Nvidia G92 (8800GT) support in 10.5.2

Dense

359 posts in this topic

i spoke to an Apple engineer yesterday. The thing is that I see that you can buy an upgrade for Mac Pros from Apple, to a 8800GT 512MB card. So I called and played dumb and got on the phone with an engineer. Told him I had a 6 month old Apple Pro and wanted a new card. He said that only the latest Mac Pros with PCIe v.2 would support the 8800GT and that support for that card was already in 10.5.1.

So here I am with my 8800GT card, which I feel is the only ? in my system. I was told by an Apple engineer that it was already supported in Mac Pros in 10.5.1 and that it required PCIe v.2 , which my mobo only has v.1, you need a X38 based board to get v.2. So maybe the vanilla code is written to go across a v.2 bus and will not work correctly across a v.1 bus?

I think that this is going to become an issue for us 8800GT holders. I ordered a 7300GT last night just in case as those cards work right out of the box.

Let me know what you think or hear... i'm not sold anymore on the 8800GT support on homebrew boxes unless you have an X38 chipset, which I did not get 2 weeks ago... should i start to kick myself now?

Here is an old thread ... in which this guy got this a long time ago:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...hreadid=2144413

I wonder how this will effect those of us with PC-EFI, v.1 bus, and a GT8800? vs. PC-EFI, v.2 bus, and a GT8800????

8800GT works fine with PCIe 1.0 on a PC, you don't need PCIE 2.0 : Apple is lying, the problem doesn't come from pcie2 but from efi.

Anyway on PC as long as you have 10.5.2 kexts you are good to go, even in pcie1.0.

8800GT works fine with PCIe 1.0 on a PC, you don't need PCIE 2.0 : Apple is lying, the problem doesn't come from pcie2 but from efi.

Anyway on PC as long as you have 10.5.2 kexts you are good to go, even in pcie1.0.

Could be true in relations to real Mac Pros, I don't know but you are right that this doesn't matter on Hackintoshes.

It certainly wouldn't be a software issue either way, it would be more a hardware issue and whether Apple's 8800GT cards were hard locked to a single operating voltage.

Finally got Leopard working. This works on my 10.5.1 AMD installation. Full QE and CI with my eVGA 8600 GT 256 MB. I'll post some screenys when I figure out how to take screenshots in OS X (dumbass here).

Can you show your version of GeForce.kext and NVDAResman.kext in /System/Library/Extensions to me ? Please ! Because I must delete GeForce.kext to prevent panic on boot of my AMD system which can work with 10.4.8 before.

ok so i've updated to 10.5.2 and I've tried opengl extension benchmark.. i have nvs135m (the same card like 8400gs)..

but I still need to put the display to sleep to have the full power of my graphic card.. maybe that I have to delete some files (the beta kexts) but i don't want to screw my installation.. Does anybody try it?

the beta kexts+framework are update to 10.5.2 final also if you did ,you don't need to delete/replace them with new one (9c31)

anyway i'm @ work now ,i'll do a clean 10.5.1 install later and i'll update to 10.5.2 with the combo update i've downloaded yesterday

then only install natit.kext should give me again qe/ci and i'll start testing the system how it reacts compare to beta kexts for the 8800GT

the beta kexts+framework are update to 10.5.2 final also if you did ,you don't need to delete/replace them with new one (9c31)

anyway i'm @ work now ,i'll do a clean 10.5.1 install later and i'll update to 10.5.2 with the combo update i've downloaded yesterday

then only install natit.kext should give me again qe/ci and i'll start testing the system how it reacts compare to beta kexts for the 8800GT

I did just that this am... retail install, replaced my files, then did the update to 10.5.2. Thought I would have native support for my card, but not. I cut back to my other install, copied over NVinject and have been up and running all day. Do you think natit.kext is better than the NVinject?

picture1vq8.png

8800GT all working :)

Grab:

http://rapidshare.com/files/78277297/gefor...2_kext.zip.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/78277298/OpenG...k-1052.zip.html

http://www.macdotnub.info/downloads/get.php?id=8

Make sure you repair disk permissions and make sure all the kexts/bundles are root:wheel

I did this and the card is now detected, but whenever I try and change resolutions, everything's all blue. :(

edit: oddly, the problem is that OS X want's to put my main desktop on the 2nd DVI output, but doesn't detect the first as being valid.

I did this and the card is now detected, but whenever I try and change resolutions, everything's all blue. :|

edit: oddly, the problem is that OS X want's to put my main desktop on the 2nd DVI output, but doesn't detect the first as being valid.

Omniron, Is this before or after 10.5.2 updated kexts? Also, aren't the 3 packages pre-10.5.2? Please provide more detailed info of what you got working, what is your specific hardware, etc, Thanks.

I did this and the card is now detected, but whenever I try and change resolutions, everything's all blue. :thumbsup_anim:

That's a rather old NVinject you are using, try 2.0/2.1...

I did this and the card is now detected, but whenever I try and change resolutions, everything's all blue. :thumbsup_anim:

That's a rather old NVinject you are using, try 2.0/2.1...

Alright, I managed to grab a 8800GT gfx string from a REAL mac pro. I tweaked it removing the EDID of the original screen and audio properties from mac pro.

It fixed the bug where i need to wait like 20sec on a black screen to reboot... But still it won't reboot after waking up from sleep, but I guess that's a mobo problem since my friend can with his P5H DW.

Let me know how it goes for you, can't hurt anyway !

8800GTmacpro.zip

Alright, I managed to grab a 8800GT gfx string from a REAL mac pro. I tweaked it removing the EDID of the original screen and audio properties from mac pro.

It fixed the bug where i need to wait like 20sec on a black screen to reboot... But still it won't reboot after waking up from sleep, but I guess that's a mobo problem since my friend can with his P5H DW.

Let me know how it goes for you, can't hurt anyway !

8800GTmacpro.zip

The string works, thank you. However sleep still doesn't work on my Gigabyte P35-DS3R, I hoped the EFI string would fix it but it didn't, sleep stills shuts the computer down.

Thx anyway :P

I have question guys, but heres my set up first

Q6600 @ 2.4

BFG 8800 GT 512 MB

Gigabyte P35-DS3L

I have iATKOS (first version) and Kalyway 10.5.1

I already installed windows xp and vista on different partition. Then I installed leopard last on the 3rd last parittion(using iATKOS).

When I finished installing, I don't know why, but somehow it looks so sh!tty? is it because I didn't install the kexts for my 8800GT?

If so, should I update the OSX first to 10.5.2 since it came out and then install the drivers/kexts? Please let me know guys, thanks alot.

Also, i was thinking about reinstalling Leopard. Should I use the kaylway cd instead?

Install 10.5.2 and use NVinject or the gfx string I just posted with pcefi v8.

cyclone, the 10.5.2 is just an update right? or is there a different release that is 10.5.2?

also, the pcefiv8 you posted is labeled 8800gtmacpro.zip?