The Ultimate Web Browser

Swad

461 posts in this topic

When I had Macs I was using the Intel Core Duo/Core 2 Duo optimized builds for Camino. It simply spanked Safari and all other browsers - except for maybe Opera for OSX - to the ground. It was fast, lean, beautiful, and I was very happy with it. I sortakinda wish I knew enough about coding and programming; if I did I'd take something out there and create the best browser ever seen, but alas, I'm not, and I can't, so I won't...

I use IE7 now on Vista just because it works, it's fast, and I have no issues with it whatsoever. Firefox... don't get me started. I do have Opera 9 installed as a backup but rarely if ever use it.

Someone pointed me to Swift a few days ago. It's fast, but it's not that fast... not yet. But, it shows promise. If they can pursue it and make it happen, it could become a contender. Right now, however, it has a very very long way to go.

bb

I would say

Firefox on Linux - works great as always and fit into linux wery well

Opera on windows - is the fastest but regiure some other browser (some pages just don't like Opera)

Safari on OS X - Is fastest on OS X and has mac fell ( I use alot dictonary (point mouse on some word and press Crtl + windows + d) I only miss adblock, I will meaby swith to Firefox when native coca port come FF 3.

Edited by alicheusz

I switch my browser allegiance like the wind, but for now it's Firefox 2.01 on my XP and OS X installs. One thing I love about OS X over XP, is if I set FF to be my default, it WILL be respected as the default. on XP, I hathe how some apps will trigger IE to load even when you have set FF as the default.

I used to use Safari on OS X, but it doesn't have all the features of FF that I like and it eats memory for breakfast. I found it using up to 200mb once, when FF only gets up to about 60mb.

I've been all over the place with browsers. IE6, IE7, Firefox on Windows; Safari, Firefox, Camino, Shiira, OmniWeb, soon to try Opera.

I used Camino for the longest time until I found several RSS feeds that would make me a bit more productive... then I realized Camino has absolutely no RSS support yet. It recognizes the feeds, but can't display them in the browser. :unsure: So back to Firefox.

I'm trying to decide which format of RSS feeds I like best: the Live Bookmark way in Firefox, or the WebKit-based way Shiira and Safari do it. *shrug*

EDIT: Firefox just owned Opera in every way imaginable. It will stay my primary browser for the near future; if it goes fully Cocoa that will be amazing. If Camino can implement RSS in the style Firefox does so I'll switch back in a second.

Edited by ErBiC

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, is there a way to "retrieve" the temporary files in Firefox? By retreive I mean, for example, when you go to a ringtone website and listen to the sample, where is that file stored? (Yeah, I know, but it's free...lol).

Im sure you could go to the temporary folder....?

Opera's very fast, lightweight and renders accurately, but I miss my Firefox extensions under Linux and Windows.

As for Mac OS, I use Safari because nothing else feels 'right' under OS X... Well, except Camino, but that's a bit unstable.