>
<key>SystemSerialNumber</key>
<key>SystemUUID</key>

FIRST STEP:

I can format disk to APFS and start install, first step successfully

SECOND STEP:

BUT after restart, I select MacOS installer paritition on opencore

After loadbar, i select language, loadbar continue and after 5 seconds (loadbar 10%), Hackintosh restart (no crash in apparence)

Before restart, macOS search update, maybe I have no ethernet, so restart.. without message ?? :p

In verbose :

have u tried installing it with macOS Extended instead of APFS

I created external SSD with Big Sur on it and works fine on real MacBook, when you plug this drive back to Catalina it complains about disk structure etc. Apple totally changed that and that's the reason Clover will get you anywhere at the moment. My guess there would have to be totally different Bootloaders from now on. I know people are managed to boot into preinstalled drives with customised OpenCore but I doubt installation is possible. Anyway good to see community revived by this challange.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, YukiPowa said:

man are you ethernet on installer ?

check with safari please

And for your error, Check if you have enabled disable_watchdog in config.plist on opencore

Network access are unnecessary during installation and since all those kexts cannot be loaded, only those oob cards may work. Also, the watchdog in OpenCore is related to the UEFI services, and has no use after macOS kernel is booted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cryosat7 said:

I'm running this of a i5 6400k 24gb ddr4 and IGPU for gfx.

I see well then I’ll wait for a bit more development gets done on the boot loader front till I try playing around as the hardware I would test it on is very similar. I may have to dive in to OC as I’ve been on clover. We will see. ” Slice, gde ti brat Jan? Pamagi nam fse” (in my broken Russian with latin letters.

• Haha 1

Well today I have time and removed my 2 others ssd from my machine and downloaded and tried to install macOS Big Sur, with my EFI Folder from Catalina, with AvoidRuntimeDefrag=False and it boots until this point as you all can see below... After rebooting and booting macOS Catalina it halts at the same point...

curious...

PS Sorry for the super dirty monitor ... :wink_anim:

Spoiler

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

Hi Guys, I saw that you got busy with the new Big Sur. I want to try to help you out, but my SMBIOS is too old to support Big Sur. Which one do you recommend to make it compatible? Thanks

i5-4210u 

HD 4400

On 6/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, Cyberdevs said:

Finally booted into macOS Big Sur installer on my Haswell rig using iMac18,1 AMBIOS to avoid the black screen but it's stuck at 3 minutes

should take a few minutes before it restarts, then it will take you aprox another 30 minutes or so.

2 minutes ago, tore2003 said:

No one using Clover? 
What happens if I use the EFI file of opencore in the EFI file that I use for Clover

Only I know that OpenCore uses different Kexts and drivers, and amounts many other things, but you could probably just replace the whole thing.
You will have to setup the config file, and some drivers, unsure if that breaks the current system.

3 minutes ago, tore2003 said:

No one using Clover? 
What happens if I use the EFI file of opencore in the EFI file that I use for Clover

it won't work, there are many differences between these bootloaders.