Nvidia G92 (8800GT) support in 10.5.2

Dense

359 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

@dane99 - if u want mac osx on your pc go buy yourself a real mac or try to make youreself a better osx86 and stop wineing about kalyways work!

My problem is that i have a wacom tablet pc (cintiq 12wx) that acts like a secondary monitor. When i finally get my job done with the tablet i do not want to have a dual display sistem so i remove de DVI Cable from the tablet but then my leo get's a blue fullscreen and that's where the game is over!

I have kalyway 10.5.1 plus update to 10.5.2, Kernel 9.2 plus 8800gt installet with nvinstaller!

Regards!

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a 8800GT but I need to be sure first :

Does it support dual display in 10.5.2 ?

I read some reports about only one DVI port working...

Cheers

the support exists but:

- after the leopard graphic updates (the ones from apple) everytime i unplug the secondary DVI (in my case the tablet pc display cintiq) my desktop get's a fullscreen blue background and the fix is to plug back in the secondary DVI!

It's annoying but i guess i will uninstall if i can the graphic updtes coz i do not see any slight improvement!

Regards!

hey guys can i have some help. i have an XFX Geforce 8800 GT 512 mb. All the methods that I've tried so far work and i can change my resolution and stuff, but minimizing large windows is a little choppy and so are games. even call of duty 2 lagged :/ My card plays Call of Duty 4 with full settings on vista so the card isnt the problem. does any1 else have this problem and could you please link me to a guide/tell me how you fixed this? thanks a bunch :D

Most game developers focus primarily on using DirectX. So if they make a game 'mac compatible' it is using OpenGL which will get far less attention in development in terms manpower and quality of code. Then there is the OpenGL standard that video card manufacturers also give less attention to. So don't expect better framerates etc on a game that was developed for both windows and mac.

• 3 weeks later...

The VGA should be connected on the 8600GT the DVI with the VGA adopter on the closest to the mother board.

I have 2 monitors now working without any detect screen and each monitor I can set to its specific resolution!

It has been very easy with 2 DVI to VGA adaptors.

For DVI I could not get dual screen but I am lucky as I have lots of monitors here such as a 21 inch Sony pro and a 22 inch Asus with also VGA

I followed the instuctions and made changes to the string

Unknown nVidia:

Chipset Model: Unknown nVidia

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

VW222:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

CPD-G500:

Resolution: 1280 x 960 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

I followed these instructions:

If You have to have the same video card as me for this guide to work for you because of the device id. If you have a different card you have a different id. Open 'Nvidia Installer V1.9 by Punk92' that came with this and Customize your install and tell it to install the default drivers, and also to install nvinject for 256mb ram video cards. thats all you need. after it finishes open your /System/Library/Extensions folder and find each of these kext files

GeForce.kext

NVDANV30.kext

NVDANv40.kext

NVDANV50.kext

NVDARESMAN.kext

You have to open each one by right clicking and selections "Show Package Contents." (you have to do this one file at a time or else you'll jack it all up...been there done that) So first off open "GeForce.kext" and then find the "info.plist" file, drag that to your desktop, but keep your window open that you took it from!

Open the file on the desktop and find a section that looks like "IOPCIPRIMARYMATCH" or "IOPCIMATCH." underneath this section of text youll see a part that says something along the lines of "<string>0x040210de&0xfff0ffff</string>". You want to delete everything in between the <string></string> tags and replace it with this "0x040210de&0xfff0ffff" (without the quotes obviously). Do this for each of the files I listed. Now, this is a bit annoying. Run the 'NVinject_permissions copy' and keep typing in your password. When it says done, move on!

Now open "Disk Utility" and on your "Leopard" disk click the "Repair Disk Permissions"

I hope this might help to others as it did.

I just got dual screen at once without detecting my displays.

I just sold my 7800gtx, was thinking of getting an 8800GT 1 GB. Would the 1 GB pose any problems? Since I already have the NVinject loaded from the kalyway installation, would I even need to make any software changes, or would it just work? Appreciate the help.

I have an XFX 8800GT running a 65" panasonic @ 1920x1080 & a 32" samsung running 1360x768 on output 2 (out1 vga, out2 DVI) with no probs here, runs like clockwork (kalyway 10.5.2)

acidan, that's great to hear. I have the same card--would you mind pointing me in the right direction on how to get it to work with kalyway 10.5.2?

acidan, that's great to hear. I have the same card--would you mind pointing me in the right direction on how to get it to work with kalyway 10.5.2?

So does the 8800gt just work out of the box with kalyway 10.5.2? I see it has the option for nvinject 512, is that the one you install for this card? Or is nothing required? I can't believe there is no guide on how to do it...

• 2 weeks later...

The guide posted on the first page did the trick, and it wasn't even that hard!

Thank you very much!

Now my friend's Club 3D 8800 GT works perfectly :huh:

A noob question:

If I do a fresh install from a retail 10.5.1 DVD, and use Apple's official update to update the system to say 10.5.4, my 8800gt should being recognized right away, right? I imagine the update will download the driver, and the system would recognize it and use the correct driver. In theroy, I don't need NVInject or something like that, right?

I know there are different brands for 8800gt, but let's assume my card is the same one in a mac pro.

My 9600 GSO 384MB works nearly great with the Nvinstaller on 10.5.4

But one Problem:

System Profiler shows a 8600GTS.

And the performance is very bad, at GF 7200/7300 Level.

Is there a way to make the 9600GSO/8800GS work at the normal speed?

I get around 28xx CB-GFX in Open GL Speedup in Cinebench R10, should be more like 5xxx for this card.

Same in WOW, System in Windows: 60-2xx fps, in OS-X 30-70 with the same settings....

I tried every possible solution (different nvinject versions etc) , but nothing solved the problem.

Right now i`m stuck with the newest nvinject, which gives me about 15800 in Openmark @ 700/1700/1000.

In Windows this card ist head to head with 9600GT and 8800GT , but in OS-X even a 7600GT can smoke it :thumbsup_anim:

I appreciate every tip, that could fix this :poster_oops:

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone knows how to get my GeForce 9800 GTX working?

plzzz

Keypox

I have tried that driver on my GPU doesnt work, screen just turns black during first boot:(

Probably if you try out this program and the info you find in this thread. My 9800GT does both qe and dual displays.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,64.60.html

Remember to clear caches in the system/library/extensions/folder before you reboot

• 1 month later...
Well first you need to download the files posted in this topic, one contains the kexts, and the other is the OpenGL Framework. The kexts go System/Library/Extensions, it will probably ask you for your password and will ask you if you want to replace the current ones in there, do both.

Then for the OpenGL Framework, Go to System/Library/, and find the OpenGL Framework, delete it (or back it up in case it brutally fails) and place the new folder (called OpenGL Framework, the one you downloaded) and put it there. Then Open Disk Utility and repair permissions. You'll probably get a bunch of errors when you put in all the files, just ignore then (click okay for them).

Then reboot, oh and make sure you have NVinject 0.17. That's pretty much how I got mine working. Oh and my card is an 8600M GT with 512MB, I didn't flash the rom or anything, pretty much stock.

Help!....anyone???

I have a PNY 8800GT 512mb. I downloaded the files in your links and followed your instructions. Everything at first seemed to go great. After reboot it came up in 1600x1200 resolution and showed up correctly in the system profiler. I went to check out the resolution options under display in system prefernces, and as soon as clicked on it the screen went blue. I rebooted and it came back however, the resolution was back to 1024x768. As soon as I clicked on the display in system preferences, the cycle continued.

Anyone have a similar problem or have any solutions?? Any help would be great!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my EVGA 8800GTS (G92) is working fine via NVinject512...(with QE support, and the works) the only problem is that if the display is allowed to go to sleep (or if I switch it off with the button and then back on again) I get stuck at a blue screen. Sometimes I see the desktop flash and then the blue screen comes up, but no combination of keystrokes or mouseclicks can get me back to the desktop...

Any idea what causes this or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :D

Is there a method to get the 9800GT working on 10.5.2 ? I haven't updated my system yet and I have no idea how to get this card working with Leopard ?

If my case is dead, then is there a card that you recommend ? I need a top of the range card that is supported by this community.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much to everyone on this forum for helping me get through a MAC Leopard install. My next task is updating the system from 10.5.2. Following a link I saw in this thread I went on to find the forums at NVinject and found the absolute most helpful guide to updating my video card drivers (nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra).

http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.p...asc&start=0

It walked me through how to use the .kext and upon reboot I was fully able to use my video card's resolution settings.

