TINU: The bootable macOS installer creation tool - Mac app

ITzTravelInTime
390 posts in this topic

great work my friend very easy to use

i was wondering if it is possible some how that within TINU that we can chose the file system to install (HFS+ or APFS)

because with sierra and up and if you have SSD it will install with APFS file system.

and for me i like to use the HFS+ file system or if there is a way to do that

thanks

3 minutes ago, newsman1 said:

great work my friend very easy to use

i was wondering if it is possible some how that within TINU that we can chose the file system to install (HFS+ or APFS)

because with sierra and up and if you have SSD it will install with APFS file system.

and for me i like to use the HFS+ file system or if there is a way to do that

thanks

you cannot choose which file system will install the bootable usb drive you create, because tinu uses just the command line method to create usb drive and that method does not allows to chosse if eneble or not the automatic apfs convert in the usb installer, but you have several ways to do avoid that, first of all there is an option in tinu 2 which is enabled by default which creates a copy of tinu inside the usb installer, and after you have booted into the installer you can open tinu using the terminal with the following command: "/Volumes/Image Volume/TINU.app/Contents/TINU" . when tinu is opened you can use it to install mac os and inside the advanced options you find also an option to disable the automatic apfs upgrade, the other method is to use the unsolid kext, which is a kext that lets macOS to belive that you are not installing on an ssd, so it will not upgrade to apfs.

For all of you guys remember that if you open tinu from the booted installer you can use it to install macOS without apfs upgrade

• Like 3

but after the installation is done and high Sierra is up and running is it still see my SSD drive as Reg Hard drive or it will recognized as SSD drive.

and do I need to put the UnSolid.kext in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. in the SSD drive.

Thanks,

The kext is only used for the install process... 

You don't have to use it on the EFI-Partition of the SSD afterwards...

The SSD will be shown as SSD.

4 hours ago, al6042 said:

There is also the option to use the Unsolid.kext to prevent the APFS filesystem on SSDs.

This kext was created by @Brumbaer and works like a charm.

i have also suggested the unsolid kext in my post and it's probably the most simplay way to avoid the apfs conversion on a hackintosh

• Like 1

Hey ItzTravelInTime! I've just found now that TINU require 8Gb USB and no less, even if 7Gb, in my case i create two partitions one for the installer (macOS) and the second for apps and files required after the installation. Now if i have 8Gb USB Stick I create partition 1 with 6,50 Gb and partition 2 with 1,20 Gb. But TINU doesn't see the partition, can you do something please?

Edited by ammoune78

I've found another issue, TINU create USB installer but when i boot from it doesn't see the "boot from Install macOS High Sierra", i just tried it two times but same result!

Edited by ammoune78

23 hours ago, al6042 said:

The kext is only used for the install process... 

You don't have to use it on the EFI-Partition of the SSD afterwards...

The SSD will be shown as SSD.

Thank you very much my freind that's answer all my qustions

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

I think it's not related to TINU because same thing with install media command from terminal!

So is there a trick for this 10.13.4 Installer to be detected by clover Boot Menu or i'm doing something wrong :(:whistle:

3 hours ago, ammoune78 said:

Hey ItzTravelInTime! I've just found now that TINU require 8Gb USB and no less, even if 7Gb, in my case i create two partitions one for the installer (macOS) and the second for apps and files required after the installation. Now if i have 8Gb USB Stick I create partition 1 with 6,50 Gb and partition 2 with 1,20 Gb. But TINU doesn't see the partition, can you do something please?

tinu does detects only partitions which can be used with an install media, so at least 8 gb, if it's not shown it's because it's not usable with tinu

28 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

I think it's not related to TINU because same thing with install media command from terminal!

So is there a trick for this 10.13.4 Installer to be detected by clover Boot Menu or i'm doing something wrong :(:whistle:

tinu uses the command line method, probably it can be solved via a future clover update which will support this new frmat of installers, but at the time being you can solve this issue by creating a .IABootFiles folder and you have to put inside of it all the files inside the system folders in the usb key, so you should end up with something like this which should solve the issues at least in my case it did.

