Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

@GhaleonX

Correct me if I'm wrong, After Effects CS6 is part of the ADOBE CS6 Suite, correct???  I believe this Suite works up to Sierra 10.12.x, and I'm NOT sure where the ".x" cuts off Support...  I've read a few Online Articles...  My Mac Pro 5,1, (in Signature), has the Sierra 10.12.1 Drive Listed...  My Sierra Drive was imaged from the guy I bought the System from, and included with that OS was my copy of ADOBE CS6.  The Articles I read and researched afterwards DID say NOT to go to 10.12.6 or parts of the ADOBE CS6 Suite "...might NOT function correctly, IF at all."

Can you Roll Back the OS Update back to El Capitan?  This MIGHT be your best bet to regain functionality of your After Effects program.  Again, as I've stated before, research your suite of software to see what limitations MAY arise BEFORE Upgrading one's OS - Including GPU Drivers.  Due to the limitations of ADOBE CS6 on my own Sierra 10.12.1 - (16B2657) w/Web Driver 367.15.10.15F03, I'm NEVER Upgrading the OS on that Drive.

IF you CANNOT "Roll Back", do you have Time Machine that you can Restore from to get back to your El Capitan setup?  AND, once back on El Capitan, you will need to Uninstall CUDA 418.163 and ONLY go up to CUDA 8.0.71 for El Capitan.  This comes from a BOINC App Developer for MacOS that I know.  Anything above CUDA 8.0.71 in El Capitan WILL cause you grief.

TimeLord04

[EDIT:]  Edited to include CUDA info for El Capitan

[EDIT 2:]

Web Link - NVIDIA CUDA Driver 8.0.71 Direct from NVIDIA - For El Capitan:  CUDA Driver 8.0.71 For El Capitan.

I can erase and reinstall if I have to. No big deal, the CS6 suite only takes about an hour to install.  I'm not sure of any loss of functionality; FWIW, I was also able to use the CS6 suite in Mojave (before I downgraded back to HS). My only issue is finding the right combination of CUDA driver (I also installed the CUDA toolkit, though I don't think I needed to). Do I need to disable injection from Clover for this to work? I had set it up in the past and don't recall having to do that, but the older I get the harder it is to remember everything haha!

EDIT: Tom Baker is the best xD

Edited by GhaleonX

3 hours ago, GhaleonX said:

I can erase and reinstall if I have to. No big deal, the CS6 suite only takes about an hour to install.  I'm not sure of any loss of functionality; FWIW, I was also able to use the CS6 suite in Mojave (before I downgraded back to HS). My only issue is finding the right combination of CUDA driver (I also installed the CUDA toolkit, though I don't think I needed to). Do I need to disable injection from Clover for this to work? I had set it up in the past and don't recall having to do that, but the older I get the harder it is to remember everything haha!

EDIT: Tom Baker is the best xD

I'm just going by the two Articles I read after buying my Mac Pro last year.  Both Articles stated that ADOBE moved away from the "Suite" into the "Subscription - Paid Monthly" Model for their newer Software.  ADOBE CS6 Suite is the LAST Suite that is "Owned" by the Customer.  Further, these Articles stated that people were having issues Upgrading the OS beyond Sierra and keeping functionality of the Suite.  Hence; I have NOT Upgraded my OS on the Sierra Drive beyond the 10.12.1 Image that was given to me.

IF you had success in Mojave with CS6 Suite, more power to you, I believe you were one of the FEW whom did NOT have trouble.  KUDOS to you!  :)

I'm NOT up on the Quadro Line of GPUs, I believe MacOS controls the Video Driver for them.  (Built-in...)  However; I'm NOT sure IF you need to "Inject" GPU Functionality into Clover or NOT for that Card Group.  Someone with more knowledge of the Quadro Line of GPUs will have to chime in here.  I got into the NVIDIA Line of GPUs with the EVGA GTX-750TI SC Cards and moving forward.  So my knowledge of prior cards is QUITE Limited.  Sorry.

