[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

SKYLAKE users NOTE:

Currently while attempting to install macOS 13 Ventura and during the whole installation process: do NOT attempt to inject any KBL framebuffer properties and/or SKL patch to iGPU as this will cause the installer to stall due to iGPU incompatibility. You may apply the attributes+kext to achieve full acceleration upon successful boot into macOS 13.

CC @PMheart

• Like 2

Just now, Hervé said:

@PMheart Immediate KP when trying to use that SKLAsKBLGraphicsInfo.kext. And I made sure to remove the device-id injection in my config beforehand.

Thanks for testing. Indeed, KBL kext checks device-id when probing. Thus, we would have to spoof device-id.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PMheart said:

Thanks for testing. Indeed, KBL kext checks device-id when probing. Thus, we would have to spoof device-id.

Can confirm the same; early kernel panic with error: Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI" . @IOPlarformExpert.cpp:2318. Tried injecting device-id as well, same result. 

Thanks for testing. Then we will have to spoof device-id, leaving `IOPCIPrimaryMatch` untouched. I have added the provisionally final solution at https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/pull/101. Basically, SKLAsKBLGraphicsInfo.kext is the same as the SkylakeInjector.kext made by @dhinakg but is renamed to show a more specific purpose; you can keep using SkylakeInjector.kext without any harm.

Once reviewed by the other Acidanthera team members, the PR can be merged.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@Middleman

I have followed exactly the config.plist you posted in page 14. No luck. Verbose messages end before language selection screen. Thanks anyway.

Right. That's a bit odd considering it should work.

I do know that my Acer uses a slightly older version of BIOS firmware resembling those used by Insyde so is not as comprehensive as those from say Asus. But the system does sees it as a UEFI boot drive (that's all that matters). So maybe one of the issues is that one or both of the AppleCFGLock settings needs disabling (as those quirks are  enabled on the Acer).

Anyways I've just done a check again of my files - it looks like the version of OC I used is 0.8.1 including Opencore.efi and BOOTx64 but the kexts I used were slightly earlier versions - Lilu is from Feb 22 while VirtualSMC, Whatevergreen and AppleALC were from March 22. I had used OCAuxiliaryTools to update the folder - and it looks like it didn't do the job properly. I've actually sent a bug report to the devs of OCAT about it.

Anyways this is what I have settings wise:

image.png.54ddfd9725b855aa0fc15b0c9adf3496.png

image.png.e8584dd5888e1baefb5cf2f2ef54d4ef.png

One other crucial thing I noticed is that I don't have RestrictEvents but I do have NVMeFix. I'm beginning to think a lot of the issues preventing the system from booting up is probably around the NVRAM and how it is seen by the system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iGPU said:

After disconnecting the cable  to the Aquantia port, Ventura became stable. The built-in Aquantia is an AQC107 (not the newer Aquantia AQC113 that is working in Ventura ß1 on the Z690 mobo). BTW, enabling v082 OC's Kernel/Quirks/ForceAquantiaEthernet had no effect on the stability of Ventura; the cable could not be left connected to the port.

So besides the latest OC and OC kexts and disabling Booter/Quirks/AvoidRuntimeDefrag, with the TRX40 mobo, Ventura required the AppleMCEReporterDisabler kext and disconnecting the built-in Aquantia AQC107 port.

AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext.zip 2.5 kB · 12 downloads

@iGPU

With the AQC-107, have you tried the AQC-107 v3 patch and also enabled VT-d and disabled DisableIOMapper? Because that's whats needed for Z490s to boot and use the AQC-107 in Monterey 12.3+. I used OC 0.7.9 to boot mine with it working.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
    <dict>
        <key>Arch</key>
        <string>Any</string>
        <key>Base</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>Comment</key>
        <string>AQC 107 10 GbE v3 for Monterey 12.3 - DisableIoMapper=False</string>
        <key>Count</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>Enabled</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Find</key>
        <data>D4RFAwAA</data>
        <key>Identifier</key>
        <string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
        <key>Limit</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>Mask</key>
        <data></data>
        <key>MaxKernel</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>MinKernel</key>
        <string>21.4.0</string>
        <key>Replace</key>
        <data>Zg8fRAAA</data>
        <key>ReplaceMask</key>
        <data></data>
        <key>Skip</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
    </dict>
</array>
</plist>
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Middleman said:

