Official uphuck 10.4.9 universal x86 install DVD v1.3 thread

Panja

793 posts in this topic

Currently this disc is not very useful for those with nForce4 boards who want to install to SATA drives, as the DVD Extensions.mkext uses AppleVIAATA.kext rather than the AppleNForceSATA.kext from berlios.

I'm currently testing a custom uphuck 1.3 that I have integrated the nForce4 driver into, and will post a PPF once I have confirmed this works correctly.

Ok I finally got 10.4.9 installed and seems to be alright. I have some issues though.

1. Software updated crashes after I run it. It scans to see what updates I need and displays them and crashes.

2. When I go to install my mouse drivers I can't. I go three clicks or so into the install and can't go any further. Anyone else having this issue?

3. "About this Mac" crashes. I have never gotten this to work and it sucks. I checked the login window during the install and still crashes. Could it have to do with my hardware?

4. System pref. just crashed. It doesn't seem like this is very stable?? Is it just me?

Asus P5LD2-VM DH mobo

Intel Pentium D930 CPU

1gig DDR2 ram

160gb ATA HD

250gb SATA HD

200gb SATA HD

Chevy

Ok I finally got 10.4.9 installed and seems to be alright. I have some issues though.

1. Software updated crashes after I run it. It scans to see what updates I need and displays them and crashes.

2. When I go to install my mouse drivers I can't. I go three clicks or so into the install and can't go any further. Anyone else having this issue?

3. "About this Mac" crashes. I have never gotten this to work and it sucks. I checked the login window during the install and still crashes. Could it have to do with my hardware?

4. System pref. just crashed. It doesn't seem like this is very stable?? Is it just me?

Asus P5LD2-VM DH mobo

Intel Pentium D930 CPU

1gig DDR2 ram

160gb ATA HD

250gb SATA HD

200gb SATA HD

Chevy

Since it only takes about 15 minutes per install, try installing with the different kernels until one work correctly on your system.

Thanks to you uphuck, great release but i have a few issues.

Firstly, can't install to my SATA drive as it's not recognized, nforce 3. I did install to an old ide drive and my sata partitions are showing as network drives.

My video card, geforce 6800 has CI and QE working out the box, dual spanned monitors as well but it shows as a pci card.

I edited the natit kext, IOPCIMatch to the value for my card, repaired permissions and now on booting back up i continually get an error asking me to reboot. If anyone has any ideas, please share otherwise i'll need to re-install.

- still disk utility problem

- still language problem

1.3 die free...

- What's your disk utility problem? I open disk utility twice. The second time it works. Even if it doesn't work for the second time, you can prepare a partition with your currently installed system before booting from the dvd, can't you?

- About my nvidia geforce 5200 agp card problem... Which kext files do I need to copy from the Jas release? Because this card works CI QE out of the box with he Jas 10.4.8 release. I think it could work. Please someone tell me...

sorry, i am new here, i couldnt find the torrent link, do you download uphuck v1.3 at piratebay ( can not find it there)

could someone please pm me the torrent download link or hints?

thanks!

Can ANYONE Explain why the hell I cant boot up? OS X is cool, but finding the god damn support is making it not even worth it. I been reading for 2 days now and I can't figure this out. CAN ANYONE POSSIBLY HELP ME!? THE TUTORIALS TO INSTALL SUCK. Might as well make it easy on all yourselves and just say.

1) Download .iso

2) Burn DVD

3) Install by following steps

4) Customized to Intel

5) Reboot

6) Congrats you go OS X, NOT! I forgot to tell you this was going to be a day waste of installing because the support for this project sucks #&@!

parachute: The problem with the disk utility is that when I create a disk image from a partition and try to write it back I get various error numbers and the partition is destroyed. Creating some .dmg types isn't working too. On the DVD's disk utility I had no problems.

Compliments to Uphuck!!

It works at first try on my signature machine. I had NOT touched any bios setting or Sata ports arrangement. It installed on my IDE DVD burner with this known 965 mobo which uses Jmicron chip :)

Only a problem: LAN doesn't work. However inside AppleYukon.kext is reported the Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053. Should the device id be changed?

Installed Marvell 8053 driver from Gigabyte DS3 driver package, but with no luck.

Where can I find that missing extension?

Also, how to change keyboard layout? It behaviors like a Mac keyboard, with number and symbols upside down and QZERTY keys. When I used Jas Iso some time ago I remember there was something at setup stage to match PC-style keyboards....

what were your bios configuration?

I have a P5B deluxe with jmicron chip too, and I got my newbie boot.plist error.

There is so many question for this problem that I can't find a post with correct bios setting on the board.

thanks

HOW DO YOU DUAL BOOT?! i want to run XP as my primary OS and want to run OSX86 secondary. I've heard Acronis is a good one or is Boot Camp at all possible? Please let me know what you guys think! THANKS A TON!!!

1. Partition your hard drive with something like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Manager. Create a primary partition for WinXP and a primary partition for OSX.

2. Install OSX on your second partition. This will make OSX bootable.

3. Now install WinXP on the first partition. This will make that partition active and WinXP will then be your primary operating system. (There are other directions you can use to create partitions and install, but this is the easiest way)

4. Google for a file named 'chain0'. Copy Chain0 to the root of the C:\ directory (click on properties to make 'hidden' if desired)

5. Open Boot.ini and add the following line: c:\CHAIN0="Mac OSX 10.4.9" (or whatever you want to label your system)

6. In Boot.ini, remove the ';' from the timeout line and change the number to the number of seconds you want before your system will just automatically load WinXP

7. Save and close the file now. That's it, you're done. If you reboot, you will have a dual operating system.

At boot up, you will now have the option to toggle between Windows XP and Mac OSX 10.4.9. Clicking on Windows XP will automatically take you to Windows. Clicking on Mac OSX may or may not take you directly to OSX...it depends on your motherboard and bios. With the Bad Axe 2 motherboard, I press the F8 button "very quickly" after pressing 'enter' to get the Darwin boot screen that then allows you to choose your OSX partition.

