JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 ONLY DVD Install discussion

Meltro

551 posts in this topic

has anyone figured out how to boot without the dvd? thats all thats not working for me

Simon, if you look back in the thread, near the middle, JaS addresses this issue:

If you have an issue with needing the dvd to boot,its because you installed 10.4.8 on to a second partition on the same drive you already have OSX installed on,and its making the partition active that DOES not load the darwin bootloader,fix it by A)installing from the dvd onto your first partition or :gun: using the dvd to bless your original os x install and using the darwin bootloader to pickt hat partition.

Ive been following this thread for a bit now just have a question.

How come some users eg sbeehre say that they have installed from the Jas 1.4.8 DVD. While others are all complaining that the image is corrupt and md5 hashes are incorrect.

Have a few lucky people got valid images ?

I have mainly just been keeping my mouth shut and practicing literacy. I try not to ask a buttload of useless questions and clog the forums up with useless {censored}. This leads me to the next bit.

I have been doing my best to keep up with all the happenings about the release of the new DVD and the retraction of the torrent and so on. This a bit difficult due to the sheer number of posts and that it seems tp be spread out through several threads. So far, I understand that somehow corruption managed to happen along the way during the sharing of the iso, but it seems plausible that not everyone had gotten the corrupted image.

Now that leaves me with a couple questions...

Is there an MD5 available for a what a good image should be so we can check our images?

Is it possible to repair the corrupted image?

Would it be better to just hang back a bit longer and wait for the next DVD?

With that, I leave my warmest regards to all those who made this happen and with out you, none of this would ever have been possible. This is my official thank you to you all.

Hi All, just one quick question. please don't mind me if this beeb discuss before.

the question is regarding partition theme. which one should we use for hackint0sh?

1. FDISK

2. GUID

3. Apple

i know that disk utility will automatic erase with FDISK_Partition theme

GUID_Partition doesn't seems to be readable by boot loader

and i never try Apple.

p.s. tried erase disk through terminal with: diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ JaS10.4.8 GPTFormat disk0

will create EFI volume (no mount point) and of course JaS10.4.8

Hi All, just one quick question. please don't mind me if this beeb discuss before.

the question is regarding partition theme. which one should we use for hackint0sh?

1. FDISK

2. GUID

3. Apple

i know that disk utility will automatic erase with FDISK_Partition theme

GUID_Partition doesn't seems to be readable by boot loader

and i never try Apple.

p.s. tried erase disk through terminal with: diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ JaS10.4.8 GPTFormat disk0

will create EFI volume (no mount point) and of course JaS10.4.8

Should be of type af, I believe.

MBR I think, that's what my drives all are. Once in OS X you can read apple partition maps (I'm pretty sure) but I'm not sure if you can boot from them. My boot drives have alwasy been MBR.

Oink is going to be a hassle for a lot people without accounts (or invites).

I have an idea. I don't know if it can be put into practise. One of us with a very good internet connection could start a private tracker. A friend of mine did, in order to spread the commercial SUSE editions.

Not everyone has access to usenet, or means to pay for access to it.

Not the point though. At least it would allow the (re)release to get out there cleanly amongst quite a few people at which point it could be bolstered by torrent.

I second the Usenet release, would save a lot of headaches very quickly.

Not the point though. At least it would allow the (re)release to get out there cleanly amongst quite a few people at which point it could be bolstered by torrent.

I second the Usenet release, would save a lot of headaches very quickly.

i agree, Usenet to a few experience tester and if everything clear than upload to torrent. at least by that time we start with 3+ seeders not 1

As for usenet, why not use PAR or PAR2.

JaS could generate these from his "known good" ISO, and everyone could then use these for correcting their ISO's.

Shouldn't take long, and would be a much smaller work/upload for him.

If it is only 50MB of corruption or so, not much more would be needed in PAR-files..

Just an idea, rather than uploading everything again.

I am very much confused now... after installation from Jas DVD the system profiler says

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.7 (8J2135)

Kernel Version: Darwin 8.8.1

Why is it not the 10.4.8???

And I finally realized my problem with the network.

It does not recognize the DSL modem from the ethernet anymore, only via USB...

I was at 10.4.6 and updated using this package on my Inspiron 1705. The worst side effect was that I lost my ethernet - darn it. I had gotten .6 working almost perfectly except for sound!

Has anyone seen this? en0 just dosnt even show up in the network panel at all. The interesting thing is that profile does show an internal ethernet device! Is there a way to try and bring up that ethnet device from the command line - then i might be able to see what the error is... I hate to go back to .6 because my dual core seems to be working!