[HowTo] X1600/X1800 Full Support (Borisbadenov Method)

munky

710 posts in this topic

I was thinking about getting an X1800 card, but the no DVI is kind of turning me off considering I just bought a Dell 24" LCD.

I skimmed through this topic, and didn't see anyone mentioning if they have/have not tried setting the correct values pertaining to their hardware in IOPCIFamily.kext. This might be a stupid suggestion, but can someone try this? I am hoping this would enable DVI support on more cards, but then again I probably don't know what I am talking about.

If you are dual booting with Windows, you can find all these values using Karen's Computer Profiler. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptprofiler.asp

I got the asus X1600 silent, VGA works but no DVI. On DVI, just before the login screen is showed the screen goes blank. Is it an option to edit the boot.plist so it uses a lower res? On VGA i have QE,CI i can disable beam sync en enable quartz 2d.

I second this - I bought this card based on advice given here and it just doesn't work with the installer v3.2 and the manual method at the beginning of this thread. Please change the first post to reflect this!

totally agree with that comment right there.

I got the asus X1600 silent, VGA works but no DVI. On DVI, just before the login screen is showed the screen goes blank. Is it an option to edit the boot.plist so it uses a lower res? On VGA i have QE,CI i can disable beam sync en enable quartz 2d.

On my MSI X1600Pro, I get the exact opposite. VGA blanks out just before the login screen. DVI works fine.

mir...

On my MSI X1600Pro, I get the exact opposite. VGA blanks out just before the login screen. DVI works fine.

mir...

I hope I get the rare DVI out working on mine as well. I will be installing an X1600Pro AGP card with dual DVI out. So either the card will work fine with dvi, or I will need a dvi-vga adapter. I hope for the former. Wish me luck.

@NeoPheus,

What did you do ( what kext to edit ) so OSX display the correct chipset of ATI X1600 Pro.

The ATIRadeonX1000.kext has been edited... it detects the model through this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x71001002&0xFFF0FFFF</string>

(X1800 because all X1800 have 710X dev ids)

and it says system with this what model it is:

<key>model</key>
<string>Radeon X1800 Series</string>

The ATIRadeonX1000.kext has been edited... it detects the model through this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x71001002&0xFFF0FFFF</string>

(X1800 because all X1800 have 710X dev ids)

and it says system with this what model it is:

<key>model</key>
<string>Radeon X1800 Series</string>

This what i have

</dict>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
		<string>0x71C21002 </string>

Yours got some extras :)

./deinstallscript of the boris package doesnt work...

single usermode says i don't have permission to use deinstallcript!!!

You need to make the file executable by giving the following command:

chmod +x deinstallscript

Do a google search for "unix permissions" sometime; it's useful information.

Thank you all for quick reply :D

I will try immadiatly

It didnt work, the deinstaller did work with your settings but....

The screen is PURPLE and distorted and gives me the creeps :)

and is blinking it just begins when the login windows is started

I gues I reimage my harddrive than

Ass there a change that it work if i change the vendor id's myself instead of using the installer?

BTW it was 10.4.4

X1600 mobile

the graphics card was working with quartz extreme etc but not with resolution change

thats the reason i tried the patch

In the first posting of this thread are the instructions for doing this manually using your id's.

So today I removed my GeForce FX 5500 and plugged in an AGP X1600 Pro Dual DVI out card. Installed fine in windows, and when I booted into OS X (10.4.7) the screen got stuck at the spinning wheel and apple logo(at least shows that DVI out is working). I tried multiple combinations of DVI ports, DVI-VGA adapter to monitor, and nothing could get past this screen. Is this due to the fact that I have the MacVidia update on my computer, and how can I get back into OSX again? Hopefully I can get some quick responses and solve this problem quickly.

When you boot OSX, it turns to a black screen before it goes to the gray screen.

As soon as it turns black, start tapping the F8 key until you get a prompt.

Type -x and Enter.

I tried the F8 then "Screen Resolution" thing , that did not work

What will your suggestion of -x do?

Thanks for the amazingly fast response!!!

So today I removed my GeForce FX 5500 and plugged in an AGP X1600 Pro Dual DVI out card. Installed fine in windows, and when I booted into OS X (10.4.7) the screen got stuck at the spinning wheel and apple logo(at least shows that DVI out is working). I tried multiple combinations of DVI ports, DVI-VGA adapter to monitor, and nothing could get past this screen. Is this due to the fact that I have the MacVidia update on my computer, and how can I get back into OSX again? Hopefully I can get some quick responses and solve this problem quickly.

Did you install my patch?

If not then try to boot with -x or with -v!

with -v you can get a screen with a lot of text... So you can tell us at wich line (what text) it hangs!

Wow really fast man!

Did you install my patch?

If not then try to boot with -x or with -v!

with -v you can get a screen with a lot of text... So you can tell us at wich line (what text) it hangs!

Wow really fast man!

I did not install the patch because I assumed that should be done after I install the card.. I will boot with -x or -v and see what I am hanging at. I could always plug the Nvidia card back in and install the patch and then plug the ATI card in if that is the easiest route. Anything short of reinstalling the OS would be nice lol.

I tried the F8 then "Screen Resolution" thing , that did not work

What will your suggestion of -x do?

Thanks for the amazingly fast response!!!

-x boots in Safe Mode - it might bypass what is causing the hang

-v is verbose mode - it displays text of what is happening and might display errors

-x boots in Safe Mode - it might bypass what is causing the hang

-v is verbose mode - it displays text of what is happening and might display errors

Alright here is what happened

-x w/DVI

took a LONG time of spinning, but eventually turned to a black "no signal" screen on computer

-x w/DVI to VGA adapter

Activity light on computer did not last very long, and it seemed as if it was hanging at the apple and wheel screen

-v w/DVI

The last three messages I get are:

(61:SystemStarter)tftp:failed on 0;

(then the same line as before repeated)

mDNSResponder: Adding browse domain local

And then it stops.

Hope this can help get to the bottom of this.

The last three messages I get are:

(61:SystemStarter)tftp:failed on 0;

(then the same line as before repeated)

mDNSResponder: Adding browse domain local

And then it stops.

Hope this can help get to the bottom of this.

Amything that looks like an error before these 3 lines?

Amything that looks like an error before these 3 lines?

Nothing else with the word fail or anything that seems to be related to the graphics card, I can take another look though. Would it be better for me to put the old card back in and install the patch before installing the new x1600?

It wouldn't hurt but I don't think it will help. The Macvidia fix and the Boris/Neo patch affect different files.

Right! Ahm... thinking!

But you could go into single user mode (boot with -s) and do this:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/NV*
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.* (DONT FORGET THE DOT)
reboot

This will delete your old macvidia!