Greatest Mac in History

Swad

182 posts in this topic

Powermac G4. Why?

1. It has the only processor I know of that ranges from 350MHz-2GHz which is pretty good.

2. Even today, if you really wanted to you could upgrade it to be a fairly modern machine. (upgrade the processor to Dual 1.8GHz, Upgrade the graphics to an NVIDIA 7800 GT 256MB, upgrade the memory to 2GB, add a SATA card and upgrade the harddrive to 500GB, and add a superdrive, it could work.)

3. It was released in 1999, yet the architecture of the processor was even better than the later Intel Pentium 4s.

It's also the only machine I have from the 90s that I still use, the processor even stays cool enough where I could software-overclock it from 400MHz to 533MHz. I also added a flashed NVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB card (got it real cheap), so I have QE/CI on it with Tiger. A 533MHz G4 is about equivalent to a 1GHz Pentium 4 (if they even have those), so as you can imagine it runs Tiger fairly good, apps like iTunes and Safari open instantly.

• 2 months later...

For me the Powermac G5/Mac Pro and the Powerbook G4/MacBook Pro brought the Media people together and said this is the way we were going to make stuff and Apple made a very good move with the media APPS like final cut and Apeture and Logic express that got them media people spreading and bragging about their new Mac Pro or Power Mac for that matter and the people that made the films and scripts on The PowerBook G4s/MacBook Pro then consumers started giving apple letters,suggestions to build consumer products hence the MacBook and iMac and Mac mini. The iPod really started it off and the iPhone will continue the fanchise.

• 4 weeks later...

The G4 family was a pretty awesome crowd of computers. iMac, Cube, Power Mac, PowerBook (I love me some AlBook), and...well the iBooks are all kind of meh. But the previously mentioned four are some of the hottest looking computers ever made.

• 3 weeks later...

OSX was what made it so I couldn't hate Macs anymore. I tried pretty hard, too.

The Titanium PowerBook is the first Mac I thought I might like to own (I have 2 of them now, hand-me-downs from friends who upgraded to newer Windows machines). The screen was only .2 inches smaller than my MBP, and it's probably .2 inches thicker, but there's something about it... It seems more portable than the MBP. I thought the screen res on the DVI TiBooks was just about perfect.

The white iBook was the first Mac that I ever used and liked (I borrowed it from a lady at work for some summer classes).

The MBP was the first Mac that I ever had and liked from the start (It's not really mine, it belongs to the company. So I can never quit!).

The G4 family was a pretty awesome crowd of computers. iMac, Cube, Power Mac, PowerBook (I love me some AlBook), and...well the iBooks are all kind of meh. But the previously mentioned four are some of the hottest looking computers ever made.

I have to agree as well, the G4's were some of the nicest looking computers made. My personal favorite is a mix between the AlBook (started the amazing design for the MacBook Pro today) or the G4 Cube.

I used an emac for 3 years and loved it. Other macs I've owned include TiBook and ibook g3 dual usb but for me personally the greatest mac in history is the powermac g4, they not only look amazing but work like a charm and are so easy to fix/upgrade.

• 1 month later...

For both eras, the classic and modern era:

- Most revolutionary Mac in History: The one and only, original Apple Macintosh. A machine, where for the user, it's just plug and play, and you are good to go. You didn' even have to buy most peripherials (e.g. the keyboard, the mouse and monitor) separately, like with most 8086/8088 based computers of the time.

- Most revolutionary MacOS: The original System 1. It was the very first successful, convenient, and easy to use standalone GUI based operating system, which didn't even require a text based DOS interface to boot. Sure, the Lisa had its own GUI OS, and it also didn't require a DOS like the then industry standard MS-DOS or even CP/M, but it was not nearly as revolutionary, visually appealing and functional than MacOS 1 ever was, plus it was originally just built to run business applications, while System 1 was partly also intended for the home market.

- Most revolutionary modern Mac: Definitely the iMac. It was perhaps, along with the iPod later on, the breakthrough Apple Computer and Steve Jobs have been dreaming about since the original Macintosh. It turned the Macintosh from a niche market computer to something more mainstream, and a more serious competitor of Windows based systems.

