TINU: The bootable macOS installer creation tool - Mac app

ITzTravelInTime
390 posts in this topic

Thanks for your program and your work in this utility.

Let me advise you a more pleasant visual changes.
An USB drive of 8 Gb or higer.

Both buttons go in the same place, centered.

Better a single phrase in the same row, without dividing.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-16 a las 20.43.46.png

123.jpg

Edited by WeBeRiO

1 hour ago, WeBeRiO said:

123.jpg

I have worked with a professional designer for the UI of tinu, my friend Francesco, which is one of the design teachers of the european ios developer academy, for the license thing i can agree with you, in fact that was a point with which i and Francesco where not too much happy about, fpr the proceed button i have put it side ways because we are in a desktop environment, so you have to give the impression of walking trougth a process and when it comes to desktop interfaces you have to think it a bit like in the 90' so we decided to put it sideways, but i will rediscuss this with Francesco next week if i can, because that screen has also a doule useage if you open tinu from terminal in the booted usb installer, there will be another screen first (i will say more on that later with the final release, but you can already try this if you want, it does also allows for another cool thing too)

• Like 2

New feature coming, i have decided to give also a little help if tinu can't find any usable installer app, in fact now there is a window with downloads of macOS installer apps from the mac app store

Schermata 2018-03-18 alle 02.14.39.png

Schermata 2018-03-18 alle 02.14.44.png

Edited by ITzTravelInTime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

New feature coming, i have decided to give also a little help if tinu can't find any usable installer app, in fact now there is a window with downloads of macOS installer apps from the mac app store

Schermata 2018-03-18 alle 02.14.39.png

Schermata 2018-03-18 alle 02.14.44.png

great...how to download? thank you

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xtddd said:

great...how to download? thank you

it just opens the app's page on the mac app store, there are working links to download older versions of the mac os installer from the app store, so after a quick googleing i got the links and the used them into the app, unfortunately working links are available up to el capitan and there are no working links for yosemite or older versions, at least from what i have tested and seen by searching, the only way to have older versions from the app store is now having them into the purchased apps of your apple id.

• Thanks 1

On 16/3/2018 at 8:51 PM, WeBeRiO said:

An USB drive of 8 Gb or higer.

123.jpg

I decided to add some of the changements you suggested at the end.

For all the others i have also updated the source code in the development branch of the TINU's github repo, so i suggest to take a look at it, i have added some things:

- the new window shown in a previous post which allows to download an installer app useing the app store

- if you use tinu to install mac os now you ahve also to agree to apple's macOS license, you have to do it after you have choosen an installer app to use.

- added tool tips for drives and installer apps in the screens in which you have to choose them (tool tips for the drives will have a couple of small improvements in the next source code update)

- fixed some potential issues with the progress bar in the installer creation screen

- minor improvements and changements

Here is the github repo if you want to take a look at the update source code: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/tree/development

Download of a compiled version will be available shortly.

Here is the download of the second pre-release: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nvzss51qcieynve/TINU.zip

changelog available in the previous post:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You made a beautiful piece of app, with a nice and clean work, an apple’s style, i really love it!
Thank you and i just have a suggestion please: If i already have the macOS installer, but i just want to make a different installer version of macOS, without the need of the actual one! Is it possible to have this option in the future updates?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ammoune78 said:

You made a beautiful piece of app, with a nice and clean work, an apple’s style, i really love it!
Thank you and i just have a suggestion please: If i already have the macOS installer, but i just want to make a different installer version of macOS, without the need of the actual one! Is it possible to have this option in the future updates?

Thanks

Please, can you explain better? Tinu currently does allows to use an usb installer to be used as a usb drive to create a new insterr or an installer with a different version, and also if you want to update your installer from 10.13.2 to 10.13.3 for example, you still need the mac os installer app for that version, you can't just install combo updates in an existing usb installer, you have to need the full installer app for that particular version of mac os, because tinu works using apple's createinstall media which is app-verion specific, so i have to use the executable from the installer app itself and it can't do combo updates or other stuff, just recreate the entire installer

Thanks for replying, currently the app doesn’t have the option to let you download the full OS Installer from the App Store in case that you have an installer on the Applications folder, so i have to delete it and relaunch the app again to be able to have this option!

