Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

For everyone who has the same problem of not having the same nvidia web driver as the build version of Mac OS

I found this solution on another site which lets you install any drivers versions you want
Why InsanelyMac does not support tonymacx86

Direct link to the script is here..
https://github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sh

First you need to disable SIP protection either in config.plist or via clover

To do it it in config.plist

1. Mount your EFI and open config.plist in clover configurator

2. Go to RT variables 

3. Change CsrActiveConfig = 0x67

4. Reboot the Mac OS.

Download the script
1. Open terminal and go the directory you extract this script
2. Run the script , by typing

./webdriver list

3. Choose the latest version of nvidia web driver, usually number 1.
So just type "1" and press enter

4. When asked to Install?
Type "y" for yes

5. Modify installed driver for current Mac OS version?
type "y" for yes)
6. Then after installation, 
Make sure to do this to get the driver to load
Enter this in the same terminal

sudo kextcache -i /

7. Reboot Mac OS

Nvidia web drivers should now be loaded and your display is now no longer glitchy.

NOTE:
Also according to the github of that script it runs on 10.14 Mojave as well..

so that is something to test out for those who have been waiting for nvidia drivers for mojave for so long now.
I haven't tested it on mojave, but if someone does, please report back here, if nvidia web drivers work on mojave for you.

Edited by fantomas1
We do not support tonymac site - Link removed

On 4/1/2019 at 8:24 AM, madamax2 said:

For everyone who has the same problem of not having the same nvidia web driver as the build version of Mac OS

I found this solution on another site which lets you install any drivers versions you want

2. Go to RT variables 

4. Reboot the Mac OS.

Download the script
./webdriver list

3. choose the latest version of nvidia web driver, usually number 1.

4. When asked Install?
Type "y" for yes

type "y" for yes)
sudo kextcache -i /

7. Reboot Mac OS

Nvidia web drivers should now be loaded and your display is now no longer glitchy.

NOTE:

so that is something to test out for those who have been waiting for nvidia drivers for mojave for so long now.
I haven't tested it on mojave, but if someone does, please report back here, if nvidia web drivers work on mojave for you.

Thank you - worked like a charm

23 hours ago, malimo said:

Thank you - worked like a charm

On 4/1/2019 at 8:24 AM, madamax2 said:

2. Go to RT variables 

4. Reboot the Mac OS.

Download the script
./webdriver list

3. choose the latest version of nvidia web driver, usually number 1.

4. When asked Install?
Type "y" for yes

type "y" for yes)
sudo kextcache -i /

7. Reboot Mac OS

NOTE:

Thanks, it works on latest High Sierra

1 minute ago, ellaosx said:

@roger1254

It will not work in mojave. 

My last trial got it worked with only CoreImaging (CI) enabled, nor with QuartzExtreme (QE) due to unresolved symbols for GeForceWeb.kext which is mandatory for nvAccelerator. Here's the main problem, NVDAGF* NVDAResman* are well loaded, display resolution is also native; but you need worsing your hand with IOGraphics* IONDRV* AppleGraphicsControl* from 10.13.6 to be used with 10.14.x. Forget it, seems #OffTopic on HighSierra thread right?

3 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

My last trial got it worked with only CoreImaging (CI) enabled, nor with QuartzExtreme (QE) due to unresolved symbols for GeForceWeb.kext which is mandatory for nvAccelerator. Here's the main problem, NVDAGF* NVDAResman* are well loaded, display resolution is also native; but you need worsing your hand with IOGraphics* IONDRV* AppleGraphicsControl* from 10.13.6 to be used with 10.14.x. Forget it, seems #OffTopic on HighSierra thread right?

so you ran the exact same script on mojave?
and does the display desktop without glitchy artefacts?
or how about playing videos?

Edited by madamax2

3 hours ago, madamax2 said:

so you ran the exact same script on mojave?
and does the display desktop without glitchy artefacts?
or how about playing videos?

Nope, I don't need those script.. built in `pkgutil --expand && --flatten` then `nano Distribution` are enough for me to repackage WebDriver~.pkg

Spoiler

Sorry to say but if I still remember that insanelymac doesn't support T*nymacX86, plz read Forum RULES. Thanks.

#EDIT: QuartzExtreme is 3D Accelerator (similar to Direct 3D on Windows), if it doesn't work then video won't played, neither with game. CoreImaging is similar to Direct Draw, with this gfx feature active.. you could still able to Open (for example) images with acceleration.

Edited by Badruzeus

1 hour ago, Badruzeus said:

Nope, I don't need those script.. built in `pkgutil --expand && --flatten` then `nano Distribution` are enough for me for repackage WebDriver~.pkg

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry to say but if I still remember that insanelymac doesn't support T*nymacX86, plz read Forum RULES. Thanks.

#EDIT: QuartzExtreme is 3D Accelerator (similar to Direct 3D on Windows), if it doesn't work then video won't played, neither with game. CoreImaging is similar to Direct Draw, with this gfx feature active.. you could still able to Open (for example) images with acceleration.

so just to understand this clearly

you were able to install nvidia latest web driver made for high sierra on mojave

but so far video and gaming are not running properly and only images can be loaded with acceleration?

Would you be able make a youtube clip

so we can see how glitchy it is running?

Is the login screen or opening a browser glitchy when viewing web pages with just images only?

And is scrolling the webpages glitchy etc?

=====

BTW should the solution for getting nvidia webdriver not same version as the build number of Mac OS be pinned or reference to on the front page of this thread

or be created in a entirely new thread and get pinned on this site and also reference to on the front page of this thread etc?

I think this is quite a useful solution for everyone who do not want to wait for nvidia to release a compatible driver for each new build number of Mac OS updates.
If someone had found this solution and it had been pinned to the front page, I could have saved so much time in finding the solution..

Now that the solution is known, I would not want it to be lost on page 76 etc after more comments are made and more pages gets created
which would bury this solution on page XX etc..where people in the future reading this might not know etc

Edited by madamax2

1 hour ago, madamax2 said:

so just to understand this clearly

you were able to install nvidia latest web driver made for high sierra on mojave

but so far video and gaming are not running properly and only images can be loaded with acceleration?

Would you be able make a youtube clip

so we can see how glitchy it is running?

Is the login screen or opening a browser glitchy when viewing web pages with just images only?

And is scrolling the webpages glitchy etc?

I've mentioned on prev. post above how to.

Can not make any video screenshot #atm, sorry. As far as I can tell.. it' s just worsing our time.

If you wanna test your self for running CI only w/o QE using Nvidia Graphics, just remove /S*/L*/E*/GeForce*.kext (or /L*/E* if WebDriver) repair && rebuild kernelcache-prelinkedkernel then you'll know. #DWYOR!

Edited by Badruzeus

6 hours ago, flowrider said:

thanks..

that is relatively pretty quick

now why can't mojave get nvidia drivers after 6 months and ongoing?

Pretty sure apple is not approving the drivers

since it doesn't benefit Nvidia not to release the mojave drivers

It just causes people to hate nvidia and move to AMD.

Some articles about this.
Now not so hopeful that mojave nvidia drivers would ever get released

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2018/12/11/apple-turns-its-back-on-customers-and-nvidia-with-macos-mojave/#777fc02437e9

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01/18/apples-management-doesnt-want-nvidia-support-in-macos-and-thats-a-bad-sign-for-the-mac-pro

Edited by madamax2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, madamax2 said:

thanks..

that is relatively pretty quick

now why can't mojave get nvidia drivers after 6 months and ongoing?

Pretty sure apple is not approving the drivers

since it doesn't benefit Nvidia not to release the mojave drivers

It just causes people to hate nvidia and move to AMD.

Some articles about this.
Now not so hopeful that mojave nvidia drivers would get released

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2018/12/11/apple-turns-its-back-on-customers-and-nvidia-with-macos-mojave/#777fc02437e9

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01/18/apples-management-doesnt-want-nvidia-support-in-macos-and-thats-a-bad-sign-for-the-mac-pro

There's an argument to made for "restraint of trade".

As in, Apple ACTIVELY blocking their customers from doing their jobs. OTOY Octane workflows are top of mind.

Know any 'hungry' lawyers?

3 hours ago, 13parsecs said:

There's an argument to made for "restraint of trade".

As in, Apple ACTIVELY blocking their customers from doing their jobs. OTOY Octane workflows are top of mind.

Know any 'hungry' lawyers?

try class action lawsuit

lawyers love that stuff

BTW what do you mean by

"OTOY Octane workflows are top of mind"

4-2-2019 at 7:33 AM - Pacific

Just got Hackintosh Updated to High Sierra 17G6030 with new Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.124.  Update went smoothly, no issues.

I will Update the Mac Pro later.  [EDIT:]  (8:30 AM - Pacific)  Number Crunching via BOINC for SETI@Home working fine.

[EDIT 2:]

10:54 AM - Pacific

Mac Pro Updated to High Sierra 17G6030 with new Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.124.  Update went smoothly, no issues.

Edited by TimeLord04

I have a trix gtx 970 (pc model) in my Mac Pro early 2009, modified as a 5.1.  With the second 10.13.6 and with all the recent security update I just installed the 124 and it still does work. As I said earlier, it worked fine till 10.13.3. Is this the end of Nvidia support for my situation? Is there some easier way to make it work than to go back to reinstalling 10.13.3?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thx!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blache said:

I have a trix gtx 970 (pc model) in my Mac Pro early 2009, modified as a 5.1.  With the second 10.13.6 and with all the recent security update I just installed the 124 and it still does work. As I said earlier, it worked fine till 10.13.3. Is this the end of Nvidia support for my situation? Is there some easier way to make it work than to go back to reinstalling 10.13.3?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thx!

@blache

As I indicated on Friday, 3-29-2019:

TimeLord04 said, "OK - With that detail, I'd pull the card and have it tested by your local PC Tech Shop.  (Whoever that is that you trust.)  It sounds, to me, like your card has a BAD Video Pipeline!  I had this happen with an older, (and used), EVGA GTX-750TI SC 2GB GDDR5 VRAM Card.  It started out with BAD Pixelations on the screen if I had turned the Monitor OFF, left it that way for a few hours and then came back and turned the Monitor back ON.  Things  got WORSE for me from there with that Card.  Fortunately, the System I had it in had a Secondary 750TI SC.  I chose to SWITCH Positions of the Cards in the System.  For my Number Crunching in BOINC for SETI@Home, the Bad Video Pipeline DID NOT seem to matter, Number Crunching was done OFF the Video Pipeline, and was therefore Unaffected.

For you, this is a WHOLE DIFFERENT game...  I think the Card may be failing.  Get it checked out.  There's NO reason for permanent Black Screens on all monitors connected to the one Card.  This DOES NOT sound like a MacOS NOR an NVIDIA Driver issue.

My Mac Pro currently has a Mac Flashed GTX-970 and is NOT having the issues that you are having.  All is running smooth.

Good luck."

---------------------------------

4-2-2019 at 11:02 AM - Pacific

My Mac Flashed GTX-970 in my Real Mac Pro, Mid-2010 5,1 System is having NO issues with High Sierra, since my original Install of 10.13.3.  Every Update has gone smoothly.

I suspect that your 970 is having some sort of Video Pipeline Issues.  IF you have a Spare PC to put it in, try that before taking the card into a Shop.  Otherwise you will need to have the Card looked at by a professional.  There's NO reason for a working GTX-970 to give a PERMANENT Black Screen.

Again, good luck.

Edited by TimeLord04

3 hours ago, blache said:

I understand, but my card is not flashed. I doubt it is broken since it was working fine with the 13.3 it only went bad with the update to higher update.

Thx anyway.

It DOESN'T matter that your Card is NOT Flashed!  IT SHOULD NOT be giving PERMANENT BLACK SCREENS!

Therefore, SOMETHING is wrong with your Card!  Pull it out and put it into a PC and check it - IF you have a spare PC to do this with; OTHERWISE have the Card Professionally CHECKED!

[EDIT:]  AND, IF you ever decide to have the Card Flashed, USE MacVidCards.  They perform this Service for $105 per Card.  (For ANY Off the Shelf PC GPU.  NOTE:  Your Card MUST match Visually with a SIMILAR Card that MacVidCards sells...  They state that the Number of Ports must match.  ie:  3 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI-D.)

Edited by TimeLord04
Update.

Thank you for the input, but before I go ahead of testing my card on a PC, i juste realized that when i try to install the latest CUDA 105, it accept the installation process but when i reboot it comes back to the precedent CUDA driver... What does that indicate?

Anyone knows?

Thx

I only upgraded to High Sierra because I was forced to due to Resolve 16 requiring it as a minimum. Installed latest updates and .124 drivers. Running 3 monitors on 2 x 980 Ti cards, not connected in SLI on X79 Motherboard. All drivers installed successfully, but performance is horrible compared to what I had on Sierra. Its hows Metal supported in System Information. GFXBench Metal runs but onscreen I only get 19fps on 1920x1080 offscreen I get over 300fps. GFXBench OpenGL crashes and does not run. I also have a GTX 720 installed, with Apple drivers it works natively and its performance is much faster, GUI is smooth no lag. There is even lag when I type.1708067946_ScreenShot2019-04-10at09_41_29.png.f892da8588880d682ef51799575bfc42.png

Edited by macwanabe

On 4/10/2019 at 9:32 AM, macwanabe said:

I only upgraded to High Sierra because I was forced to due to Resolve 16 requiring it as a minimum. Installed latest updates and .124 drivers. Running 3 monitors on 2 x 980 Ti cards, not connected in SLI on X79 Motherboard. All drivers installed successfully, but performance is horrible compared to what I had on Sierra. Its hows Metal supported in System Information. GFXBench Metal runs but onscreen I only get 19fps on 1920x1080 offscreen I get over 300fps. GFXBench OpenGL crashes and does not run. I also have a GTX 720 installed, with Apple drivers it works natively and its performance is much faster, GUI is smooth no lag. There is even lag when I type.

There are two ways to fix this:

1. Install old drivers 378.10.10.10.25.106 using the script below:

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh) 378.10.10.10.25.106

2. Connect your monitors to second GPU that is in slot nr2.

The latest drivers have a bug that enables hardware accelerated OpenGL only on the latest GPU (in multiple GPU configurations). The driver ..106 has it enabled on all GPUs.