TINU: The bootable macOS installer creation tool - Mac app

ITzTravelInTime
390 posts in this topic

The development brach on github has been updated with the new BETA, the name of this new version is version 3.0 BETA 1, there are some screenshots attached with some of the changes and also a copy of the app for you to try

The source code is available here: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/tree/development

391891847_Schermata2019-12-16alle13_26_39.thumb.png.ff1f8e00c33ed37f65ab2abc62b88dc4.png1899746989_Schermata2019-12-16alle13_27_20.thumb.png.7d4bc4755260d8f951d15131d2bb21c4.png1291267741_Schermata2019-12-16alle13_28_44.thumb.png.a46fce0c05d368cebd0d8a8e8c418f58.png1321067396_Schermata2019-12-16alle13_33_47.thumb.png.336b5993148fa28e204c9185140cbf69.png

TINU.app.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had to hit the back button like 10 times before it actually went back, is there anyway also to add macOS Catalina to this menu as well, im installing xcode 11.3 if you would like my help i have never used xcode but i have coded with visual basic before.

1100340061_GetanInstaller.png.38755f9263d51835305548f35c745912.png

2 minutes ago, killernos said:

I had to hit the back button like 10 times before it actually went back, is there anyway also to add macOS Catalina to this menu as well, im installing xcode 11.3 if you would like my help i have never used xcode but i have coded with visual basic before.

1100340061_GetanInstaller.png.38755f9263d51835305548f35c745912.png

Oddly i never had this issue with my machines, and tinu does compile only on xcode 10.2 as now, but adding catalina and checking out your issue is nothing difficoult to me, at least catalina will be addressed in the next beta

Which mac os version are you running btw?

Edited by ITzTravelInTime

52 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

Oddly i never had this issue with my machines, and tinu does compile only on xcode 10.2 as now, but adding catalina and checking out your issue is nothing difficoult to me, at least catalina will be addressed in the next beta

Which mac os version are you running btw?

i am running 10.15.2 hackintosh

I can't believe it took me this long to find a decent tool that actually works and now I can leave the dreaded TM and the beast thing behind.  I never want to hear pre-post uni, multi or anything tm related.

Of course I just created my install usb now hopefully it actually works.

****  Edit **** 

Just finished creating the OSX  Installer and it does not boot, so I need to do some more reading or perhaps I missed something along the way 

Edited by MontrealMacGuy

Just used 3.0 BETA to create new sticks for MJ and CT...

Works great...

Since I don't use the "Advanced Options" I just copied over my EFI-Folder manually to the EFI-Partition.

Thanks for the great work, mate... :thumbsup_anim:

On 12/21/2019 at 6:22 AM, MontrealMacGuy said:

I can't believe it took me this long to find a decent tool that actually works and now I can leave the dreaded TM and the beast thing behind.  I never want to hear pre-post uni, multi or anything tm related.

Of course I just created my install usb now hopefully it actually works.

****  Edit **** 

Just finished creating the OSX  Installer and it does not boot, so I need to do some more reading or perhaps I missed something along the way 

Tinu just creates a basic installer without the bootloader and so without what's needed to let it boot on a non mac machine, this is entirely left to the user because outside the scope of the tool, but this forum is a great place to find information and help to do things like that, just ask for help setting up the bootloader from scratch for your usb installer

1 hour ago, al6042 said:

Just used 3.0 BETA to create new sticks for MJ and CT...

Works great...

Since I don't use the "Advanced Options" I just copied over my EFI-Folder manually to the EFI-Partition.

Thanks for the great work, mate... :thumbsup_anim:

I have added open core efi folder support in that, you will see it in beta 2

• Like 2

New beta 2 guys.

Changelog:

• Added catalina to the app downloads
  • Reviewed the "Advanced options" window which is now called "Options"
  • Added Open Core EFI folder support for the EFI folder installer (and made some ground work in case of future bootloaders being supported as well)
  • Fixed an important bug reguirding the instal;ler creation process being stopped suddenly
  • The boot files replacement menu of the advanced options has been disabled and it will be complitely removed in a future beta
  • Updated and reviwed macros and compiler conditions used
  • Removed linkage to unused librabries
  • Added to do file to the source code, just use it to keep track of stuff to do when working on the project, this file has no code in it

you can get it directly from github now, since all new betas will be uploaded on github from now on https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases/tag/3.0_BETA_(68)

• 4 months later...

Hello @ITzTravelInTime

I use the BOOT Partition of a USB Stick as git Repository where I develop my OpenCore build. Since the whole git history is stored in the .git folder it get very big by time ( mine is 1,2gb big ). Is it possible to add an advanced Option to configure the size of the Boot Partition ( or at least an checkbox that  sets the size of the BOOT Partition to 4gb ) ?

Thx

Matt

3 hours ago, MSzturc said:

Hello @ITzTravelInTime

I use the BOOT Partition of a USB Stick as git Repository where I develop my OpenCore build. Since the whole git history is stored in the .git folder it get very big by time ( mine is 1,2gb big ). Is it possible to add an advanced Option to configure the size of the Boot Partition ( or at least an checkbox that  sets the size of the BOOT Partition to 4gb ) ?

Thx

Matt

Do you mean the size of the EFI partition? I am sorry but i can't control that, it's stanadard and it's part of the guid specification and it's set to 200mb, to format boot disks in tinu i just use one diskutil command which formats the whole disk in hfs+ with the guid partition table, i think you can have a better experience by just using your open core build on a fat 32 formatted usb drive using the mbr partion table so you can access always your booloader without using mounting tools and you have as much space as you want and you can still boot out of it in uefi since all uefi needs to boot is a primary fat 32 partition and the boot file into the /EFI/BOOT folder.

btw you can't just make a fat 32 and an hfs+ partition on the same mbr drive and call it guid, guid is very different from the way mbr operates.

12 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

Do you mean the size of the EFI partition? I am sorry but i can't control that, it's stanadard and it's part of the guid specification and it's set to 200mb, to format boot disks in tinu i just use one diskutil command which formats the whole disk in hfs+ with the guid partition table, i think you can have a better experience by just using your open core build on a fat 32 formatted usb drive using the mbr partion table so you can access always your booloader without using mounting tools and you have as much space as you want and you can still boot out of it in uefi since all uefi needs to boot is a primary fat 32 partition and the boot file into the /EFI/BOOT folder.

btw you can't just make a fat 32 and an hfs+ partition on the same mbr drive and call it guid, guid is very different from the way mbr operates.

Yeah the EFI Partition. 

I've created an USB Stick which looks as following with a modified gibMacOS Version:

image.thumb.png.c2c5f5ab68facdf5a517563f18f548cd.png

The modification was pretty simple ( in Makeinstall.py )

image.png.24bf59e1d60d539f5e8ed4f74294b432.png

there is a property which could be increased to 2000 for 2 gb. It works for MBR and GPT, tested both. 

But since im looking for abandon Windows based systems it would be cool to have a working solution to format an usb Stick without fiddling around inside MacOS

• 1 month later...

Guys, some news: TINU is getting updated for big sur and to address all the catalina issues, the code is done but it needs extensive testing on catalina and big sur first, because i suspect that it will not run on big sur at all, some new features have been added, which allows the app to work on catalina despite the SIP bug and it will also prompt for the password just one tine only

Here is the new version of TINU, updated to support better catalina and big sur and also to solve some of the issues you had:

https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/releases/tag/3.0_BETA_3_(70)

EDIT: if it doesn't open the app or the terminal after the password prompt try to moove the app to your desktop first, open it, and it should work

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i am thinking about new features for the app, i have some ideas i will post later, but what are your ideas for this app?

I can't do windows or linux versions, this app is based entirely on macOS/os x features. For issues with the app please open an issue thread on gitgub here: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/issues

Any ui/ux design suggestion is welcome.

Just to keep you updated i am now updating the development branch of the TINU repo more frequently, so if you want to see what i am working on check it out:

https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/tree/development

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE: i am adding support for drives without mounted partitions, but it will take some time to develop, other news i am working on redesigning the installer app download menu, i have also changed some icons and the way how some icons are identifyed, so for example tinu will now identify drives with a more generic icon rather than using the icon from the first mounted partition found in the drive.

Those changes require some time since there is lots of code to dig trought, but i am also focusing on remooving unecessary complications out of the code and bugs.

About the "implossible to use diagnostics mode" messange i was thinking about just warning the user about disasbling sip or either tell him to switch to diagnostics mode and how to avoid that error.

• Like 1

Update: I re-worked some of the system wich manages the progress bar for the installer creation process and the timing for that progressbar, i am still fine tuning the values but this will make more accurate the time-related numbers in the log and the time-related updating of the progressbar, this was on my list for some time and i am happy to finally having worked on this, i also simplied this time-related code a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

About the upcoming beta 4 i am laying down some groundwork for localization and i am starting to do that by remooving a bunch of hardcoded ui-related strings from the app's code and mooving them to external .json files located into the app's bundle, this will make ui management somewhat easyer since there is no longer the need to mess with the code and also since the ui stuff will be located into external files it will be easily editable and so new languages can be added even without using xcode.

This stuff is in very early stages now and still doesn't work for a bunch of reasons (like the app being compiled just to target english and also the fact that the vast mojority of the ui stuff isn't implemented via json files but rather in the storyboards or via hardcoded stuff) of course this will change and i'd really like to give you a version of the app featuring other langues support in the future (and for that i will need some people to take care of the translation).

To take a look you can see what i have done in the latest commit on github in the development branch https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/TINU/tree/development

About the github repo should i commit my latest work to the main branch or just keep using the development branch for that? and so leaving the main branch for release code only?

• 3 weeks later...

Little update: TINU 3.0 BETA 4 will come as soon as i finish with the implementation of some stuff in the meanwhile there is a new big feature which i have been working since early august i want oto talk you about, which is having the app in different languages.

For now i am still implementing, the system that makes it possible, for all the screens of the app, but i am working on an experiemntal italian translation to test the system, the app is now able to detect your system language and if it's supported, it will switch automatically to it.

Here are some demostrative screenshots of the app in italian:

Spoiler

1988070513_Schermata2020-09-23alle23_57_54.thumb.png.d16bda03083b0f65a44d2db71e672137.png10206863_Schermata2020-09-12alle18_40_17.thumb.png.0b9c58dcf0bc85ba180b9e77d6b2397b.png

Once the multiple language system is fully implemented i will look for people to translate the app in the most deffused languages around the world, for those who are interested, you can start to PM me or preferably join the telegram group (https://t.me/TINUBetaTesting), i will be looking for volounteers (and i won't be able to pay anyone since this project is done entirely for free in my spre time and i don't even accept donations for now), those people should have: A good knowladge and understanding of english, experience working with xcode (being able to compile, debug and work on swift apps for macOS), knowladge of serialization formats like json and plist/xml, an excellent knowladge of the grammar and spelling of the language they are interested in translating the app to (i will be mostly looking for native speackers) and being open to collaboration and frequent dialog with me.

I hope to get the app translated into those langauges:

- Spanish

- Franch

- German (i have some people from hackintosh-forum.de already willing to help with that)

- Russian

I would like to get the app translated in other languages, like the ones listed above, but those could require some re-implementation or mod to the current implementation of multiple languages in the app, and maybe some re-work of the app's UI.

- Simplified chinese

- Japanese

- Korean

You can also join the TINU group on telegram if you are interested in helping with beta testing and translations (https://t.me/TINUBetaTesting)

About the translations, the log it will be kept in english since i have to be able to understand it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, naiclub said:

Can I translate into Thai?

Join the telegram group, i want to see if you can do it, i have listed some requirements for people willing to help me in my previous post and so even if you don't meet all the criteria i would like to see if you know enought of what's really needed

• Haha 1