Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, iCanaro said:

:thumbsup_anim:

WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.132 high sierra sec. update 2019-006

Thank you for this.  I will Update the Hackintosh and Mac Pro 5,1 Systems soon.  :)

TimeLord04

ok wow, that was quick, thanks so much to the person who updated the webdriver.

now that everything seems to be working and I dont get any error messages anymore,

how does one check if the Graphics Card is actually activated?

if my Cinema4D says OpenGL Hardware enabled, does that mean it's actually gonna use the card for only for heavy tasks or all?

sry for noob question but I'm new to all this nVidia vs Mac thing.

cheers.

6 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Nope, Web Drivers stop at Pascal cards and High Sierra. That Turing card is just unsupported/no good on a Hackintosh...

So what should i buy as i need more rendering power (4-6G Ram )and to be fully supported on my Mojave Hackintosh ?

11-2-2019 at 3:09 PM - PDT

Well, this time I waited a few days to let things "settle" to see if they released a "Fix of the Fix..." - like the last couple times.  Pleased to see that (17G9016) did NOT get re-released with a new Version.

Updated Mid-2010 Mac Pro 5,1, (first this time), to 10.13.6 - (17G9016).  Had a HUGE scare when instead of getting to the Login Screen, the Update changed to a BLACK Screen for 25 Seconds - Then got to the Login.  Of course, since the Web Driver was then Incompatible, got the Flickering Screen during Login attempt.  Typed in my Password, hit Enter, got a small spinning circle under my Login and after 25 Seconds of this, the Mouse Cursor went to Rainbow Wheel of Death!

Since I've NEVER had a problem with Updates on the Mac Pro before, I was scared to DEATH here!!!  I forced shutdown of the System, rebooted, and this time NO BLACK Screen, got to Login, NO FREEZE this time, and System functionality was "Normal"...  Updated NVIDIA Web Driver, rebooted again, got back into System "Normally" for a second time...  Confirmed I was on (17G9016), confirmed I was on the new Web Driver, confirmed the Web Driver was Selected and Running.

All seems well, now!  Don't know what the issues were.  I'm hoping she gets to "Normal" Number Crunching tonight.

I have NO CLUE what this will mean for my i7 7700K Hackintosh!  (A little scared here...  Wish me luck.)

Good Luck to everyone else.  :)

TimeLord04

[EDIT:]

11-3-2019 at 1:39 - PST

Updated Hackintosh to (17G9016) and Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.132.  Had issues here, too.  After getting back to the Desktop, NVIDIA Updater COULD NOT connect to the Internet to Update the Web Driver.  Rebooted TWICE and still couldn't get Internet connection from my Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT Card!  Luckily I had DL the File prior to performing the Update, so I installed ".132" Manually.  Rebooted, AGAIN, and THIS TIME had Internet!  Even went back to the NVIDIA Driver Checker and this time it said "No Updates".

So, beware, this (17G9016) Update CAN be buggy for some.  A friend of mine Updated his iMac after I Updated my Hackintosh.  For some reason only known to Apple, his iMac DID NOT encounter issues on Updating.

Good Luck everyone.

TimeLord04

Edited by TimeLord04
Update to Post.

2 hours ago, Funky frank said:

hi I would like to install the recent 387.10.10.10.40.132 driver on my 10.13.4 system. How to do that again? I think it was possible to change the Info.plists in the driver and temporarily change the system version.plist? Wasn't there a script for that, too?

here: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

hey @fantomas..maybe you miss my name in OP 

Edited by iCanaro

7 hours ago, Funky frank said:

But it shows me "387.10.10.10.30.106 is already installed.". I wanted to install 387.10.10.10.40.132 to my 10.13.4 system.

I do not know why people are using using some kind of scripts or github to get latest nvidia web drivers version while we already have dedicated topics and even an app that will do the job for you -  NVIDIA Web Driver Updater    :rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Funky frank said:

But it shows me "387.10.10.10.30.106 is already installed.". I wanted to install 387.10.10.10.40.132 to my 10.13.4 system.

In order to PROPERLY utilize the New Web Driver ending ".132", you MUST be on the Latest 10.13.6 High Sierra OS.  I DON'T remember where 387.10.10.10.30.106 falls into, I think 10.13.4 but NOT entirely sure...  IF you are NOT on 10.13.6, kindly Update your OS to the Latest 10.13.6, and your NVIDIA Web Driver Updater WILL tell you to Update to 387.10.10.10.40.132.

There is ONLY ONE Official Web Driver Release from NVIDIA PER MacOS Release!  ".132" IS NOT for your System on 10.13.4.  I'm sure someone will come along and state that it "can be forced", BUT IT'S NOT intended for your current OS.

TimeLord04

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 10.12 to an install of 10.13.6, but I would like to retain nvidia/cuda performance.

Should I do an update install or a Fresh Install?

I have a mid 2014 macbook pro with a nvidia 750m.

Can I  just install high sierra and update to the latest security update of '2019-006', is nvidia performance fixed with the latest web drivers?, or should I follow the directions at the bottom of this page, which is to only install up to security update 002?  https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1025945/cuda-setup-and-installation/mac-cuda-driver-fully-compatible-with-macos-high-sierra-10-13-error-/16

Thanks for any guidance of the best way to do this!  Or... should I just stay on 10.12?

Edited by eleaf

4 minutes ago, biciolino said:

Thank you, Biciolino.  :)  Since he's on the .106 Driver, he's on the (17E199) High Sierra OS.  As I stated, he MUST Update to 10.13.6 - (17G9016) High Sierra OS to achieve the ability to Update to the ".132" NVIDIA Driver.

TimeLord04

Edited by TimeLord04
Update to Post.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:06 PM, TimeLord04 said:

As I stated, he MUST Update to 10.13.6 - (17G9016) High Sierra OS to achieve the ability to Update to the ".132" NVIDIA Driver.

Yeah, sorry, i misunderstood his request. I thought he was wondering why .132 drivers were not installable on 10.13.4 and asking which ones were. Besides, i see no reason for @Funcky Frank not to upgrade to 10.13.6. I too was forced to stay with High Sierra till a couple of weeks ago because of my GTX 1080 but it worked perfectly in 10.13.6 with .132 drivers.

Biciolino

Edited by biciolino
typos

On 11/9/2019 at 2:01 PM, eleaf said:

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 10.12 to an install of 10.13.6, but I would like to retain nvidia/cuda performance.

Should I do an update install or a Fresh Install?

I have a mid 2014 macbook pro with a nvidia 750m.

Can I  just install high sierra and update to the latest security update of '2019-006', is nvidia performance fixed with the latest web drivers?, or should I follow the directions at the bottom of this page, which is to only install up to security update 002?  https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1025945/cuda-setup-and-installation/mac-cuda-driver-fully-compatible-with-macos-high-sierra-10-13-error-/16

Thanks for any guidance of the best way to do this!  Or... should I just stay on 10.12?

I'm NOT sure what "performance" you are looking for in said Drivers.

I play some StarCraft:Remastered on my Hackintosh, (see Full Specs in Signature), I also do Scientific Number Crunching, (CUDA), on the two GPUs in the Hackintosh.  This Hackintosh was created with 10.13.3, and routinely Updated.  Now on 10.13.6 - (17G9016), with Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.132.  I've had NO issues on my Hackintosh.

Unless you have some program like ADOBE CS-6 Suite, (or older), that prevents you from Updating to High Sierra, I say go for it and Update.  I'm sure you'll notice on the Mac Pro 5,1 in my Signature that you'll see the Sierra 10.12.1 Drive.  This Drive will NOT be Updated because I DO have ADOBE CS-6.  However; the Primary Drive DOES have High Sierra 10.13.6 - (17G9016), and ALSO does Scientific Number Crunching on the two GPUs in that System.

It all depends on your 3rd Party Software Packages as to what OS you should be on, or consider Updating to.

ymmv

TimeLord04

5 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@TimeLord04

you can patch/ unlock any 10.13.6 web drivers released to work with all 10.13.6 OSX version.

Searching on this forum it is possible to find the way to do it

As I stated, that 'someone' would come along and state that '...it is possible to force the driver to work....', I DON'T recommend it.  As each specific Driver Version is released for each specific OS release.

I choose to use what is released for the OS Version.  To each his/her own.

ymmv

TimeLord04

8 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@TimeLord04

your choose is legit..but maybe someone could have the need to use "volta" compatible driver (108)  or a multigpu less buggy driver of latest..so having this chance for me is fine :)

For me, my main concern is for the Scientific Number Crunching that I have both of my Systems working on.  (BOINC - Berkeley Open Infrastructure Network(ed) Computing.)  The BOINC Program/App used allows me to Join MANY Distributed Computing Projects.  I choose to Crunch for SETI@Home, and Einstein@Home, and occasionally CollatzConjecture.  BOINC, and these Projects REQUIRE that I have the "RIGHT" Driver for the OS, AND, (for SETI@Home), the current CUDA Driver for the OS in question.

