EFI finally mastered. OS X booted with an UNMODIFIED kernel.

Dr. Hurt

359 posts in this topic

Very n00b question (sorry but I couldn't resist :mellow:).

What this represents for a noob OSx86 user? That we would be able to use unmodified OS X kernel and extensions and to update our OS straigth from Apple without any problems (assuming you have the compatible hardware)? Just help me understand.

Yes, that's basically it. As well as since we're running it from the real source, it should have a tiny performance advantage. If the EFI emulation is good.

So then, do motherboards that have the x3, and gma950 series support this? What motherboard chipsets and series will?

Yes, that's basically it. As well as since we're running it from the real source, it should have a tiny performance advantage. If the EFI emulation is good.

So then, do motherboards that have the x3, and gma950 series support this? What motherboard chipsets and series will?

Motherboards that have HPET are ICH4 and above ones (some 845 and all the newer chipsets). So, yes, motherboards which have x3 and gma950 will definitely work.

So. I just removed the AppleEFI kext , installed this bunch and I'm running from the ToH 10.5 DVD install. Does this mean it worked? Because I don't really notice anything in system profiler to know it's working. Should my next step be to try use the real apple kernel unmodified? Is there a manual that teaches how to check the stuff I asked and replace the kernel?

So can we use the Kexts for 8X00 cards? Like the Mac Book Pro's 8600?

Also can someone help the "noobs" here?

Nope, because this modified bootloader doesn't hand over the data which the graphics card needs to initialise, it only sets the bare minimum required for an unmodified Apple kernel to load at the moment. It is theoretically capable of replacing kexts like Natit by 'injecting' the same data at boot time. However, if we knew what values to inject to get 8600s to work, we'd have done it with Natit a long time ago!

The only real advantage to this method of getting OS X to boot is the fact that we can take a more 'clean room' approach to the OS, running stock Apple kexts and kernels (which is good) and potentially (though there's no real advantage to doing so, and there may not be sufficient room in the bootloader's footprint anyway) dispensing of things like ALCInject.kext and Natit.kext in the long term. To do the latter, we still need to know what values kexts like Natit and ALCInject inject, because we don't have a 'real' EFI with EFI modules to work those things out for us. In essence all we're doing is the same thing as the afformentioned kexts, but before, rather than during OS boot.

This installed on my setup great. Only problem is with my FSB speed. I have a Core2Duo E6600 2.4ghz. When I run the EFI fix it knocks the FSB speed down from 266 to 200. Which is equivalent to a Core2Duo 1.8ghz. Anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks! ;) ;)

-Ben

Is working fine on a DP965LT mobo with a Core 2 Duo at 2.13 Ghz, but the bus speed even if is correctly reported in "About this mac", is not set accordingly and the clock keep sliding of the real time.

did you try updating from apple ?

Nope, because this modified bootloader doesn't hand over the data which the graphics card needs to initialise, it only sets the bare minimum required for an unmodified Apple kernel to load at the moment. It is theoretically capable of replacing kexts like Natit by 'injecting' the same data at boot time. However, if we knew what values to inject to get 8600s to work, we'd have done it with Natit a long time ago!

The only real advantage to this method of getting OS X to boot is the fact that we can take a more 'clean room' approach to the OS, running stock Apple kexts and kernels (which is good) and potentially (though there's no real advantage to doing so, and there may not be sufficient room in the bootloader's footprint anyway) dispensing of things like ALCInject.kext and Natit.kext in the long term. To do the latter, we still need to know what values kexts like Natit and ALCInject inject, because we don't have a 'real' EFI with EFI modules to work those things out for us. In essence all we're doing is the same thing as the afformentioned kexts, but before, rather than during OS boot.

So which kexts could we use? only AppleSMBIOS an AppleACPIPlatform? or IONetworking and others?

coud this bootloader be installed in a hacked DVD?

Let me guess: this would probably work on my computer with Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 on an Asrock Conroe 945G-DVI!

WOOT!

A New Hope!

You see to have the exact same specs as mine, other than the mobo. It'll work fine on your setup. Like I said before, I dunno if it's possible to change the FSB speed. :censored2:

Installed, boots fine .... but anyone know a way to restore the Darwin boot loader without re-installing from DVD ...?

efi boot-132 with r21 patchIntel915GAVL + CeleronD 3.2GHzEdit:Kernel is modified to work on CeleronD, but all factory kexts works from 9a581, including ACPI and SMBIOS.
Hey amalf, What app did you use to view the device tree ...? thx.

Wow. This works!

Intel Core Duo T2050

Everything works, including FSB and SpeedStep

I even got my computer model and serial in system profiler, it is detected as a mac!

did you do this on leopard or tiger ?

great work!

would this bootloader work on an amd system, but if i just make sure i use an amd kernel or it doesn't work like that?

No, it work work that way. AMD need more patching than that. (cpuid)