EFI finally mastered. OS X booted with an UNMODIFIED kernel.

Dr. Hurt

359 posts in this topic

The bootloader installs fine for me, but I can't use the stock kernel, as it endlessly reboots just as it did before I changed the bootloader. I'm going to do some more testing with alternative .kexts, but I'm not that confident thus far...

This is on my notebook, BTW. I haven't tried this new bootloader on the desktop yet.

** WARNING **

Backup everything you replace, including AppleSMBIOS.kext

I made a backup and pasted the one that came in the V3 PC Efi.

System booted, could not enter operating system.

Booted in single user mode, and returned AppleSMBIOS.kext where it must be.

Tiger 10.4.9

Everything else works fine!

I even got machine model detection.

Wow. This works!

Intel Core Duo T2050

Everything works, including FSB and SpeedStep

I even got my computer model and serial in system profiler, it is detected as a mac!

what did u install Jas or else?

provide some more details

i would like to try on Dell 1420 machine

what did u install Jas or else?provide some more detailsi would like to try on Dell 1420 machine
It was a 10.4.7 JaS, updated with Original Mac Update, 10.4.9Used Paulicat's SpeedStep Kernel, FSB detection just works.Made no changes to my system, just used the tools and voila.Sleep works!!!I think my system is closer to a Mac right now.Can I update using software updates?I think the only trouble with 10.4.10 is my audio.

anybody was able to successfully do this for inspiron e1505/6400 with gma950, core duo at 1.66Mhz? I assume that if sleep is not working for me in leopard at the moment it will not work with this either after put the original kernel back into the system?thanks
efi works great on mine, but as usual no dual core or sleep (dual core & sleep on dells w video chipsets other than GMA950 are reported working w sleep re-initialization trick).

Anyone needing to restore Darwin bootloader can run startupfiletool on the "boot" from /usr/standalone/i386/ (should be available on any of the hacked DVD disks). Startupfiletool can also be run from terminal (first place in /usr/sbin or run using ./ from root or any directory).

People having trouble w efi after installing ToH might want to try adding dsmos.kext (remember to chmod and chown from terminal so that it loads) - this kext is required to run "vanilla" Apple mach_kernel (see netkas's site for more info)

cheers ...

I've just read this entire thread, but I have a few questions. I am assuming that my Core 2 Quad will work the same as the Duo would... although no one has mentioned the Quad in this thread. Once I install this "v3" package, how do i put "original kexts back" and get the stock kernel? Considering I am going to be installing an already hacked version such as Brazilmac or ToH, how would I go about getting un-hacked files?

locate BaseSystem.pkg, which is in the installation disk System/Installation/Packages

I dont have ToH RC2 at hand, but for BrazilMac's Prepatch DVD, this file is untouched, so just use Pacifist to extract the original kernel/kexts

Alright cool. Yeah they were on the ToH DVD. So once I run this patcher dealy, what do I do next?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, wont mach_kernal on the ToH DVD already be the patched kernel? On the Brazilmac disc, there was a required post-patch, which copied a patched kernal, but on the Brazilmac dvd itself the kernal was original.

I have a question.....

Apple uses, appart from Core 2 Duo, Xeon processors as well. My system uses exactly the same chipset as a Mac Pro. Is this fine firmware thing supposed to work on a Xeon system as well??

If there's a plan for Xeon support, I'll gladly do beta testing!

And if someone knows the answer to my question PLEEEASE feel free to answer ;)

I have a question.....

Apple uses, appart from Core 2 Duo, Xeon processors as well. My system uses exactly the same chipset as a Mac Pro. Is this fine firmware thing supposed to work on a Xeon system as well??

If there's a plan for Xeon support, I'll gladly do beta testing!

And if someone knows the answer to my question PLEEEASE feel free to answer ;)

Try it :)