TINU: The bootable macOS installer creation tool - Mac app

ITzTravelInTime
390 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

I have started tasing TINU with the new macOS Mojave beta, the app runs and seems to work, but It needs to be modified in order to create macOS Mojave usb installers, because apple ha decided to edit the createinstallmedia executable, which is basically what tinu uses to create usb installers

i just use thsi app to creat usb install with mojavo but failed.

6 hours ago, xtddd said:

i just use thsi app to creat usb install with mojavo but failed.

yes, that's because apple decided to change the "createinstallmedia" executable, that's why i am working on a patch for this app

174873721_Schermata2018-06-05alle22_49_50.png.4e1fafff24ab9e083822f480755e00f2.pnginteresting thing is that createinstallmedia can now download ondemand assets for installer apps which are a few magabytes, so new feature for tinu for a future release of this app but just for mac os 10.14 and newver versions

• Like 1

Ok i had some problems because of the testing phase, but here it is, tinu updated to create macOS Mojave installers:

Download the app: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases

source code:          https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/

Note that if you use it on  macOS Mojave beta and you try to create a macOS Mojave beta bootable installer it will ask you to install the xcode command line tools, and note that this is not caused by TINU, this is done by the "createinstallmedia", which is the executable that both TINU and the terminal method uses to create the bootable usb thumb drive

@xtddd try this new version

Edited by ITzTravelInTime
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

Ok i had some problems because of the testing phase, but here it is, tinu updatedto create macOS Mojave installers:

Download the app: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases

source code:          https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/

Note that if you use it on  macOS Mojave beta and you try to create a macOS Mojave beta bootable installer it will ask you to install the xcode command line tools, and note that this is not caused by TINU, this is done by the "createinstallmedia", which is the executable that both TINU and the terminal method uses to create the bootable usb thumb drive

@xtddd try this new version

thank your .great work.

just tested it and successful

Edited by xtddd
  • Like 2

Now on my macOS Mojave hakintosh, i am setting up my developer equipment to port the TINU source code to xCode 10 and also to add some new mojave-specific features and also some bugfix, i want to implement dark mode in tinu as well, because an app to support the new dark mode, needs to be compiled with the new xcode and sdk

• Like 1

i am working on a TINU version with black mode support for macOS Mojave and also with some bug fix for that version, so here is how the application does currently looks like in dark mode, there are still some bugs and glitches that I am trying to fix, and the new Xcode 10 is still quite buggy for some things2093248543_Schermata2018-06-07alle14_47_53.thumb.png.27c50d7ee10d9afc157e6db2eb99dbff.png1345709313_Schermata2018-06-07alle14_44_55.thumb.png.87ef3d85f1fa5f005b8dfff60ade1c9a.png1735008988_Schermata2018-06-07alle01_20_00.thumb.png.b04ddf0b7d6ed91d8186d7889a2a218c.png

Schermata 2018-06-07 alle 14.48.06.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can it let us download the Mojave from App Store without the need of enrolled developer account, or this will be not good idea since TINU will be uploaded to App Store?

2 hours ago, ammoune78 said:

Can it let us download the Mojave from App Store without the need of enrolled developer account, or this will be not good idea since TINU will be uploaded to App Store?

I will not include links for beta versions of mac, just for release versions 

• Like 2

I am creating a TINU 2.0.2 version which for you will be just a small bug fix and improvements version, with the addition of macOS mojave dark mode support, but it will have a whole reorganizzation of some of the code, i am working on it as a preparation work for TINU 3 and also for a future app store upload which will require me to work more professionally following the Mdel View Controller method for the code.

But debugging on macOS mojave beta is still very buggy, so i am working on macOS high sierra and then testing the code on macOS mojave.

As always i will keep you updated.