I CANNOT afford to 'play around' and hash this and hash that and force things to work and find out that BOINC 'might NOT' function correctly afterwards.

Kinda like people whom have 'forced' the High Sierra NVIDIA Web Drivers to 'Install' on Mojave, ONLY to find out that the Video RAM is ONLY seen at 7MB EVEN WITH the Driver Loaded - BECAUSE "Acceleration IS NOT Enabled in Mojave".  'Forcing' something in, just 'cause you "can" is NOT necessarily the "right" thing to do.

Again, ymmv.

Good Luck with whatever one chooses to do.  I choose to use the Appropriate Driver for the OS in question.

TimeLord04

On 11/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, TimeLord04 said:

In order to PROPERLY utilize the New Web Driver ending ".132", you MUST be on the Latest 10.13.6 High Sierra OS.  I DON'T remember where 387.10.10.10.30.106 falls into, I think 10.13.4 but NOT entirely sure...  IF you are NOT on 10.13.6, kindly Update your OS to the Latest 10.13.6, and your NVIDIA Web Driver Updater WILL tell you to Update to 387.10.10.10.40.132.

There is ONLY ONE Official Web Driver Release from NVIDIA PER MacOS Release!  ".132" IS NOT for your System on 10.13.4.  I'm sure someone will come along and state that it "can be forced", BUT IT'S NOT intended for your current OS.

TimeLord04

I'm wrestling with a system right now trying to get CUDA support to work properly. For some reason, I can't get it to show in After Effects CS6 (which I installed in El Capitan and then upgraded to High Sierra within OSX). raytracer_supported_cards.txt has "Quadro 6000" added.

Gfx card is Quadro 6000

OS X Version: 10.13.6 (17G9016)

GPU Driver Version: 355.11.10.10.40.102

CUDA Driver Version: 418.163

I'm not sure where I've gone wrong here...

11 hours ago, GhaleonX said:

I'm wrestling with a system right now trying to get CUDA support to work properly. For some reason, I can't get it to show in After Effects CS6 (which I installed in El Capitan and then upgraded to High Sierra within OSX). raytracer_supported_cards.txt has "Quadro 6000" added.

Gfx card is Quadro 6000

OS X Version: 10.13.6 (17G9016)

GPU Driver Version: 355.11.10.10.40.102

CUDA Driver Version: 418.163

I'm not sure where I've gone wrong here...

@GhaleonX

Correct me if I'm wrong, After Effects CS6 is part of the ADOBE CS6 Suite, correct???  I believe this Suite works up to Sierra 10.12.x, and I'm NOT sure where the ".x" cuts off Support...  I've read a few Online Articles...  My Mac Pro 5,1, (in Signature), has the Sierra 10.12.1 Drive Listed...  My Sierra Drive was imaged from the guy I bought the System from, and included with that OS was my copy of ADOBE CS6.  The Articles I read and researched afterwards DID say NOT to go to 10.12.6 or parts of the ADOBE CS6 Suite "...might NOT function correctly, IF at all."

Can you Roll Back the OS Update back to El Capitan?  This MIGHT be your best bet to regain functionality of your After Effects program.  Again, as I've stated before, research your suite of software to see what limitations MAY arise BEFORE Upgrading one's OS - Including GPU Drivers.  Due to the limitations of ADOBE CS6 on my own Sierra 10.12.1 - (16B2657) w/Web Driver 367.15.10.15F03, I'm NEVER Upgrading the OS on that Drive.

IF you CANNOT "Roll Back", do you have Time Machine that you can Restore from to get back to your El Capitan setup?  AND, once back on El Capitan, you will need to Uninstall CUDA 418.163 and ONLY go up to CUDA 8.0.71 for El Capitan.  This comes from a BOINC App Developer for MacOS that I know.  Anything above CUDA 8.0.71 in El Capitan WILL cause you grief.

TimeLord04

[EDIT:]  Edited to include CUDA info for El Capitan

[EDIT 2:]

Web Link - NVIDIA CUDA Driver 8.0.71 Direct from NVIDIA - For El Capitan:  CUDA Driver 8.0.71 For El Capitan.

Edited by TimeLord04
Update to Post.