[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

I am not able to change my NVRAM using clean NVRAM or reset NVRAM in OC 0.8.2 or reset NVRAM in Clover 5145.  I renamed my partition for Ventura from SSD-Monterey to SSD-Ventura but cannot get that change to show up in my menus for OC or Clover.  Also, start up disk in macOS no longer works so I cannot set Monterey as my default partition.  Any ideas?  It seems others are also having issues editing NVRAM since Ventura has come out.

NVRAM and sleep issues on macOS Ventura, probably due to AvoidRuntimeDefrag Quirk not working. Otherwise everything works fine, including wifi and bluetooth OOB. Seems like there will be quite few problems with Ventura, apart from AvoidRuntimeDefrag, but i'm sure it will be sorted out :) 

20 hours ago, PC IT said:

Thank you so much for the Oc folder, it booted but ended in black screen.. any suggestions?

I also boot to black screen on my skylike intel core i3 6006 laptop Acer aspire a517 

Edited by v-volodi

1 hour ago, Common_Sense said:

NVRAM and sleep issues on macOS Ventura, probably due to AvoidRuntimeDefrag Quirk not working. Otherwise everything works fine, including wifi and bluetooth OOB. Seems like there will be quite few problems with Ventura, apart from AvoidRuntimeDefrag, but i'm sure it will be sorted out :) 

While I suspect you are correct that it will all be sorted out, I should also mention that I tried re-enabling AvoidRuntimeDefrag before trying to clean and reset NVRAM and it did not make any difference.  Same with using Startup Disk in Monterey.  Once I re-enabled AvoidRuntimeDefrag, only Ventura would not boot.  Monterey still booted but editing NVRAM was a no go.

Okay guys I think I may have stumbled upon something. I noticed in my Coffee Lake boot screen during the boot up,

the words IOPolledFilesPollSetup failed was shown for a fair while onscreen before it continued booting.

And I remember in my settings distinctly it has ApplePollKeys deactivated and using LauncherOption set to Short.

Would that be it?

Guest 5T33Z0
4 hours ago, mnfesq said:

I am not able to change my NVRAM using clean NVRAM or reset NVRAM in OC 0.8.2 or reset NVRAM in Clover 5145.  I renamed my partition for Ventura from SSD-Monterey to SSD-Ventura but cannot get that change to show up in my menus for OC or Clover.  Also, start up disk in macOS no longer works so I cannot set Monterey as my default partition.  Any ideas?  It seems others are also having issues editing NVRAM since Ventura has come out.

Did you install the new ResetNvramEntry.efi for OpenCore?

On 6/6/2022 at 8:42 PM, BALDY_MAN said:

I've just updated to venture I had to use - lilubetaall in boot flag  and latest WEG and Lilu kext

booted from a bootable usb stick

image.thumb.png.58552f7add52d360ebadd01011e7e6ca.png

Where do you downloaded the Instaler to make bootable usb?  I want a clean install I don't now how to download the Installer to create the bootable usb.

4 minutes ago, sygey said:

Where do you downloaded the Instaler to make bootable usb?  I want a clean install I don't now how to download the Installer to create the bootable usb.

The direct link is on the first post. Download and install it and the installer file will be in the Applications folder. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sygey said:

've just updated to venture I had to use - lilubetaall in boot flag  and latest WEG and Lilu kext

booted from a bootable usb stick

What are the Specs of your machine i.e Motherboard, CPU, Graphics, etc. Thanks

Oh ok - I see them from the enclosed pic.

Dang!!! lack of sleep is making me go do-lally, the pic belongs to our friend @BALDY_MAN. :D

Edited by eSaF
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

It was relatively easy to install it on the Z490 Vision G. Here's my EFI: https://github.com/5T33Z0/Gigabyte-Z490-Vision-G-Hackintosh-OpenCore/releases/tag/082.1

Thanks for your feedback. In the interim I tried to install Ventura on my other Z490 Vision G hack and lo and behold, the installation was successful. 

