Nvidia G92 (8800GT) support in 10.5.2

Dense

359 posts in this topic

palote, when unzipping the new OpenGL.Framework make sure you do it on a HFS+ (Mac) partition and not a FAT32 or NTFS partition.

The framework contains symbolic links that cannot exist on NTFS/FAT32 and thus the new OpenGL.Framework will not work.

I ran into that problem before and for me it caused QE/CI to be disabled.

WOW!!!! Thanks so much!!!!!!

WOKING LIKE A CHARM!!!!

;)

Hello I've installed the Geforce kext and the opengl extensions, and nvinject 0.2.0

Just rebooted, and everything seems fine, but the extended menues.

When clicking the apple (top left) the menu looks like this 2132568451_bd3dc64ae0_o.png

I have a Geforce 8600m GT (Dell Vostro 1500)

How can I check if everything installed correctly?

Any suggestions what could be wrong...?

Thanks in advance

Hello I've installed the Geforce kext and the opengl extensions, and nvinject 0.2.0

Just rebooted, and everything seems fine, but the extended menues.

When clicking the apple (top left) the menu looks like this 2132568451_bd3dc64ae0_o.png

I have a Geforce 8600m GT (Dell Vostro 1500)

How can I check if everything installed correctly?

Any suggestions what could be wrong...?

Thanks in advance

Yeah you didn't put the new opengl.framework

Hi could OpenGL.framework be the reason that my leopard is not shutting down properly anymore.

Before i did the replacements of the kexts and the framework it worked good.

Any idea?

Yeah I have the same bug with my G80, NVIDIA kexts are quite bugged on GeForce 8 series, even G80... Don't ask me why...

Yeah you only need natit/nvinject + kexts + OGL.FK

Thanks for your advice

It was a newbie mistake, placed the opengl.framework in the wrong place.

Just noticed another problem, when i try to restart, the screen turns off but the computer doesnt shuts down... is this my mistake or a common issue?

Thanks again

I can`t get nvinject or natit to work with IAtkos release and 8800GT 512MB, QE/CI stay in sofware or i get no boot.... I am noob but this is 4th time i reinstalled :)

kext helper use for kext install and nvinject 2.0 (duno if i need to edit anything inside it?)....

Because the update is in BETA stage not Final Release. :huh:

Obviously you didn't notice I'm using a G80 chip and I'm actually using 10.5.1 kexts, not 10.5.2 so i'm running FINAL kexts, not Beta one.

Actually those kexts are done since May and the launch of the Santa Rosa MBP. Though, it uses GeForce 8800 GTS OpenGL Engine which isn't officially supported by Apple, so that should explain why I have that shutdown bug.

To G300 : yeah it's a common issue we have with G80 chips too and with FINAL kexts. So that won't be fixed I guess with 10.5.2 final :( That's some hackintosh bug... Maybe if Mac Pro really uses G92 as a display card, but it seems not since you have that bug :/ I'm not sure...

Obviously you didn't notice I'm using a G80 chip and I'm actually using 10.5.1 kexts, not 10.5.2 so i'm running FINAL kexts, not Beta one.

Oh, really? AFAIK Real Macs don't have G80s cards, so how can you tell they are not beta on that chipset, just because the MacBook Pro has the 8600GT does not mean they have "Final" release, so why the last updates and specific updates for the MacBook Pro have Nvidia Kexts, if they were really Final no more of those kexts don't you think?

I'm afraid that AMD systems can't use this new kexts.

All profiles here that successfully use it is Intels,wrong?

I have 10.5.1 with ToH kernel on AMD 64 X2.

I tried NVinject 0.1.3, 0.1.7, 0.2.0.

I have modified the IOPCIMatch on Info.plists to match with my 8800GT on NVinject.kext, GeForce.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, because it's nForce 4 6100 motherboard:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x061110de</string>

I've added to NVinject.kext as http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php image show it:

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<string><00000020></string>

I copied the NVinject.kext, geforce_1052_kext.zip's kexts on /System/Library/Extensions/, OpenGL.framework to /System/Library/Frameworks/ and

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL*

I've rebooted with -v -f flags. No ways to make it functional, NVinject 0.1.3 and 0.1.7 are not recognized, CI is software and QE is unsupported, NVinject 0.2.0 freeze the boot (with or without -x flag).