In other words, it will not ask me if i want to download El Capitan if Sierra is in the applications folder!

Thanks

23 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Thanks for replying, currently the app doesn’t have the option to let you download the full OS Installer from the App Store in case that you have an installer on the Applications folder, so i have to delete it and relaunch the app again to be able to have this option!

In other words, it will not ask me if i want to download El Capitan if Sierra is in the applications folder!

Thanks

That's not how it is supposed to work the new window with app downloads has been created only if you not have any installer apps in your system and to give you a littele help getting one, it's not supposed to ask you which version you want and then give it to you, and also download are always from the mac app store, because it mey be illegal if i provvide to you a download for that apps which is not from the app store. but i can make something about what are you saying, to let you get an installer app from the beginning if do not have one or want an older version (by getting it from the app store), maybe i can make a "get an installer app" button or something like that into the requrements screen, but i have to discuss it with my friend who helps me with the design, as always i will keep you updated with the progress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

but i can make something about what are you saying, to let you get an installer app from the beginning if do not have one or want an older version (by getting it from the app store), maybe i can make a "get an installer app" button or something like that into the requrements screen, but i have to discuss it with my friend who helps me with the design, as always i will keep you updated with the progress.

Excuse me ITzTravelInTime, my English need work! Yes this is what i meant, if you can do it, an button or something like that "get an installer app", it will be amazing!

Really thanks :D :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi,

I test second pre-release successfully (I like notification when is finish). But this time, progress bar is full despite of the process isn't finish. See capture attached.

Capture d’écran 2018-03-19 à 11.26.42.png.zip

the process is not finished, the progress bar is in an indeterminate state, bacause it's waiting for the actual creation process to finish, and also there is a notification at the end of the process, but yes that progress bar looks too similar to a full progress bar, so i am considering doing something else, because when it goes into an indetermante state, i have no data to determinate the % of completetion of the process, so i have to use a system which indicates that something is going on but, not at which % it is, that why as first i have dcided to do an indeterminate progress bar, but that's just a comethical thing

• Like 1

Do you heve any other improvemets and suggestion for the app? Tomorrow  (related to italy time) i will work on the design so i will already work on the progress bar thing and if and how to add a "get an installer app" button to the requirements screen

• Like 1

I don't have any suggestion, it's because you touched al the things and your app is absolutely perfect, design and the work! I've made an USB Installer with your app, and what i can tell you is you did a very nice and clean job my MAN, keep up similar work, and we need more app from your beautiful hands! This is my personal comment, maybe some users have suggestions!

Cheers ITzTravelInTime :wink_anim: ^_^ :thumbsup_anim: !

• Like 1

Guest ricoc90
On 19-3-2018 at 1:40 PM, ITzTravelInTime said:

the process is not finished, the progress bar is in an indeterminate state, bacause it's waiting for the actual creation process to finish, and also there is a notification at the end of the process, but yes that progress bar looks too similar to a full progress bar, so i am considering doing something else, because when it goes into an indetermante state, i have no data to determinate the % of completetion of the process, so i have to use a system which indicates that something is going on but, not at which % it is, that why as first i have dcided to do an indeterminate progress bar, but that's just a comethical thing

How about just the spinner in case of Indeterminate state?

1 minute ago, ricoc90 said:

How about just the spinner in case of Indeterminate state?

yes, i was thinking exactly that, i have to discuss this tomorrow when i will meet my friend the designer, if you are curious i am going to spend a full day in the Italian Apple's IOS Developer Academy, to work on tinu (and i point out that tinu is not hackinsh specific) and also to try to craete something to try to partecipate to the apple's schoolarship for the WWDC, maybe i will also record a video for my yt chennel there, i just have a lot of stuff to do there tomorrw (always tomorrow related to italy time).

