Nvidia G92 (8800GT) support in 10.5.2

Dense

359 posts in this topic

Is there any improvement from older betas of 10.5.2 to final one regarding Open GL and benchmarks with 8800 GT cards? Can someone confirm if FinalCut Pro is working?

Hey Goko, Final Cut Pro Studio 2.0 works well with my config. I have a 8800 gts 320 and a 8800 gts 512. It works well with both.I'm still in 10.5.1 with this video driver NVInstaller v.31 (10.5.2 NV kext installer v2)I hope this info helps

Hi All,I got 8800GTS 512Mb G92on Kalyway 10.5.1Anybody help me, what I must to do to make my new videocard work fully?

Hi Dreamaker,I have the same card you have. Use the driver in my signature. That works great!

There is a newer version of this driver, but i haven't tested it yet. This version is supposed to work with 10.5.1.NVInstaller Downloads

Hey all,

Have 10.5.2 with graphics update. Just installed EVGA 8800GT 512 on my Shuttle rig (see sig). Rebooted several times, in safe and standard, but kept getting "still waiting for root device". I booted into Vista, then rebooted back to OS X and now everything works fine. Not sure why, but glad it works.

Just an FYI.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Just rebooted and went back to waiting for root device. Hmmm. It seems if I startup in -v verbose mode, I can get to the OS X desktop with full graphics capability, but if I do non-verbose, nada. Any ideas?

Hello all.

I have the nvidia 8600m GT on my inspiron 1520. I got the new drivers and now it shows the true 256 megs of video ram. My only issue is when I try to hook up and detect an external display. When I click detect displays, my laptop screen goes black and nothing ever comes up on the other display. Is there something I dont know regarding external displays.

One thing I havent tried is another display. I was using my 1680x1050 external display which has a DVI and a RGB port in the back. Although I didnt have a DVI cable plugged into the display, only the RGB from the laptop, it still said no input. I should try my non dvi monitor that runs at 1280 x 1024. But still, I know in windows it comes right on or you do the hot key and it comes on. In osx what should I do?

Im not home so I cant test right now.

Did you try to boot with the external display connected?

I tried with my non dvi monitor and it does the same thing. WHen I boot with the external monitor, both monitors go black right when the background and desktop would have showed up.

picture1vq8.png

8800GT all working :rolleyes:

Grab:

http://rapidshare.com/files/78277297/gefor...2_kext.zip.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/78277298/OpenG...k-1052.zip.html

http://www.macdotnub.info/downloads/get.php?id=8

Make sure you repair disk permissions and make sure all the kexts/bundles are root:wheel

This fixed my 8800 GTS 512! I got my main display running on DVI 1280x1024@60 and secondary monitor on VGA 1280x1024@75. Just the usual: It takes about 1 minute after loginwindow has started to get something on the screen so be patient! Got full coreimage acceleration etc.. you're the man!!

this may be a dumb question but how do I even start this installation?

I mean... I can install Leopard but after I install and try to load it it goes black because THESE are the drivers I need lol.

are you guys plugging in another card to install these and THEN putting the 8 series in?

if its a dumb question I expect a dumb answer.

The only dumb question is the one that is never asked.

If you install with current installation DVDs (Kalyway, iATKOS, etc) probably they will install 10.5.1 kexts, and those does not work, so you need to delete at least NVDAResman.kext to load in VESA mode, you can do that with Single User mode (-s at boot option) then you can install any of the 10.5.2 NVidia kexts methods.

This is very helpful.

Me, even more of a humble newbie, can you point me to how I would go about going into VESA mode starting from the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD:

1) where is the point where I can apply the "-s" flag to get into singler user mode, is it from Terminal?

2) does it automatically start in VESA mode when I do the single user option

Thanks for any clues!

The only dumb question is the one that is never asked.

If you install with current installation DVDs (Kalyway, iATKOS, etc) probably they will install 10.5.1 kexts, and those does not work, so you need to delete at least NVDAResman.kext to load in VESA mode, you can do that with Single User mode (-s at boot option) then you can install any of the 10.5.2 NVidia kexts methods.

Hi all!

Two days ago I bought 8800GTS 512M. Amazing gaming card! Installed smoothly using NVInstallervV.33, QE/CI working.

But I also faced one BIG (for me) problem. I can't calibrate my display. Neither with Pantone calibrator nor manually (thru System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate). Color simply doesn't change. It's an issue for me 'cause my LCD monitor isn't accurate with default settings. Under Vista it calibrates perfectly.

Please, G92 owners, tell me, can you calibrate you displays or it's a common problem with 8800GT/GTS under Leopard?

Thank you.