Correct me if I miss something somewhere ;)

EDIT:sorry, it's <data><00000020></data>

palote,

VRAM,totalsize has to be set manually in "info.plist" file inside package content using PrepertyList Editor as follow :

(snip)

that's your answer

Do you happen to know how to do this with 0.2.0? It doesn't seem to have a field for this, and although I got my BFG 8800GT OC working properly, it's showing 256mb when it should be 512.

Oh, really? AFAIK Real Macs don't have G80s cards, so how can you tell they are not beta on that chipset, just because the MacBook Pro has the 8600GT does not mean they have "Final" release, so why the last updates and specific updates for the MacBook Pro have Nvidia Kexts, if they were really Final no more of those kexts don't you think?

The 10.5.1 kexts are obviously 100% approved kexts by Apple and tested in their labs. Sure they update it, like on Windows when NVIDIA is updating their video drivers :/

And I'm sure G80 drivers share the same drivers as the one from the MBP : for example when Blizzard fixes any specific Mac Book Pro Santa Rosa graphic bug in WoW, it gets fixed on G80 too. And I doubt they care about G80 users :P It still uses NV50.kext, and so is G92 that is using the same driver base : that's why we all get the shutdown prob and it won't get fixed in 10.5.2.

Did you ran Marvin's Utility on kext and framework?

Marvin's Utility give me a: <<script>> Doesn't understand the <<event earsffdr>> message :/

"So, you need an installation of OSX that isn't running for Marvin's utility to patch."

I need to install Tiger on another partition, I presume. I will test.

what's marvin's utility?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=67917

"For AMD users, this utility allows you to locate the binaries in your OSX installation which are encrypted or have cpuids. Then it will permit you to patch them so that they will operate on your AMD system."

Do you happen to know how to do this with 0.2.0? It doesn't seem to have a field for this, and although I got my BFG 8800GT OC working properly, it's showing 256mb when it should be 512.

You can use Property List Editor from XCode, PlistEditPro trial, or a simple text editor (like nano).

After

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>NVinject 0.2.0</string>

Add

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<string><00000020></string>

Now I have another problem xD

After reinstall OSX and repeat the previous operations, with NVinject 0.2.0, it seems that the screen shutdown after OSX boot,hdd led show activity so i switch from DVI to VGA cable,test also with another screen and change the <key>Graphics Mode</key> <string>1680x1050x32</string> in com.apple.Boot.plist but it don't resolve anything.

EDIT:sorry, it's <data><00000020></data>

The 10.5.1 kexts are obviously 100% approved kexts by Apple and tested in their labs. Sure they update it, like on Windows when NVIDIA is updating their video drivers :/

And I'm sure G80 drivers share the same drivers as the one from the MBP : for example when Blizzard fixes any specific Mac Book Pro Santa Rosa graphic bug in WoW, it gets fixed on G80 too. And I doubt they care about G80 users :P It still uses NV50.kext, and so is G92 that is using the same driver base : that's why we all get the shutdown prob and it won't get fixed in 10.5.2.

c'mon, we live in a BETA world, too much failures...

Don't worry, in the FINAL realease there will be no windows, and Mac OS will be supported on any chip.

You don't seem to get my point but never mind. :( I'm pretty sure 10.5.2 final release will have the same bug, ie try to sleep then wake up your PC, this will work, but after this, try to shutdown or reboot and it'll be stuck on a black screen.

This problem occurs ever since I'm using Leopard 10.5.0 on G80, while it didn't with Tiger (but I did use the hot-plug trick) and I think it isn't due to the drivers but the fact we are using the drivers on non supported cards :(

Anyway, it's not a big deal to me since sleep/wake up works fine. What bothers me is OpenGL performances are bad for GeForce 8800GTS 640MB (G80) and I guess that won't be improved. It seems to be the same with G92 (GeForce 8800GT/GTS 512) but if Mac Pro do INDEED have those cards, then I guess Apple/NVIDIA will begin improving the drivers.

This issue probably has nothing to do with Nvidia cards/kexts some have the same issue with Intel or ATI cards.

In my case I cant make the Dell sleep, it sleep for a fraction of a second and the it wakes instantly.

On my AMD it sleeps but never wakes up.