EFI finally mastered. OS X booted with an UNMODIFIED kernel.

Dr. Hurt

359 posts in this topic

Can anyone confirm one way or the other whether this system can run the vanilla kernel with EFI?

Dell Dimension E510/5150

Intel P4 630 3.00GHz processor

Intel i945G/GZ chipset

ICH7/R

ATI Radeon X300

I've patched the bootloader with EFI, and restored all vanilla kexts (incl. dsmos.kext) except AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Still unable to get vanilla kernel to work. Just get a reboot when I try to boot with it. So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether it ought to work for my system or I should just give up and keep the patched kernel.

thanks

I also noticed that the included AppleSMBios.kext crashed CS3. I kind of solved it. Downloaded the Intel 10.4.11 combo updater and installed it without any modifications. System Profiler now shows:

Modellnavn: Mac

Modellidentifiserer:
(?)

Prosessornavn: Intel Core 2 Duo

Prosessorhastighet: 4 GHz
(should be 3.33GHz)

Antall prosessorer: 1

Antall kjerner totalt: 2

Nivå 2-buffer (per prosessor): 4 MB

Hukommelse: 4 GB

Busshastighet: 1.07 GHz
(should be 1.33 GHz)

Start-ROM-versjon: BX97520J.2797.2007

Memory info:

CHAN A DIMM 0/J6H1:

Størrelse: 1 GB

Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Hastighet: 533 MHz
(shoud be 667 MHz)

CHAN A DIMM 1/J6H2:

(shoud be 667 MHz)

CHAN B DIMM 0/J6J1:

(shoud be 667 MHz)

CHAN B DIMM 1/J6J2:

(shoud be 667 MHz)

This is probably only cosmetic, and CS3 with vanilla AppleSMBios.kext runs with no problems.

I have an older macbook and a PC laptop, and wanted to try booting Leopard on my PC using PC_EFI on an external USB drive. Can anyone tell me if this would work, or is what I'm trying completely impossible?

1. Install Vanilla leopard onto USB drive using macbook and leopard retail install DVD.

2. After verifying USB drive install is working, reboot to macbooks "real" OS.

2. Remove kexts from USB drive install as required, add dsmos.kext

3. Run startupfiletool against the USB

4. Hook up USB drive to PC and successfully boot Tiger with PC_EFI

(Machine is Intel 945 chipset, Core 2 Duo, GMA950 if that makes a difference)

I also thought I read that PC_EFI somehow makes sleep/speedstep work pretty much automatically. Is this true also?

I cant seem to get it to work on my system, I put the dsmos.kext into Extensions. I dont change the AppleSMBIOS.kext or AppleACPIPlatform.kext. I install the latest efi loader (v5) and reboot.

All goes well until I get to this.

1911072156st8.th.jpg

I get the same thing even if I use the patched kernel.

To boot I have to remove the dsmos.kext out of Extensions.

Anyone have any idea whats going wrong?

Tried pc_efi v52. Only boot_v3 working for me, rest cause reboots before GUI appears. The only problem is in Mac identifier, it shows the name of my mobo, see the attachment.

What kext is responsible for it and how to change it in "ACPI"?

Thanks in advance.

post-1427-1195539281_thumb.jpg

clockworx, it sound like it should work, just make sure you have the efi installed and im sure you'll be A OK

I didn't have any success with this. I did the following:

1) Reformatted USB drive as one partition with GUID layout

2) Installed leopard to the USB drive using the macbook

3) Made sure it worked by booting to the USB drive

4) Copied dsmos.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and removed the Extensions.* files

5) Ran startupfiletool against the USB drive and got the expected response. ("successfully wrote blah blah blah etc etc")

6) Repaired permissions on the drive

7) Booted to the USB once more from the macbook once more (This was mostly out of curiousity to see if it would work. I got a notice that dsmos.kext was "improperly installed" and could not be loaded, but wasn't sure if that was expected (since it was the kernel decrypter) or was pointing to some actual mistake I made.

8) Plugged USB drive into PC, selected to boot from USB drive. Got nothing but a blinking cursor.

Anyone care to guess where things went wrong? Does startupfiletool install a standalone boot loader, or is it a mod to an existing boot loader (in other words, do I somehow have to install darwin boot loader to the USB drive before it will work?)

Other than that, I'm not really sure where to go about fixing this. I could get the ToH release, but I was hoping to be able to do an install using just the Vanilla Leopard DVD.

AFAIK GUID and Apple Scheme partitions wont boot on PCs, as MBR wont boot on Macs.

Thanks, that was another guess I had, but forgot to mention it. I'm used to the DVD releases "automagically" doing that stuff, so I forget how they set up the drive/install the boot loader/etc.

I guess I'll try doing a pacifist install from the leopard DVD to an MBR HFS+ partition and see if that helps.

Ran the 10.5.1 update on the v4 bootloader. It's working wonderfully. All I had to do was add some IDs to a few extensions.

This EFI bootloader is incredible. I'm very, very satisfied with it.

Yes, but format the USB from a working Disk Utility like (Jas DVD), or do a manual instalation of bootloader (like the script included in the ToH DVD) an then put the PC EFI bootloader.

So if I did this:

Use Disk Utility on vanilla DVD to create MBR layout and HFS+ partition on USB drive

Use Pacifist to install Leopard to USB drive

Use startupfiletool on USB drive

That won't create a sufficient scenario to boot from it?

I got mine working, had to use ./startupfiletool /dev/diskXsY ./boot_v5 instead of ./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v5.

Once installed applied the 10.4.11 update, rebooted, all working with no changes.

I just cant reboot now, it hangs at a black screen which I think is because on the vanilla kernel.

I installed pc_efi_v52 on a Pentium D but as soon as I tried to use vanilla kernel I went stuck in the endless reboot issue, you think this CPU will definitely not be reliable with this patch or am I doing something wrong. I ve already enabled all the options in my MOBO: HPET, MAX CPUID, XD, but no change.

Do you think this issue may be solved later on further releases?

Everything else working fine 10.5.1, sound, nvida 7300GT, network, Toh 9.10 kernel...

I installed pc_efi_v52 on a Pentium D but as soon as I tried to use vanilla kernel I went stuck in the endless reboot issue, you think this CPU will definitely not be reliable with this patch or am I doing something wrong. I ve already enabled all the options in my MOBO: HPET, MAX CPUID, XD, but no change.

Do you think this issue may be solved later on further releases?

Everything else working fine 10.5.1, sound, nvida 7300GT, network, Toh 9.10 kernel...

I think the stock kernel only works with Allendale and Conroe architectures.

GREAT! NETKAS IS A LEGEND, We Thank you from the bottom of our hearts

-- Enough with the pleasant remarks - - how do i get this goiing on my machine?

mobo Intel D945g

Running Tiger Sweet , Still to no luck with Leopard :)

- - BEZZ

does anyone or has anyone experienced the endless welcome screen loop issue?

Ive got a Intel D945G MoBO, pentium D 3.0 cpu and installed leopard (BrazilMac patched) and everytime i boot

I cant get past the 'do you already own a mac screen' just keeps looping when i hit continue.

Please help!

_BEZZ

I got mine working, had to use ./startupfiletool /dev/diskXsY ./boot_v5 instead of ./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v5.

Once installed applied the 10.4.11 update, rebooted, all working with no changes.

I just cant reboot now, it hangs at a black screen which I think is because on the vanilla kernel.

Try booting it from the DVD. My Tablet PC pulled this stunt, and doing this helped it out.

Also, Bezz, replace the IONetworkingFamily kernel extension with the original. Worked fine for me.

Hi!

With the risk of anoying everybody. Can you describe step by step how you applied the efi to you box ?

I think the steps in the read me mainly address leopard and they are not well defined when it comes with the exact steps to follow besides loading the efi.

I managed to get the grup installed but after reboot and before gui to show. How do I know if efi is loaded ?

I see some people manage to load the the v3 boot - I will give it a try!

TIA

Q

Tried pc_efi v52. Only boot_v3 working for me, rest cause reboots before GUI appears. The only problem is in Mac identifier, it shows the name of my mobo, see the attachment.

What kext is responsible for it and how to change it in "ACPI"?

Thanks in advance.

You can change it from ACPI it system pref/sharing. where it says computer name.