Greatest Mac in History

Swad

182 posts in this topic

#1 - Mac IIFX - Back in the day when MacWorld magazine was more than 1/2" thick. The most'est of the most'est. Bad ass computer that walked around with a pack of smokes rolled up in it's sleeve.

#2 - Quadra 840AV - Wicked fast Mac with lots of "above and beyond" innovations like a real DSP and built-in video capture.

I'd have to say the first Mac (GUI, compact, ment for masses) and by extension :-) the Mac Plus, maybe the SE. Apple sold a lot of them. That was THE computer revolution. GUI for the masses.

The G3 blue and whites. They were so much faster then the 604s. Brought in real video editing, firewire.

For me it was the Lisa, which I suppose wasn't a Mac per se but it was the Apple forerunner of all things Macintosh. It was the first time I'd seen a GUI or in fact a machine with a hard drive (whopping 10MB) and it just worked, perfectly. That nylon mesh stretched tightly over the surface of the screen was interesting, it cut down glare but it made it a {censored} to clean. The first day I used it I had no idea it had a hard drive so I stuffed in one of the original program diskettes - come to think of it, that was the first time I'd seen 3.5" floppies too - and got a bollocking off the department admin for risking damaging the only 'virgin' copy of the software. Then we got an Atari ST with GEM and colour but the resolution sucked and it had no HDD so the Lisa was still my favourite. Oh, now I'm really showing my age :P

apple1_00.jpg

I guess this picture is of the 5.25" twin floppy version.

I would have to say after considerable thought that the Mac Pro 2.66 gHz Quad Xeon. I didn't think saying a new computer would be a good idea for the best but the Processor to Memory to Bus to PCI to Cache ratios are the baddest since the G4 Dual 533 digital audio, which had the best, but you can run Window Vista or XP and 10.4 which is incredible not to mention every month you can spend $340 a month for 4 GB (2 GB pairs) for 4 months and have 16 GB of ram (or 32 GB OWC says with 8 GB.). That's like the sickest "after you get it lasts for 8 years) computer I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized that I didn't say what my favorite Mac was when I posted last month. I'm going to have to go with the first Dual G4s (Dual 450 and Dual 500). The G4s had very efficient multiprocessing - often running things more than twice as fast as the same MHz single processor systems. They could use up to 2GB of RAM, had lots of room for hard drives, and had gigabit ethernet. I got my Dual 450 when they first came out, and I used it until I sold it two months ago (it was running OS X Server, and was still quite quick and very stable after 7 years).

Well todays Mac's are really just high-quality x86 PC hardware underneath.

I'd say the most revolutionary Mac was the first one released in 1984. It was vastly superior to any IBM PC on the market at that time. The only disadvantages it had were lack of color display and overally expensive price tag: $2495 in 1984.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
#1 - Mac IIFX - Back in the day when MacWorld magazine was more than 1/2" thick. The most'est of the most'est. Bad ass computer that walked around with a pack of smokes rolled up in it's sleeve.

Ditto. Still one running in grandpa's basement running an original 19" monitor for 3D cad work with Ashlar Vellum.

All the Nubus slots made this thing incredibly expandable.

P.S. The Apple II was great but not a Mac. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
For me it was the Lisa, which I suppose wasn't a Mac per se but it was the Apple forerunner of all things Macintosh. It was the first time I'd seen a GUI or in fact a machine with a hard drive (whopping 10MB) and it just worked, perfectly. That nylon mesh stretched tightly over the surface of the screen was interesting, it cut down glare but it made it a {censored} to clean. The first day I used it I had no idea it had a hard drive so I stuffed in one of the original program diskettes - come to think of it, that was the first time I'd seen 3.5" floppies too - and got a bollocking off the department admin for risking damaging the only 'virgin' copy of the software. Then we got an Atari ST with GEM and colour but the resolution sucked and it had no HDD so the Lisa was still my favourite. Oh, now I'm really showing my age :(

apple1_00.jpg

I guess this picture is of the 5.25" twin floppy version.

Haha, now this looks more like an old oscilloscope. Anyway, I am surprised that more people haven't picked the Pismo. If i remember correctly, it was one of the -- if not the -- first laptop to include a DVD-ROM drive. Two extensible bays. It was the first notebook to include FireWire in place of SCSI. It had that G4 logic board in it, that's a first. Weighing in at 6 lbs. beat anything on the market at the time. Super easy installation of hard drive and memory, right under the keyboard, which was somewhat revolutionary considering that not a single Pro Mac laptop since then has had a very easy hard drive installation. In fact, it hasn't been considered user replaceable and continues to void the warranty since the TiBook. The MacBooks are the next evolution in that process, by the way (amazing).

But as much as I have liked most of my previous Macs, that Pismo was near perfect. I still miss working on it.

post-136570-1190561863_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Oh, I forgot -- it also was the first internally wireless capable laptop, wasn't it? It had the capability for 802.11b with a built in airport card.

Id have to say OSX was the biggest thing for apple, because it was the begining of the new era and the switch from system to bsd core and of course the bigest switch, the switch from ppc to x86.... :P

and for the most revolutionary, the lisa, first consumer computer with gui, and first computer with mouse.

but for apple in general, the iPod, its the thing that brought apple to many users pockets, even pc users who would never consider apple. as you can see i dont know much else about apple history....

i have to agree 100%

IMO the new iMac is one of the greatest (although not necessarily the greatest), since it is a major step towards using recyclable materials (Apple was notorious once for its enviro-unfriendlyness, even wtih Al Gore). Now it uses Aluminum and Glass, which can be melted down to make new macs with!

Furthermore, it is the first Mac to use an Intel Core 2 Extreme processor!

I love it.

Also, the iMac G5 - iMac Core 2 Duo (up to July 2007) were the same case. Gets boring.

for me is the powerbook duo 250 a great laptop (my first laptop, i got it from my mum when i was 7 who worked @ apple and got 5 macs for free)

but now i have the new imac, and that is the greatest mac in history me thinks, because it has an awesome new design, is made of recyclable materials and can run both mac os x and xp (which is very good for the switchers, but also for the mac users who like to play a game that isn't avaible for os x))

• 2 weeks later...

the 12" powerbook g4.

now outdated, it really meant a lot to the pros out there who wanted portability.

And I love mine to death!

But in first place is the Bondi Blue iMac G3. I don't even have to say anything about it: it was so revolutionary!

Otherwise, I would say the Macbook. It is the sole reason that people are switching to Mac OS X, and I see so many around campus! It is one of the best notebooks on the market today.

-Urbz

Although the Beige G3's started to get Apples heart beating again ... without a doubt it had to be the "Bondi Blue" iMac G3/233 that really got the pulse racing.

Apart from that my fav Mac's have got to be either the Quadra 840av or the 7100/80av - yeah I know they pre-historic by today's standards ... but boy in their time