I play TFT and the game is above 60fps. Dunno how you could tell the difference with X1900XT since X1900XT is running it at 60fps+ too.

I even enable fsaa 6x through OpenGL Profiler and the game is still smooth.

I noticed if you use the ZOOM function of OSX, UI score will drop to a REALLY low score, and I need to make my screen flicker (launching the game or changing my rez) so my UI speed is fine. This bug isn't due to NVIDIA drivers since I have it on my MBP X1600 too.

Asus 8800gt 512mb, core 2 duo e4400, asus p5k motherboard.Kalyway 1.5.1+update leopard 1.5.2. After install graphic update i have only 1024 max. Then download nvinject 0.21 and install it with Easy Install. After reboot i have only black screen. In win Vista with 2 monitors this video card set the tv like main monitor default. May be here the same thing? What's wrong? Sorry for english, i'm Russian=)

I just got me a Zotac 9600 GT Amp, device id: 062210DE.

I've used "Nvidia 10.5.2 kext installer v.33" and manually edited the Info.plist of NVDAResman,GeForce.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext as i'm on a nForce 4 Ultra.

It hangs at boot, no kernel panic, NVDA loads but then i have the error "NVDA::start (display) <1> failed".

Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks.

wow, nice one ;)

i thought since G94 is essentially a stripped down G92 that wouldn't matter...

Is Leopard never going to support G94, or doesn't support it for now?

edit: wow, searching for G94 got me 0 results. googling "G94 site:insanelymac.com" gave me the news you were mentioning. :\

Hi there,

i've got still some problems with my GTS512. Since i yet didn't find a good tutorial HOW i must edit the NV* files i tried lots of drivers. So my little history was:

Installing iATKOS R3

Installing 10.5.2 Update

Installing Graphics Update -> Panic -> remove nv* files

Installing .33 Drivers -> Panic -> remove nv* files

got some modified nv* files from mysticus -> installed them -> Worked! (resolution ok, video playing ok)

BTW: The kext package mysticus gave me was named "nforcepatched" and contained: GeForce.kext, nvdanv30hal.kext, nvdanv50hal.kext, nvdaresman.kext and NVinjekt.kext

Now i've done the Xbench and the results are pretty bad i think. Especially the Graphics section:

Quartz Graphics Test: 158.0

OpenGL Graphics Test: 110.17

User Interface Test: 224.80

What can i do now? Do i still need to edit the files with my iD? If yes, could anybody give me a hint or a link where is explained HOW to do that? I read often what to do but not how that works. Last question: Where do i find the specific ID of my Graphics card? Hope not in system profiler because it crashes every time i start it.

THX for the help!

DvP

there are several ways to edit the kexts, I use the Terminal method, which I like more.

If you have them already installed on the Extensions folder, goto to Utilities folder and run the Terminal app.

Onece Terminal app is runnig write "suddo su" and enter (without the quotes).

This will "convert" you in the root user.

Then call the text editor with the command "nano" or "pico" and tell it which file you want to edit, one by one is better.

pico /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Make your changes and save them. nano/pico have interactive help, as any comand on Terminal with peceding command "man", example "man pico".

If your kext are not already installed you can edit the same way but the directories are different. If you have them on the Desktop the path and command is: pico ~/Desktop/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist the tilde "~" is your home directory, is like writing the whole path pico /Users/username/Desktop/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist, of course username is different for everyone, so it is easier to write "~" instead.

OK this thread makes my head explode trying to understand it...

Can someone tell me step by step how to install my 8600GTS 512mb. I have tried allot of things but nothing works... I tried thev3.3 nforce drivers and I cant get into my system. I also tried some myst made but also couldnt get into the system

To MacGirl:

Thanks, but that didn't help either :-(

I would be very thankful too. I now use a modified driver from from the original gfx update pack now which runs quite well but think a little bit slower than it should.

I've got a 8800 GTS 512 and these are my xbench results:

Quartz Graphics Test 233.64

Line 183.61 12.22 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 250.56 74.81 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 201.81 16.45 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 191.09 4.82 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 563.50 35.25 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 164.58

Spinning Squares 164.58 208.78 frames/sec

User Interface Test 378.75

Elements 378.75 1.74 Krefresh/sec

Are these scores ok?

.33 Drivers didnt work for me even when i edited the IDs. Has anybody a suggestion or do i really have to flash the bios of the Graphics card :-(

Edit:

Another problem is that in random time steps my mousespeed goes very fast and after a few seconds the mouse just jumps arround so i cant click anything anymore. Only solution is sending the Hackintosh to sleep and wake it up again. If i dont do that, it crashes. Does anybody know what could help?

Thank you very much,

DvP