@iGPU

With the AQC-107, have you tried the AQC-107 v3 patch and also enabled VT-d and disabled DisableIOMapper? Because that's whats needed for Z490s to boot and use the AQC-107 in Monterey 12.3+. I used OC 0.7.9 to boot mine with it working.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
    <dict>
        <key>Arch</key>
        <string>Any</string>
        <key>Base</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>Comment</key>
        <string>AQC 107 10 GbE v3 for Monterey 12.3 - DisableIoMapper=False</string>
        <key>Count</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>Enabled</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Find</key>
        <data>D4RFAwAA</data>
        <key>Identifier</key>
        <string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
        <key>Limit</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>Mask</key>
        <data></data>
        <key>MaxKernel</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>MinKernel</key>
        <string>21.4.0</string>
        <key>Replace</key>
        <data>Zg8fRAAA</data>
        <key>ReplaceMask</key>
        <data></data>
        <key>Skip</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
    </dict>
</array>
</plist>

I believe that this patch discovered by @Shikumo has been integrated into OpenCore 0.8.0 and above. You can simply turn on `ForceAquantiaEthernet` under Kernel->Quirks instead. Also, please refer to the description of this quirk in Configuration.pdf if you have problems with VT-d and/or `DisableIOMapper` quirk.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PMheart said:

I believe that this patch discovered by @Shikumo has been integrated into OpenCore 0.8.0 and above. You can simply turn on `ForceAquantiaEthernet` under Kernel->Quirks instead. Also, please refer to the description of this quirk in Configuration.pdf if you have problems with VT-d and/or `DisableIOMapper` quirk.

Thanks @PMheart! Yup will do. 👍

Nice progress here with some experimentation :) 

I got stuck at 12 min mark in the Ventura installation, using AvoidRuntimeDefrag = false. Keeping it false, I then experimented with ForceExitBootServices, ProtectUefi(?) and ProtectMemory(?) sorry don't recall exact names, as well as SyncRuntimePermissions. And suddenly it works and I can move past the issue. Now I am not 100% sure of the combination but I feel like ForceExitBootService might have done the trick since I never touched that one before, at least as I recall, but I am not sure. 

If you get stuck at 12% in the Ventura installation, then try combinations of the above Quirks, it might be able to work.

Edit: and now I am stuck at 23 min mark in a later stage of the installation. Anyone knows what's going on around that point, another clever trick I could pull out? :)

Edit2: I manage to install it successfully on my computer in signature, using iMac18,3 smbios. WIll post my Clover quirks used later if anyone wants to see them. Hard to nail down exactly which one, or which combination did the trick, but it seems to be very stable so far.

Edited by Common_Sense

4 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

4th (Haswell): ?

Haswell laptop, can boot with AvoidRuntimeDefrag off, but it freeze after short time in Monterey. Also can load Ventura on USB3 HDD and it freeze shortly, the same. Can be a config issue.
In Ventura all working, no IGPU hardware acceleration of course.

Edited by Stefanalmare

15 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

Haswell laptop, can boot with AvoidRuntimeDefrag off, but it freeze after short time in Monterey. Also can load Ventura on USB3 HDD and it freeze shortly, the same. Can be a config issue.

Right. If you're having problems with the booting (which I think is the WiFi driver), you may well have to either disable or change it.

The guys over at OpenIntelWireless have posted if anyone experiences issues with Ventura to change over to the itlwm (stable) driver instead for now and use the Heliport app.

5 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@ITzTravelInTime On most Intel CPU Generations, AvoidRuntimeDefrag is a necessity to boot the System.

