[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

Anyone else having playback issues of videos on Youtube? This is a first for me.

Nevermind, its the safari AdGuard Extension I was using. Disabled it and now its playing.

30 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Ok it seems like I do have to live with the Disk labelled Preboot at the boot menu :cry: for the time being.

It's a bug with Beta 3. Real Macs show EFI Boot instead of whatever you named your boot partition. Hopefully it will be fixed with future releases. :) 

• Thanks 1

I created the USB installer to update from beta 2 to beta 3 and updated OC and lilu, weg, virtualsmc and lan kexts in the USB EFI. I tried to run the installer and after the first reboot it’s being stuck at SMCSuperIO ssio: @ detected device ITE IT8620E. Does any of the colleagues know what could be wrong?

Spoiler

184BB45B-70DA-4A22-8F8D-06677E2E34D1.thumb.jpeg.b970166737119fc78c497f993d3c34be.jpeg

1 minute ago, jlrycm said:

I created the USB installer to update from beta 2 to beta 3 and updated OC and lilu, weg, virtualsmc and lan kexts in the USB EFI. I tried to run the installer and after the first reboot it’s being stuck at SMCSuperIO ssio: @ detected device ITE IT8620E. Does any of the colleagues know what could be wrong?

Have you tried re-adding vsmcgen=1?

If you want to upgrade from Beta 2 to Beta 3 you've got two options:

1. using the full installer

2. using the update package

However, in order to see the update, you need to enable security with csr-active-config = 00000000 and reset NVRAM.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

Hi jlrycm
I have the same motherboard, Catalina works with Clover, OC ok but no sound, I can live with that but I,m unable to boot in to BS, would please share you EFI. I have used Parrotgeek’s installer in my Macbp 8.3. Then moved the disk on my PC.
Thank you.

29 minutes ago, arsradu said:

However, in order to see the update, you need to enable security with csr-active-config = 00000000 and reset NVRAM.

@arsradu What is the correct size of Full Beta 3 ? I download it via crazybirdy's script: 11,9Go... instead of 9,6Go for Beta 2. This script download now only InstallAssistantPKG

Edited by Matgen84

34 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I tried this and still no update.

Spoiler

755067057_ScreenShot2020-07-23at3_38_22pm.png.1d95b43dc1d8bd32174ab8ae4e2d3534.png

1127442727_ScreenShot2020-07-23at3_38_39pm.png.990a1537bb57d5d3aed38331af448725.png

7 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

@arsradu What is the correct size of Full Beta 3 ? I download it via crazybirdy's script: 11,9Go... instead of 9,6Go for Beta 2. This script download now only InstallAssistantPKG

Yeah, that seems to be the correct size for Beta 3. And yes, Apple changed things a little bit with Big Sur so in order to get the app in your Applications folder, you need to use the InstallAssistantPKG. Personally I downloaded it directly from Software Update. But I think gibMacOS and other similar scripts should be able to do the same thing very easily.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Link to script please

As I said, I personally used the Software Updater. But here's the link for gibMacOS: https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS

And weird thing that it doesn't show up for you in Software Update...

Edit: sorry, I thought it was a reply to me lol. But I got notified because of the mention on the quote. Sorry, my bad. :D 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, arsradu said:

As I said, I personally used the Software Updater. But here's the link for gibMacOS: https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS

And weird thing that it doesn't show up for you in Software Update...

Edit: sorry, I thought it was a reply to me lol. But I got notified because of the mention on the quote. Sorry, my bad. :D 

Downloading now, just took time for some strange reason.

Spoiler

587765303_ScreenShot2020-07-23at4_09_07pm.png.e57d8dcab87e11b2f90f8645bbfc4b35.png

I can't believe the size increase.

Spoiler

1399213822_ScreenShot2020-07-23at4_14_14pm.png.709ddac7694185142eed07d514934c74.png

Edited by SavageAUS
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Moviemakergr said:

Desktop 10Gen > Preparing like Installing

Reveal hidden contents

Software_Update.jpg.64bf232a05f1f3e51ecef609423bf8fe.jpg

Laptop > Bigger  update (downloading complete installer and not a Update)

Reveal hidden contents

Software_UpdateL.jpg.717ac005cb596c6cc4479e4c766a9805.jpg

I can not understand how the apple engineers think about the upgrades .. :whistle:
Anyway, it was completed successfully on both machines, except for the renaming, but only in the bootloader, in the disk utill the same names remain.

I used it too the vsmcgen=1

1 hour ago, Donw35 said:

My system now shows the name of the drive in OC, no longer preboot 

did this happen to him alone?

After 2-3 reboot preboot it remains to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

I can not understand how the apple engineers think about the upgrades .. :whistle:
Anyway, it was completed successfully on both machines, except for the renaming, but only in the bootloader, in the disk utill the same names remain.

Mine goes to the boot name specified without any discrepancies.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

Mine also says "Preboot" right now. So far, no change. But, as I said before, this is probably also a bug on Apple side. So...I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mnfesq said:

TA-DA!!!!!Finder.thumb.jpg.13917d96216e601a40dae5f89e145314.jpg

Want to know what made Big Sur detect my internal drives?

Reveal hidden contents

I installed the VoodooI2C kexts -- VoodooI2C.zip

I have been having problems with my trackpad in Big Sur so I thought I would try the I2C kexts to see if that would help.  It didn't help my trackpad but it sure found my internal drives.  Interestingly, they are detected in disk utility as external drives.  Nonetheless, they are finally there.  Hope this works for the rest of you.

Hey @mnfesq, well done to you!

Could you walk us through how you achieved that? Which specific kexts from VoodooI2C are you using? Any plug-ins inside that specific kext as well?

Thanks!

• Like 1