EFI finally mastered. OS X booted with an UNMODIFIED kernel.

Dr. Hurt

359 posts in this topic

i might be just plain old stupid but i just don't get it...

1) Create directory "iamefi" in root of your boot osx disk

Does this mean the root of the Leopard boot DVD ?, if so how ?

2) copy all files from unpacked achieve to it

See above

3) boot to single user mode (press f8 durring boot(after bios booted) type -s and press enter)

After Leopard is installed on the local HDD ?

4) then run

cd /iamefi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot|_v4

5) reboot

Can anyone clarify please ?

sudo su

rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

cp -R /iamefi/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

to place back

sudo su

rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

cp -R /where_your_put _a_backup/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Not forgetting to fix permissions afterwards (otherwise it won't work properly):

diskutil repairPermissions /

Any word on if a pre-patched leopard disk of this being available yet?

Nope. However, after a million failed attempts and two successes, I have finally figured out how to get it flawless on a Badaxe 2. I will document it all, posting it and possibly a script ala BrazilMac later this week.

Just to give you a preview: I installed using a BrazilMac patched DVD, rebooted and installed the EFI bootloader, rebooted and installed AmmpleSMBIOS/dsmos, deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleEFIRuntime.

Great...I have a Bad Axe 2. Looking forward to the tutorial.

Does sleep work?

Just to give you a preview: I installed using a BrazilMac patched DVD, rebooted and installed the EFI bootloader, rebooted and installed AmmpleSMBIOS/dsmos, deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleEFIRuntime.

Nope. However, after a million failed attempts and two successes, I have finally figured out how to get it flawless on a Badaxe 2. I will document it all, posting it and possibly a script ala BrazilMac later this week.

cant wait, i used brazilmac's patched dvd as well

am i able to use the retail leopard DVD and apply the efi patch ?am i able to use the retail leopard DVD and apply the efi patch ?

Not yet, but it wont be long now before someone produces a script that will patch the original dvd so we can use it directly. That seems like the way to go since almost everybody downloaded the retail dvd for the Brazilmac patch(or can just go out and buy the dvd for patching).

Not forgetting to fix permissions afterwards (otherwise it won't work properly):

diskutil repairPermissions /

Thing is, though, when you become root (sudo su) and copy files/directorys the copied files are already 755 chmoded and owned by root:wheel

So I never do that.

v4 works good with my grub. I finally can boot osx from logical partition.

But I have a probrem. How to 'makeactive' logical partition before loading v4? AFAIK grub's makeactive command only work for primary partition. If I use Windows first, v4 try to boot this Windows partition by default because this partition already marked as active one by grub. I know press F8 during boot v4 shows partition list and can chose and boot an un-active partition but It's annoying.

I think that is 'THE GREATEST' step since osx86 began. But as a pure noob here i have a question.

I have C2Duo processor with an EFI supported mobo and an original Leopard install dvd (Not a downloaded modified osx86 dvd. A "PURE" DVD).

So what else do i need to make it??

Thanks for help.

I think that is 'THE GREATEST' step since osx86 began. But as a pure noob here i have a question.

I have C2Duo processor with an EFI supported mobo and an original Leopard install dvd (Not a downloaded modified osx86 dvd. A "PURE" DVD).

So what else do i need to make it??

Thanks for help.

Mod the brazilmac patch script replacing the boot with the efi one and not replace vanilla extensions, or wait for someone else to do it for you. :-)

v4 works good with my grub. I finally can boot osx from logical partition.

But I have a probrem. How to 'makeactive' logical partition before loading v4? AFAIK grub's makeactive command only work for primary partition. If I use Windows first, v4 try to boot this Windows partition by default because this partition already marked as active one by grub. I know press F8 during boot v4 shows partition list and can chose and boot an un-active partition but It's annoying.

add Timeout to com.apple.Boot.plist, which works for me

i installed OSX86 in primary partition and makeactive does its job(default on OSX instead of active Windows), but for darwin boot loader, a more reasonable approach is to select first HFS+, instead of first active partition as default when bootup(as unmodified boot loader does)

btw, I tried 10.5.1 9B13 update, goes well

Hey guys and girls.

So I can get EFI working fine, but the vanilla kernel seems to have problems running... on its own it causes the computer to automatically reboot, with the AppleSMBIOS.kext file it will just freeze up.

Does this mean simple that my Intel based motherboard isn't compatible with the vanilla kernel or are there specific files I would need to replace before it will work?

Thanks!

try to remove AppleEFIRuntime.kext

Hey there,

Already have, followed that guide of yours as best I could. Everytime I get the SmBIOS file on, Leopard will boot but refuse to load the desktop on 2 laptops of mine, using any kernel. 

Just using the vanilla kernel will make it refuse to boot full stop, it gets in a reboot loop. 

Any ideas?

(oh btw, would it make a difference that I'm booting from an external HDD? I also might add that with the ACPIPlatform.kext file loaded with the vanilla kernel, I get CPU panics saying something about not being able to load the driver for the platform. I've got no clue why :S)