[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

@lottenow @PC IT @hohoho @MICKHAEL It appears that at least 5 of us are all having the same problem - no ability to have Big Sur read our AHCI-connected drives.  Since I have a fully-functioning installation on a USB drive, I swapped the IOAHCIFamily.kext from Catalina with the Big Sur version.  I was able to boot to Big Sur on the USB drive but it didn't change anything - I couldn't see my internal drives.  I will experiment with that a bit more before I rule it a complete failure and will report back.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[mention=2453806]lottenow[/mention] [mention=2061806]PC IT[/mention] [mention=1197538]hohoho[/mention] [mention=594753]MICKHAEL[/mention] It appears that at least 5 of us are all having the same problem - no ability to have Big Sur read our AHCI-connected drives.  Since I have a fully-functioning installation on a USB drive, I swapped the IOAHCIFamily.kext from Catalina with the Big Sur version.  I was able to boot to Big Sur on the USB drive but it didn't change anything - I couldn't see my internal drives.  I will experiment with that a bit more before I rule it a complete failure and will report back.  
Yes. That's kind of work around, but just like you say... we could use something like I understand now it's happening with WiFi kext. It injecting Catalina's WIFI driver.

Trimis de pe al meu Pixel folosind Tapatalk

My Big Sur beta 2 install booting with OC 0.6.0 in this mobo sometimes freezes after using it for about 15-20 minutes, experiencing the issue while trying to open different apps, not just one in particular. I was wondering if some of you are experiencing the same problem and if it can be just a bug of a beta or if there’s a setting or configuration in OC that needs a fix. I’ll upload my efi folder later today when I access my computer.

On a side note, I had a problem with my Big Sur build on mobo GA-Z97-HD3 while booting OC consisting of not being able to access the BIOS and I figured out the problem was related to using Bootstrap in OpenCore. The moment I changed the OC booting entry back to Bootx64.efi using EasyUEFI in Windows, the issue was gone. I read in the OC configuration that some systems don’t react well to bootstrap and this may could have been a side effect of it.  I’m also interested in knowing more about the best way to boot Big Sur and Windows through OpenCore without OC messing Windows by altering the ACPI environment. I see that there’s a NDK release of OpenCore which was not altering ACPI in Windows but not sure it can boot Big Sur.  Maybe some of the moderators and colleagues can give some light about it.

Edited by jlrycm

53 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

@lottenow @PC IT @hohoho @MICKHAEL It appears that at least 5 of us are all having the same problem - no ability to have Big Sur read our AHCI-connected drives.  Since I have a fully-functioning installation on a USB drive, I swapped the IOAHCIFamily.kext from Catalina with the Big Sur version.  I was able to boot to Big Sur on the USB drive but it didn't change anything - I couldn't see my internal drives.  I will experiment with that a bit more before I rule it a complete failure and will report back.  

Thank you all for the efforts to solve the problem in Bigsur ahci not detected, testing many possible solutions, , even seal disable, never shows the ahci for skylake laptops, system boots well only from usb ssd disk, i am thinking to change the port name , sata1 to usb, we may need a patch for that , either rename in dsdt, or fake pci relector kext, also possible try is to have r/w bigsur disk image to try on our systems , we may find the difference, we are on the same boat, hope to find a sooner solution.

can anyone who successfully installed bigsur with read/write, seal removed,  make us a disk image so we can test? waiting help from others. thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnfesq said:

Using Catalina's IOAHCIFamily.kext has not been a complete failure.  It took a few tries to get it to load but once it loaded, it was able to recognize the presence of the devices but could not recognize sufficient information to initialize them.  Here's what I got:

Spoiler

Screenshot-SATA.thumb.jpg.ccc792f939b2e63484c129ed71e4e36b.jpg

If anyone has suggestions as to where to go from here, let me know.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

Using Catalina's IOAHCIFamily.kext has not been a complete failure.  It took a few tries to get it to load but once it loaded, it was able to recognize the presence of the devices but could not recognize sufficient information to initialize them.  Here's what I got:

Hide contents

Screenshot-SATA.thumb.jpg.ccc792f939b2e63484c129ed71e4e36b.jpg

If anyone has suggestions as to where to go from here, let me know.

@mnfesq: Are you using OC or Clover?

If OC, remove the all SATA patches (e.g. SAT0 => SATA, etc) and see if it works.

Also, you should try injecting via DeviceProperties on OC, use Hackintool to get the Device Path and input the "name" as String (e.g. pci8086,a103).

How did you achieve that? Did you have to "unseal" your sealed System partition? Does the Recovery 11.0 recognises them under Disk Utility or diskutil?

Let me know! Well done!

6 minutes ago, lottenow said:

@mnfesq: Are you using OC or Clover?

If OC, remove the all SATA patches (e.g. SAT0 => SATA, etc) and see if it works.

Also, you should try injecting via DeviceProperties on OC, use Hackintool to get the Device Path and input the "name" as String (e.g. pci8086,a103).

How did you achieve that? Did you have to "unseal" your sealed System partition? Does the Recovery 11.0 recognises them under Disk Utility or diskutil?

Let me know! Well done!

I am using Clover to boot to Big Sur although I am able to boot via OC as well.  I did not need to unseal anything to use the Catalina version of IOAHCIFamily.kext.  Since I have Big Sur on a USB drive, I booted to Catalina on my laptop with the USB drive connected and just copied the Catalina kext to Big Sur's S/L/E.  Unsealing only applies to installers, not already-installed systems.  As far as injection goes, it doesn't appear to be necessary.  Big Sur properly identifies my VID/PID as 8086,9D03:

Spoiler

IOReg-SATA.thumb.jpg.a97cde3645d0a94fb911937c451277a6.jpg

So it might be as @ameenjuz suggested - that this is a bug in Big Sur that will need to be resolved in later beta versions.  At least, I hope it will.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

I am using Clover to boot to Big Sur although I am able to boot via OC as well.  I did not need to unseal anything to use the Catalina version of IOAHCIFamily.kext.  Since I have Big Sur on a USB drive, I booted to Catalina on my laptop with the USB drive connected and just copied the Catalina kext to Big Sur's S/L/E.  Unsealing only applies to installers, not already-installed systems.  As far as injection goes, it doesn't appear to be necessary.  Big Sur properly identifies my VID/PID as 8086,9D03:

Hide contents

IOReg-SATA.thumb.jpg.a97cde3645d0a94fb911937c451277a6.jpg

So it might be as @ameenjuz suggested - that this is a bug in Big Sur that will need to be resolved in later beta versions.  At least, I hope it will.

look like your ioregistry you are still using SATA patch,  remove all patches related to sata

and also remove Catalina's IOAHCIFamily.kext replace original one

try boot usb 3 installer which i m using

look at my ioregistry screenshot

Spoiler

image.png.2530c6dc2f5c6d1b90a504e500e0c4a5.png

Edited by ameenjuz
edited

21 minutes ago, ameenjuz said:

look like your ioregistry you are still using SATA patch,  remove all patches related to sata

and also remove Catalina's IOAHCIFamily.kext replace original one

try boot usb 3 installer which i m using

look at my ioregistry screenshot

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2530c6dc2f5c6d1b90a504e500e0c4a5.png

Thanks for your suggestion but I was trying that weeks ago with no luck.  I even tried removing all DSDT/SSDT's yesterday and it doesn't work. Period.  I'm glad your system works OOB without any patches or modified kexts but that is not my experience nor the experience of the other 4 people I am working with to resolve this.  If you have any ideas other than to try the vanilla method once again, I would appreciate your input.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

Thanks for your suggestion but I was trying that weeks ago with no luck.  I even tried removing all DSDT/SSDT's yesterday and it doesn't work. Period.  I'm glad your system works OOB without any patches or modified kexts but that is not my experience nor the experience of the other 4 people I am working with to resolve this.  If you have any ideas other than to try the vanilla method once again, I would appreciate your input.

i m not using modified kext i think that misunderstanding

only remove sata related patch  and don't remove another patch

if anyone have realmac as a kabylake then they will be checked SATA Controller

we hope that anyone will find solution sooner

sorry for my poor english  isn't my native language

8 hours ago, d5aqoep said:

Try this kext patch

• AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion       0F84B003 0000       660F1F44 0000

This patch also worked for my AQN107 for my on board Aquantia NiC on my TRX40 board, thank you.

1 hour ago, ameenjuz said:

i m not using modified kext i think that misunderstanding

only remove sata related patch  and don't remove another patch

if anyone have realmac as a kabylake then they will be checked SATA Controller

we hope that anyone will find solution sooner

sorry for my poor english  isn't my native language

@ameenjuz haha, I would like to try to boot already installed system on USB, but I got this screen. btw. install are booting without this bug. regards

i will try -disablegfxfirmware, maybe maybe

Edited by MICKHAEL

22 minutes ago, MICKHAEL said:

@ameenjuz haha, I would like to try to boot already installed system on USB, but I got this screen. btw. install are booting without this bug. regards

i will try -disablegfxfirmware, maybe maybe

Yes, definitely use -disablegfxfirmware to get rid of the problem of the igpu boot loop.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

Yes, definitely use -disablegfxfirmware to get rid of the problem of the igpu boot loop.

yes. its better, but in final stage of booting, its stuck, already for 30 minutes, on final APPLE loading screen after all verbose text. strange 
could be that USB3 port works on USB2 speed... but 30 minutes its something ..

Edited by MICKHAEL

45 minutes ago, MICKHAEL said:

yes. its better, but in final stage of booting, its stuck, already for 30 minutes, on final APPLE loading screen after all verbose text. strange 
could be that USB3 port works on USB2 speed... but 30 minutes its something ..

I get that with the new Clover v.5120.  I don't get that with the modified Clover version I picked up several pages ago in this thread.

8 hours ago, mnfesq said:

I get that with the new Clover v.5120.  I don't get that with the modified Clover version I picked up several pages ago in this thread.

Ohooo, interesting. I will try then tomorrow with that patched 5119
Thanks

UPDATE: stuck on same APPLE screen

Edited by MICKHAEL

10 hours ago, mnfesq said:

@mnfesq & others: Can I ask you whether you can boot to Catalina with the same OC/Clover configuration as Big Sur?

I am now wondering whether the installer can be patched at all... and if so, how? I do not think OC can patch the installer, because whenever I block the "IOAHCIFamily.kext" and "IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext" under Kernel > Block properties, they are still being loaded.

I checked under Terminal during Install.

I am now trying to mess with my configuration to see if I can get the SATA controller recognised natively...

@ameenjuz: Do you have the decompiled .asl of your DSDT?

Great work guys!

Edited by lottenow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lottenow said:

[mention=270804]mnfesq[/mention] & others: Can I ask you whether you can boot to Catalina with the same OC/Clover configuration as Big Sur?

I am now wondering whether the installer can be patched at all... and if so, how? I do not think OC can patch the installer, because whenever I block the "IOAHCIFamily.kext" and "IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext" under Kernel > Block properties, they are still being loaded.

I checked under Terminal during Install.

I am now trying to mess with my configuration to see if I can get the SATA controller recognised natively...

[mention=1517934]ameenjuz[/mention]: Do you have the decompiled .asl of your DSDT?

Great work guys!

Hello. Yes. Clover (5120 or patched 5119) configuration are booting both, Catalina and Big Sur install.

But, Big Sur already installed just stuck on image 

Spoiler

IMG_20200722_025915.thumb.jpg.567fedf70278e0b4b1d4fb8295912ad9.jpg

Trimise pe al meu Pixel folosind Tapatalk

Edited by MICKHAEL

6 minutes ago, MICKHAEL said:

Hello. Yes. Clover (5120 or patched 5119) configuration are booting both, Catalina and Big Sur install.

But, Big Sur already installed just stuck on imagead201a50c5bff87924045589d9f288cc.jpg&key=ee71e204200149ff3d1999fd81ac47c19ebe3f870cca2707540ecd192acb616a

Add -v boot-flag to show verbose.

• Like 1

Okay, interesting find. Although, no success.... I have modified the SATA-unsopported.kext as followings:

Spoiler

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
	<string>Version 0.9.2, Copyright 2018, RehabMan (GPLv2)</string>
	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>org.rehabman.injector.SATA-unsupported</string>
	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
	<string>6.0</string>
	<key>CFBundleName</key>
	<string>SATA-unsupported</string>
	<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
	<string>KEXT</string>
	<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
	<string>0.9.2</string>
	<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
	<string>????</string>
	<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
	<string>0.9.2</string>
	<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Intel100Series-AHCI-unsupported</key>
		<dict>
			<string>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</string>
			<key>Chipset Name</key>
			<string>100 Series Chipset</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>AppleACPIPCI</string>
			<key>IONameMatch</key>
			<array>
				<string>pci8086,a103</string>
			</array>
			<key>IOProbeScore</key>
			<integer>900</integer>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
			<key>Vendor Name</key>
			<string>Intel</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Local-Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

And I can actually see that the correct SATA controller is being loaded, pci8086,a103, yet no SATA drive under Disk Utility/diskutil? Weird... it does match what I see in Catalina as well in terms of IOReg.

Spoiler

Schermata 2020-07-22 alle 20.44.44.png

Spoiler

14393A7B-AE2C-42AB-B8F1-DA278F691CA9.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lottenow said:

Okay, interesting find. Although, no success.... I have modified the SATA-unsopported.kext as followings:

Reveal hidden contents

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
	<string>Version 0.9.2, Copyright 2018, RehabMan (GPLv2)</string>
	<string>org.rehabman.injector.SATA-unsupported</string>
	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
	<string>6.0</string>
	<key>CFBundleName</key>
	<string>SATA-unsupported</string>
	<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
	<string>KEXT</string>
	<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
	<string>0.9.2</string>
	<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
	<string>????</string>
	<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
	<string>0.9.2</string>
	<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Intel100Series-AHCI-unsupported</key>
		<dict>
			<string>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</string>
			<key>Chipset Name</key>
			<string>100 Series Chipset</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>AppleACPIPCI</string>
			<key>IONameMatch</key>
			<array>
				<string>pci8086,a103</string>
			</array>
			<key>IOProbeScore</key>
			<integer>900</integer>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
			<key>Vendor Name</key>
			<string>Intel</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Local-Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

And I can actually see that the correct SATA controller is being loaded, pci8086,a103, yet no SATA drive under Disk Utility/diskutil? Weird... it does match what I see in Catalina as well in terms of IOReg.

Reveal hidden contents

Schermata 2020-07-22 alle 20.44.44.png

Reveal hidden contents

14393A7B-AE2C-42AB-B8F1-DA278F691CA9.jpeg

The only difference I see is that the device name in Big Sur is pci8086,a102 with a compatibility device name of pci8086,a103 and in Catalina, the device name is pci8086,a103 without the compatibility id.  I'm not sure what the impact, if any, is of that fact since my SATA controller is supported OOB - pci8086,9d03 so it can't be that device id spoofing doesn't work in Big Sur.

• Like 1