Nvidia G92 (8800GT) support in 10.5.2

Dense

359 posts in this topic

Now I have another problem xD

After reinstall OSX and repeat the previous operations, with NVinject 0.2.0, it seems that the screen shutdown after OSX boot,hdd led show activity so i switch from DVI to VGA cable,test also with another screen and change the <key>Graphics Mode</key> <string>1680x1050x32</string> in com.apple.Boot.plist but it don't resolve anything.

I'm having exactly the same problem with NVinject 0.2.0.. to make it work I just changed NVinject to Natit Unfortunately I could make this Natit (yet) to work with my 512MB GRAM (only 256MB are being recognized), but tomorrow I'll try "PrepertyList Editor" instead of just text edit I used. Maybe that would help.

I'm having exactly the same problem with NVinject 0.2.0.. to make it work I just changed NVinject to Natit Unfortunately I could make this Natit (yet) to work with my 512MB GRAM (only 256MB are being recognized), but tomorrow I'll try "PrepertyList Editor" instead of just text edit I used. Maybe that would help.

Probably that there is confusion between the integrated 6100 of nForce4 and the PCIex graphic card.

Natit works great (even with 256MB), thanks for advice :D

Greets to macgirl too, Marvin's utility patched some files, OpenGL.framework and NVDAResman.kext.

Hi all. I finally got my 8600 GT (256) working and have 1680x1050 res - All thanks to you guys. You did a great job here and on Scene.

My both displays are shown in system info, so seems all ok except it says Quartz Extreme Not Supported for both displays.

I have SIEMENS L22-1W on DVI2VGA connector and Plasma as second display on DVI.

I use NVinject 0.2.0 and nvidea kexts from 10.5.2.

Maybe I should try Natit instead of NVinject?

Any ideas how I can enable QE please?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. not sure if it's related but I cannot play mpg movies in Quick time and VLC - they both terminate and report error...

Wait, am I to understand that there's going to be problems using these chips with an AMD CPU? Cause there's gotta be a way around that. And from what I've seen there's lots of workarounds for AMD chips with Leopard, I've got the Kalyway image right now. Is that going to be any use on my machine?

8800GT 512MB QE/CI supported http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5968/natitek5.jpg

I cannot take away any more the stupid smile of my happy face.

My method for 8800GT on AMD 64 X2 and nForce4 6100 motherboard with Natit:

1/Download this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/78277297/gefor...2_kext.zip.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/78277298/OpenG...k-1052.zip.html

and Natit.kext here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33007

2/Modify the IOPCIMatch in Natit.kext.'s Info.plists to match with your graphic card, remove all other Device IDs.

(For nForce4 motherboard with integrated graphic card users, edit GeForce.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext too)

You can use Property List Editor from XCode or PlistEditPro trial .http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/ (maybe a simple text editor like nano if you know how to edit this XML file).

System Information show you the Device ID (on my screenshot 0x0611) and the Vendor (0x10de) so the IOPCIMatch is 0xDeviceIDVendor (0x061110de)

For 8800GT:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x061110de</string>

Add to Natit.kext under NVCAP for 512MB graphic cards (see the screenshot):

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data><00000020></data>

3/Copy the Natit.kext, geforce_1052_kext.zip's kexts on /System/Library/Extensions/, OpenGL.framework to /System/Library/Frameworks/ and:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Frameworks/*

AMD users must use Marvin's AMD Utility from another OSX partition http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=67917

Type your password, use "Create Patcher Package", browse to /Volume/"LeopardPartition"/System/Library/Extensions/, "Run"

Use "Patch all cpuids using a cpuid data file", remove "Simulation mode", select cpuid file: /User/"YourName"/Desktop/AMD.Patch.Folder/"TheLastFolder"/cpuid and select /Volume/"LeopardPartition"/System/Library/Extensions/,"Run"

Repeat this operation with /System/Library/Frameworks/ (3 files to patch)

Reboot, take a look at system info you must see QE/CI enabled (and 512MB).

Geez, better say goodbye to my now resting quad-boot system. Cause if I need another partition for this, it's not gonna be pretty. Should I just wait for the FINAL?