This avoids having to use any third party software and although it doesn't give you the graphical interface of Acronis, it's much quicker and IMHO, cleaner and less intrusive. Hope this helps.

I kept trying the uphuck disc and it kept locking up when it would load the kernel after the install completed. I dug up a JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 Intel AMD disc and worked on the first try - w/onboard lan and sound working but the resolution was maxed at 1024x768 (but per the wiki that fix is somewhere in the forums).

I'll probably play around with the machine as is right now and when I'm ready for a second build move to uphuck 10.4.9.

Thanks to all for their posts (here and on the wiki) - donated $10 to the site.

Mine gives me a "error during install.. please try reinstalling" or whatever everytime. I was wondering if you guys might be able to rule out some possible issues?

My computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-FE660G (I believe it only has SSE2 and not SSE3, but not entirely sure)

Currently, I am running JAS osx86 10.4.6

1) I download uphuck from isohunt, but the tracker URL said it was coming from Demonoid

2) I believe I have tried every kernal (except AMD ones). So, would the patches have an effect on the install?

3) I am upgrading rather than doing a clean install in hopes of keeping my settings, so I thought this might be the problem, but I am not sure.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

HERE'S AN UPDATE OF MY UPHUCK 1.3 INSTALL: i've been working a day and a half already 100% osX86 and haven't had any problems on my Toshiba Core 2 duo satellite s205, I administer over 50 Macs where i work and my system is running about as fast as most apple systems I have here!!! I forgot to mention for other toshiba core 2 duo users that I do not have to disable the 2nd core in my BIOS anymore but you DO have to modify these 2 settings to avoid Kernel Panic: Under CPU Switching you must change the setting to ALWAYS LOW, and under Configure Devices you must change the setting to ALL DEVICE. if you do not do this you will continually get kernel panic.

I also installed last night on my AMD 64 3200 and got it working but rather slow and buggy, I used the AMD SSE3 Kernel does anyone have a similar Configuration that can recommend which kernel to try out for maximum performance? PC is a MMD 64 3200 + WINFAST NVIDIA NFORCE 4 MOBO 2GB DDR 400 DUAL CHANNEL RAM I'M INSTALLING OSX86 on an normal ATA hard drive - Nvidia Geforce 6600gt PCI-X AC97 audio codec.

Thanks Again...UPHUCK RULES!!!!

:police:

I'm stuck with the same problem as you lennyb, 5242 buffer error and using the patch didn't help. I'm running a Pentium M 1.7GHz on a 855PM too.

I've found a workaround to the boot stall at Buffers= 5242, 4096, but I'm still having problems. I was inspired to take a look at the "Update 10.4.8 to 10.4.9" thread in the Genius Bar:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=45283

I copied the following system Kexts from a working Jas 10.4.8 system

/system/library/extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /

/system/library/extensions/AppleACPIplatform.kext /

/system/library/extensions/AppleAPIC.kext /

/system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /

/system/library/extensions/system.kext /

(Note that two of these, AppleACPIplatform.kext and IOATAFamily.kext, can currently be replaced during the installation on the 1.3 DVD.)

I dropped these 10.4.8 kexts into the /system/library/extensions folder on the 10.4.9 partition and repaired permissions: chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/kextname

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/kextname

The next time I tried to boot from disk, the 10.4.9 system went past the ACPI Buffers statement and loaded all the way up to the loginwindow command.

The system hung up at a "failure to establish diskarb" statement and wouldn't enter the graphic interface. I still haven't resolved that.

I was able to boot into the graphic interface from the DVD, as usual, by pressing F8 and entering rd=disk1s1 -f -v on the command line. But when I boot from the DVD, there are a bunch of load link errors before the login window appears.

By replacing other kexts, IOPCIFamily, IONetworking Family and IO80211Family, I was able to get networking functional, but still only when booting from the DVD. I haven't found a version of AppleAC97Audio that works, yet and I haven't been able to get Titan or Natit to load.

My hunch is that there are number of system kexts in the Uphuck distribution that don't function properly with older Intel chipsets. I was eventually able to get NVDANv30Hal to load for Titan, but the Titan.kext, itself, wouldn't load and there's an error in identifying the video card. I haven't tried using Omni's other driver, yet.

I'm not sure I have the time to do trial and error experiments with all the other kexts the Uphuck DVD puts in the Extensions folder. It's probably easier to just save the 8.9.1 kernel you want from the Uphuck DVD, install 10.4.8 and run the delta updater, as the Genius Bar tutorial recommends.

5. Open Boot.ini and add the following line: c:\CHAIN0="Mac OSX 10.4.9" (or whatever you want to label your system)

6. In Boot.ini, remove the ';' from the timeout line and change the number to the number of seconds you want before your system will just automatically load WinXP

I think i understood number (5), i just added that line in at the end of boot.ini. But number (6) i just wasnt sure if i had the correct line. Any idea what i should be looking for? I opened boot.ini in wordpad! Thanks for the help!!

I think i understood number (5), i just added that line in at the end of boot.ini. But number (6) i just wasnt sure if i had the correct line. Any idea what i should be looking for? I opened boot.ini in wordpad! Thanks for the help!!

First of all, you only want to edit your boot.ini file with a text editor like notepad etc. Wordpad can add formatting that your boot.ini won't like.

My boot.ini file begins with the line:

;timeout=30

By changing it to timeout=6 (no semicolon), it gives my 6 seconds to choose my OS. The semicolon negates the line. Hope this explains it better.