Nvidia G92 (8800GT) support in 10.5.2

Dense

359 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I have an Inno3D GF 8800 GTS 512Mb

Does anyone kwow how to check what core the video card has (g80 or g92)?

I did a search in google and it appears to be 2 versions??? g80 and g92?? I'm not sure about this and would like to know if there is any way to ask the card? (I mean any command or something to check which one is the one I have)

I have it running in Leopard, but the system freezes from time to time, when using Photoshop or iPhoto retouching.

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I have an Inno3D GF 8800 GTS 512Mb

Does anyone kwow how to check what core the video card has (g80 or g92)?

I believe that all 512MB 8800 GTS cards use the G92 core. The G80 core is used in 640MB and 320MB 8800 GTS cards.

With the latest 10.5.2+ drivers from CycloneFR, I get decent OGL/game performance, however if the system sits at the screensaver for too long, it will hard lock. :/

Hmmm I guess it's due to the beta drivers and hopefully it's gonna be improved in final 10.5.2... For now, I'd suggest you to disable the screensaver, at least I have no freeze leaving my PC powered on so it might be due to the screensaver and some beta drivers bug.

BTW who the hell deleted my post ? I'm fed up answering twice the same thing.

All those with 8800gt gfx... have you experienced system freeze after retouching photos in iPhoto '08 ?

or any other unexpected system behavior ?

In addition I'm still having problems with system sleep :(

I have an 8800 GTS 512Mb and I'm experiencing the same thing. Retouching in iPhoto or Photoshop freeze my system :-(

Installed the latest G80 and the G92 beta (from 10.5.2) and still the same thing

I have an 8800 GTS 512Mb and I'm experiencing the same thing. Retouching in iPhoto or Photoshop freeze my system :-(

Installed the latest G80 and the G92 beta (from 10.5.2) and still the same thing

10.5.2 nvidia kext need the whole 10.5.2 update

just wait till the 10.5.2 total update comes out

and then install separate nvidia drivers update

10.5.2 nvidia kext need the whole 10.5.2 update

just wait till the 10.5.2 total update comes out

and then install separate nvidia drivers update

A quick update on my system:

I just installled this NVInstaller V.3.1

And.... Woooohoooo!!!!

Got my 8800 GTS 512Mb working fine! :blink:

No more freezing retouching in iPhoto or Photoshop!!!!

Still have to test Final Cut, but it's looking great so far!!

Vram shows 771 though....

Yes, but I don't use NVinject anymore; switched to using a gfx string with EFI.
Forgive the newbie question, but how do you do something like that? Can I use this installer then switch to the EFI string? My goal is to try to make my system as Vanilla as possible.

8800GT Graphics

Q6600 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Quad

GA-P35-ds3r Motherboard

No one tried it but it SHOULD work. Just tweak the total VRam to 1000 MB. At least, G80 GTX 768MB were working fine !

Cool... there's only one thing to discover before truly ordering that VGA: is the 1 Gb total memory DDR2 or DDR3? I hope in a typo in the description of the website where I'm buying it... do 1 Gb 8800GT DDR2 VGA boards exist??? It's a nonsenseee!!! I'm going to buy the ASUS EN8800GT one.

The VGA I've ordered is an Asus EN8800GT/HDTP/1G. Looking for a suitable link...

Edit: Here is the VGA http://www.centerzone.it/nvidia/asus-prese...8800gt-1gb.html, certainly GDDR3 but here's the description in the website where I've placed the order: SVGA PCI-E ASUS EN8800GT/HTDP/1GB NVIDIA 8800GT-600 1GBDDR2-1.8G 256BIT 2DVI HDTV HDCP

I asked them to check if this was a Typo a week ago, but nobody answered me... getting a bit nervous...

Edit: this is the official asus description: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&amp...amp;modelmenu=1, and it's the only 1 GB model ever produced. Just waiting feedback from the order's website...

i spoke to an Apple engineer yesterday. The thing is that I see that you can buy an upgrade for Mac Pros from Apple, to a 8800GT 512MB card. So I called and played dumb and got on the phone with an engineer. Told him I had a 6 month old Apple Pro and wanted a new card. He said that only the latest Mac Pros with PCIe v.2 would support the 8800GT and that support for that card was already in 10.5.1.

So here I am with my 8800GT card, which I feel is the only ? in my system. I was told by an Apple engineer that it was already supported in Mac Pros in 10.5.1 and that it required PCIe v.2 , which my mobo only has v.1, you need a X38 based board to get v.2. So maybe the vanilla code is written to go across a v.2 bus and will not work correctly across a v.1 bus?

I think that this is going to become an issue for us 8800GT holders. I ordered a 7300GT last night just in case as those cards work right out of the box.

Let me know what you think or hear... i'm not sold anymore on the 8800GT support on homebrew boxes unless you have an X38 chipset, which I did not get 2 weeks ago... should i start to kick myself now?

Here is an old thread ... in which this guy got this a long time ago:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...hreadid=2144413

I wonder how this will effect those of us with PC-EFI, v.1 bus, and a GT8800? vs. PC-EFI, v.2 bus, and a GT8800????

Could someone please comment as to whether they got tv-out working on their leopard install and 8800GT. This feature has been disabled in Windows on the 8x000 series and full screen tv-out is essential for me.

Thanks