AND NO, you shouldn't need the CUDA Toolkit, just the 8.0.71 CUDA Driver for El Capitan.  IF you have available Sierra 10.12.1 to Install, you may have greater success with Updating the CUDA Driver beyond 8.0.71 and your CS6 Suite.  I'm NOT quite sure, though, IF CUDA Driver 418.163 will work right for you in Sierra.  High Sierra, CUDA Driver 418.163 works perfectly for me for my BOINC - SETI@Home Number Crunching.

Good Luck.  :)

TimeLord04

(LOVE my Doctor WHO...)

Edited by TimeLord04

27 minutes ago, madamax2 said:

is Security update 2019-006 10.13.6 = build 17G9016?

how do I check what build version is for a dmg update file?

Yes, Security Update 2019-006 is 10.13.6 - (17G9016).  (See my Signature...)

To check Version of MacOS IN MacOS, with Mouse hover over Black Apple in Upper Left Corner, Click Once, Click "About This Mac".  On Popup Window, Click on 10.13.6 this will Expand and show you (17G9016); OR whatever current MacOS Version your System is on.

[EDIT 2:]  I'm NOT sure how you check this in the ".dmg" File.

TimeLord04

[EDIT:]

@madamax2

In your Signature - Please put in the Specs on your Computer(s)...  (See my Signature.)

Edited by TimeLord04
Update to Post.

3 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Terminal: sw_vers

I was referring to the DMG update file which I can download from apple website 

e.g 

SecUpd2019-006HighSierra.dmg

I need to check it prior to installation so I can know if there is a official nvidia driver released for that build number before I install it.

8 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

Yes, Security Update 2019-006 is 10.13.6 - (17G9016).  (See my Signature...)

To check Version of MacOS IN MacOS, with Mouse hover over Black Apple in Upper Left Corner, Click Once, Click "About This Mac".  On Popup Window, Click on 10.13.6 this will Expand and show you (17G9016); OR whatever current MacOS Version your System is on.

[EDIT 2:]  I'm NOT sure how you check this in the ".dmg" File.

TimeLord04

@madamax2

In your Signature - Please put in the Specs on your Computer(s)...  (See my Signature.)

thanks..
I didn't know your sig had that info 

yeah I already know about clicking the  "About This Mac" to get your current build number

I was more interested in finding out the build number of the DMG update file (SecUpd2019-006HighSierra.dmg) before I install it
since I can check if there is an official nvidia driver already released for it on front page

The front page lists the build number + nvidia driver version number for it..
but does not tell us what the actual update name that build number corresponds to.

Edited by madamax2

7 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

I'm just going by the two Articles I read after buying my Mac Pro last year.  Both Articles stated that ADOBE moved away from the "Suite" into the "Subscription - Paid Monthly" Model for their newer Software.  ADOBE CS6 Suite is the LAST Suite that is "Owned" by the Customer.  Further, these Articles stated that people were having issues Upgrading the OS beyond Sierra and keeping functionality of the Suite.  Hence; I have NOT Upgraded my OS on the Sierra Drive beyond the 10.12.1 Image that was given to me.

IF you had success in Mojave with CS6 Suite, more power to you, I believe you were one of the FEW whom did NOT have trouble.  KUDOS to you!  :)

I'm NOT up on the Quadro Line of GPUs, I believe MacOS controls the Video Driver for them.  (Built-in...)  However; I'm NOT sure IF you need to "Inject" GPU Functionality into Clover or NOT for that Card Group.  Someone with more knowledge of the Quadro Line of GPUs will have to chime in here.  I got into the NVIDIA Line of GPUs with the EVGA GTX-750TI SC Cards and moving forward.  So my knowledge of prior cards is QUITE Limited.  Sorry.

AND NO, you shouldn't need the CUDA Toolkit, just the 8.0.71 CUDA Driver for El Capitan.  IF you have available Sierra 10.12.1 to Install, you may have greater success with Updating the CUDA Driver beyond 8.0.71 and your CS6 Suite.  I'm NOT quite sure, though, IF CUDA Driver 418.163 will work right for you in Sierra.  High Sierra, CUDA Driver 418.163 works perfectly for me for my BOINC - SETI@Home Number Crunching.

Good Luck.  :)

TimeLord04

(LOVE my Doctor WHO...)

While I wasn't aware people were having issues with CS6 past 10.11, I'm not surprised. The installer handles oddly in High Sierra and Mojave, so the only hope is to install in an earlier version of the OS and hope functionality remains after update.

If it's helpful to someone, After Effects wouldn't work until I ran the update found on Adobe's website. Should work even on setups that have adobe blocked in the hosts file!

That being said, I think I'll follow your advice and go back to 10.11 to get CUDA back, although I would like to understand the logic of how nVidia's drivers are intended. Given I have an "official" web driver that supports Quadro 6000 in 10.13.6 (17G9016), you would think any HS compatible CUDA driver would be all that's missing. According to nVidia's website, cards that are in the 1 or lower performance category aren't supported by the CUDA drivers, but there's 3 different Quadro 6000 cards on their compatibility list, all of which are nowhere near a '1' (implying that whatever Q6000 variant one would have, one would have a greater that '1' performance value unit of measurement to attribute). 

It's been forever since I've checked, but do genuine Macs still use different versions of the same GPU model? ie you can't put the exact same Quadro 6000 card I have in this PC in a genuine Mac?

If that's the case, then perhaps the answer to my question has something to do with the Quadro 6000 being "accidentally" supported by the web driver (and NOT the CUDA drivers available in HS).

Alternatively, I could also imagine any number of other possibilities of what could be going on here. I know you said your knowledge of prior cards is quite limited, but am all ears for any theories you have in terms of understanding what everything is doing related to this (also, anyone else is more than welcome to chime in, lol).

13 hours ago, madamax2 said:

I was referring to the DMG update file which I can download from apple website 

e.g 

SecUpd2019-006HighSierra.dmg

I need to check it prior to installation so I can know if there is a official nvidia driver released for that build number before I install it.

thanks..
I didn't know your sig had that info 

yeah I already know about clicking the  "About This Mac" to get your current build number

I was more interested in finding out the build number of the DMG update file (SecUpd2019-006HighSierra.dmg) before I install it
since I can check if there is an official nvidia driver already released for it on front page

The front page lists the build number + nvidia driver version number for it..
but does not tell us what the actual update name that build number corresponds to.

@madamax2

Typically, within 48 Hours of a new OS Release NVIDIA will release the new Web Driver to go with that OS.  So, 387.10.10.10.40.132 IS the Current NVIDIA Web Driver for Security Update 2019-006 - (17G9016).  Further, due to the Number Crunching that I have my Systems doing, I WILL NOT Update my MacOS to the next Security Update UNTIL I see that NVIDIA has released the concurrent Web Driver for that OS.

People here are REALLY GOOD about notifying everyone when the new NVIDIA Driver gets released.  IF, like me, you MUST have the New NVIDIA Web Driver released BEFORE having your System Update the OS; just keep reading this Thread shortly after an OS Update gets released.  Someone will first notify us all that the OS Update has released, then within 48 Hours - when NVIDIA releases the New Driver someone else will notify us all of the New Web Driver.

TimeLord04

12 hours ago, GhaleonX said:

While I wasn't aware people were having issues with CS6 past 10.11, I'm not surprised. The installer handles oddly in High Sierra and Mojave, so the only hope is to install in an earlier version of the OS and hope functionality remains after update.

If it's helpful to someone, After Effects wouldn't work until I ran the update found on Adobe's website. Should work even on setups that have adobe blocked in the hosts file!

That being said, I think I'll follow your advice and go back to 10.11 to get CUDA back, although I would like to understand the logic of how nVidia's drivers are intended. Given I have an "official" web driver that supports Quadro 6000 in 10.13.6 (17G9016), you would think any HS compatible CUDA driver would be all that's missing. According to nVidia's website, cards that are in the 1 or lower performance category aren't supported by the CUDA drivers, but there's 3 different Quadro 6000 cards on their compatibility list, all of which are nowhere near a '1' (implying that whatever Q6000 variant one would have, one would have a greater that '1' performance value unit of measurement to attribute). 

It's been forever since I've checked, but do genuine Macs still use different versions of the same GPU model? ie you can't put the exact same Quadro 6000 card I have in this PC in a genuine Mac?

If that's the case, then perhaps the answer to my question has something to do with the Quadro 6000 being "accidentally" supported by the web driver (and NOT the CUDA drivers available in HS).

Alternatively, I could also imagine any number of other possibilities of what could be going on here. I know you said your knowledge of prior cards is quite limited, but am all ears for any theories you have in terms of understanding what everything is doing related to this (also, anyone else is more than welcome to chime in, lol).

@GhaleonX

IF the PC Quadro 6000 has been Flashed, (typically by MacVidCards), to contain Mac EFI - THEN the PC Quadro 6000 Card CAN be used in the Genuine Mac AND give you Boot Screen.  WITHOUT being Flashed, a PC Card in a Genuine Mac, (with the OS above El Capitan), WILL NOT give you a Boot Screen.  (From what I've read and researched on other Hackintosh Sites.)

Even so, I chose to buy a Pre-Flashed MacVidCards' GTX-1070 8GB Card for my Hackintosh.  ($555 USD + $14 USD Shipping.)  For my Mac Pro 5,1 System I bought a used Pre-Flashed GTX-970 4GB Card off e-Bay.  HOWEVER; both Systems have Secondary GPUs - both EVGA GTX-1050 2GB Cards NOT Flashed.  I CAN confirm that having Video Cables connected to the Secondary Cards in both Systems and booting from them yields NO BOOT Screen.  ONLY my Primary Cards give me Boot Screen.

[EDIT:]  Forgot to mention that on my First Hackintosh with a Mac Pro 3,1 Profile to best match the Hardware Specs, I had on El Capitan, (starting with 10.11.3), two EVGA GTX-750TI SC 2GB VRAM GPUs.  Under El Capitan, these NON-Flashed GPUs DID yield a Boot Screen on BOTH Cards.  (Upgraded El Capitan to 10.11.6...  NO Issues.)

MacVidCards WILL Flash ANY PC Card matching the Physical Ports of ANY Card they sell.  Check MacVidCards.com for EFI Flashing Prices.

TimeLord04

Edited by TimeLord04

On 11/14/2019 at 11:03 AM, TimeLord04 said:

@GhaleonX

IF the PC Quadro 6000 has been Flashed, (typically by MacVidCards), to contain Mac EFI - THEN the PC Quadro 6000 Card CAN be used in the Genuine Mac AND give you Boot Screen.  WITHOUT being Flashed, a PC Card in a Genuine Mac, (with the OS above El Capitan), WILL NOT give you a Boot Screen.  (From what I've read and researched on other Hackintosh Sites.)

Even so, I chose to buy a Pre-Flashed MacVidCards' GTX-1070 8GB Card for my Hackintosh.  ($555 USD + $14 USD Shipping.)  For my Mac Pro 5,1 System I bought a used Pre-Flashed GTX-970 4GB Card off e-Bay.  HOWEVER; both Systems have Secondary GPUs - both EVGA GTX-1050 2GB Cards NOT Flashed.  I CAN confirm that having Video Cables connected to the Secondary Cards in both Systems and booting from them yields NO BOOT Screen.  ONLY my Primary Cards give me Boot Screen.