Schermata 2018-04-04 alle 20.38.51.png

• Like 1

Reagrding what is happening with macOS 10.13.4 and the usb installers not detected, i have added a new advamced setting to tinu, which is enabled by default if you want to create a bootable usb installer of macOS 10.13.4 and does the procedure i described in the previous post, it creares an .IABootFiles folder and the it copyes all the system files from the usb installer inside the .IABootFiles Folder, a temporary solution which helps until the clover team adds support for 10.13.4 installers, when this support will be added to the latest clover, i will no longer make it enabled by default when such support is added, now this feature is in testing, i will let you know how is it going

Edited by ITzTravelInTime
  • Like 1

so, after some thuble shooting the new advanced option works, maybe i can consider tinu as the first mac os installer creation tool which has the 10.13.4 support in it

And i have also fixed a bug hich was introduced in the pre-release 2 of tinu 2.0 which i have discovered only now

Edited by ITzTravelInTime
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

so, after some thuble shooting the new advanced option works, maybe i can consider tinu as the first mac os installer creation tool which has the 10.13.4 support in it

And i have also fixed a bug hich was introduced in the pre-release 2 of tinu 2.0 which i have discovered only now

Where I can find new pre-release of Tinu 2.0. Thanks

Just now, Matgen84 said:

Where I can find new pre-release of Tinu 2.0. Thanks

look at the orevious posts, i have created one with links to download the app and the source code, but a new one is coming shortly

• Like 1

As far as I know, the removal of the file ".IAPhysicalMedia" should be sufficient.

The following lines from the Clover Sourcecode (loader.c) should explain it:

// Use standard location for boot.efi, unless the file /.IAPhysicalMedia is present
// That file indentifies a 2nd-stage Install Media, so when present, skip standard path to avoid entry duplication

if (StriCmp(CustomPath, MACOSX_LOADER_PATH) == 0 && FileExists(Volume->RootDir, L"\\.IAPhysicalMedia")) {
DBG("skipped standard OSX path because volume is 2nd stage Install Media\n");
continue;
}

43 minutes ago, al6042 said:

As far as I know, the removal of the file ".IAPhysicalMedia" should be sufficient.

The following lines from the Clover Sourcecode (loader.c) should explain it:

if (StriCmp(CustomPath, MACOSX_LOADER_PATH) == 0 && FileExists(Volume->RootDir, L"\\.IAPhysicalMedia")) {
DBG("skipped standard OSX path because volume is 2nd stage Install Media\n");
continue;
}

ok, i will test this, but i will also keep the option to create the .IABootFiles folder but i will make it disabled by default and i will make another option to remove .IAPhysicalMedia that will be enabled by default, i do this to also leave more freedom to the users to choose a way to fix, but clover team should allow the usb drive to be detected if there is the .IAPhisicalMedia file and not the .IABootFiles folder, to let the "vanilla" usb installer to be detected, or am i wrong?

• Like 1

Just now, al6042 said:

I just create a new Install Stick with TinU (Public) and then try to just rename the file and/or the folder to verify.

i tried moving the .IAPhisicalMedia file to another location in a usb installer created with TINU and it's detected by clover and correctly booted, so i can say that removing or moving it works, maybe i will remove it in the code i am going to write for the app

• Like 2

Just finished my test, but didn't had to rename or move the hidden file at all.

The unmodified install stick was found by the original MBP which I currently use on holiday.

Adding Clover in Version 4423, without changing the hidden file, showed the Installer in the Clover bootmenu also.

That means, that you shouldn't have to do anything, since the newest Clover sources seems to tackle the already known issue.

HS10.13.4-Installer1.png

16 minutes ago, al6042 said:

Just finished my test, but didn't had to rename or move the hidden file at all.

The unmodified install stick was found by the original MBP which I currently use on holiday.

Adding Clover in Version 4423, without changing the hidden file, showed the Installer in the Clover bootmenu also.

That means, that you shouldn't have to do anything, since the newest Clover sources seems to tackle the already known issue.

HS10.13.4-Installer1.png

ok, but i will kepp the 2 options in tinu beause i have already created them, but i will leave them disabled by default and i will just tell to folks using tinu to just upgrade their clover version, thank you very much for your help