[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Hi guys, I'm trying to make a fresh installation of Big Sur and...apparently I can't. It always reboots (looks like it's around the ramrod section). For what I could see online, you're supposed to either use VirtualSMC with boot-arg vsmcgen=1, oor use FakeSMC instead. Well, I tried both, including building Lilu + VirtualSMC from source. Nothing seems to work.

I didn't follow this thread from the beginning, so if this has been discussed before, and if that fix still works with Beta 2, could you, please, help me with a link?

Apparently starting the installation from Big Sur itself doesn't work (error: "Current device configuration and target is invalid for install in the current state. Please try again.") and installation from a USB drive doesn't work either (reboot). The only method that worked for me so far is installing it over Catalina. But that's not a clean install.

So...any idea? Am I missing something? I'm using OC 0.6.0 (built from sources).

Hi @arsradu, how are you my friend?

From my limited knowledge the boot.arg vsmcgen=1 isn't necessary anymore with last commits from OpenCore and new kexts, today I installed macOS Big Sur in another ssd that I own and all went well I upload my config.plist for you to see if it helps.

Good luck

config.plist

• Like 2

Why is Big Sur the default boot in both OC and Clover, clearing NVRAM does not fix the problem ?

Or am I the only one with this problem ?

Edit:

Fixed the problem by hiding it in Clover

Edited by STLVNUB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, STLVNUB said:

Why is Big Sur the default boot loader in both OC and Clover, clearing NVRAM does not fix the problem ?

Today I connected my windows ssd and I had to go to system preferences and change the default from windows 10 to macOS Big Sur...

• Like 1

Why is Big Sur the default boot loader in both OC and Clover, clearing NVRAM does not fix the problem ?

press ctrl+macos entry number key

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sherlocks said:

press ctrl+macos entry number key

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Clover still persists in booting Big Sur

If I'm understood, are you try choose a startup disk? Try on boot make a choice your disk that you want, and type ctrl+i and ctrl + enter, so to the next boot  you get the disk default bootloader. But all the time that you reset Nvram you need type again. 

Don't forget put a number in boot timeout...non zero...

Hi All

I can't Install.

If I choose Install  Hard Drive->back to this screen same time.

How to fix this error?

:thanks_speechbubble:

image0.thumb.jpeg.d55a71c0851b07ce2f325c437034b32d.jpeg

9 hours ago, MorenoAv said:

Hi @arsradu, how are you my friend?

From my limited knowledge the boot.arg vsmcgen=1 isn't necessary anymore with last commits from OpenCore and new kexts, today I installed macOS Big Sur in another ssd that I own and all went well I upload my config.plist for you to see if it helps.

Good luck

config.plist

Hello! :) I'm ok, just a bit frustrated with this issue. Can't seem to get it to boot into the 2nd/3rd step of the installer... All good until then. But then, it shows this screen, then a few more lines underneath and sudden reboot. With or without vsmcgen=1 (which I now removed since I already have the newest Lilu + VirtualSMC), same thing...

I'll try to start it all over, in case that makes any difference...

Spoiler

IMG_0023.thumb.jpg.2c7c31e8e10d12890d5f1866aeb14d54.jpg

• Sad 2

@arsradu,

That screen is the screen of death, it was what happened to me in the first try at install Big Sur beta 1 ... after that with the new commits of OpenCore and new kexts never happened again... but you can do it I know it's a question of time... 

Edited by MorenoAv
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MorenoAv said:

@arsradu,

That screen is the screen of death, it was what happened to me in the first try at install Big Sur beta 1 ... after that with the new commits of OpenCore and new kexts never happened again... but you can do it I know it's a question of time... 

Freaking finally! Done. Installed. God dang it!

Looks like you were right. It was only a matter of time...and perseverance. :))

Now, the question is: what was different?

Well, quite a few things actually.

1. switched back to VirtualSMC from FakeSMC. Same exact version as before. So still up to date. But no other difference there.

2. erased the volume I wanted to install Big Sur on, just to make sure there's no dirt from previous attempts (I believe this might have made the entire difference here).

