EFI finally mastered. OS X booted with an UNMODIFIED kernel.

Dr. Hurt

359 posts in this topic

I was having the same problem.Don't forget that every time you add/remove kexts, you have to deleted Extensions.mkext to apply the changes! That worked for me.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I'm gonna try again in a sec with the  vanilla kernel, if that doesn't work on its own then I'll replace the SMBIOS file  and chmod/chown, then delete the Extensions.mkext file and see what happens. Wish me luck!Well whadaya know, it's working! Vanilla kexts, kernel and all :DThanks guys lol this is great, now we should be able to do software updates without worrying about it crashing our installs!

Tried running the EFI v4 patch. I believe I performed things in the wrong order.

I killed Leopard.

Oh well. No use crying over it. I'll just reinstall it when I get home and install this patch instead of BrazilMac's. We'll see how it runs from there.

but for darwin boot loader, a more reasonable approach is to select first HFS+, instead of first active partition as default when bootup(as unmodified boot loader does)

I agree with you. It seems this feature is not for me.

Thanks for reply ;)

Guys, this works. IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!

I just installed the vanilla, standard, unmodified, 10.5.1 beta that's floating around and was seeded to developers a few days ago. It worked. No hastle, no bull, no kext replacing, nothing. Just installed the unmodified 10.5.1 on top of my unmodified 10.5. Works. Just works.

The only glitch is that QE/CI was broken on my video card, but this is a fault of an outdated driver (come on Bronya, get your kickass X1950Pro driver updated!). Sound still works, and I still have navite monitor rez, so I'm not worried about QE/CI.

:P:D:D

My disclaimer: the 10.5.1 beta going around is a BETA, and after using it a bit, I have found it's even more of an Alpha than a Beta; I installed it only to test this EFI patch. It broke my video card drivers, and iWork. Do NOT install beta software on a system you rely on!

Here's my experience with the EFI so far:

1. Removed AppleEFIRuntime.

2. Applied the EFI bootloader to my disk:

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s1 ./boot_v4

3. Added dsmos.kext to extensions.

4. stock kernel + original brazilmac AppleSMBIOS = black screen

5. original kernel + stock smbios = blue screen/cursor

6. orginal kernel + original smbios = ok, but still detected as Hackintosh

Anyone have any ideas why it won't work?

I had no luck on using vanilla kernel after successful install EFI v4 bootloader. It keeping on rebooting. A second thing is my system doesn't work with applesmbios.kext from EFI package too, it give me a blue screen with an errow cursor.

I'm using Leopard_ToH DVD.

Any idea ???

Did you delete Extensions.mkext after adding dsmos/replacing smbios? Also, make sure your ownership and permissions on the kexts and kernel are exactly correct.

I did all my kext movements in single user mode as root, so permissions shouldn't be an issue, and yes, I deleted extensions.mkext every time. :)

Nope. However, after a million failed attempts and two successes, I have finally figured out how to get it flawless on a Badaxe 2. I will document it all, posting it and possibly a script ala BrazilMac later this week.

Just to give you a preview: I installed using a BrazilMac patched DVD, rebooted and installed the EFI bootloader, rebooted and installed AmmpleSMBIOS/dsmos, deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleEFIRuntime.

I have a BadAxe2 board also with a Quad Core Q6600, please post your tutorial or a link to it here. Looking forward to it, Thanks.

Also, I have a few other questions, someone please explain:

1. How come this PC_EFI doesn't solve the multi-core problem on laptops where it runs on one core only?

2. With the PC_EFI, why doesn't the nVidia 8X00 series card work with stock kext?

3. Does this PC_EFI hack opens the door for improvements on other hacks such as the two above problems?

hello,

on the Toh version, i installed pc_efi_v3, and changed my kernel with vanilla's one (and replace kexts), but the system don't boot. I get this message all the time in verbose mode:

Package 0 don't read an hpet (or something near).

But others operations seem's to be ok.

So, what's my problem, please?

I have a BadAxe2 board also with a Quad Core Q6600, please post your tutorial or a link to it here. Looking forward to it, Thanks.

Also, I have a few other questions, someone please explain:

1. How come this PC_EFI doesn't solve the multi-core problem on laptops where it runs on one core only?

2. With the PC_EFI, why doesn't the nVidia 8X00 series card work with stock kext?

3. Does this PC_EFI hack opens the door for improvements on other hacks such as the two above problems?

Well, I'm debating as to post it or not. I'm wondering if instead of making a guide, I could modify Kalway's Make Bootable HD disk to install the latest EFI bootloader instead of the standard bootloader it installs. Then, the process would be really simple: boot to Kalway's, format and prep the disk, boot to the Leopard disk, install, replace kexts, done. Unfortuantely, I do not have a Windows machine with MagicISO online right now, so until I do (maybe tomorrow), I can't modify Kalway's ISO.

hello,

on the Toh version, i installed pc_efi_v3, and changed my kernel with vanilla's one (and replace kexts), but the system don't boot. I get this message all the time in verbose mode:

Package 0 don't read an hpet (or something near).

But others operations seem's to be ok.

So, what's my problem, please?

You forgot to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Delete it, delete Extensions.mkext, reboot.

I just tried to install the efi stuff on 10.4.9.

I replaced the mach_kernel with one from the 10.4.9 upgrade dmg, then I put dsmos.kext from the pc_efi_v40 folder into the Extensions folder, and lastley I deleted the AppleEFIRuntime kext.

I reboot, it loads the kexts, but just as its done doing that the system reboots.

What am I missing??