[HowTo] X1600/X1800 Full Support (Borisbadenov Method)

munky

710 posts in this topic

AFAIK this method doesn't work with DVI period.

I am using this with an x1600 that I picked up at best buy and it works perfectly with DVI (using Dell 2400FPW @ 1920X1200.) My card ID is 0x71c2 and it's an 'ATI Radeon x1600 PRO' PCIe w/512MB of DDR2.

Don't know if it will work for all, but I just wanted to post that DVI works for me...

I am using this with an x1600 that I picked up at best buy and it works perfectly with DVI (using Dell 2400FPW @ 1920X1200.) My card ID is 0x71c2 and it's an 'ATI Radeon x1600 PRO' PCIe w/512MB of DDR2.

Don't know if it will work for all, but I just wanted to post that DVI works for me...

Does it show 512MB or just 256?

same ID as mine. Did you edit manually or use the installer?

same ID as mine. Did you edit manually or use the installer?

You may be using an Sapphire Radeon x1600 AGP card. Since he's using a PCI-e card, you can have the same device ID but have two very different experiences. This could account for why DVI doesn't work. I think Apple slowly moved away from AGP support a while back (but don't quote me on this.)

I think the new AGP driver that people are working on is very promising. It might be the key to getting working DVI for every card that works with the Boris method. It's just a hunch.

I tried changing all "IOPCIdevice" values in ATiNDRV.kext and ATiNDRVsupport.kext to "IOAGPdevice" after installing the AGP driver, but the system failed to boot the login screen. I might have messed up somewhere, but I'm continuing to mess around.

People should experiment a bit and try to see what happens. Only do this if you are familiar with Singe User mode, incase you might do something that could potentially hault the system from booting. Become active and maybe we can find a solution faster than you'd think. :P

You may be using an Sapphire Radeon x1600 AGP card. Since he's using a PCI-e card, you can have the same device ID but have two very different experiences. This could account for why DVI doesn't work. I think Apple slowly moved away from AGP support a while back (but don't quote me on this.)

I think the new AGP driver that people are working on is very promising. It might be the key to getting working DVI for every card that works with the Boris method. It's just a hunch.

I tried changing all "IOPCIdevice" values in ATiNDRV.kext and ATiNDRVsupport.kext to "IOAGPdevice" after installing the AGP driver, but the system failed to boot the login screen. I might have messed up somewhere, but I'm continuing to mess around.

People should experiment a bit and try to see what happens. Only do this if you are familiar with Singe User mode, incase you might do something that could potentially hault the system from booting. Become active and maybe we can find a solution faster than you'd think. ;)

I can NOT aggree with that! I have the PCIe version of this card (same devID and same vendor) and DVI doesn't work! So its NOT the AGP-port! :)

Anyone have any ideas why using both methods my:

Sapphire X1600Pro AGP 256mb boots fine but then keeps locking up and kernel panicking? It is not the computer - as, if I remove the installer or undo the steps manually the kernel panics go away...

Could this be a problem with my SiS chipset? I am kind of hoping so as I have an Intel board in the mail now. Has anyone else installed and got Kernel panics?

Wow :P I can't believe it DVI is working on my system. After reading the topic this morning , an urge came to me to check if DVI will work on my MSI X1600 Pro 256 . Lo and behold its alive its alive LOL. ( VGA Cable still connected to the Graphics card but not in monitor) :)

Wow ;) I can't believe it DVI is working on my system. After reading the topic this morning , an urge came to me to check if DVI will work on my MSI X1600 Pro 256 . Lo and behold its alive its alive LOL. ( VGA Cable still connected to the Graphics card but not in monitor) :)

Donicci,

You have the same card that Boris has. I bought the same one. I have a P4Dual socket 478 MB but when I ran the NeoInstaller the screen goes from the grey bootup screen to black on boot up. I am able to undo the installer using the undo script. Did you run into this problem at any time or did it just work on the first try for you? I also want to know how you installed the hack. Did you use the installer or did you manually edit and delete?

Donicci,

You have the same card that Boris has. I bought the same one. I have a P4Dual socket 478 MB but when I ran the NeoInstaller the screen goes from the grey bootup screen to black on boot up. I am able to undo the installer using the undo script. Did you run into this problem at any time or did it just work on the first try for you? I also want to know how you installed the hack. Did you use the installer or did you manually edit and delete?

all i did was followed Boris method and that's it. Will try now attaching second monitor hope it works, ;)

@littlepr: I've been using the VGA port for couple of months now and havent tried the DVI port until this morning. All done first time.

My five cents.

Borisbadenov Solution works for me on 10.4.6 with 10.4.5 kexts. SAPPHIRE x1600 PRO 128 Mb.

No problems - CI, QE enabled. I've got bugs with keyframe display in Motion with GMA900. Now it's gone. I'm very pleased with that.

