Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Yesterday I've received my RTX2060FE and upon reading this (and others) long discussion I've a few points I need your help to get clarified:

• having a MacPro5,1 (2010) and an RTX2060FE (supporting bootscreen) is there any driver (patched, non-patched) that I can use on 10.13.6(SecUp2019-002) to get hardware acceleration?
  • Up to which family-chip, the current drivers released from nVidia support are officially supporting?

Thanks for your patience in answering questions maybe asked already.

Riccardo

7 hours ago, rgigante said:

Yesterday I've received my RTX2060FE and upon reading this (and others) long discussion I've a few points I need your help to get clarified:

• having a MacPro5,1 (2010) and an RTX2060FE (supporting bootscreen) is there any driver (patched, non-patched) that I can use on 10.13.6(SecUp2019-002) to get hardware acceleration?
  • Up to which family-chip, the current drivers released from nVidia support are officially supporting?

Riccardo

To my best knowledge, at this time, the 20x0 Line, (Turing Cards), ARE NOT supported in ANY MacOS.  (There was an early report that Driver 387.10.10.10.40.113 did have support in 10.13.6, but it turned out to be just a FALSE rumor.)

The 10x0 Line, (Pascal Cards), are the latest Line to be supported in MacOS 10.13.x.  NO Maxwell, Pascal, NOR Turing Cards are supported in Mojave.  ONLY Kepler Cards are supported in Mojave.

On 4/18/2019 at 12:03 AM, rgigante said:

Riccardo

I'm really puzzled by your post!  Have you read any of the other posts here?  Apple and Nvidia are both acting like jerks.  There are no Web Drivers for Mojave and no Turing Drivers for any Mac OS.  This is widely known by most folks committed to the Mac.  Articles have been written about it, Forums have many posts about it, petitions have been submitted concerning the issues.  But, the lack of information by either company is deafening in it's non-existence.

Lou 

OK, here is maybe a weird question, with background:

I want to build a new computer with more graphics capability (upgrade from GTX 1050 TI OC). Would love to install a GTX 1660 TI but don't know enough yet. I would keep High Sierra as my Mac OS (obviously).

Question: Will the nVidia Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.124 which works fine with Mac OS 10.13.6.(Build 17G6030) work with a GTX 1660 TI? It's in the 10xx series numerically but uses a TU116 core.

Makes a huge difference on my upcoming build.

Thanks for reading!

5 hours ago, wstrohm said:

OK, here is maybe a weird question, with background:

I want to build a new computer with more graphics capability (upgrade from GTX 1050 TI OC). Would love to install a GTX 1660 TI but don't know enough yet. I would keep High Sierra as my Mac OS (obviously).

Question: Will the nVidia Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.124 which works fine with Mac OS 10.13.6.(Build 17G6030) work with a GTX 1660 TI? It's in the 10xx series numerically but uses a TU116 core.

Makes a huge difference on my upcoming build.

Thanks for reading!

ONCE AGAIN, NO Turing Cards are supported in MacOS.  The GTX-1660 IS A Turing Card!

[EDIT:]

The 10x0 Line ARE Pascal Cards; NOTE - the 1[6]60 IS NOT a 10x0 Card.  It is in a class ALL by itself.  It was created to serve as a gap between the 10x0 and 20x0 Cards in Price Point, and as a "cheap" Turing Card.  It has GREAT capabilities, and is an EXCELLENT Card, BUT in NO WAY was it EVER released as a 10x0 - Pascal Model Card.

Edited by TimeLord04
Card Classification Clarification.

I thought they couldn't release drivers anymore???

Sounds like they just don't want to be forced to support Metal 2 hahahaha NVIDIA such a lazy company

Edited by Scellow

On 4/10/2019 at 8:32 AM, macwanabe said:

I only upgraded to High Sierra because I was forced to due to Resolve 16 requiring it as a minimum. Installed latest updates and .124 drivers. Running 3 monitors on 2 x 980 Ti cards, not connected in SLI on X79 Motherboard. All drivers installed successfully, but performance is horrible compared to what I had on Sierra. Its hows Metal supported in System Information. GFXBench Metal runs but onscreen I only get 19fps on 1920x1080 offscreen I get over 300fps. GFXBench OpenGL crashes and does not run. I also have a GTX 720 installed, with Apple drivers it works natively and its performance is much faster, GUI is smooth no lag. There is even lag when I type.1708067946_ScreenShot2019-04-10at09_41_29.png.f892da8588880d682ef51799575bfc42.png

I recently downloaded the latest drivers too .124, I,m running a 1050ti and I got very similar results to yours. Also I got really slow screen updates when dragging around a window. I would leave "trails" on the screen..I initially thought that I'd done something to the card, but im glad to see someone else in the same boat as me. So I put my original gfx card (Nvidia gt120) back in my Mac, and still got really slow screen updates, so I've put it down to being a {censored} driver. 