[EDIT:]  Forgot to mention that on my First Hackintosh with a Mac Pro 3,1 Profile to best match the Hardware Specs, I had on El Capitan, (starting with 10.11.3), two EVGA GTX-750TI SC 2GB VRAM GPUs.  Under El Capitan, these NON-Flashed GPUs DID yield a Boot Screen on BOTH Cards.  (Upgraded El Capitan to 10.11.6...  NO Issues.)

MacVidCards WILL Flash ANY PC Card matching the Physical Ports of ANY Card they sell.  Check MacVidCards.com for EFI Flashing Prices.

TimeLord04

So I ended up putting this machine back on 10.11.5 and installing the drivers for those, and now I've got proper CUDA support in After Effects. I couldn't get it to work in 10.11.6 (even though the next CUDA driver revision seemed like it would support it). 

My current understanding is that the CUDA driver package dropped support for a lot of cards throughout its updates, while the display driver doesn't. So maybe there's a way to edit a newer CUDA driver for this, though this is purely a guess. 

I've got another machine here running 10.9.5 with a GTX 570 (and a 520 for a 3rd display) I could try testing after I give this machine back (I think they're both Fermi). Will update with any info if I learn something.

Speaking of first hackintoshes btw, mine was a Shuttle XPC SB51G that I ended up using as a media server to stream all my classic Dr Who (and some other stuff) from! That thing was a huge hacking effort and still had some flaws, but I later learned that it's got the same hardware as a TARDIS console, which apparently runs on a socket 478 board just like the SB51G (according to series 6, episode 4 of the newwho) xD

11-24-2019 at 3:58 PM - PST

Well, it's official...  :(  NVIDIA has pulled the plug!!!  :cry:

High Sierra IS THE LAST MacOS to utilize NVIDIA Web Drivers AND CUDA Driver 418.163!!!  NVIDIA CUDA Driver Support dies at 418.163 for MacOS with NVIDIA CLEARLY stating that "Future CUDA Drivers WILL NOT support MacOS!"

See Here:  NVIDIA Drops MacOS Support for CUDA.

AND Here:  CUDA Toolkit Release Notes.

An Era has passed into the cold dark night.

ALSO, See Here:  Insanely Mac - NVIDIA on OSX is almost no more.

TimeLord04

Edited by TimeLord04
Update to Post.
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hervé said:

Security Update 2019-007 --> 10.13.6 Build 17G10021

12-10-2019 at 5:56 PM - PST

Thank you @Hervé:)

Just need to wait, now, for the NVIDIA Web Drivers to catch up and get released.  Then I can Update the Hackintosh and Mac Pro 5,1.

TimeLord04

Hello everyone.

I am in a MacBook Pro 15" Retina late 2013. 

2,6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

GRAPHYC CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

on a Mac Os High Sierra 10.13.6

I have install CUDA MANAGMENT and installed the last CUDA DRIVER Nvidia Web Driver - 387.10.10.10.40.132

I am using Adobe After Effects CC 2018 V.15.1.2

And the GPU of my Graphic Card is not working on Adobe After Effects at this time.

Please find Attached some screen shots.

Please let me know if there is any what to fix this.

Thanks a lot.

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 11.17.53.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 11.18.45.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 11.21.16.png

@antuanet

Your CUDA Driver IS NOT up to date.  Install CUDA Driver 418.163.  (System Preferences  --->  CUDA : [In Driver Support]  --->  "Install CUDA Update")

After Updating your CUDA Driver, all should be well.

TimeLord04

hi, i updated my Mac OS High Sierra to 10.13.6 (17G10021).. now the cuda can't updated The CUDA Driver currently installed on your system needs to be updated. Please update to the latest CUDA Driver to ensure your CUDA-enabled applications continue to function properly.
How many days later you think the update will come?

