[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

Spoiler 14393A7B-AE2C-42AB-B8F1-DA278F691CA9.thumb.jpeg.c3b656d8abe997f95a25cfd43d121fec.jpeg

The only difference I see is that the device name in Big Sur is pci8086,a102 with a compatibility device name of pci8086,a103 and in Catalina, the device name is pci8086,a103 without the compatibility id.  I'm not sure what the impact, if any, is of that fact since my SATA controller is supported OOB - pci8086,9d03 so it can't be that device id spoofing doesn't work in Big Sur.
Okay, interesting. In Catalina I have pci8086,a102

Trimis de pe al meu Pixel folosind Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, mnfesq said:
  Reveal hidden contents

14393A7B-AE2C-42AB-B8F1-DA278F691CA9.jpeg

The only difference I see is that the device name in Big Sur is pci8086,a102 with a compatibility device name of pci8086,a103 and in Catalina, the device name is pci8086,a103 without the compatibility id.  I'm not sure what the impact, if any, is of that fact since my SATA controller is supported OOB - pci8086,9d03 so it can't be that device id spoofing doesn't work in Big Sur.

I realised after and changed it to a103 via OpenCore. Still, no luck. Would you be able to try the kext and use your pci8086,9d03?

Check before in Terminal using ‘ioreg -l’ and after the kext with the same command. It might work for you?

Edited by lottenow

1 hour ago, PC IT said:

12 gb update, seems it has many fixes

macOS Big Sur 11 Beta 3 Release Notes

Note: For this macOS Big Sur build, you will see the full installer in the main window of the System Preferences > Software Update. If you would rather install the smaller software update, click on the "More Info" link and choose the update for this build.

Installer and Software Update

Known Issues
  • You might be unable to update macOS Big Sur 11 Beta 3, if Secure Boot is set to No Security. (63434409)

• Your Mac might restart but isn't updated to a newer version of macOS Big Sur 11 Beta. (65298753)

Workaround: Create a bootable installer using the createinstallmedia command.

• When updating to macOS Big Sur 11 Beta 3, you might be offered an unexpectedly large download rather than an incremental software update. (65753086)

Workaround: Under the "Another update is available" text, click the "More info…" link. This will reveal the incremental update where you can click the Install Now button.

• You might need to adjust Energy Saver settings so your Mac doesn't go to sleep while preparing to install macOS Big Sur 11 beta. (63166401)

• APFS containers with non-default allocation block sizes aren't currently supported for installation. (64312561)

• If macOS Big Sur 11 beta is installed into the same APFS container as previous versions of macOS Catalina 10.15, system software updates can no longer be installed on the previous versions of macOS. (64411484)

Workaround: Update the previous version of macOS Catalina to 10.15.6.

Resolved in macOS Big Sur 11 Beta 3
  • Installations no longer pause on Macs that don't have input devices connected. (64348347)

• You can now install macOS Big Sur 11 beta 3 onto additional volumes. (63677460, 64445236)

• Software Update now correctly indicates that your Mac is enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program. (64407436)

• It's no longer necessary to update to an intermediate macOS release before installing macOS Big Sur 11 beta 3. (64314272)

• If you updated to macOS Big Sur 11 beta from a previous version of macOS, Software Update now works as expected. (63158434)

Edited by Alex HQuest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TA-DA!!!!!Finder.thumb.jpg.13917d96216e601a40dae5f89e145314.jpg

Want to know what made Big Sur detect my internal drives?

Spoiler

I installed the VoodooI2C kexts -- VoodooI2C.zip

I have been having problems with my trackpad in Big Sur so I thought I would try the I2C kexts to see if that would help.  It didn't help my trackpad but it sure found my internal drives.  Interestingly, they are detected in disk utility as external drives.  Nonetheless, they are finally there.  Hope this works for the rest of you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Alex HQuest @Rocky12 thanks for information

12 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

TA-DA!!!!!Finder.thumb.jpg.13917d96216e601a40dae5f89e145314.jpg

Want to know what made Big Sur detect my internal drives?

Reveal hidden contents

I installed the VoodooI2C kexts -- VoodooI2C.zip

I have been having problems with my trackpad in Big Sur so I thought I would try the I2C kexts to see if that would help.  It didn't help my trackpad but it sure found my internal drives.  Interestingly, they are detected in disk utility as external drives.  Nonetheless, they are finally there.  Hope this works for the rest of you.

Finally detect your internal SSD beta 3

Edited by ameenjuz
edited

macOS Big Sur 11 beta 3 (20A5323l)

July 22, 2020

Users on macOS Big Sur 10.16 beta 1 or 2 will see the full install image for macOS Big Sur 11 beta 3 in the Software Update panel, rather than a smaller incremental update image. To download the incremental update image, click “More Info…” in the Software Update panel. Either image can be used to install beta 3

The fact is that even Apple does not know if it is 11.0 or 10.16.  :lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mnfesq said:

Not beta 3, just found the VoodooI2C kexts did it.  You use those too, don't you?

which one of them? all? interesting.. what do they have to do with sata

Was anyone able to upgrade directly from Beta 2 to 3 using OC 0.6.0 and recent kexts?

I had FileVault enabled on this system. 

And it failed on the first restart after typing my FileVault password. 

(No disk activity, mouse and keyboard are shut down).

Trying again, this time without FileVault encryption.

24 minutes ago, fantomas said:

The fact is that even Apple does not know if it is 11.0 or 10.16.  :lol:

• The system ProductVersion is reported as 11.0 only on the Developer Transition Kit at this time. Existing Mac systems will temporarily report the value as 10.16.

I don't see any reference to that note of yours on the official Release notes. Nowhere to be found any verbiage of Beta 2 on it.

Edited by Alex HQuest