Official uphuck 10.4.9 universal x86 install DVD v1.3 thread

Panja

793 posts in this topic

Diehardjr
you are trying to take off without any knowledge which ends with a sure breakdown. Before starting your experiments please read about osx86, hardware support and about drivers a little.

Good answer from Punkrock, I have looked at that file too, but never thought to change that address. Don't know how he got the magic number, but this issue should be fully analyzed since Marvell 8053 is supposed to work, and it shouldn't hard to get it working. Maybe all it needs is just Punkrock has discovered...

Keep rockin'!!

uphuck

No I understand that completely, I realise my patch will only help a few people, there would be no reason to integrate it into one of your official releases, as it would break everyone else's systems. Otherwise the hardware support on your DVD is the best yet, thanks very much.

By the way, how have people been getting on with my patch?

By the way, how have people been getting on with my patch?

I'm not able to get into OS X to install the patch due to this problem, my setup is a laptop so im up a creek.

Is there any way you or someone else can upload a PPF to Demonoid? I know it's redundant for most to have a PPF be that big for such a small update but for those of us that are unable to get into the system to begin with it would be very helpful.

Thanks

I'm not able to get into OS X to install the patch due to this problem, my setup is a laptop so im up a creek.

Is there any way you or someone else can upload a PPF to Demonoid? I know it's redundant for most to have a PPF be that big for such a small update but for those of us that are unable to get into the system to begin with it would be very helpful.

Thanks

Transmac under windows is able to mount OS X disk images, I've had no experience with it, but others on the forum report being able to use it to patch DVD images on windows. I believe there's a 30 day trial.

Also, the way to get around the nForce4 driver not being able to format to HFS+ is to make a partition in windows (any type) and then use diskpart from the commandline (standard MS tool) to change the partition type to AF (Hex code for HFS+). Then Disk util will think its already HFS+ and you'll be able to reformat (which you'll have to do because it isn't really HFS+ till you do!).

Transmac under windows is able to mount OS X disk images, I've had no experience with it, but others on the forum report being able to use it to patch DVD images on windows. I believe there's a 30 day trial.

Also, the way to get around the nForce4 driver not being able to format to HFS+ is to make a partition in windows (any type) and then use diskpart from the commandline (standard MS tool) to change the partition type to AF (Hex code for HFS+). Then Disk util will think its already HFS+ and you'll be able to reformat (which you'll have to do because it isn't really HFS+ till you do!).

Thanks alot, I will look into getting Transmac, can I run diskpart from recovery console in XP? I want to use my full hard drive for OXS and would rather not have a Windows partition.

[EDIT]

Does this work with the MCP51 chipset or is it unknown?

Thanks alot, I will look into getting Transmac, can I run diskpart from recovery console in XP? I want to use my full hard drive for OXS and would rather not have a Windows partition.

[EDIT]

Does this work with the MCP51 chipset or is it unknown?

As I've said above, no. If you have a nforce4 CK804, yes. You can use fdisk from the OS X boot disk to accomplish the same thing, and I think you can use diskpart from the recovery console.

I don’t know if this is the right place to ask, but I have some weird speed issues I can’t quie place. 95% of the time OS X runs just fine, everything is real smooth and feels like a real Mac, xbench score is also just about right if you compare it with a real Mac. But sometimes OS X gets real sluggish, weird thing is everything is running at about 1/3 speed, graphics, disk i/o, xbench gives 1/3 of my usual score...

Problem is, I can’t pin point the problem, I can’t even reproduce it, it just happens sometimes. I notice it immediately because of the magnification of the dock and expose get really sluggish.

