The Ultimate Web Browser

Swad

461 posts in this topic

Safari would be perfect for what I do if it didn't have such {censored} tab overflow management, and the ability to save my password in the password form at blogs like Engadget.

Either way, I still use Safari 3.

and the ability to save my password in the password form at blogs like Engadget.

Safari Prefs > Autofill > User names and passwords doesn't work on that specific site? It works for my passwords most everywhere, and you can choose Safari > Report Bugs to Apple if they don't for a specific site.

• 1 month later...

My Intel-optimized Camino 1.5.1 is, for me, the best browser around. I've used Safari, Firefox for Mac, OmniWeb ... Camino is simply the best. Its memory usage is by far the lowest, it loads pages very quickly, and I've modded its appearance so that the bookmarks bar and main toolbar are the same color -- which looks rather awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

On Mac I use Firefox... and Windows, IE7.

I absolutely hate Safari. We have to use Safari 2 at work, and the way that it handles EVERYTHING SUCKS. (rendering pages, javascripts, flash movies)

I have no experience with Safari 3, though, it's "BETA", so we can't use it at work.

• 2 weeks later...

As a new Mac user I'm dreading using Safari. I think I'm gonna stick with what I know and download Firefox for Mac.

I once tried Opera on Windows 98 back in the stoneage and HATED it. For years I used IE and was constantly getting hit by viruses, spam and more. It was slow, sloppy, and took an age to load.

When I ran Firefox for the first time I was in complete awe, so much so that I've never used IE since. When Firefox 2 came out it was a dream come-true, I just hope that the Mac version is just as good.

I love Firefox on the PC, version 2 was noticeably slower than version 1.5 on our home pc (celeron 1200mhz, 512mb RAM), which wasn't so cool. Safari 3 beta is faster and very nice, but crashes a lot...

On the Mac, I haven't used anything except Safari 2 and Safari 3 and it's been nothing but a pleasure. Safari 3 with some pimped up extensions was brilliant, unfortunatly it's not compatible with CS3, which sucks!

But Safari 2 is still a great browser. I like it!

My Intel-optimized Camino 1.5.1 is, for me, the best browser around. I've used Safari, Firefox for Mac, OmniWeb ... Camino is simply the best. Its memory usage is by far the lowest, it loads pages very quickly, and I've modded its appearance so that the bookmarks bar and main toolbar are the same color -- which looks rather awesome.
I'm with you...Camino with a slightly modded GUI. I tried the Optimized For Intel build, and didn't notice any difference. Maybe you would enlighten me?

UPDATE:Here's a link to my DeviantArt page. I have a full size shot of my modded browser, and links to the mods. Props to PimpMyCamino.

http://ayanamizer00.deviantart.com/art/Mod...rowser-67886170

The watermark you see is shown every time I open a new tab. Nothing special, but it's kinda nice.

Well here I am on my shiny new iMac. I tried Safari and just as I predicted, I hated it! >.<' Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice browser and infact I can't actually pinpoint what it is that I don't like about it, there just seems to be something.. missing? I dunno. I downloaded Firefox and am happily playing about with that now.

I haven't had too much time to play around with my shiny new (old?) iBook yet, but from my experience with the Safari 3 Beta on Windows Firefox still has more goodies in my opinion, so I will probably use that most of the time.

Being an occasional web developer, I hate IE, even standards compliance has improved with 7. I never used it to browse the web - only to see how much it screwed up my pages because it is retarded!

Being an occasional web developer, I hate IE, even standards compliance has improved with 7. I never used it to browse the web - only to see how much it screwed up my pages because it is retarded!

Yep. Wise web developer you are.

I have Opera, IE, and Firefox installed at work to test web pages. On this OSx86 machine I have XP and Linux as well. It's interesting to see how different browsers on different platforms render pages. All in all, it has taught me to design for All, not for One.

Still, I prefer Opera on all platforms. The most consistent in terms of memory footprint, page rendering, and overall speed.

But all in all... it comes down to how the page was designed in the first place. A well-designed page functions the same on any browser... making the point of "best browser" rather useless.

I give them all a chance.

• 4 weeks later...

Mozilla Firefox 2. End of debate.

It has the most add-ons regarding themes and extensions. Not to mention the best add-ons of any browser.

A few that I can't live without:

Foxmarks (bookmark sycnronizer)

Ad-Block Plus (blocks ads on webpages)

Minimize to Tray (minimizes browser to system tray in both linux and windows)

ieTabs (have Internet Explorer in a tab of firefox for those stupid websites who require IE)

And, an extensive library of custom search engines.

A few that I can't live without:

Google (of course)

Wikipedia (en)

Btjunkie.org

thepiratebay.org

ebay.com

Firefox hands down the best. No question, no debate.

Sorry diehard Opera fans, it may load the fastest by a millisecond, but not the best.

On win2k@work: IE5.5

on winxp@home: Opera 9.24 & Opera 9.5b weekly

on osx10.5.1@home:Opera 9.24 & Opera 9.5b weekly

on pda htc-prophet:Opera mobile 8.x and IEmobile

With Opera-9.5 you get syncronized bookmarks as well,pew u need an opera account, but all sync addons are working with accounts, don´t they?

And O9.5 has now this nice feature of moving tabs from one window to another.

And addons?Search or look at the opera community.There are so many svripts,buttons etc out for opera.You just add a button to opera bar with a single click,e.g. to download a youtube video,no need for an addon to install and to restart the browser.

<br /><br />sg