Ive looked over loads of forums to see if anyone else has had the same problem but only found you!! I cant believe that no one else has had no problems?

• Like 1

Updated both Systems to 387.10.10.10.40.127 Driver, yesterday.  No issues to report.  Number Crunching on BOINC for SETI@Home working without incident.  :)

Good luck to everyone, I hope everyone else also encounters no issues as well.

[EDIT:]

NEW CUDA Driver as well...  Now on 418.163.  <<---  Just Updated this on the Hackintosh.  Will Update the Mac Pro tomorrow.  (5-11-2019 at 3:24PM - Pacific.)

Edited by TimeLord04
New CUDA Driver: 418.163

Hey everyone, total dummy reporting in here.  My Mac is used mainly as my Plex box, VPN, DDNS, and a few other dev things. 

I updated it to the latest High Sierra build, 10.13.6 (17G7024), like a total dummy without reading anything about it.  

It totally broke the Nvidia that was working flawlessly.  I have a 750Ti flashed by MacVidCards connected to 2 Asus 23" 1080p panels.  

I'm happy to report though, that nVidia Update worked perfectly.  Here's what I did.

1. Uninstall existing nVidia drivers through the nVidia Driver Manager.  This will force a reboot.

2. After rebooting, I ran nVidia-Update, https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

-This went out and determined that 387.10.10.10.40.127 was the best version.  It downloaded it, patched it, and installed it.

3. I rebooted one last time, and it works perfectly again.

Hope this helps someone out there as it had me scared I was going to have to format and re-install.

Thanks for the advice!!

12 hours ago, ralliredgts said:

Hey everyone, total dummy reporting in here.  My Mac is used mainly as my Plex box, VPN, DDNS, and a few other dev things. 

I updated it to the latest High Sierra build, 10.13.6 (17G7024), like a total dummy without reading anything about it.  

It totally broke the Nvidia that was working flawlessly.  I have a 750Ti flashed by MacVidCards connected to 2 Asus 23" 1080p panels.  

I'm happy to report though, that nVidia Update worked perfectly.  Here's what I did.

1. Uninstall existing nVidia drivers through the nVidia Driver Manager.  This will force a reboot.

2. After rebooting, I ran nVidia-Update, https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

-This went out and determined that 387.10.10.10.40.127 was the best version.  It downloaded it, patched it, and installed it.

Hope this helps someone out there as it had me scared I was going to have to format and re-install.

Thanks for the advice!!

It worked!!! I've followed your instructions and voilà. Running flawlessly again. Thanks a lot!!!!:thumbsup_anim:

Hello everyone.

Brand new member looking for some help. I upgraded to mojave and realized soon after that this would kill my CUDA Card and GPU processing ability in After effects. I've rolled back to High Sierra but am still having problems getting CUDA support back. 

I'm currently on 10.13.6 and have tried installing the latest web driver but get the following error message. Annoying since thats exactly the software version I'm running.

I may wipe the drive and re-install High Sierra again but wanted to see if there was a fix for this incompatibility issue.

481730863_ScreenShot2019-05-14at12_09_07PM.thumb.png.2b25e69dad4d6dd514b02a3fa044647f.png.

Also where can I find the NVIDIA device manager? I can't find that via google or on Nvida's site

TIA

4 hours ago, Stixx1001 said:

Also where can I find the NVIDIA device manager? I can't find that via google or on Nvida's site

Hi. You can download the drivers easily from the Nvidia website (either www.nvidia.com or www.geforce.com) Under "Manual Driver Search", fill in the drop down menus with your system specs, then click on "Start Search" and your drivers will come up. The latest version is 387.10.10.10.40.127 and the Nvidia Device Manager is included in the file.

Anyway I strongly recommend you that read the ralliredgts post, especially the three steps mini-guide. 

22 hours ago, ralliredgts said:

Thanks for the advice!!

Hope this helps.

Ivan.

Hello, thanks for all the help, Theres a lot of good stuff there. I ran through ralledtgts post and got everything done. Unfortunately it still didn't enable my GPU. I'm looking for a specific version of the web driver based on the screen shot form adobe'a blog. But that one won't install through normal means. Is there a way to use a terminal script or the device manager to install that specific version? 

version 387.10.10.10.40.105

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.14.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.09.26 AM.png

8 minutes ago, Stixx1001 said:

Hello, thanks for all the help, Theres a lot of good stuff there. I ran through ralledtgts post and got everything done. Unfortunately it still didn't enable my GPU. I'm looking for a specific version of the web driver based on the screen shot form adobe'a blog. But that one won't install through normal means. Is there a way to use a terminal script or the device manager to install that specific version? 

version 387.10.10.10.40.105

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.14.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.09.26 AM.png

@Stixx1001

You can copy and paste In terminal the follwing:

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh) 387.10.10.10.40.105

The script will install and patch it for you..!