The two Z490 Vision G hacks are identical in all respects, hardware and software wise , therefore I embarked on a "serious" troubleshooting" adventure to try and find out why the one hack was accepting Ventura and the other one not.

It turned out that the add-on PCIe DGE-560T network card I am using in both hacks, when located in the PCIe expansion slot nearest to the CPU, causes the wheels to fall off when attempting to install Ventura, and only Ventura, the attempted install ends in a reboot loop, never reaching the language picker, any other install, such as Big Sur or Monterey works just fine, you figure!!! Relocating the add-on DGE-560T to a pcie-slot further away from the CPU solved the Ventura installation problem, with both my Z490 Vision G hacks performing quite well with the latest beta incarnation by Apple.

Greetings Henties 

Edited by Henties
  • Like 3

Ok guys some good news (sort of):

WEG, Lilu and VirtualSMC and other kexts have been updated so hopefully we'll be able to install Ventura on our hacks.

OpenCore Configurator has also been updated so if you regenerate the SMBIOS section it will add the most updated values to the config.

Let's give it another try and see how it goes. I've tested it on my it's still a no go :( but you might have better luck than me.

Here's the lates updated OC and kexts, don use this EFI folder as is, replace the kexts and the OC parts of your TESTING OC.

I updated the folder with the latest OC, it now can boot with AvoidRuntimeDefrag

OC 0.8.2 and Kexts EFI.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Henties said:

Thanks for your feedback. In the interim I tried to install Ventura on my other Z490 Vision G hack and lo and behold, the installation was successful. 

The two Z490 Vision G hacks are identical in all respects, hardware and software wise , therefore I embarked on a "serious" troubleshooting" adventure to try and find out why the one hack was accepting Ventura and the other one not.

It turned out that the add-on PCIe DGE-560T network card I am using in both hacks, when located in the PCIe expansion slot nearest to the CPU, causes the wheels to fall off when attempting to install Ventura, and only Ventura, the attempted install ends in a reboot loop, never reaching the language picker, any other install, such as Big Sur or Monterey works just fine, you figure!!! Relocating the add-on DGE-560T to a pcie-slot further away from the CPU solved the Ventura installation problem, with both my Z490 Vision G hacks performing quite well with the latest beta incarnation by Apple.

Greetings Henties 

Hi what are the specs and makes of your z490 boards I am looking to move from my z390 and need one that can handle Ventura. Thanks 

Here are my thoughts with what is happening on my GA-Z390

From a clean install, the system boots and gets to the first stage install but finishes at 12 minutes to go. It then reboots and goes on to the second installation stage, about two minutes into this stage, it throws the message 'An error occurred preparing the software Update' which I think is because the First stage Installation was incomplete as it finished at 12 minutes left but what is causing that is hard to pin down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, eSaF said:

Hi what are the specs and makes of your z490 boards I am looking to move from my z390 and need one that can handle Ventura. Thanks 

They are straight forward GA-Z490 Vision G Gigabyte motherboards. Personally I would not purchase another one again because of the mess-up with the onboard Intel i255-V controller. It is hardware implemented, originally with an incorrect dimensioned ether inter-frame gap by Intel in version 1. Version 2 tried to correct this but proved not too successful, at least as far as I am concerned, although the inter-frame gap has been corrected however it is still playing up in macOS with different macOS iterations requiring their own dedicated solution to get this NIC working properly.

Boards with a version 3 of these NICs are seemingly working without major problems in macOS. In Windows, with the correct drivers these version 2 NICs work flawlessly.

In my environment the i225-V's are disabled in macOS and their function has been allocated to D-Link type DGE-560T controllers.

Just my 2 cents. 

Attached an equipment summary of items making up the two GA-Z490 Vision G hacks I use on a daily basis. 

Greetings Henties

Blikbrain Equipment summary.png

Edited by Henties
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, kaoskinkae said:

No more need to disable "AvoidRuntimeDegrag" or add "-ilubetaall" boot-arg the plugins are ready compatible with Ventura

if you have the latest version of Lilu and its plugins, they now allow loading Ventura without -lilubetall, yes.