Use Partimage or tar.gz your datas. My linux (4go for kde4 ubuntu) is safety placed on dvd now. You can also use GParted for resizing partitions, install Tiger, chroot from a Linux live cd, install grub and put time machine on Tiger's partition :D

I share my data on NTFS partition, use ntfs3g & link my windows's documents and my linux's /home on it so i never lost anything:D

Personally I learn few things on breakin^W^W^W^W^W^W^W modifying my systems.You can lost 2 hours for reinstalling everything or wait for a final.

GIK, is that for AMD users or intel users? or both?

if you do know how, do i just burn the iso into the dvd?

or do i daemon tools it first and then burn the contents?

For both,except Marvin's Utility part of course.

Just burn your .iso to a dvd (but rw seems capricious)

Success!!!

My 8600gt is working on a ga-p35-ds3l. I used natit because my system always stopped booting (grey screen, spinningwheel stopped) when I´m using nvinject.

Thanks to all the people who made this working!!!

Just picked myself up an 8800GT 512MB.

Well, the card works and is fully supported, but my OpenGL scores are painfully low. Hopefully the final OGL framework will be more optimized...

Anyone else find that they got really low OGL scores? I'm using NVInject with the VRAMTotalSize flag set for 512 MB VRam and the 10.5.2 kexts and OGL framework.

I wrote this tut for all the people that, like myself (a noob on mac), spend hours to get a 8800GT to work on my Leopard..After installign over and over again....

Maybe thing are double or not really needed to do this way but i just wrote exactly all the steps i did to finally get a working 8800GT on my leo..

I Want to thank all other people on this form for all their research and info provided... I just put their stuff together to make everything a bit more clear for myself and hopefully also for you....So all credit goes to them!!

If things don't work or what so ever don't ask me just search on this form!!

My System is:

X38-DQ6 mainboard

Q6600 CPU

4GB Team Extreme memory

2-sata (Because of Raid) On intel ICH9R chip

1-ide (Leopard is installed on that one) AHCI On gigabyte SATA 2 chip

If you want to install leopard from Kalyway DVD make sure that the HDD where you install is putt on AHCI in the bios!!

-Files needed:

http://rapidshare.com/files/78277297/gefor...2_kext.zip.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/78277298/OpenG...k-1052.zip.html

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33007 (46.35kb)

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3940886/KALYWA...l_SSE2_and_SSE3

http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=54098 (info about kext-helper)

Important: after each re-install make all partitions new again (otherwice system will hang after install finished and boots->gray screen)

Just for info: for people don't knowing... "xxxxx.kext" are actually folders and not files and to open you can do that by clicking right on it and choose "Show Package Content"

Install from scratch:

Bios-settings:

BIOS SETTINGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT ! SO THIS IS A BIOS SETTING TEMPLATE:

To your CPU CONFIGURATION section :

MAX CPUID VALUE Limit (or similar) : Disabled

Vanderpool or virtualization : Disabled

CPU TM Function : Enabled

Excecute Disable Bit (or called NX or XD on some mobos) : Enabled (the most important, if not enabled the result is reboot loop with vanilla kernel)

To your POWER section:

ACPI 2.0 Support : Enabled

ACPI APIC : Enabled

Burn the Kalyway DVD and...

Install the Kalyway dvd -> press F8 and type: Vanilla

....wait... when Leo shows up:

Open disk utility and make 2 partions named:

->Leopard -> as HFS+ Journaled partition

->Click Options and select: GUID

->Another partition the way you like.... maybe for shared files with windows OS

After partition is made close disk utility.

->click continue

->Choose Leopard partition

->Click continue

->Click Customize

->Check box "Vanilla kernel and EFI" both or select main box (this will check both inside)

->Check if available your soundcard kexts and network kext... up to you

->Click continue

Installation starts....finish in about 25 minutes....

Move mouse every few minutes (i did 2 min) to prevent that system will not respond)

after installation finish reboot.

Answer all required questions....

As soon Leopard is started:

->Install plisteditpro (needed to modify Natit.kext later!!)

->Open Kext-helper (see applications, where you just added plisteditpro) (info usage kext-helper see: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=54098)

->Extract the two zip files (do this on your leopard, not windows!!)

->Drag/drop the first kext from the extracted geforce_1052_kext unzipped folder into the kext-helper

->Enter your password in the password field (you created during your first login into leopard)

->Click on: EASY INSTALL

->After install finished -> click: Clear All

->Drag/drop the second kext from the extracted geforce_1052_kext unzipped folder into the kext-helper

Do all the kext from geforce_1052_kext. unzipped folder that way!

After you finsihed all kexts in the folder geforce_1052_kext unzipped folder do the following:

->drag/drop Natit.kext into the kext-helper

->Close kext-helper

->Click your leopard disk on your desktop

->If there is...Delete the folder: System/Frameworks/OpenGl.frameworks

->Copy the folder OpenGL.framework (which you extracted from the zip file "OpenGL.framework-1052.zip") into the directory: System/Frameworks/

->Now the more trickier part:

You need to modify the Natit.kext and than to save it!! For this you need the correct user rights otherwice you are not able to save your changes!

To have the user right:

->Click right on the folder Systems/Extensions and click on "Get Info"

->On the poping-up screen is on the bottom a sharing & permissions:

->Here you can add yourself (incase your not in this list)...under privilege click read/write

->Notice the "lock symbol" on the bottom-right!! You can click it to add a user and change user right (use your user password here)

->If later you have the same problem with any file or folder do the same thing again to get permissions!!

->Go to System/Extensions/Natit.kext and click right mouse button on it.

->Choose in the menu: "Show Package Content"

->Window pops-up

->Open folder: Contents

->Now you click twice on info.plist

->plisteditPro (which we installed before) will now open this file!

->Make the following changes for your 8800GT:

->Look for (somewhere in the beginning of the document):

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string> 0ffx blabla ....some long code here..... </string>

replace with:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x061110de</string>

Note: The part between <string> tags may differ... check you system info ->menu->click top right on apple->About this mac->More info->Graphics/Display-> and check for "Vendor:" and Device ID:

The number between string is a combination of those two!!!

->Scroll whole the way down

->Look for:

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>BAABAAA etc etc etc</data>

->add below as follow:

<data>AAAAIA==</data>

Note: This will set the correct memory from VGA to 512MB (which you can check later by opening again System info as above, after reboot)

->So now it should look like:

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>....BAABAAA etc etc etc....</data>

<data>AAAAIA==</data>

->Click on the red dot on the right top to close the file and when it asks to save....SAVE IT... If you have no permissions check the part above the assign user rights!!

Now the last part:

->Open Terminal (found in applications) and excute the following lines:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Frameworks/*

close terminal and reboot and hope everything goes fine....

Hopefully everything was clear... so good luck getting your 8800GT to work.. :)

Use Partimage or tar.gz your datas. My linux (4go for kde4 ubuntu) is safety placed on dvd now. You can also use GParted for resizing partitions, install Tiger, chroot from a Linux live cd, install grub and put time machine on Tiger's partition :)

I share my data on NTFS partition, use ntfs3g & link my windows's documents and my linux's /home on it so i never lost anything:D

Personally I learn few things on breakin^W^W^W^W^W^W^W modifying my systems.You can lost 2 hours for reinstalling everything or wait for a final.

Yeah, it's just that it's been a huge pain getting all these operating systems working. Also, I hope GParted has better luck resizing my partitions than Acronis did (wouldn't work very well). Thanks.

I've read through this whole thread, but I still cannot find confirmation that the new G92 Geforce 8800GTSs work with these new kexts. Would this card work, for example?: EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail? I'm about to pull the trigger on a new system, and just want to be sure I can run OSX with QE/CI on it before doing so.

I've read through this whole thread, but I still cannot find confirmation that the new G92 Geforce 8800GTSs work with these new kexts. Would this card work, for example?: EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail? I'm about to pull the trigger on a new system, and just want to be sure I can run OSX with QE/CI on it before doing so.

yes it works with 10.5.2 kexts , i own a gainward 8800gts 512mb and got it working qe/ci

YEEEESSSSSSS !!!!!!!!

It's a great day today, christmas with just 2 days late, what a great news !!! 8600GTS support !!!

It's working like a charm with the 2 kexts from 10.5.2 on a fresh kalyway leo 10.5.1 install (guid+efi)

lots of thanks to all the people on this forum for doing and sharing this hard work !!!

140M (G84) Nv Mobile works 100% in Dell D830 laptop. I do not see the Model of the card in profiler but I do see QE/CI now supported!!!

I am using the NVinjectGO version 0.2 the newest one. Do I need to put my ID in there somewhere?