The Ultimate Web Browser

Swad

461 posts in this topic

OSX-

Safari: I just love it. Its a really good browser and it meets acid 2 standards.

FireFox: on the side for various reasons or if im angry at Safari.

Vista-

IE7: For the longest time I used firefox only on Windows, untill IE7 that is. IE7 is a great browser and definitely on par with firefox.

Firefox: the same purpose as it has with OSX..I use it if im in the mood or if IE7 is frusturating me. It was my primary browser in XP though.

A side note- BonEcho is looking really cool!

BonEcho hasn't been touched since May of 2006. The newest release of Firefox 2.0.0.3 was in March of 2007, which is also Intel native and finalized.

Why on earth would you continue to use a year-old beta build when the final is already released?

A side note- BonEcho is looking really cool!
BonEcho hasn't been touched since May of 2006

i think he meant Gran Paradiso...

i use firefox on vista, xp and osx and foxmarks is a good plugin for keeping all of your bookmarks in sync ^_^

I just recently started using GranParadiso, codename for Firefox 3; alongside Safari, and Camino. I know its still in its alpha stage, but its actually really good, and runs much faster than Camino and Safari on my MBP....which ran faster than Firefox 2. Infact its as fast as Shiira....except 10X more stable. No crashes so far either...considering its in alpha...thats pretty good. So far all is looking good. :D

The only downside (I guess it could be considered major), is that you cant apply any of the themes/addons that are avaliable for Firefox 2 to GranParadiso (Firefox 3 Alpha)....but that doesn't really bother me too much, although I do miss some of the addons.

firefox has to be the best simply because you can make it whatever you want. I like that i can mouse over an icon in my titlebar and see the current weather radar or I can mouse over the bottom and see how many webpages ive been to in any given time. You can add anything you want and make it do whatever. What could be better.

last night i dl and tested iCab and Navigator...FF with different skin....nothing special...

Safari is the best for OS X ...

i found sunrise last week and i like the simplicity of it. the only thing i don't like is that if you type "google" in the address bar, it does a google search for that. if you type "google.com" the same thing happens, even if you type "www" with it it does it. it requires the whole http:// thing.

Opera.

Innovative, fast, low on resources, free, portable.

Shiira sucked, slow and crashed within like 2 minutes.

Safari is also plenty slow, I've learned that it's probably due to flash sucking on OS X (well, even more, if possible, flash sucks everywhere), also I guess all the flash banners which you actually have to see doesn't help. It crashes quite often over here.

Firefox/camino: Not as good as opera, thought nice plugins.

Omniweb: Haven't tried, I guess it would be very slow thought.

I've tested most of the browsers. Sunrise was so feature-anemic as to be unusable for me, Safari grates on my nerves with its peculiar rendering quirks and its lack of certain features (for example, opening target=_blank links in a new tab automatically), Firefox and Opera are ugly to me (although I love Opera on Windows), iCab didn't make an impression on me, and OmniWeb was too slow; oh, and Shiira is even now with the release of v2 buggy as hell. That leaves Camino, the browser I've always returned to, which uses the works-everywhere Gecko engine, is attractive, and has all the features I need. (Well, I had to enable some hidden preferences and download an extra preference pane to get it just the way I want it, but now it is my ideal browser.)

Opera.

Innovative, fast, low on resources, free, portable.

Shiira sucked, slow and crashed within like 2 minutes.

Safari is also plenty slow, I've learned that it's probably due to flash sucking on OS X (well, even more, if possible, flash sucks everywhere), also I guess all the flash banners which you actually have to see doesn't help. It crashes quite often over here.

Firefox/camino: Not as good as opera, thought nice plugins.

Omniweb: Haven't tried, I guess it would be very slow thought.

The safari crashes in a hackintosh are if you don't have accelerated graphics. (OGL/QE/CI). The version apple shipped with tiger was tied into OpenGL. So download the latest build for OS X off of adobe's site, and banner ads should work without crashing your browser.

• 4 weeks later...

i am writing this on a pc with 256 meg of RAM in safari, and its plenty fast enough. also, i have a sucky processor too. safari is the best - it jumps over IE7 and leaves it in the dust... :):D do you think my signature is too big?yes, its way too big... i need to change it...is my sigg still too bigg?g**-d*** it. back to the drawingboard...

not much but slightly large.......a teensy weensy bit bigger......

;):)

and i would have to say that i prefer firefox......i recentley got safari...its like vista on my comp....looks good, performance leaves much to be desired. dont get me wrong i like safari.....im using it more than firefox, and i love it, its just painfully slow.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, no browser is perfect.

Firefox - good feature, but slow on older Mac and poor RSS intergration.

Camino - none of the bad bits of firefox but none of the good bits either ;)

Safari - best looking, but not the fastest, most feature complete or compatable.

Opera - butt ugly, often incompatable

IE - nice UI on 7, but generally sucks, bad.

Flock - some awesome features, but sluggish

I have gone back to Firefox, but it is my own compiled version, so it is a bit more nimble :)