Any ideas?? Thnx!

hey all

i tried to install uphuck's 10.4.9 v1.3 on my old ide 16gb hard drive just to see if it works, so i unpluged all my drives and set this drive to master, format it as FAT32 and when i boot the dvd from my NEC dvd writer i get this error (look at the attached picture, it's not very good so i wrote down some lines which i think are important):

first some text then

using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

Started CPU 01

panic(cpu 0: caller 0x0019DACB): copy_windows_init: cpu > num_cpus

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

then some text and at the end:

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006: semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

|

then nothing happens, the same is displayed if i use -v option. what to do? :thumbsup_anim:

my PC:

Motherboard: MSI K9N Neo

Socket: AM2

FSB: HyperTransport supporting speed up to 1GHz (2000MT/s)

Chipset: NVIDIA® nForce 550 Chipset

On-Board IDE: One IDE port by NVIDIA® nForce 550

On-Board SATA: 4 SATA II ports by NVIDIA® nForce 550

Audio: Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC883

LAN: Supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Vitesse VSC8601 (but in network connections it says NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller)

+ 1 PCI LAN: Realtek RTL8139 Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Memory: 1GB (2x512MB) Dual DDR II 667

CPU: AMD® Athlon 64 X2 3800+

GPU: MSI 7600GS 256mb (NX7600GS-T2D256EH)

post-114712-1181905716_thumb.jpg

Okay, I have to digress. As happy as I was with the 10.4.9 load, I have WAY too many USB devices that I rely on (two thumbdrives, two hard drives, and printer) that the 10.4.9 setup just would not enable.

I'm falling back to the JaS 10.4.8 load until someone gets IOUSBFamily.kext fixed for 8.9.1 kernels.

(Is USB on the VIA 8237 chipset REALLY that problematic? Geez!)

Uphuck's v1.3 works great if I don't install any video drivers whatsoever. The video drivers included on the DVD don't work for my ASUS GeForce 7300GS 256Mb PCIe (I tried them all, basically). The only one that seems to "work" more than the ones on the DVD are the Natit_Uni.pkg Installer ones, but installing them makes the following happen.

For some reason, it's hanging for me upon boot up. In verbose mode, it hangs at this last line: (See picture)

post-110255-1181843477_thumb.jpg

post-110255-1181843508_thumb.jpg

Transcription of the last line in case you can't read it (as that is where it hangs):

Cannot Use ATS Persistant Store - switching to old FODB cache code

But what's odd is that if I boot up NORMALLY (that is, without -v), I see the "Starting Mac OS X" window, and the status bar rolling by (VERY SLOWLY) and it reaches the end, but I left it there an hour and it never finished booting onto the desktop. The mouse was working (I could move it around) and the keyboard worked because I could use the reboot shortcut. Any ideas, guys?

(My PC's specs are on the sig)

Bumping myself in hopes that someone will be able to help me out. :)

EDIT: The pictures didn't come along for the repost, you can find them on my post of Page 10. Sorry about that!

Hey folks,

At first I wanna thank uphuck for this great release! It's the only patched Mac Osx x86 that could be installed succesfully on my HP pavilion dv6000.

Turion 64 X2

1024 MB DDR2

nforce 4 chipset (maybe that's da prob?)

geforce go 6100

40 GB external USB hard disc

But there's still a problem, mas osx won't boot after the installation.

It always stucks on:

jnl: flushing fs disk buffer returned

------------------------------------------

I've tried every AND-Kernel and also this universal-kernel but it still won't boot?

so what's wrong with my system?

greetz, phatronic

Okay, I have to digress. As happy as I was with the 10.4.9 load, I have WAY too many USB devices that I rely on (two thumbdrives, two hard drives, and printer) that the 10.4.9 setup just would not enable.

I'm falling back to the JaS 10.4.8 load until someone gets IOUSBFamily.kext fixed for 8.9.1 kernels.

(Is USB on the VIA 8237 chipset REALLY that problematic? Geez!)

I haven't had any problems with thumb drives under the 10.4.9 Uphuck 1.3 distribution that don't also occur with all other OSX versions (sometimes recognition of the drive is erratic and you need to take it out and reinsert it). In fact, I installed it to a 4GB thumb drive that I eventually got to boot successfully, with all drivers enabled. However, as I posted upthread, after replacing AppleAPIC and AppleMPIC kexts to get it to work, the operating system refused to mount the IDE partitions on my primary disk. After reading your post, I might try dropping in earlier versions of the IOUSBFamily.kext, to see if that has any impact.

Bumping myself in hopes that someone will be able to help me out. :)

EDIT: The pictures didn't come along for the repost, you can find them on my post of Page 10. Sorry about that!

