EFI finally mastered. OS X booted with an UNMODIFIED kernel.

Dr. Hurt

359 posts in this topic

What is wrong with rapidshare? Not accessible from some places?
Nope.

At this point in time, I'm sitting on a DS3 (aka T3), and rapidshare is blocked from here, same as IRC.

If I had an FTP server to be able to pull/push files around from, or another file repository web site, I would do so.

As things sit, I'm stuck with using my dinky 512K symmetrical connection at home. :P

Those of you having problems installing the efi patch, make sure that you're not trying to run startupfiletool on a volume that is mounted. If you're booting into single user mode, don't mount the volume for read access and if you're booting from an install cd, use diskutil to unmount the volume before you patch the bootloader.

If the volume is mounted and/or read-write access, startupfiletool will run and seem to work, but won't actually write to the bootloader.

There's something nice about just being able to install updates from Software Update with no issues :)

Happy with 10.5.1 so far!

I'm not. This :D thing broke my iWork! I can open the apps, but the window where I type my Pages, or enter numbers in my Spreadsheet, don't respond Windows-style and I have to quit the program. GRRRR!!!!

Those of you having problems installing the efi patch, make sure that you're not trying to run startupfiletool on a volume that is mounted. If you're booting into single user mode, don't mount the volume for read access and if you're booting from an install cd, use diskutil to unmount the volume before you patch the bootloader.

If the volume is mounted and/or read-write access, startupfiletool will run and seem to work, but won't actually write to the bootloader.

I'm guessing you meant don't mount the volume for read-write access?

I'm seeing this exact effect. It looks like it's working but doesn't actually do anything at all. I'm booting into single user mode with -s and then cd'ing to /iamefi and running startuptool. It looks like it works ok but has no effect.

any ideas?

I'm guessing you meant don't mount the volume for read-write access?

I'm seeing this exact effect. It looks like it's working but doesn't actually do anything at all. I'm booting into single user mode with -s and then cd'ing to /iamefi and running startuptool. It looks like it works ok but has no effect.

any ideas?

Doh! :censored2:

Yeah, I meant don't mount the volume for write access in single-user mode.

When you boot into -s, are you running the fsck and mount commands? If so, don't.

If you aren't and you're still having problems, I'd try booting from an install cd and completely unmounting your boot hard drive before running startupfiletool.

Let me know how it goes.

hi,

No, I wasn't running fsck and mount. Yep, already tried from DVD. I posted here (just before you incidentally :D) http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...start=75#p19890 with a list of what i tried and what the output looks like.

It's incredibly frustrating. It seems to work for everybody except me! :P I really can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Just to be clear, you don't have to have your leopard partition as the active partition right? I mean, you can still boot using Darwin etc. even after you've run startupfiletool?

cheers,

Matt

There's something nice about just being able to install updates from Software Update with no issues ;)

That isn't the case for people with Intel GMA950 video. When I installed the 10.5.1 update, my screen resolution was borked. Fortunately, I saw someone's post here on insanelymac that stated that one should simply replace the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext with an older version...in my case, I simply copied the old one from my Tiger 10.4.10 install.

Other than that, I'm just as happy as pig wallowing in mud.

hi,

No, I wasn't running fsck and mount. Yep, already tried from DVD. I posted here (just before you incidentally :D) http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...start=75#p19890 with a list of what i tried and what the output looks like.

It's incredibly frustrating. It seems to work for everybody except me! :) I really can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Just to be clear, you don't have to have your leopard partition as the active partition right? I mean, you can still boot using Darwin etc. even after you've run startupfiletool?

cheers,

Matt

Well, my Leo partition is active on both my notebook and desktop systems. On my desktop, Leo is on its own hard drive and on my notebook Leo boots first and then I have the option of going to Vista if I choose it on the Darwin boot screen.

That said, I can't see that an active partition or not would have any effect.

I assume that you've checked in OS X to see if the bootloader was installed? In System Profiler, the Model should read 'Mac' and the Information field should have your motherboard name or other identifying information like model number, etc. Also, Geekbench will identify your computer as a native Mac and not a Hackintosh. You can also see the words 'Loading EFI enhanced bootloader' just before the Apple loading screen comes up, but it's really quick and hard to catch.

If you've successfully installed the efi loader but still have kernel problems, I found that the 10.5.1 update fixed my desktop system and made it bootable with the stock kernel. I suspect this is because the kernel I was using was corrupted in some way, but maybe you're in the same boat and you'll get lucky, as I did.

My Hackintosh is doing so well right now, its ironic to see all those real macs with problems like freezer iMacs, problems with upgrading, kernel panics, etc.

My 10.5.1 Update on my Lenovo T61 went perfectly with EFI v4. no multiple reboots.

Well, my Leo partition is active on both my notebook and desktop systems. On my desktop, Leo is on its own hard drive and on my notebook Leo boots first and then I have the option of going to Vista if I choose it on the Darwin boot screen.

That said, I can't see that an active partition or not would have any effect.

I assume that you've checked in OS X to see if the bootloader was installed? In System Profiler, the Model should read 'Mac' and the Information field should have your motherboard name or other identifying information like model number, etc. Also, Geekbench will identify your computer as a native Mac and not a Hackintosh. You can also see the words 'Loading EFI enhanced bootloader' just before the Apple loading screen comes up, but it's really quick and hard to catch.

If you've successfully installed the efi loader but still have kernel problems, I found that the 10.5.1 update fixed my desktop system and made it bootable with the stock kernel. I suspect this is because the kernel I was using was corrupted in some way, but maybe you're in the same boat and you'll get lucky, as I did.

cheers. I reinstalled darwin to the MBR instead of the windows bootloader and then made my leopard partition active and that seemed to do the trick. I don't know why it wasn't working before. I'll just have to warn the missis that it doesn't 'default' to windows and stick with the darwin bootloader.

now running vanilla everything except AppleSMBios, which I'm about to change because the netkas version gives me totally wrong readings!

cheers!

After installing pc_efi_v51 with the included AppleSMBIOS.kext, I upgraded from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11. The upgrade went fine, but Sysprofiler now reports a bus speed at 100 MHz (is 1.33 GHz) and no info on the installed memory (speed, kind, etc).

My system: BadAxe2, E6700 (oc'ed to 3.33GHz), 4 GB of OCZ Memory.

Here's what it says:

Modellnavn: Mac

Modellidentifiserer:

Prosessornavn: Intel Core 2 Duo

Prosessorhastighet: 3.33 GHz

Antall prosessorer: 1

Antall kjerner totalt: 2

Nivå 2-buffer (per prosessor): 4 MB

Hukommelse: 4 GB

Busshastighet: 100 MHz

As you can see the proc 's correctly recognized, but bus speed isn't. And no other info on the system. No Boot ROM version either.

And under "Memory" nothing is found.

Systemversjon: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167)

Kernel-versjon: Darwin 8.11.1