Nvidia G92 (8800GT) support in 10.5.2

Dense

359 posts in this topic

Ty guys ...I got my 8600GT to work with dual Display...i just got the card thought it was hopeless.....anyway as I said.. every thing is working except for QE(not supported) and CI (software)...I also have residue left when i move a window around and in the drop menus as well.....other than that I am glad to have it runing...Any help would be appreciated....
Ok guys... I took a look at the profiler and noticed that the rom version said 'NVinject' not 'Natit'.. So i remove natit and voila..QE CI.... I am looking for the link where i got the instructions from so I can post it ..PS Marvin Rules....Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA Type: Display Bus: PCIe PCIe Lane Width: x16 VRAM (Total): 256 MB Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de) Device ID: 0x0402 Revision ID: 0x00a1 ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.0 Displays:AL1917W: Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz Depth: 32-bit Color Core Image: Hardware Accelerated Main Display: Yes Mirror: Off Online: Yes Quartz Extreme: Supported Rotation: SupportedAL1917W: Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz Depth: 32-bit Color Core Image: Hardware Accelerated Mirror: Off Online: Yes Quartz Extreme: Supported Rotation: Supported:whistle: :P Silly me..I followed your Instructions GIk.. post 142... :tomato: :tomato:

hmmm why mine shows like this?

2005972774161788080_rs.jpg

RAM 771MB???

I already set it to be like this in PlistEditor:

picture3jo5.png

already set it <00000020> for 512MB, but is shows 771MB, will it damage my graphic card?

..here is my XBench:

ba35d1ca0f.png

yes it works with 10.5.2 kexts , i own a gainward 8800gts 512mb and got it working qe/ci

I just want to double check -- your card is a G92? I haven't seen anyone in this thread that actually owns a G92 card that has full qe/ci. I've seen two people that do have the card and can't get it to work.

many many thanks to --Corleone--

gainward 8800GT-512MB works with 10.5.1 on Asrock Conroe945G-DVI

with 10.5.2 kext

Unknown nVidia:

Chipsatz-Modell: Unknown nVidia

Typ: Monitor

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 512 MB

Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Geräte-ID: 0x0611

Versions-ID: 0x00a2

Monitore:

BenQ FP222WH:

Auflösung: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Hardware-unterstützt

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Unterstützt

Rotation: Unterstützt

hmmm why mine shows like this?

RAM 771MB???

I already set it to be like this in PlistEditor:

already set it <00000020> for 512MB, but is shows 771MB, will it damage my graphic card?

..here is my XBench:

same problem here :) I hope this can be fixed, I will try another values with this card and if i can't find any valid I will put the 256 one. It could be becausse the 8800 cards until the g92 ones where 320 and 640 so the values are not the same maybe)

EDIT: Ok, some test done and no luck. But there is something weird, if I delete the VRAM,totalsize key completely It detects the card as 256Mb one and if I use the VRAM,totalsize option no matter what value I put, it can be correct one or completely incorrect It detects the 771Mb RAM size although more strange is if you put the key, but the value completely empty the ram size displayed is literally 0 (with no problems, the same usual freezes as the other people because beta drivers).

EDIT2: Also I discovered some curious thing making changes on nvidia control panel for windows, It display this on the system information option:

Note: (my version is spanish, so I hope to translate options accurately)

Forceware version: 169.25 (in my case)

Total Memory Available: 1279Mb (my computer has 2Gb of RAM altough I think this is not the RAM memory because the next).

Dedicated video memory: 512Mb (just what should)

System video memory: 0Mb (what ?? first strange here)

Shared system memory: 767Mb (what again ?? this is getting really strange at this point).

I will try to explain my thoughts about this and the relation with NVinject information. My motherboard is a nforce4 with a Geforce 6100 integrated and of course if It is in use It takes the video memory from the computer RAM. Actually I am using a PCI-E Geforce 8800GT 512Mb for video output so what is the deal ? Just the same as we see in the nvidia panel, the information we see on nvinject is a mix from the integrated and the pci-e cards. If we see the 0 System video memory, is just the value we obtain in nvinject when no value is given for VRAM,totalsize, also the Shared system memory we see is 767Mb wich is seems to be the same 771Mb nvinject reports (possibly due the same use of mb the DVD-R or harddisk uses giving one size or another slightly different depending on the 1000=1Kb vs 1024=1KB system). So if we take 767 and add 512 we have the 1279 Total Memory Available the nvidia control panel shows. Also, VRAM means that, virtual RAM, the name of the shared RAM used by integrated cards, so at the end the data we got is correct, but we are trying to see another information, we can say we are the wrong :( So the question now is where the people with integrated vga motherboards can access or check the real pci-e video memory ? My guess is the video ram is being used by the system correctly according to 512Mb but we can't see it. Maybe some especific software like the RivaTuner one for windows. mmmmm, what could happen if we run rivatuner from darwine ? the data about ram size or ram used given by the software is not from drivers but low level instead so it could work. I will try when i can.

wjblol, seems there is no way to fix it yet. But if i was correct maybe there is only a problem of "wrong show info" not a problem about the amount of memory used by Leopard. All I tried was with no problems about video memory (and It was showing 0Mb), so I think is OK.