As for gaming. Most important part. I have terrible perfomance with Call of Duty 2 and Civilization IV. Call of Duty 2 especially - game is almost not playable even under 800x600 and minium effects - very slow. My old FX5700 on Windows perfoms quite nice in 1024x768. What is this?

Beside that, I have perfect perfomance in Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations (max resolution, all effects on) even these games are not universal.

I really want to know if this can be fixed. Please help

My card detects as PCI. There is no way to disable onboard GMA in BIOS...I think this is the problem

So update - installs fine now - got past the reboot bluescreen problem (this is a fresh install) and now I just keep getting kernel panics and you must shut down your computer *sighs*

Update: Got my Intel Mobo: D865GLC - Installed OSX on a SATA drive in 10 minutes and everything worked out of the box. Installed Neo's installer and it worked first time. I can't believe I got everything working, 10 mins 1 patch!!

Working our of box:

SATA,

USB,

Audio,

Video (see attached after neo's patch)

Reboot

ATA (IDE DVD Drive)

Network

This motherboard should definately be on the compatiblity list as working out of the box.

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro AGP 256mb

post-43376-1153870230_thumb.png

installed with neos installer: perfect rush. x1600pro 256 mb. all data seems do be correct.

but: when i run xbench, i have exactly or even lower graphics-benchs than with gma 900 (all around 100, ogl just 120, text the same - saw profiles nearly 6 times faster?!?)!!!

what the hell?!?

i deleted all gma-kexts. only goes slightly up when i enable quartz2d extreme.

anyone can help? its impossible to get such low benchs with an x1600?!? even my gma showed higher benchs.

I have a 20.1" monitor arriving tomorrow with a res of 1680x1050 (VX2025wm) and have been using a GeForce FX5500 but the card does not support the native res of the monitor via DVI. I was considering purchasing and installing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814241016

Since it has two DVI ports, this would guaruntee that DVI would work, right? Also, the FX 5500 does not have any acceleration, so I should experience better performance from the ATI card? Finally, do you guys think this change is worthwhile, DVI instead of VGA and acceleration? Let me know, I appreciate the input!

locuras and others lacking monitor sleep: my X1800 will only allow the monitor to sleep on one of the two DVI ports. if you have an additional DVI or VGA port on your card, try booting up with that one connected to your monitor instead of the one you are currently using.

:) It will go to sleep now...

:)

installed with neos installer: perfect rush. x1600pro 256 mb. all data seems do be correct.

but: when i run xbench, i have exactly or even lower graphics-benchs than with gma 900 (all around 100, ogl just 120, text the same - saw profiles nearly 6 times faster?!?)!!!

what the hell?!?

i deleted all gma-kexts. only goes slightly up when i enable quartz2d extreme.

anyone can help? its impossible to get such low benchs with an x1600?!? even my gma showed higher benchs.

Do you have Beamsync disabled? This brought my xBench up 40points.

I've just installed mac os x on my pc and installed the ati driver with the installer from the second posting and now everything is working fine :) i have an HIS X1600Pro IceQ AGP graphics card!

I have a 20.1" monitor arriving tomorrow with a res of 1680x1050 (VX2025wm) and have been using a GeForce FX5500 but the card does not support the native res of the monitor via DVI. I was considering purchasing and installing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814241016

Since it has two DVI ports, this would guaruntee that DVI would work, right? Also, the FX 5500 does not have any acceleration, so I should experience better performance from the ATI card? Finally, do you guys think this change is worthwhile, DVI instead of VGA and acceleration? Let me know, I appreciate the input!

Update: Got my Intel Mobo: D865GLC - Installed OSX on a SATA drive in 10 minutes and everything worked out of the box. Installed Neo's installer and it worked first time. I can't believe I got everything working, 10 mins 1 patch!!

Working our of box:

SATA,

USB,

Audio,

Video (see attached after neo's patch)

Reboot

ATA (IDE DVD Drive)

Network

This motherboard should definately be on the compatiblity list as working out of the box.

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro AGP 256mb

Awesome, I got that exact card coming to me tomorrow and I was worried there would be problems. I got an "older" machine with an Intel board, no sata, nforce, sis chipset, etc. Everything is 100% with no crashes, just updating my video. Now I can't wait. *drools* :gun:

I had some nasty problems with this card and my previous board. SiS chipset of course:

1. Bluescreen would just sit there and not finish booting

2. Kernel panics

3. Freezing

4. Garbled {censored} on boot-up.

If anyone is considering buying a board with an SiS chipset... DONT! Intel all the way :gun:

Just a note that NeoPheus' installer didn't work with my machine:

JaS 10.4.6

Asus A8N-SLI motherboard

Asus ASUS EAX1600XT Silent/TVD/256M video card

I have the newer version of the video card with the TV-out port, which may be the source of the trouble.

I get a display, but there are blinking pixels to the left of all the graphics, which makes it basically unusable.

One question: is it possible to run the installer script from a terminal window, so I can see if there are any errors as it executes? These friendly GUI interfaces are great until something goes wrong silently...