What I know/observed so far:

• 10th gen and newer: don't require it to boot
  • 3rd Gen (Ivy Bridge) : requires it, so no chance
  • 4th (Haswell): ?
  • 5th Gen (Broadwell): ?
  • 6th Gen (Skylake): required.  Also requires Skylake Inector kext for the iGPU
  • 7th Gen (Kaby Lake): ?
  • 8th & 9th  Gen (Coffee Lake) : I am seeing mixed results.

Latest Lilu build works without -lilubetaall, btw: https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=Lilu&viewall=true

In fact, you should update OpenCore and ALL your kexts to the latest avaialble builds (esp. Lilu, VirtualSMC and Whatevergreen) before attempting to install macOS Ventura. They all can be obtained from Dortania's build repo (select from them from the dropdown menu).

I had strange pink stripes on my display during boot. After updating Lilu and whatevergreen they were gone. And some apps stopped crashing as well.

Remark

Lilu not ejecting my AppleALC without -lilubetaall

i have take boot and with opencore 7.8

Not working Weg and agdpmod=pikera with smbios macpro 7.1 and imac pro 1.1 ? only with iMac 20.2 and 20.1 i have booting,else goes on black screen.

13 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

I tried with Haswell desktop and Ivy Bridge laptop, and nothing works finally, but surpringsily I could install without any problems Ventura on my HP 2570P, but in the last reboot, instead of boot the OS, it gives me a general panic, with a lot of dependencies, and finally it doesn´t work.

I tried a lot of configurations on my Haswell desktop, and I stuck at this image.

20220607_232633.jpg

19 minutes ago, asdesoso said:

I tried with Haswell desktop and Ivy Bridge laptop, and nothing works finally, but surpringsily I could install without any problems Ventura on my HP 2570P, but in the last reboot, instead of boot the OS, it gives me a general panic, with a lot of dependencies, and finally it doesn´t work.

I tried a lot of configurations on my Haswell desktop, and I stuck at this image.

20220607_232633.jpg

Same on my laptop. What I said before is that my laptop can boot Ventura on USB3 HDD. I tried to install on internal HDD and it stops in the same place like you.

24 minutes ago, asdesoso said:

20220607_232633.jpg

2 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

Same on my laptop. What I said before is that my laptop can boot Ventura on USB3 HDD. I tried to install on internal HDD and it stops in the same place like you.

@asdesoso@Stefanalmare

Have you both tried tested it with RestrictEvents.kext enabled?

I have a ASUS Prime B360 motherboard and i now tried every single option suggested here and else but, no luck. It seems my MB is so depended on ARD (AvoidRuntimeDefrag) that running macOS with it disabled just doesn't work.

I "force" installed Ventura by mounting my SSD to VMware and let it install but booting it natively just either ends with an Kernel Panic or it's just stuck at "AppleKeyStore" or IONVMe.

But my NVMe disks does infact works just fine in RecoveryOS and Catalina -> Monterey.

Edited by Gravarty
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

I didn´t tried internally, I am trying always from an external SSD USB3.0 too.

48 minutes ago, Middleman said:

@asdesoso@Stefanalmare

Have you both tried tested it with RestrictEvents.kext enabled?

Yes, and no luck, stall at the same point, I am using an external SSD USB 3.0, later I will try at SATA port, to compare if there is something different.

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0
16 hours ago, Henties said:

Need some advice on a new install of Ventura with an install stick with opencore 0.8.2 and latest kexts to a spare SSD on my Z490 Vision G mobo, AvoidRuntimeDefrag is disabled.

The installation goes into a reboot loop, never reaching the language picker.

A normal upgrade of Monterey with a downloaded Ventura "+/- 3.4 Gigs."  also enters into a reboot loop.

Tried to disable iGPU as well as i225-V in bios but also no success, using an Amd RX 6800 TX DGPU.

Monterey boots with AvoidRuntimeDefrag Yes or No, -lilubetaall also makes no difference.

Greetings Henties

It was relatively easy to install it on the Z490 Vision G. Here's my EFI: https://github.com/5T33Z0/Gigabyte-Z490-Vision-G-Hackintosh-OpenCore/releases/tag/082.1