Obviously you didn't notice I'm using a G80 chip and I'm actually using 10.5.1 kexts, not 10.5.2 so i'm running FINAL kexts, not Beta one.

You don't seem to get my point but never mind. :( I'm pretty sure 10.5.2 final release will have the same bug, ie try to sleep then wake up your PC, this will work, but after this, try to shutdown or reboot and it'll be stuck on a black screen.

This problem occurs ever since I'm using Leopard 10.5.0 on G80, while it didn't with Tiger (but I did use the hot-plug trick) and I think it isn't due to the drivers but the fact we are using the drivers on non supported cards ;)

Anyway, it's not a big deal to me since sleep/wake up works fine. What bothers me is OpenGL performances are bad for GeForce 8800GTS 640MB (G80) and I guess that won't be improved. It seems to be the same with G92 (GeForce 8800GT/GTS 512) but if Mac Pro do INDEED have those cards, then I guess Apple/NVIDIA will begin improving the drivers.

Hmmm, I don't have that problem. I'm only using NVinject-0.13 and sleep works fine. Rebooting or shutting down after sleeping works fine too.

Yes performance could be higher but playing CoD2 with high settings is no problem still. When UT3 for OS X comes out we'll get a better idea of how limited the driver performance currently is.

wjblol, seems there is no way to fix it yet. But if i was correct maybe there is only a problem of "wrong show info" not a problem about the amount of memory used by Leopard. All I tried was with no problems about video memory (and It was showing 0Mb), so I think is OK.
I wish my problem was wrong show info. :)

I'm currently using the P6N SLI-Fi guide, and I always get Kernel Panics whenever I try to install the G92 kexts. Is 10.5.1 required for these new files, and can I just skip to it? Basically all I'd be doing is leaving QE/CI diabled (hopefully).

Hi ^o^) /

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on which card to get?

I am considering a XFX 7600GT Fatality or XFX 8600GT Fatality.

OSX only machine, not much of a gamer but do allot of FCPro work.

Or can you recommend me a good card bellow $200.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Just to clarify, if G92 cards are natively supported in 10.5.2, does that mean I can just get 10.5.1 up and running with EFI, wait until the 10.5.2 update is released, get it from the Apple software updater, and then my 8800GT will automatically start working?

Blackhole and anyone else having problems with kernal panics.... You must use NVinject 2.0... nothing else seems to work. change device ID in info.plist in NVDA50Hal.kext and Geforce.kext after you copied all the 10.5.2 geforce kext and the Opengl framework from 10.5.2 and it will finally come up...

Athlon X2 4400 OC 2.6 GHz

Asus A8N Deluxe SLI

Geforce 8800 GT 512MB

OSX 10.5.1 with 10.5.2 NV and Geforce drives and OpenGL framework

everything is work full acceleration QE/CI and Networking Marvell and nforce ethernet.

if you have a 512MB card just insert the VRam.size entry in the NVinject 2.0 info.plist with plist editor after you install developer tools, You can get in with most all other configs that give you kernal panics if you just start in safe mode (-x) option when you boot up

I thought the whole purpose of Natit/nvinject was to get graphics cards working that weren't officially supported by Apple. How come you would need to use it with an 8800GT?

No, Natit and NVInject is used to pass the video card id and other information to the drivers. This function is performed by the EFI on official Mac hardware. That's why the new EFI bootloader can allow people to do away with Natit and NVInject because it allows them to input the information directly as a string, which the driver then sees as coming from the emulated EFI.

No, Natit and NVInject is used to pass the video card id and other information to the drivers. This function is performed by the EFI on official Mac hardware. That's why the new EFI bootloader can allow people to do away with Natit and NVInject because it allows them to input the information directly as a string, which the driver then sees as coming from the emulated EFI.

Wait a minute... you're telling me that since I am running the EFI subset, I can take out Natit and my 8800GTS will still work as long as I don't touch the NV kexts?

Wait a minute... you're telling me that since I am running the EFI subset, I can take out Natit and my 8800GTS will still work as long as I don't touch the NV kexts?

No.

You will need a GFX string for the 8800 GT, which I'm not sure has been deciphered as of yet.

So what would would happen if a person bought a 3rd party Nvidia Card to use in a new Mac Pro other than the one supplied by Apple? Would they need to use the EFI bootloader to allow the card to be visible to the OS?

Hi! I'm new. Obviously.

More like a total n00b to this discussion, but I did just buy a new Mac Pro and I'm more than willing to help test hardware if it would help in any way. :)