[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, d5aqoep said:

It works but Clover log says port limit reached. So need new kext patch.

The 15 port limit is enforced since Catalina. This is not new to Big Sur. You should use it to configure your system to be under 15 ports as per Apple’ specification.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest ricoc90
1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Yep, I don't have Wifi on my rig

Yep, there you go. I've experienced the same thing on my (unsupported) Mac Mini so it isn't just a hackintosh thing.

36 minutes ago, Alex HQuest said:

The 15 port limit is enforced since Catalina. This is not new to Big Sur. You should use it to configure your system to be under 15 ports as per Apple’ specification.

Its 15 port limit per controller, not the entire system.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, d5aqoep said:

Hi Pavo, can you help me to enable USB 3 ports on my MSI X299 system with DP2 installed?

USB port mapping hasn't changed with BigSur. So.... if you mapped your ports correctly, your USB 3 ports should work without issues.

• Like 2

@lvs1974 thanks to support to work wifi in Big Sur 

but AirportBrcmFixup.kext still persist problem to finding the network 

when i click wifi icon it is not scanning network automatically

this is work only in system preference

i attached blow

Spoiler
Spoiler

677412457_ScreenShot2020-07-19at8_25_30PM.jpg.2a5dbb24c6016594205793923165641a.jpg

1113864092_ScreenShot2020-07-19at8_25_01PM.jpg.a51b9f8c0daa9edaa81f55afacf8a30f.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ameenjuz said:

@lvs1974 thanks to support to work wifi in Big Sur 

but AirportBrcmFixup.kext still persist problem to finding the network 

when i click wifi icon it is not scanning network automatically

this is work only in system preference

i attached blow

Hide contents
  Reveal hidden contents

677412457_ScreenShot2020-07-19at8_25_30PM.jpg.2a5dbb24c6016594205793923165641a.jpg

1113864092_ScreenShot2020-07-19at8_25_01PM.jpg.a51b9f8c0daa9edaa81f55afacf8a30f.jpg

Thats not a kext injection issue, that's how wifi works in BigSur, you scan networks in the menu bar or in Network section of System Preferences.

Screenshot 2020-07-19 15.19.44.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Pavo 

1 hour ago, Pavo said:

Thats not a kext injection issue, that's how wifi works in BigSur, you scan networks in the menu bar or in Network section of System Preferences

thanks pavo for information i was wrong

Spoiler

2083296217_ScreenShot2020-07-19at10_39_50PM.jpg.05bd36f380686522c71d7ff31cbc9db1.jpg

interrupting phase3 installation to avoid snapshot and sealing but after installation still macOS Installer icon exist in boot menu

how to remove this i already reset nvram not removing icon

Spoiler

19195409.thumb.png.126ca02dbf75a70e00b3c42ab0d82ff1.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ameenjuz said:

interrupting phase3 installation to avoid snapshot and sealing but after installation still macOS Installer icon exist in boot menu

Reveal hidden contents

19195409.thumb.png.126ca02dbf75a70e00b3c42ab0d82ff1.png

Well.... interrupting an installation phase that shouldn't be interrupted is going to have unforeseen consequences.

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Pavo yep, I agree. I had the same result when I couldn't complete the installation (due to reboots). Personally I don't see it as a problem. It's kind of how it's supposed to work, for what I'm concerned. And...now that I was able to fix whatever was holding it back and finish the installation successfully, the "installer" volume is gone from the boot picker and I've only got the main BigSur boot volume and the corresponding Recovery partition.

@ameenjuz Sorry, I haven't followed along with all the discussion. But...I'm curious, is the system bootable at this stage? I mean, if you try to select BigSur, can you successfully boot it? Cause if you can...then I guess it's probably only a matter of cleaning up the installation files. And about that, aren't the installation files placed onto the root of the system partition with Big Sur? If so, have you tried deleting them? I think they should be in a folder called "macOS install data". I'm sorry if I'm talking non-sense. Just trying to help. So please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Edited by arsradu

2 hours ago, ameenjuz said:

15 minutes ago, arsradu said:

@ameenjuz it's probably only a matter of cleaning up the installation files.

Just mount the Big_Sur Preboot volume, then delete/remove the boot.efi file from the hidden folder /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID/com.apple.installer...

eg

fusion71au@fusion71aus-iMac ~ % diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *53.7 GB    disk0
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk2⁩         53.5 GB    disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *53.7 GB    disk1
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk3⁩         53.5 GB    disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +53.5 GB    disk2
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨macOS — Data⁩            5.2 GB     disk2s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 83.7 MB    disk2s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                528.8 MB   disk2s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 MB     disk2s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨macOS⁩                   11.0 GB    disk2s5

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +53.5 GB    disk3
                                 Physical Store disk1s2
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨Big_Sur — Data⁩          3.1 GB     disk3s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 320.4 MB   disk3s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                833.9 MB   disk3s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 MB     disk3s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨Big_Sur⁩                 13.7 GB    disk3s5

fusion71au@fusion71aus-iMac ~ % sudo diskutil mount disk3s2
Password:
Volume Preboot on disk3s2 mounted
fusion71au@fusion71aus-iMac ~ % ls -l /System/Volumes/Preboot 
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  12 fusion71au  staff  384 18 Jul 19:39 B6AB1C78-8039-45DD-B98A-4DF87261D0BA
fusion71au@fusion71aus-iMac ~ % ls -l /System/Volumes/Preboot/B6AB1C78-8039-45DD-B98A-4DF87261D0BA
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  87 fusion71au  staff  2784 18 Jul 17:22 Firmware
drwxr-xr-x   4 root        wheel   128 18 Jul 18:53 Library
drwxr-xr-x   4 root        staff   128 18 Jul 18:59 PreLoginData
drwxr-xr-x   4 fusion71au  staff   128 18 Jul 19:40 System
drwxr-xr-x   3 fusion71au  staff    96 18 Jul 17:22 boot
d-w-r-xr--  80 root        admin  2560 20 Jul 08:32 com.apple.installer
drwxr-xr-x   3 root        wheel    96 18 Jul 17:35 restore
drwxr-xr-x   3 fusion71au  staff    96 18 Jul 17:22 usr
drwxr-xr-x   3 root        wheel    96 18 Jul 17:29 var
fusion71au@fusion71aus-iMac ~ % sudo mv /System/Volumes/Preboot/B6AB1C78-8039-45DD-B98A-4DF87261D0BA/com.apple.installer/boot.efi /Users/fusion71au/Downloads/Backups
Password:

Spoiler

418534181_BigSurPrebootInstallerdeleteboot_efi.thumb.png.091b0f05012a628e63dd6d27f5653a8a.png

Press <Command><Shift><.> to show hidden files in Finder.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 9:29 AM, gengik84 said:

Or...

Eg: if you don't have separate drive for modify UpdateOption.plist
After first phase, boot installer again, open terminal and write

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set DoNotSeal true" /volumes/bigsur/"macos install data"/UpdateOptions.plist 

reboot

note: change /volumes/bigsur with your /volumes/disk_name

@fusion71au thanks great guide  worked

you are always understanding my point that what i want 

now i m going to testing above procedure of this @gengik84 to disabling the sealing only

after that deleting snapshot

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ameenjuz said:

@fusion71au thanks great guide  worked

you are always understanding my point that what i want 

now i m going to testing above procedure of this @gengik84 to disabling the sealing only

after that deleting snapshot

When opting for DoNotSeal true, for some reason, I cannot delete snapshot following @fusion71au's great guide.  The system always returns with operation not permitted when trying to tag snapshot.  Please do let me know, how yours goes. Thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fusion71au said:

Just mount the Big_Sur Preboot volume, then delete/remove the boot.efi file from the hidden folder /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID/com.apple.installer...

I see... :D Didn't know that. Thank you! :) 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I have been using OpenCore 0.5.2 for a long time. Everything worked great here and I had no disadvantages. Now I have ventured for a new version (0.6.0).

Unfortunately, I now have the problem that I can no longer get into my BIOS. After pressing F2, the black screen (monitor is on) and the flashing stroke and mouse cursor (movable) come, but nothing else happens.

I have already read that I should reset the NVRAM in OpenCore, but unfortunately it didn't help.

I could also reflash the BIOS, but I would like to keep free as a last option that otherwise all settings will be lost.

Furthermore, I can't write NVRAM variables over the boot process, which means that after booting, self-set variables have disappeared again. I think both problems are related.

Main GIGA Z97M-D3H.

22 hours ago, Alex HQuest said:

You likely has something identified to macOS as a battery source (Corsair’s CommanderPro USB module is the most common), which reports 0% charge. This causes the installer to fail, since any battery below a certain threshold will cause the installer to fail, even on real Apple hardware.

Thanks @Alex HQuest I disconnect Corsair’s CommanderPro Now Its worked.

You save lots time for me.

Edited by nmano
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nmano said:
Thanks [mention=85724]Alex HQuest[/mention] I disconnect Corsair’s CommanderPro Now Its worked.
You save lots time for me.

And once your up and running you should be able to exclude that port if you choose to reconnect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AppleBreak said:

When opting for DoNotSeal true, for some reason, I cannot delete snapshot following @fusion71au's great guide.  The system always returns with operation not permitted when trying to tag snapshot.  Please do let me know, how yours goes. Thanks.

@fusion71au Yes i have same issue

DoNotSeal true, for some reason, I cannot delete snapshot too after installation

following

operation not permitted when trying to tag snapshot

so, after struggling for a week in order to modify IO80211Family.kext on S/L/E on big sur beta 1 (and never succeeded), today i decide to do clean installation big sur beta 2. then, surprise...!!! my dw1820a is fully working now, with latest airportbrcmfixup.kext and usual setting on config.plist/device properties (just like on catalina).
i'm so happy but still confused, is the big sur beta 2 fixing the IO80211Family.kext to support dw1820a/bcm94350?

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 21.41.17.png

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 1:01 AM, mnfesq said:

I have tried just about every possible configuration of OC and Clover.  With both bootloaders, I can boot to the USB installer or to a USB hard drive with an installation of Big Sur on it (made on a real Mac).  No matter what configuration I use, or what drivers I use or what kexts I use, or what DSDT/SSDT I use, I cannot get any of the plugins for IOAHCIFamily.kext to work. (I have a DVD drive on my laptop so both SATA and ATAPI devices cannot be read). At this point, I am thinking that the issue may likely be the BIOS on my HP laptop.  It cannot be configured and all advanced options are locked. However, SATA is set to AHCI so it should work.  I am at a loss to understand what to do next.

P.S. I took out my SATA hard drive and slipped it into a USB adapter and was able to install Big Sur on it. I then put it back into the SATA slot in the laptop and it could no longer be located when booting up.

@mnfesq: Hey, thanks for your sum up.

So, here is what I have tried so far:

1) Using SATA-100-unsupported.kext only

2) Using SATA-unsupported.kext only

3) Injecting pci8086,a103 under DeviceProperty

4) Both 3) + 1) and 3) + 2)

5) Booting without any SATA-related kext or property

6) Injecting solely pci8086,a102 (SkyLake spoof)

7) Injecting solely pci8086,9d03 (Laptop spoof)

None of the above seems to be working for me. I asked for more support from the OpenCore team on GitHub, but I do not have the required expertise to continue with what they are asking.

What SATA controller does your machine have? You can find this in Windows > Device Manager or under macOS using Hackintool, PCIE list. It contains both the Device Path (PciRoot...) and the Property Name (pci8086,a103 in my case).

Could it be that the APFS volume is somewhat sealed and therefore cannot be read by OC?

I think the problem lies with OpenCore as I cannot boot in Catalina with the latest commits using the same configuration as for Big Sur. I have to use a different OC configuration for Catalina. Again, I do not have the required knowledge to debug this.

Let me know your thoughts!

Edited by lottenow
  • Like 1

Guest ricoc90
1 hour ago, aryaone said:

i'm so happy but still confused, is the big sur beta 2 fixing the IO80211Family.kext to support dw1820a/bcm94350?

Nah, latest airportbrcmfixup.kext injects the old Broadcom kexts. Wish I'd have found out about that sooner, lol

Edited by ricoc90