You might try repairing permissions on the volume. If you can't get into the GUI to run Disk Utility, you might be able to boot in single user mode (Press F8 at startup and enter -s on the command line.) In single-user mode, enter "sh /etc/rc " at the command line, and when it allows you to input commands again, enter "diskutil repairPermissions /"

I've had sucess installing Uphuck's OSX86 v1.3 without any kernel error.

However after the install, my computer loads up to the Apple gear logo and then comes to a blue screen. At the blue screen it hangs with no HD activity. I have retried this about 10 times with the same results, any ideas?

Boot from the DVD and run Disk Utility to repair the OSX partition.

Then reboot from the hard disk, press F8 at startup and enter the parameters -f -v on the startup line. Write down the last several lines in the boot process and/or any messages you see about drivers failing to load.

I haven't had any problems with thumb drives under the 10.4.9 Uphuck 1.3 distribution that don't also occur with all other OSX versions (sometimes recognition of the drive is erratic and you need to take it out and reinsert it). In fact, I installed it to a 4GB thumb drive that I eventually got to boot successfully, with all drivers enabled. However, as I posted upthread, after replacing AppleAPIC and AppleMPIC kexts to get it to work, the operating system refused to mount the IDE partitions on my primary disk. After reading your post, I might try dropping in earlier versions of the IOUSBFamily.kext, to see if that has any impact.

I actually tried all of the IOUSBFamily.kext from the Apple Developer builds (10.4.3 through 10.4.9), and none worked at all with my chipset. If anybody can point me in the direction to start looking, I'd appreciate it.

For reference help: I actually DO get EHCI to show up, and any devices attached will appear in system profiler during boot. Hot-plugging doesn't work, however, and no disk-type devices will be appear via Disk Utility. Devices inserted after boot do not show up in refreshes of System Profiler.

This happens no matter what kexts I use.

And I'm actually back in the JaS 10.4.8 build right now and I've realized something: I DID get better hardware support with Uphuck v1.3. Back to the drawing board...

Hey guys. I'm having the same buffer issue that was just remedied by lennyb. I do happen to have a JaS 10.4.8 dvd, but I can't seem to find the AppleAPIC.kext or AppleMPIC.kext folders on it. Are they inside the Extensions.mkext file? If so, how would I go about extracting them without a working Mac environment within which to do so? Thanks.

I tried that and this is what happens.

62688IMG_1333%20(Medium).JPG

This message loops:

40127IMG_1332%20(Medium).JPG

The VID messages show that the system doesn't want to load your GMA900 video driver. You might try reinstalling without choosing a video driver and see if it will boot with generic VESA video.

Or, if you can get hold of a 10.4.8 system, you might try taking the AppleAPIC and AppleMPIC kexts and replacing the 10.4.9 versions. I'd be curious to know whether this resolves the startup problem but messes up mounting of other IDE partitions for you, as it did on my system. (I don't think the InsanelyMac rules permit those files to be uploaded directly in a post.)

hangler, I know it might not be what you're aiming for, but since you're using sigmatel for audio have you tried the audioHDA patch (1.16 for osx 10.4.9?) The ethernet issue is one that sounds complicated to me as well.

If you do try it you'll also need a Linux codec dump (for me I used sigmatel 9250 because that was my laptop's chipset.) however, the dumps are linked from the IM thread on first page, and just select the proper one for your chipset. (could be 9200 or 9250 like mine or similar).

Search for "audiohda patch" on IM forums and you'll find it likely even on the first page, sorry I haven't the time to do the link...there might be someone else who could lead you that way.

Hope that helps.

Tom A.

Plus: You know what, my sound chip set on my laptop didn't work even with proper sound driver installed either, so we're in same boat in that respect.

Thanks Tom, following your advice I downloaded the audioHDA 1.16 but, as you say, it expect me to drag a linux codec which, honestly I have no clue where or which I must choose. So, I downloaded a AppleHDA.kext from an older version 10.4.3, and I overwrite that file in /System/Library/Extensions/ clearing cache, repaired permissions and it worked!...

Also I have now my network card functioning using a AppleIntel8255x.kext from an older version 10.4.6 So... This is looking promising, I´want to stop using Vista as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help, you really pointed me in the right direction.

:)