• Like 1

Guest ricoc90
3 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

yes, i was thinking exactly that, i have to discuss this tomorrow when i will meet my friend the designer, if you are curious i am going to spend a full day in the Italian Apple's IOS Developer Academy, to work on tinu (and i point out that tinu is not hackinsh specific) and also to try to craete something to try to partecipate to the apple's schoolarship for the WWDC, maybe i will also record a video for my yt chennel there, i just have a lot of stuff to do there tomorrw (always tomorrow related to italy time).

offtopic:

It's a good thing that the Netherlands and Italy sharing time, huh? :rofl:
I Would like to see a video. Must be awesome to be there :)

Just now, ricoc90 said:

offtopic:

It's a good thing that the Netherlands and Italy sharing time, huh? :rofl:
I Would like to see a video. Must be awesome to be there :)

i know that place quite well, i spent 1 year being an ios developer academy student and now i have ios delveloper academy's developer certification with a sign of Lisa Jackson (apple's vice president) on it, i will make something to let you see that place, maybe a vlog.

• Like 1

Here is an update about the design changements to the app, and note that it's still work in progress.

The 1ST screenshot shows that i have added a "get an installer app" button to the requrements screen of tinu, but i have to better implement it into the design of this interface, i will keep you updated about that

The 2ND screenshot shows how will appear the "choose an usb thumb drive" screen if no usable usb drives are detected

The 3RD screenshot shows how will appear the "choose an installer app" screen of the app when no usable installer apps are detected in the system, compared to the previous screenshot i have redesigned the screen to make it like the previous one and i have also added a bigger button to open an installer app from a custom location, but when installer apps are detetced, this button will be smaller and in the center of the window , aligned with other buttons in the bottom of the window.

The 4TH screenshow shows that now the "download a macOS installer app fom the app store" window now is a dialog window which appers as a sheet from the main window and also some text has been changed

For the progress bar thing i am still working on it, but i have to finish some other ui things first.

Schermata 2018-03-22 alle 02.18.36.png

Schermata 2018-03-22 alle 02.17.09.png

Schermata 2018-03-22 alle 02.22.02.png

Schermata 2018-03-22 alle 02.35.55.png

• Like 2

Because tomorrow i have a free morning i will do a late nigth coding session, with:

- A design sketch of a new screen of the app

- My 2 brand new usb drives for cavias to test with TINU

- The usb-A adapter for my macbook

- My macbook pro 2017 15'' (i prefer it over laptop hackintoshes because i need that mac os works well and also with all the features, and with a long battery life, and i have also got it with an huge discount ove rthe official apple's price, of course i have several hackintosh machines, but my macbook is more confortable for some kind of works like using xcode, while my hackintosh machines are great for exaple for recording and video editing, i make a combined use of both)

- A pen to make other Sketches, as always made peper sketces first before working on the actual app

- And a cup with my logo on it to drink during the nigth

I will finish some redesign of a couple of screens and also i will try to implement a brand new screen.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

• Like 6

Guys I have created an High Sierra installer using Tinu on the pen drive. When i boot from usb installer recovery is in italian. I changed the language to english but when it finishes install mac on hdd some of the stuff is still in italian.

When there is an update on app store it boots to this screen where it says 18 9r x mins remain that screen has text in italian.

Do you know why installer default language is italian?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, ronaldo9_r9 said:

Guys I have created an High Sierra installer using Tinu on the pen drive. When i boot from usb installer recovery is in italian. I changed the language to english but when it finishes install mac on hdd some of the stuff is still in italian.

When there is an update on app store it boots to this screen where it says 18 9r x mins remain that screen has text in italian.

Do you know why installer default language is italian?

this is very strange, because tinu did not uses anything to force a specific language for the installer, maybe you have to check your clover options to make sure that into the gui settings the langue is not "it" and instead is your langue or it's blank

• Like 1

Language is definitely blank. I have to keep changing language to english in installer. When new update comes it just changes back to italian for some of the things in launchpad. Folder other text changes to Altro or something and i had rename that. In finder tags are in italian.

Maybe i need to create an installer again.

How can I avoid this?

a71a20bbe0834f259d4624375d64ef68.jpg&key=35c78c42eb133f44ea5a0c2e605b88455088f80856700b8e9a100f7e9e2c4e06

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk