Official uphuck 10.4.9 universal x86 install DVD v1.3 thread

Panja

793 posts in this topic

You might try repairing permissions on the volume. If you can't get into the GUI to run Disk Utility, you might be able to boot in single user mode (Press F8 at startup and enter -s on the command line.) In single-user mode, enter "sh /etc/rc " at the command line, and when it allows you to input commands again, enter "diskutil repairPermissions /"

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't do anything for me. In fact, it didn't even find ONE problem with permissions... still stuck on the same place. :(

I've now resolved all the problems I had with the 1.3 DVD on the Dell Inspiron 8600. It's running on a 4GB thumb drive, Everything works and I can read all the drives and partitions. I'll experiment later with adding the Alps Touchpad driver, and Battery meter.

In case this might be useful to anyone else, the last problem I had with the disk insertion error was caused by my boot manager, BootITNG. I discovered that every time the system tried to boot from the 10.4.9 partition, it was automatically hiding the NTFS and FAT32 partitions on the first IDE drive -- hence the "Disk Insertion -- cannot read disk" error message after the desktop loaded. I resolved this by using the BootITNG settings to tell the computer that the OSX partition was disk1s2 instead of disk1s1 and not the active partition on the drive. This sounds counter-intuitive, but it did the trick. BootItNG wants the boot manager to be the active partition and handles booting individual operating systems without requiring their individual partitions to be "set active."

System Packages: Intel, Universal Kernel-3, 1048: AppleACPIPlatform, IOATAFamily, Remove Thermal Kexts, PowerManagement Bundle, Titan

After installation the 10.4.8 versions of AppleAPIC.kext and AppleMPIC.kext must be substituted for the ones on the 1.3 Uphuck DVD.

Video and disk performance seem to be slightly improved from 10.4.8. (Running from a thumb drive is inherently slower than running from an ordinary IDE partition. If this version behaves itself, I may use it to replace 10.4.6 on my main drive. (I keep 10.4.6 around because, until now, it's had the best overall performance on my hardware even without the QE/CI support.)

post-23504-1181991770_thumb.jpg

Hey guys. I'm having the same buffer issue that was just remedied by lennyb. I do happen to have a JaS 10.4.8 dvd, but I can't seem to find the AppleAPIC.kext or AppleMPIC.kext folders on it. Are they inside the Extensions.mkext file? If so, how would I go about extracting them without a working Mac environment within which to do so? Thanks.

You will need to have Pacifist to extract it from the installer package (the kexts are in the 'essentials' package if i'm not mistaken)

However, getting Pacifist on my system wasn't that easy since I didn't have another (windows) partition, nad it wouldn't recognise my usb stick.

I had to burn it to a CD using another PC.

To boot your system, you will need to have your uphuck dvd in the drive, and where it says 'press F8 for boot options' (or something similar),

you need to press F8 (duh) and type 'rd=disk0s1' (if your Mac partition is on the firdt disk from the first drive, otherwise change to disk1s2 for second disk, second partition... you get it)

Anyways, good luck, I hope you will have a bootable system soon.

thank you for your feedbacks. can you add your hardware and OS details to your signature?

OK. Thanks for all of your work on this too. I created a signature, but it doesn't show in the preview. We'll see if it appears when I add this reply.

A few more minor notes.

I still get "Diskarb session could not be started" messages before the loginwindow app launches the GUI, but they don't prevent the desktop from loading.

The modified ApplePS2Trackpad.kext in the Genius Bar "useful files" thread enabled the ALPS touchpad on this machine. I dropped in the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext from Jas 10.4.8 to make the Battery Meter appear (sleep still doesn't work, but that's expected. If the BIOS permitted the default to be changed from S3 to S1, it might, but that option isn't available).

There's some bugginess with the Broadcom 440x Ethernet using IONetworkingFamily.kext from v. 10.4.6 (which works perfectly in Jas 10.4.8). What happens is that the system recognizes it as a PCI Ethernet Slot instead of "Built In Ethernet." When I click the Apply Changes button, the system hangs or Finder restarts, so I'm leaving it unconfigured. I may try putting in IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.4.8 to see if that makes any difference. No problems at all with the wireless.

There's a PCMCIA fix for the Texas Instruments 4510 PC Card controller that works under 10.4.8. I haven't tried adding the modified IOPCCard.kext to 10.4.9, yet.

This is not a curious story. It IS TRUE.

I have a no branded lap top i've tried without success to instal all osx86 i have.

as usual attempted to install uphuck v1.3.

the 3rd time it worked with some limitations.

after install found that it only boot with a USB PEN inserted.

found also that an usb pen is selectable to install OS and boot from it.

so if you are unable to start up uphuck why not give it a try with a regylar installation and a plugged-in USB PEN?

see... without the pen plugged my lap top stops launching... if plugged runs almost ok... with time and work i will fix it.

BTW... have this release running in 3 AMD boxes A8N32SLI deluxe, A8V-VM, A8V deluxe.

I'm happy now trying to fix VGA

ATI Mobility Radeon x700 128MB

google etc. for info how to, but... up to this moment have no solution.

any suggestion are well-come

I figured I would post this in this thread as this seems to be where everyone is posting problems they are having with this version.

Well...it seems ive gotten past the blinking _ but not much further. I repartitioned the drive using the MBR option (didnt do this before) and did a clean install.

It boots to the screen showing Darwinx86 countdown, then shows this:

hd (0,1) OSx86Root (this is the volume name that i put in)

Press Enter to startup Darwin/x86 with no options or you can:

Type -v and press enter to start....blah blah blah

Typer ? and press enter to learn.....blah blah blah

It doesnt matter what I try to put in here or press...it goes nowhere. -v doesnt do anything, -x doesnt do anything, ? doesnt do anything, and just pressing Enter doesnt do anything.

Please help a newb.

Thanks guys/gals

Hello,

I am not very sucessful with 1.3 yet either.

I installed the following:

- Intel 10.4.9

- Universal Kernel 3

- Remove CPUPowermanagement

-Verbose Mode

- NForce SATA

The result is a kernel panic like follows:

kernel_1_3.gif

Can someone help me with this?

I get an error after it says that it installed all correclty it said restarting in 30,29,28...

When it restarted it said

"System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found.

Is there a way that i can only reinstall that, or should i just reinstall it as a whole?

Not going to see this for a while, if possible can you PM the answer.

Thanks,

Tiger

I figured I would post this in this thread as this seems to be where everyone is posting problems they are having with this version.

Well...it seems ive gotten past the blinking _ but not much further. I repartitioned the drive using the MBR option (didnt do this before) and did a clean install.

It boots to the screen showing Darwinx86 countdown, then shows this:

hd (0,1) OSx86Root (this is the volume name that i put in)

Press Enter to startup Darwin/x86 with no options or you can:

Type -v and press enter to start....blah blah blah

Typer ? and press enter to learn.....blah blah blah

It doesnt matter what I try to put in here or press...it goes nowhere. -v doesnt do anything, -x doesnt do anything, ? doesnt do anything, and just pressing Enter doesnt do anything.

Please help a newb.

Thanks guys/gals

@xtremeskier97

May you go in more detail about what keyboard you are using? I was using a PS/2 Keyboard yesterday and couldnt get it to work, well still can't but if u buy a PS/2 to USB convertor it works. Works for me! It does thatbecause Macs dont have PS/2 thats only a PC feature. Just trick it to thinking your using there mighty mouse.

Your Welcome,

Tiger

Installed using Universal #3 kernel on ECS system (see sig).

Onboard Lan not working (VIA Rhine onboard lan; worked fine with JaS 10.4.8).

Added a PCI Realtek 8139 chip ethernet card, which works.

System Update had one update available: Security Update 2007-005 (30.2 MB).

One 3rd-party app. I'd like included: Monolingual 1.3.7 (size is 1.0 Mb):

http://mac.majorgeeks.com/download4686.html

Onboard Realtek sound is left-channel only. There's a fix available to enable stereo sound, but having the correct driver already included on the installer would also be a plus.

Other suggestions:

Check: Mac.MajorGeeks.com for updated 3rd-party apps before next release. Firefox and Skype have newer versions than what is offered on the (v. 1.3) install DVD.

QE currently not enabled with my AGP Radeon X1600. Screen resolution is limited to: 1024 x 768. Again, there are fixes for enabling QE, but having the option of installing the correct driver, included on the install disc, would be good.

@xtremeskier97

May you go in more detail about what keyboard you are using? I was using a PS/2 Keyboard yesterday and couldnt get it to work, well still can't but if u buy a PS/2 to USB convertor it works. Works for me! It does thatbecause Macs dont have PS/2 thats only a PC feature. Just trick it to thinking your using there mighty mouse.

Your Welcome,

Tiger

Well...I have a PS/2 MS keyboard hooked up (only works half of the time when installing OSx86) and I also have a wireless USB keyboard hooked up..but I turned off USB legacy support in the BIOS when trying another resolution on these forums. The PS/2 keyboard works when it's sitting at the "boot:" prompt. I can type anything I want in there and hit enter...just nothing happens..just goes back to the "boot:" prompt.

Ill unplug the PS/2 KB and turn legacy USB back on and see what I get and post back...just a shot in the dark I guess.

Thanks for the reply though..if anyone else has anymore tricks up their sleeve...im all ears....errr...eyes rather. :P

**EDIT** just tried enabling USB legacy and removing the PS/2 KB. No dice. Still not booting. :hysterical:

Um...is there a way to load a kernel extension (kext driver) right before the time the loginwindow app starts?

Because I noticed that kext extensions in OSX load WAY before the graphical system pops up. (my AppleVIAATA driver loads at just after I started booting on my laptop uphuck 1.3).

Or am I wrong about going this way?

The thing I need my osx to do is to load my ApplePS2Controller.kext (and it's subsets, ApplePS2Trackpad and ApplePS2KEyboard) using a command I put in /etc/rc file.

