JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 ONLY DVD Install discussion

Meltro

551 posts in this topic

Ok, I could install 10.4.8 (new kernel) disabling the USB SoundBlaster package. Here's my results:

Mifki's Kernel

No Sound

No Lan

No Core Image and Quartz Extreme

Recognizes my GMA950 (All resolutions)

Rosetta (amazing) Now Office starts in 3 or 4 seconds and Photoshop CS in 9 seconds.

Processor: Core 2 Duo recognizes Intel® Core2 CPU 6300 4 GHz

About This Mac works fine

No iCal (corrupted)

FireWire: Works

I don't know if I have HPET. BIOS doesn't show the option.

This is my System:

Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU 6300

Mainboard: Intel D945GCL

HDD: SATA 80 Gb

Ram: 1 Gb - DDR2

DVD: Samsung RW

FireWire (Via Chip)

Since this is just a test and I dont have CI/QE and OpenGL working properly, there's no XBench for now.

Tavo.

The thing is I can't get around this problem. No other version I have, the 10.4.7 HotISO or my original 10.4.5 DVDs will not boot past the first 2 lines it just reboots+. 10.4.8 DVD boots for 40sec then gives me the small no sign in the top of the Apple logo. I think I'm going to have to download the fixed version of 10.4.8.

Is this a Conroe 6600 issue? I have the same problem on the ASrock 945G DVI and the Asus P5L-VM 1394. Both brand new boards...the same exact problem :spam:

I installed.

When booting up I get "Error loading Operating System"

If Install DVD is in drive then it loads into OS if I do not click any buttons

I tried installing the x1600 drivers "Radeon.X1600.Support.pkg"

Which worked perfectly in 10.4.7 but here it did NOTHING

The new Borisbadenov v3.5 worked perfectly for my video card.

Asus eax1600xt silent

Oh well - time to download the new version of 10.4.8 when it comes out

Is this a Conroe 6600 issue? I have the same problem on the ASrock 945G DVI and the Asus P5L-VM 1394. Both brand new boards...the same exact problem :)

I'm thinking it could be an issue like that. I have a Asus p5n32 SLI SE. I went from a P5ND2-SLI board with P4 805D which ran 10.4.5 updated to 10.4.8 to this new setup and now I it doesn't work. I'm tempted to put my old P4 3.73 CPU and try it to see what happens with the the other versions of OSX.

Hey all,

Just got 10.4.8 installed. Used the .6 DVD's Disk Utility to erase/format my HDD, then used the semthex patch. Installed fine, most apps run fine (not iCal, but I don't use it anyway), but the system just seems a little slower than 10.4.6.

Everything still supported ( eMachines + Apple = Excellent! ), and my CPU is even recognized correctly in About This Mac. Strangely enough, my xbench was about 40 over the results in .6, but I still think it's lagging a bit.

Anyway, great job JaS.

Nd

I downloaded this the other day so I'd have it when the ppf patches come out. How do I know if I got a corrupted version or not?... This dvd has disappeared from the demon.

Should I just delete it and download a full dvd again later?

just today, a guy name asapreta posted what he claimed that the patched version of JaS 10.4.8 on green demon, and when I let previous download on my HD and start this new one, suddenly it start at 30% after scraping. Anyone can confirm which version is this ?

just today, a guy name asapreta posted what he claimed that the patched version of JaS 10.4.8 on green demon, and when I let previous download on my HD and start this new one, suddenly it start at 30% after scraping. Anyone can confirm which version is this ?

That's really strange. Mine did the same thing so I deleted the old torrent and the data from it and let it start anew. I'll know if it's bad or not later tonight, hopefully.

i have a question. does this new 10.4.8 dvd have a working disk utility that will be able to format and set active the mac partition? anyone has any idea on that?

another question, should i install only one kernel or both semthex and mifki one? i see that there are two choices from the other threads...

thanks in advance, you guys rawk!!! thanks jas, semthex, and the rest pf the tireless crew for this great release...