For those of you too lazy to click (or in case the link ever goes down or the thread is deleted) I'll post it below:

Here is how you need to proceed to install NVinject (it also applies to any other extension .kext file) :

First make sure you remove any previous injecter (TITAN, NATIT or previous NVinject version)

Before using terminal with root permissions, you also have to set a password to your admin user account (or your user account if you have only 1 user registered on your OS X install)

1- Copy NVinject.kext in a folder you can access easily

2- Open Terminal.app (in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)

3- type :

sudo su -

which will ask for your Admin password to open a Super User Terminal session.

4- CD to the directory where you place NVinject.kext, here we placed it in "install" folder on Desktop for user gotoh :

cd /users/gotoh/desktop/install/

5- set correct ownership for file recursively (extensions are file containers) :

chown -R 0:0 NVinject.kext

This sets file ownership to "root" user, "wheel" group

6- set correct permissions to file recursively :

chmod -R 755 NVinject.kext

7- now move the file to extensions directory :

mv NVinject.kext /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

8- you should now remove extensions and kernel caches before rebooting :

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext  
  rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/  
  rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/

9- you can now leave the Super User Terminal session :

exit

10- Make sure you have the necessary NVIDIA Files in your Extensions folder :

NVDAResman.kext (required)

NVDANV50Hal.kext (required for GeForce 8 series)

NVDANV40Hal.kext (required for GeForce 7/8 series)

NVDANV30Hal.kext (required for GeForce 5 series and some GeForce 6 series)

NVDANV20Hal.kext (not required, for older cards, supported on PowerPC Macs only)

NVDANV10Hal.kext (not required, for older cards, supported on PowerPC Macs only)

GeForce3GLDriver.bundle (not required, for older cards, supported on PowerPC Macs only)

GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle (not required, for older cards, supported on PowerPC Macs only)

GeForceVADriver.bundle (required)

GeForceGA.plugin (required)

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle (required)

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle (required for GeForce 8 series)

GeForce.kext (required)

11- you may now reboot and the newly installed extension should be loaded. For further safety, you may want to boot with -f flag at Darwin Bootloader (to force reloading all extensions), especially if you're running Leopard.

This is enough to get the card WORKING but not necessarily the right settings (full ram usage and such). In order to get all those settings squared away you can download Plist Edit Pro.

First, open the System Profiler and under Hardware go to Graphics/Displays

Look at the Device ID. Notice it's a Hex value. You won't need the 0x, just the stuff after it (should be 4 characters)

Open up a Finder window and go to /System/Library/Extensions/

Right Click (Option-Click) on NVinject.kext and click Show Package Contents

Find the Info.plist and edit it with Plist Edit Pro

Find the IOPCIMatch entry. Modify the first hex code (it should be 8 characters) to read 0x<DEVICE ID>10de(the rest). Basically you're editing the first 4 characters after 0x to be the same as your Device ID.

Now under entriesToAdd find VRAM,totalsize and set it to your total onboard ram for your memory card (not shared)

use the following values:

"VRAM,totalsize" :
 <00000008> - 128Mb
 <00000010> - 256Mb
 <00000014> - 320Mb
 <00000020> - 512Mb
 <00000028> - 640Mb
 <00000030> - 768Mb

If you don't have an entry for VRAM,totalsize simply create one and make it of type Data

Change the NVCAP entry to follow the chart here. Find the chart that has your output types and read its NVCAP (I didn't have to modify this as it was set correctly)

Now open up NVDAResman.kext and change the IOPCMatch entry to match what you put into NVinject.kext

Open up NVDANV50Hal.kext (or the kext that applies to you depending on your video card) and make the same change.

That should be everything!

Now you just need to do this part again:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext  
  rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/  
  rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/

reboot and use the -f option again in the boot loader and you should be all set! This is exactly what I did for my 8800 Ultra and should work for you as well. This is a walk-through from one newbie to another using sources I've found mostly on this forum. I merely put them together in one easy to find spot and laid it out in an understandable manner (with less researching on your part).

Enjoy!