Do you know about this uphuck? Anyone??? Much appreciation to someone who could help me out!

Plus: I'm getting good luck with everything else hardware-wise on the release.

See My problem is that my keyboard/touchpad driver NEVER loads properly on each boot!

I can change the value in Info.plist under ApplePS2Trackpad.kext folders (for IOProbeScore of the Synaptics device) and then kextload the ApplePS2Controller and subsets, and it works through doing this within Terminal.

However, when the same thing is done in /etc/rc, (for bootup stuff), I don't get a message "Synaptics Touchpad 5.9" within dmesg output, and it doesn't work at all.

Tom A.

Hello,

I am not very sucessful with 1.3 yet either.

I installed the following:

- Intel 10.4.9

- Universal Kernel 3

- Remove CPUPowermanagement

-Verbose Mode

- NForce SATA

The result is a kernel panic like follows:

kernel_1_3.gif

Can someone help me with this?

It looks like you didn't substitute the older version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext. You can try reinstalling and choose the older version in the install packages.

I still cant where to dwonload it online < nevermind I found it lol downloading

Anyone can recommend settings for AMD ?

First of all, thank you for your great work uphuck! Installed it today and it was a big pleasure to see so much stuff workin almost out of the box :wacko:

I just have another driver request, the alps touchpad driver should be handy if it was included, you can find it here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...272&hl=alps

I guess there are more people who are using your DVD that could use this :wacko: It enables 2 finger scrolling & tapping for us ALPS touchpad laptop users :wacko:

and another thing! It's great to see you have included some apps in there, but I think it would be better to not do that, since most of them will be outdated when you'll install the DVD, yes I'm an up2date freak like most people are :wacko: In case of adding those apps, I should have left the printer drivers there, guess they're more handy than the apps!

annyways, it's your DVD, you decide what you'll do with it! If you don't add ALPS driver and/or reimport printer drivers, that's fine ;)

Grtz,

Jeroen. :)

Success! ... almost

i tried installing 5 times each time with a different kernel and finaly got it working on my Dell inspiron E1505 with Core 2 Duo. i used the universal kernel -2 and it installed. i have a few problems i could use help with

1)It picked up my internal wireless card and shows my network but when i try acualy conecting it fails

btw i do have a wep if that changes anything

2)the system is also very "spazy" loading bars go very fast and mouse cursor is jumpy. i have heard that disabling one of the cores in the bios will fix this but i have a tripple boot with vista and xp pro X64 and dont want to disable the dual core for all the os's, so can i tell osx to ignore one of the cores?

3)i also have a wide screen lcd but the resolution isnt wide screen so everything is streched

Any help or advice would be great

Thanks in advance

Success! ... almost

i tried installing 5 times each time with a different kernel and finaly got it working on my Dell inspiron E1505 with Core 2 Duo. i used the universal kernel -2 and it installed. i have a few problems i could use help with

1)It picked up my internal wireless card and shows my network but when i try acualy conecting it fails

btw i do have a wep if that changes anything

2)the system is also very "spazy" loading bars go very fast and mouse cursor is jumpy. i have heard that disabling one of the cores in the bios will fix this but i have a tripple boot with vista and xp pro X64 and dont want to disable the dual core for all the os's, so can i tell osx to ignore one of the cores?

3)i also have a wide screen lcd but the resolution isnt wide screen so everything is streched

Any help or advice would be great

Thanks in advance

I think I know the answer to number 3. do you have the video card driver properly installed? also, I can't remember the file, but there was on you could edit to change the resolution. im hoping to have this installed by 12AM hehe

Um...is there a way to load a kernel extension (kext driver) right before the time the loginwindow app starts?

Because I noticed that kext extensions in OSX load WAY before the graphical system pops up. (my AppleVIAATA driver loads at just after I started booting on my laptop uphuck 1.3).

Or am I wrong about going this way?

The thing I need my osx to do is to load my ApplePS2Controller.kext (and it's subsets, ApplePS2Trackpad and ApplePS2KEyboard) using a command I put in /etc/rc file.

Do you know about this uphuck? Anyone??? Much appreciation to someone who could help me out!

Plus: I'm getting good luck with everything else hardware-wise on the release.

See My problem is that my keyboard/touchpad driver NEVER loads properly on each boot!

I can change the value in Info.plist under ApplePS2Trackpad.kext folders (for IOProbeScore of the Synaptics device) and then kextload the ApplePS2Controller and subsets, and it works through doing this within Terminal.

However, when the same thing is done in /etc/rc, (for bootup stuff), I don't get a message "Synaptics Touchpad 5.9" within dmesg output, and it doesn't work at all.

Tom A.

Are you talking about integrating the driver into the DVD or in your installed system? Because these are very different things. You shouldnt modify the rc scripts to load drivers. Any driver in /System/Library/Extensions with the appropriate permissions and owner should be detected and loaded when the appropriate hardware is found (ie by adding the device ids to Info.plist as you've done).