I can't get my network to work.

The IP address is assigned automaticly with DHCP, but internet access wont come up, it works like this way perfect on 10.4.7, is there something changed with drivers ?

gave the senthex kernel a whirl, got the oft-reported "About This Mac" not working. networking also is having issues...it detects the wired ports (onboard dual gigabit Marvell 88E8053) but doesn't detect the onboard wifi (ASUS Wi-Fi AP Solo reported as RealTek RTL8187, didn't work in 10.4.7 either, not a big deal) and the wired ports that I use....don't function, I guess. assigning static IPs does not work and DHCP assigns some random address (obviously not assigned by the router as I've set it to assign only certain addresses through DHCP) which doesn't work either. i'll try mifki's kernel if/when i get a chance. good work on this, everybody.

Yeah I got that prob too...

Already a fix for that ?

10.4.7 worked nice with it...

There have been posts saying that the disk utility on the 10.4.8 disc doesn't work too well. So if possible, use the 10.4.6 or .7 DVD's utility.

When I installed it, the details for the semthex and mifki patches said that semthex is if you actually have SSE3, and mifki is if you have SSE2 only.

Hope this helps,

Nd

I had some strange Network issues as well..i got a 88E8050 chip ans even when i did change the entrys in the plist file of IONetworking.kext the light went green but i couldnt get a website ..so i put my old 10.4.7 IONetworking.kext in place ..cleared kextcache and rebooted after that Network worked as before.

I AM having a strange problem, but not too annoying :hysterical:

My clock won't keep the time. I have it set to update from the inet automatically, but the flashing dots seem to be a second off, and the time itself is 4 hours off! I've set it manually and still won't work, very strange...

Nd

hi, could you list the bugs of the first iso from jas?

I have it running well and already fixed "About this Mac" and iCal bugs and I erased partition with .6 version, but which are the other bugs from this corrupted release? If they are so few, i can keep that iso or wait for a new release.

bye.

I was following the IRC and they advised NOT to do this. You may have corrupted the seed. The previous 10.4.8 download was corrupt and should be deleted.

I AM having a strange problem, but not too annoying :)

My clock won't keep the time. I have it set to update from the inet automatically, but the flashing dots seem to be a second off, and the time itself is 4 hours off! I've set it manually and still won't work, very strange...

Nd

i'm having this problem too. it looks like the clock is running about 40% too fast.

any clues to a fix or workaround? when you select the date and time panel, it goes to ntp and resets the clock, but the drift starts again immediately.

is there any utility to force an ntp update every hour or so?

Guest bikedude880
i'm having this problem too. it looks like the clock is running about 40% too fast.

any clues to a fix or workaround? when you select the date and time panel, it goes to ntp and resets the clock, but the drift starts again immediately.

is there any utility to force an ntp update every hour or so?

Go to System Preferences and find Date & Time. You can set it there.

Guest bikedude880
We were setting it in Sys Preferences. It will update with the current time, or even setting manually. But as soon as the preferences window is closed, mine slows WAY down. Interesting that hiroo's clock is fast :)

Nd

Perhaps your FSB is incorrectly set?

mifki's kernel is for sse2? you serious NdofTaWorld ? as far as i know, this release is only for sse3 users which means that both kernels are only for sse3 . besides, i think so far only semthex has a kernel that works for sse2 (not in the released dvd) but it has been reported to be quite buggy.

sorry of i'm mistaken and thanks for the reply

got it working perfect used audio kexts from 10.4.6 and networking from 10.4.6 all works koverg patch also works np about this mac does not crash on mine

specs

Fujitsu siemens scaleo p media centre

intel pentium 4 630 3.2ghz

2gb ram

2x 200gb sata hd

ati radeon x700se 5E4F

Hey, I have a trouble.

Just, I can't pass the blue screen next to the Apple logo in the installation.

10.4.6 and 10.4.7 worked fine.

No mouse, just the blue screen before the installation.

Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHZ