The "Explain your nickname" thread

Swad

266 posts in this topic

Mine comes from the fact that I tend to be a really high bandwidth person, so the nick was a natural choice about 17 years ago when I first hopped on IRC as it was just being coded back in 1989. My original nick on IRC at that time was genius, but after a few weeks some idiot latched onto it from a university connection and I simply couldn't get it back - dialup sucks, especially back in those days.

So, I chose broadband originally, but then someone latched onto that from another university connection, and so I changed it to br0adband and it stands today as still mine on most IRC networks, web forums, Google searches, and my domain br0adband.net.

Mine comes from the fact that I tend to be a really high bandwidth person, so the nick was a natural choice about 17 years ago when I first hopped on IRC as it was just being coded back in 1989. My original nick on IRC at that time was genius, but after a few weeks some idiot latched onto it from a university connection and I simply couldn't get it back - dialup sucks, especially back in those days.

So, I chose broadband originally, but then someone latched onto that from another university connection, and so I changed it to br0adband and it stands today as still mine on most IRC networks, web forums, Google searches, and my domain br0adband.net.

/me hands you cool points for being an IRC pioneer.

Mine originated when I was talked in to playing my very fisrt online game by a friend of mine. The game was Team Fortress Classic and appearently it was pretty new at the time. He gave me a copy of the game and got me all setup for playing, but I still needed to pick a name to play by. It took me a little while to decide on something, but I settled for the name of a style of shoe by Airwalk. I remembered seeing it when I was out getting some new shoes and thought that it had to be one of the strangest sounds I had ever seen spelled out. I liked it very much and it's been what I go by ever since.

I guess that isn't the most exciting reason, but it is certainly not a common name. You'd be surprised just how often it gets misspelled, let alone mispronouned.

Lol...mines kinda funny. I dont know if jeezoflip is from something already... BUT

One time, in my History class back in Middle School, we had this long term sub. He was cool. But anyway, we use to mess around in his class all the time. So one day he asked my friend a question, and i forget what it was or what my friend said back, but it was some smart ass answer. So, my teacher took his hand and hit his forehead and was like "O JEEZOLIP!" and i thought it sounded funny as hell, so i use it as my internet alias for like everything.

Eh, yeah. I had a freakin horrible time coming up with usernames back when i first started using teh interwebs.

This one came into existence about two years ago, in eighth grade math. (yes, i'm 15. deal with it.) One of my friends has a habit of saying crazy stuff. Funny, but crazy. So at that time his "crazy" thing was twisting words into weird contortions. So he's like "hey erbic!". Yeah. It's my name with a B in the middle. It stuck... too well. It's been two years and I can't get anyone to call me Eric anymore. :D

So, yeah. This became the name i use on all teh interwebs-related stuff. Unless five letters is too short, in which case it's xErBiC.

• 2 weeks later...

well...i have two nicknames i use...i use paperweight and veggie...the story on paperweight is for another time. as for veggie, everybody calls me that at school (yes, im only 14) because im a vegatarian....its just kinda stuck with me since 7th grade.

When I first started joining online communities, they were all Mac Emulation related. Not Mac Emulation like SheepShaver, Aqua-Emulation like Flyakite OSX, which basically means making PC's look like a Mac. My name is Ari, and I wanted Ari combined with Mac OS X, so I called myselft AriX. I eventually decided to make an Aqua-Emulation website. I called it "WinX", because it combined Windows and Mac OS X. After that, I realized that it matched my name, so I made it. It eventually merged with another site about the same thing. It's now called Aqua-Gero. My old name before AriX was ariw2002net. I got ariw from my name and last initial, i made it in 2002, and i had an aol account called ariw2002. I was registering for a Netscape account, and didn't know it was the same thing, so I decided to make ariw2002@netscape.net. Of course, it was already taken, by me, so it gave me username suggestions and one of them was ariw2002net, which I took. I used to change them every year though, my first AOL account was ariw2001, then ariw2002, then ariw2002net (at netscape), then ariw2003 and ariw2003net (At netscape)

I chose my nickname because my name is Travis and 1085 is my PO Box number.

• 1 month later...

Ah well JMufla came about on a School Trip to Tunisia in 1999...

It all started with being tired, or at least looking tired... and my apparent similarity with an italian sheep called "il Muflone" or a "Mufla"... Don't ask... It stuck... The J was added because it is the first letter of my name... hence JMufla

mine is because of the mortal kombat armageddon character mocap

this guy has nothing to do with the mk story ... it just the guy who has several sensores and a special costume and makes kicks and stuff like that in order to let the pc record his moves :)

but the expression is truly general . so everyone making the moves in a game or animated movie is a mocap. but in mk you can play him as well :D

here is a pic of a mocap

http://media01.cgchannel.com/images/news/3718/mocap.jpg