- Most revolutionary modern MacOS: MacOS X. The best of several worlds. Developments from NeXTSTEP, combined with the user friendlyness of MacOS and the reliability of Unix, something that has become a winning formula.

- Most revolutionary modern MacOS: MacOS X. The best of several worlds. Developments from NeXTSTEP, combined with the user friendlyness of MacOS and the reliability of Unix, something that has become a winning formula.

Well, one thing is for sure: MacOS X, and MacOS 10.4 and 10.5, specifically, have certainly propelled Hackintoshes into the forefront.

Whereas I have countless 68K Macs, and 601, 604, 750 and 7440 PPC Macs, I DO NOT HAVE ANY INTEL Macs.

All my so-called Intel Macs are really Hackintoshes, built from commodity parts, usually a Gigabyte mobo and a Core 2 CPU.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted here about my TiBook before, but I just fired it up again today as the host machine for my wiimote whiteboard, and I have to say, I LOVE the resolution on that machine. I don't know what it is, but it is better than the 1024x768 (obviously), and I like it better than 1200x800 too, for some reason.

I posted here about my TiBook before, but I just fired it up again today as the host machine for my wiimote whiteboard, and I have to say, I LOVE the resolution on that machine. I don't know what it is, but it is better than the 1024x768 (obviously), and I like it better than 1200x800 too, for some reason.

sadly its 1024x800

xD

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna have to go with G4 cube for design, pismo for expandability and stable workhorse-ness. You can upgrade one to 900mhz, maybe even 1ghz and its still a great laptop.

I also like the always forgotten iMac G4. It's just great!

And the Lisa for being the firstg consumer computer with a GUI and the first with a mouse.

• 1 month later...

The best mac ever ran AIX and prevented the booting of any Mac OS code.

Anyone know what it is? (Okay, it technically isn't a mac..... or a serious suggestion)

As for desktop use.... the iMac. Because it's shiny (Mind trails off into hypnosis....).

And no... I didn't post in a dead topic lol

And no... I didn't post in a dead topic lol

It's not the 12 dimm slots that got me with the 9500 (and the 9600, for that matter), but how rediculously hard it was to get into the 9500 (and the 800/8000 series towers, for that matter). However, the 9500 (and 9600) were both extremely expandible and fast, being able to hold 1.5 GiB of RAM with 6 PCI slots and onboard SCSI. In fact, the 9600 was re-released after the original Beige G3 came out, simply because it had 6 PCI slots (still unmatched in Apple hardware) and could handle 1.5 GiB of RAM (it would take the Digital Audio G4 to match this capability).

Ummm nope, the Sawtooth G4 could go to 2gb ram. The Digital Audio could actually handle LESS ram than the Sawtooth.

• 3 months later...

Actually, if the truth were known, the Macbook I bought in Feb is the best Apple computer ever made. After 20 or more years with the other kind, I'm giddy. I've never had so much fun in my life. Really, you can't imagine what headaches I had before coming to Apple. I tell people who say they can't afford one that it's worth saving $25 a month til you can. And I tell them that the money they're saving buying the other kind is just compensation for the pain they'll suffer.

I'd make Apple's best salesperson ever if I had to go back to work. Personally, I got no discount on my little Laptop, and I think it's a steal for what I got. I get excited just thinking about it. Add some nifty software and you've got a dream-come-true.

Thank you Apple!!!

• 6 months later...

I'd have to say it was the iPod. I can safely say that most people's first Apple product has been an iPod. Once they get an iPod they've taken their first step into a larger world. After than it's not long until they might end up buying a Mac. I know that's how it went for me.

I'd have to say it was the iPod. I can safely say that most people's first Apple product has been an iPod. Once they get an iPod they've taken their first step into a larger world. After than it's not long until they might end up buying a Mac. I know that's how it went for me.

Greatest Mac in history is the iPod? :blink:

My favorite would probably be the G4 iMac. I LOVE the design of it, it's so pretty. :)