3. cleared NVRAM right before booting into the installer

4. added corresponding NVRAM info (boot-args, UIScale, all that) to NVRAM -> Delete, as shown in the sample.plist. Previously I didn't have it. Didn't cause any issues with Catalina, but I guess it could be different with Big Sur. 

I'm still not sure how exactly is this actually working, but I'll try to read a bit more about it. Cause, as a normal user, I find it a bit confusing.

5. added run-efi-updater to NVRAM (7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82) and set it to "No" (string).

6. added rtc-blacklist to NVRAM (4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102) but left it empty for now.

7. set csr-active-config in NVRAM to FF0F0000

One thing to note is that, in my attempts to make it boot, I also added booter-fileset-basesystem and booter-fileset-kernel to NVRAM. But that actually made things worse. It wouldn't even reach the first installer screen anymore. So, at least in my particular case, removing that also made a difference.

And there were quite a lot of restarts during this installation (about 5 if I'm not mistaken).

Anyway, it's all good now. :) Thank you very much for your support.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nmano said:

Hi All

I can't Install.

If I choose Install  Hard Drive->back to this screen same time.

How to fix this error?

:thanks_speechbubble:

You likely has something identified to macOS as a battery source (Corsair’s CommanderPro USB module is the most common), which reports 0% charge. This causes the installer to fail, since any battery below a certain threshold will cause the installer to fail, even on real Apple hardware.

• Like 1

@arsradu

Hi there,

In my experience only resetting the NVRAM and erasing the hard disk were necessary, the booter-fileset-basesystem and booter-fileset-kernel are not needed anymore with the latest releases of OC they were only needed when you wanted to boot from a preinstalled version of Big Sur.

But the reboot issue is now happens with Clover's latest releases (5120) and I think (fingers crossed) it will be resolved soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Cyberdevs Yeah, I think so, too! :D Thanks for the info! Didn't know that.

Quick question (to everyone): do you guys also experience delays showing the Volume and Wifi/Network controls in the menubar? Meaning you click the icon aaand..wait. :)) Not a lot. Only a few seconds or so. But it's not instantaneously like it was with Catalina and pretty much every other MacOS version I've tried before that.

I suppose this could also be a bug somewhere, but it doesn't occur with my MBP so...I guess it's probably specific to our "custom" setup. I'm only curious if anyone else encountered this issue.

• Like 1

[mention=1011040]Cyberdevs[/mention] Yeah, I think so, too!  Thanks for the info! Didn't know that.

Quick question (to everyone): do you guys also experience delays showing the Volume and Wifi/Network controls in the menubar? Meaning you click the icon aaand..wait. :)) Not a lot. Only a few seconds or so. But it's not instantaneously like it was with Catalina and pretty much every other MacOS version I've tried before that.

I suppose this could also be a bug somewhere, but it doesn't occur with my MBP so...I guess it's probably specific to our "custom" setup. I'm only curious if anyone else encountered this issue.

I had that delay in the menu bar when my wifi was not functioning. After getting wifi working it’s as quick as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

You're welcome man,

Yeah the delay happens to me as well, the first beta was way more responsive but the second beta is laggy, to be honest I was really impressed with the first beta's performance but this release well meh, only time will tell if that is a bug or it is how it's gonna be with the next releases.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SavageAUS said:

I had that delay in the menu bar when my wifi was not functioning. After getting wifi working it’s as quick as ever.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I don't have Wifi on my rig, so I would expect the system to be "confused" about that. :))) But the volume controls... I don't know. Those were working properly before. There's no delay when pressing the dedicated volume up/volume down keys to adjust the volume. But if you try to do it from the menubar, there's a delay.

As Cyber also said, I guess we'll see. :) Thank you very much for sharing your experience. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that this could be related to the new Kernel Collections feature. I could be wrong though... So yeah, we'll see what the future holds. So far so good. Really good job @acidanthera team.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Volume and Wifi/Network controls in the menubar shows instantly. No delay :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

@arsradu

I forgot to mention that I'm using big sur on a conventional HDD and the lags are expected but the first beta was also setup on the same rig and the performance was better, using big sur on the SSD is not that bad though.

• Like 2