• Like 3

On 5/25/2018 at 3:10 AM, ITzTravelInTime said:

Based on what you have shown to me i took a look again into the code which detects if createinstallmedia has complited with success the operation, so i thougth that the way i wrote this code is not very efficient, so i will definally change that for tinu 3, with also more detailed and user friendly error screens, i already have some ideas about how to make it a lot better, but for tinu 2, i will just stick with that

for the new release 2.0.2 today i have rewrited today the code which detects if the createinstallmedia process has been complited with success, and now it's way more flexible than before, i am testing it and solving some small bugs for it, but it looks promissing and it's a more simple way if it's needed to change how to recognize for createinstallmedia errors in case apple will modify the oputput of this executable like they did with macOS mojave beta 1, and also i have removed a lot of code repetition which is always a good thing, because it's more simple to truble shoot

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 3:29 PM, ITzTravelInTime said:

for the new release 2.0.2 today i have rewrited today the code which detects if the createinstallmedia process has been complited with success, and now it's way more flexible than before, i am testing it and solving some small bugs for it, but it looks promissing and it's a more simple way if it's needed to change how to recognize for createinstallmedia errors in case apple will modify the oputput of this executable like they did with macOS mojave beta 1, and also i have removed a lot of code repetition which is always a good thing, because it's more simple to truble shoot

Thanks and great job :) when do you publish new release 2.0.2 on your repo?

1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

Thanks and great job :) when do you publish new release 2.0.2 on your repo?

When it's finished, i do not know when, but i am trying to improve it as much as i can before releasing it, and also i have to test it properly first, and i am also conidering to call it version 2.1 because of all the changes of the app's code and the huge improvement in macOS mojave compatibility

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

When it's finished, i do not know when, but i am trying to improve it as much as i can before releasing it, and also i have to test it properly first, and i am also conidering to call it version 2.1 because of all the changes of the app's code and the huge improvement in macOS mojave compatibility

Thanks for all your improvements :)

• Thanks 1

Ok, some news, i am working on the 2.1 release (i decided to not do the 2.02 release but to make a 2.1 release instead) so i the work on it is going and i think i can release it in 1 or 2 weeks.

And today i have also tryed the latest release, the 2.0.1 with mac os mojave beta 2 and it works like the first beta, so you cam copntinue to use the latest release without problems

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Guys, it has been some time since i wrote an upodate here, but that's because i am in vacation, but because of what a couple of users did found, i have created and tested (using my macbook) a new bugfix release for tinu 2.0, the version 2.0.2, the version that i have previously said was in the works is the 2.1 and it's still in the works (because there is a lot of stuff i am re-working for that new version), this new version, the 2.0.2, is just a bug fix of the 2.0.1 release.

But here are the usual links for it, download and enjoy it!

Downlaod: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases/

Scource code: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/

If you see any bugs in the app, please tell me and if possible provvide any material that could be helpfoul, like the log or the text in the terminal window, of the app running in diagnostics mode (for both a text file is preferred, instead of just copy pasting the text in the forum, to use the app in diagnostics mode: open the app, and then go to the menus bar and go to "TINU->Open TINU in diagnostics mode" then enter the administrator password and the application will be re-launched with a terminal windows which shows diagnostics messages of the application running, that will help me understing what is going on)

• Like 5

I am currently working on some extra tools to include inside of tinu, this is the first one which exists only as a paper sketch for now, do you have some suggestion for tools to embeed inside of tinu? those tools are sub-tools inside of tinu (there will be a tools menu into the menu bar) that you can use to do secondary things or extra things based on some fuctionality which is used by tinu to create the bootable usb installer, for example because tinu has an automatic format feature, one of the possible secondary tools could be a tool to format a drive in the correct format for usb installers without going into the tinu process (this example tool is not the tool i am desining in the image), and also secondary tools should be usefoul stuff, and not someting you can do easily with system applications.

One idea is to make a clover tool once i will have clover functionality inside of tinu, with the clover tool you can install clover, using the automated tinu clover install i am planning to do, whout making an usb installer from 0, so it's ideal for existing usb installers made your favorite method

IMG_7198.JPG

• Like 1

hi first of all thank you for your hard work.
your apps supported macos from 10.9 - 10.14.
can you consider old macos? some tools are not properly working for old mac os installer
i have a old mac(MAS).
10.6 have to directly restore dmg in diskutility
10.7 restore basesystem dmg and copy basesystem dmg and kernel in root and copy package folder in S/L/I
maybe 10.8 too.

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

9 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

hi first of all thank you for your hard work.
your apps supported macos from 10.9 - 10.14.
can you consider old macos? some tools are not properly working for old mac os installer
i have a old mac(MAS).
10.6 have to directly restore dmg in diskutility
10.7 restore basesystem dmg and copy basesystem dmg and kernel in root and copy package folder in S/L/I
maybe 10.8 too.