And in premiere pro rendering is there any problem for it?

thanks a lot

2 minutes ago, ksdesign said:

hi, i updated my Mac OS High Sierra to 10.13.6 (17G10021).. now the cuda can't updated The CUDA Driver currently installed on your system needs to be updated. Please update to the latest CUDA Driver to ensure your CUDA-enabled applications continue to function properly.
How many days later you think the update will come?

And in premiere pro rendering is there any problem for it?

thanks a lot

As stated prior - CUDA Driver 418.163 IS THE LAST CUDA Driver for MacOS.

In addition, NVIDIA Web Drivers for the new Security Update - 2019-007 - 17G10021 HAVE NOT yet been released.  It CAN take up to 48 Hours for NVIDIA to release new Web Drivers.

BEST suggestion is to Roll Back to 17G9016 - Security Update 2019-006.  IF you CANNOT Roll Back, try using your Time Machine Backup to Restore from.

TimeLord04

10 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

As stated prior - CUDA Driver 418.163 IS THE LAST CUDA Driver for MacOS.

In addition, NVIDIA Web Drivers for the new Security Update - 2019-007 - 17G10021 HAVE NOT yet been released.  It CAN take up to 48 Hours for NVIDIA to release new Web Drivers.

BEST suggestion is to Roll Back to 17G9016 - Security Update 2019-006.  IF you CANNOT Roll Back, try using your Time Machine Backup to Restore from.

TimeLord04

thank you very much I will try to roll back 17G9016

edited..

I can't roll back, I have to wait the updated from Nvidia

Edited by ksdesign

On 12/11/2019 at 3:58 PM, phi777 said:

@phi777

Thanks for this.  I will be Updating my Hackintosh and Mac Pro 5,1 by tomorrow.  :)

TimeLord04

12-13-2019 at 1:20 PM - PST

Just got Hackintosh-Andromeda Updated to 17G10021 and Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.133.  NO issues to report.  Will Update Mac Pro HOPEFULLY later today.  IF NOT today, tomorrow.

[EDIT 2:]

12-15-2019 at 9:35 AM - PST

Mac Pro 5,1 - Daedalus Updated to 17G10021 and Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.133.  NO issues to report.  All is well.

TimeLord04

Edited by TimeLord04
Update to Post.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried to install the new driver on my newly updated HS 17G10021 hack

the update goes through, but it won‘t actually 'stick‘ or install and I’m stuck with no drivers for whatever reason

it keeps giving me the 'unable to open Nvidia driver manager‘ error once the system boots

i can‘t roll back unless I reinstall

specs are : x5650@4GHz, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM 

Edited by kamii

On 12/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, TimeLord04 said:

@antuanet

Your CUDA Driver IS NOT up to date.  Install CUDA Driver 418.163.  (System Preferences  --->  CU

On 12/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, TimeLord04 said:

@antuanet

Your CUDA Driver IS NOT up to date.  Install CUDA Driver 418.163.  (System Preferences  --->  CUDA : [In Driver Support]  --->  "Install CUDA Update")

TimeLord04

DA : [In Driver Support]  --->  "Install CUDA Update")

TimeLord04

Hello.

Could you please send the link ?. 

Because the last CUDA Driver is: 

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.133.pkg

And doing it by the System Preferences it is not working and there there is not Official CUDA Drives any more from NDIVIA and even if I do it by the NDIVIA DRIVER MANAGER, it is saying it is UP TO DAY with the driver 387.10.10.10.40.133.pkg

So could you please be more specific or facilitated the driver you are saying it is working. I mean the link to download the Driver it is working of course.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by antuanet

On 12/26/2019 at 6:56 PM, kamii said:

Just tried to install the new driver on my newly updated HS 17G10021 hack

the update goes through, but it won‘t actually 'stick‘ or install and I’m stuck with no drivers for whatever reason

it keeps giving me the 'unable to open Nvidia driver manager‘ error once the system boots

i can‘t roll back unless I reinstall

specs are : x5650@4GHz, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM 

nobody have a fix to this?