Tinu is based on the "createinstallmedia" executable by apple, which does support just 10.9 + and this app is made mostly to use the latest methods and to be future proof, and also it can run only on yosemite up to the latest versions of mac os because it's made in swift, and while swift is supported on mac os x 10.9 porting tinu to it it's not a big deal, it will require to re work some importnat stuff from 0

So I am sorry i can't support older versions of mac os, because supporting those will require to re-make the tool from 0 and also to not use apple's official method to create an install media, and tinu is made to use as many official apple stuff as possible.

But maybe i can make something or another tool using @gengik84's method or a modded version of it (or you can use just that method), but i can't in the near future because i need to work on tinu, stuff like the clover support for tinu on which i am working on, is very complicated, but i have finally figured out how to make simply most of the stuff i need for it.

• Like 1

Tinu is based on the "createinstallmedia" executable by apple, which does support just 10.9 + and this app is made mostly to use the latest methods and to be future proof, and also it can run only on yosemite up to the latest versions of mac os because it's made in swift, and while swift is supported on mac os x 10.9 porting tinu to it it's not a big deal, it will require to re work some importnat stuff from 0

So I am sorry i can't support older versions of mac os, because supporting those will require to re-make the tool from 0 and also to not use apple's official method to create an install media, and tinu is made to use as many official apple stuff as possible.

But maybe i can make something or another tool using [mention=1494412]gengik84[/mention]'s method or a modded version of it (or you can use just that method), but i can't in the near future because i need to work on tinu, stuff like the clover support for tinu on which i am working on, is very complicated, but i have finally figured out how to make simply most of the stuff i need for it.
i don't need to work tool for all old mac os.i found that known tools are not working in lastest macos. so i suggested it above.
now. it doesn't matter. most of people uses modern macos. sorry for my bad english. and thank you so much for support and tools

On 7/28/2018 at 1:15 PM, Sherlocks said:

i don't need to work tool for all old mac os.i found that known tools are not working in lastest macos. so i suggested it above.
now. it doesn't matter. most of people uses modern macos. sorry for my bad english. and thank you so much for support and tools

the problems with old versions installers, seems to came from mac os itself, which is no longer enableing to do that, or at least to do that easly, i have done some research about this topic and seems to be a restriction of the latest macOS versions for some particular restore operations.

Because now it's finished i can show you the new feature i was working on for tinu 2.1 an efi partition mounter!

I have created it because lots of users using tinu will also need that tool and also because i already had the code to mount and unmount the efi partiton embedded inise the app from the original 2.0 release, so i have tried to make a small subtool with a nice and clean UI, it's still under testing but eventually it will became a standalone tool in the future, for now it is part of tinu and it's under testing it will be accessible by using the tools tab into the menu bar.

here are some screen shots made on my macbook

Schermata 2018-07-30 alle 20.19.09.png

Schermata 2018-07-30 alle 20.19.06.png

Schermata 2018-07-30 alle 20.31.49.png

Schermata 2018-07-30 alle 20.18.47.png

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Finally some updates, i am working on tinu 2.1 and on my new app EFI Partition Mounter (which is the new efi partition mounter sub tool i am introducing in tinu 2.1, but as a standalone tool) and starting from today it has been 1 year since i started working on TINU, in fact the first code file i have made, the InfoviewController.swift file is dated august 24th 2017, so to celebrate that i have an announcement, i have finally managed to use system apis to do the authentication for tinu and for my new tool as well, i found a way to implement this easily by using apple script, but the problem now is that there is some code to re-work and also it may require to ask the password different times during the install media creation process, if you know any way to keep the authentication with multiple apple scripts let me know. and also for the clover part i have collected all the info i need to write the code and make it to work, inluding automatic download of the latest version of the clover installer, which is then used to install clover automatically by the app, using the settings choosen by the user to install clover.

But TINU 2.1 is almost ready and it's a whole reorganizement of the clode, making it more simple, efficient and modular, (this allowed me to pull out just what i need to make the EFI partition mounter available also as a standalone tool), and tinu also recived a lot of improvements and bug fixes too, including some UI modifications to improve the usability of the app.

That's all for now, just a post to update you and celebrate 1 year of tinu development.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Finally I am back to work with this app, I have implemented the new system for authentication, which needs some extra testing, and I have also implemented a new initial screen and I am also working on optimizing the maojave dark mode support

Schermata 2018-09-23 alle 11.29.38.png

Schermata 2018-09-23 alle 12.08.31.png

Edited by ITzTravelInTime
  • Like 6