[HowTo] X1600/X1800 Full Support (Borisbadenov Method)

munky

710 posts in this topic

You're using d-sub connection, I presume?

Can you check, if possible, if dvi works or not please? :dev:

My GeCube X1600Pro AGP 256MB card works with DVI out and looks wonderful. Only problem is that the system freezes shortly after starting up. I am hoping Neo has some idea what might be up with this set up. The freezing occured on 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 and never happened when I had the FX5500 card installed. Any advice or things I could do would be great.

Thanks

PS. I was considering that it might be a PSU problem, but the PSU is less than 3 months old and is 500W (although only CompUSA brand). That could not be the problem could it?

I have been looking at using the Boris method as Neo's installer makes my system unstable but in the very first section of the method when you edit info.plist, I do not have the files that need to be changed. I have:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple\

.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>ATINDRV</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>ATINDRV 1.4.26.11 (1.0f204)</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.kext.ATINDRV</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.ATINDRV</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.4.26</string>

So therefore I do not have: <string>IONDRVDevice</string> OR <string>ATY,Wormy</string>

Is this some result of uninstalling Neo's patch?

I don't have a DVI monitor. The Powercolor cards come with dual DVI but I'm using the d-sub converter.

So, as of today, nobody is able to use x1900xt via dvi connection :)

I am just curious what cause dvi output on x1900xt/xtx not working properly at all.

Dvi is a must for me since I have a 30inch lcd and this dvi-not-working thing is so frustrating :P

If you use my "uninstaller" then this what you see, are your old kexts! They are moved to /Backup at the installation and are moved back to Extensions if you run the script!

is there any real mac user with dual displays, who could post the contents of the files

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

/Users/(User Name)/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.plist

I'm trying to make dual display work

thanx

I tried the 3.2 installer and it keept me from booting 10.4.6 , now im gonna try to it on my 10.4.5 version and also use the verbose mode so I can tell you where it keeps hanging. As in my sig, im using it for my x1900xt which is said to be supported. Its a dual dvi card, but I only have a VGA screen.

Ok so far, the installer won't work, the system is still loading even though the loginwindow.app is still shown when using -v at startup. Manual hack using 10.4.7 extensions, same deal, using 10.4.5 extensions same deal.

Placing the official apple ati extensions, those which you'de normally edit according to the hack, untouched in the extensions folder, will boot the system, but gives me a black screen, with my mouse pointer, and shows a few colored spots (yellow, red, blue, green) that follow some of the contours of the OS X GUI (dock pallette for example). I've tested both the outputs of my card under this condition, one of them shows me my mouse pointer, both black and some colored spots.

Perhaps this suggests a partial hack, I don't know what you guys think of this. If you have some advice, let me know it ill get on it.

Hi, I have a Sapphire 512 mb X1600 Pro card. I tried the 3.2 installer with 10.4.6 and everything is working except 256 mb instead of 512 mb, but no problem, and no 'flipping' effect with the widgets. I do get CI/QE enabled in About this mac, and the other dash and ripple effects...

I thought it was interesting to note that the Boris method gives me an xbench score near 70 while Neos installer gives me an xbench score around 52. Also Boris' method does not enable any hardware acceleration which really makes it confusing that it is faster.

So, as of today, nobody is able to use x1900xt via dvi connection :D

I am just curious what cause dvi output on x1900xt/xtx not working properly at all.

Dvi is a must for me since I have a 30inch lcd and this dvi-not-working thing is so frustrating :whistle:

I'm guessing it must be something to do with the digital signal then since the d-sub converter uses only an analog connection via the DVI port.

I've tried this card with a projector through DVI once but it wouldn't even work in windows.

Anybody have any tips on getting QE and other hardware accelerations enabled if the Boris method does not work, and Neo's current installer makes the system unstable? The card is a GeCube X1600Pro AGP 256MB card (dual DVI). DVI has worked fine since I plugged the card in, but I cant seem to get the hardware accel with Boris. I was reading about the AGPGart fix, is that something I should be looking into? Thanks!

Edit:

I have an intel P4 SSE2 processor with an intel mobo

Hii... i have an Asus A6J witt intel core duo 1.83 , and ATI X1600...

I have tried to install the hottiso 10.4.6 Mac OSX but i have not been able to get it to work. The install worked fine but the boot fails... So I wonder if you guys managed to get it to work how you did it.

Thanks a lot / Jennifer

Hi! all, I have a x1600pro from asus, It works well with vga connector but with DVI with a vga adapter (I use it to connect into vga in of a monitor shared with my macmini) and even directly I have a very good and bright picture in vga out and a very dark in dvi out. what can I do? does dual monitor works?

thanks a lot

Hi! all, I have a x1600pro from asus, It works well with vga connector but with DVI with a vga adapter (I use it to connect into vga in of a monitor shared with my macmini) and even directly I have a very good and bright picture in vga out and a very dark in dvi out. what can I do? does dual monitor works?

thanks a lot

Could you please tell me how you got through the boot and which version you installed? Wich model of Asus do you have?

Thanks / Jennifer

All right, I'm trying this on my dual core AMD, it has a HIS x1600XT. My main problem is that after installing from both my Myzar and JaS DVDs, I don't have an ATI1000GA.bundle. (At least I hope that's what my problem is).

I get 2 different problems when I install from the 2 different discs.

When i install from Myzar, I get a working OS, only I get horrible artifacting and tearing. The OS is practically unusable. When I do all the steps listed here (besides the part about modifying the ATI1000GA.bundle), I reboot and the screen is illegible and unusable. Furthermore, putting things back the way they were by booting with the -s flag does not return me to a usable installation.

When I install from JaS, I reboot and get a black screen with a mouse pointer. That's it. I rebooted with the -s option and went 'a lookin' for the ATI1000GA.bunle just to see, and it wasn't there again.

I've installed from either DVD on other PCs so I know they're both good, but for whatever reasons, when they install on this machine they're not happy.

Any suggestions?

All right, I'm trying this on my dual core AMD, it has a HIS x1600XT. My main problem is that after installing from both my Myzar and JaS DVDs, I don't have an ATI1000GA.bundle.

Perhaps you are looking for the wrong thing. These are the ATI x1000 extensions:

ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX1000.kext

ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin

Perhaps you are looking for the wrong thing. These are the ATI x1000 extensions:

ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX1000.kext

ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin

.bundle .plugin ... you know .stuff .... I'll check myself in a minute... she's repairing disk permissions right now (I tried something else while I was waiting).

well...

This is from the method on page 1.

Now type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000GA.bundle/Contents/
emacs Info.plist

Should I have been looking for the ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin?

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000GA.bundle/Contents/

emacs Info.plist

That is what we call a typo. Hundreds of people have done Boris with success and didn't get hung up on the typo.

Should I have been looking for the ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin

Yes

That is what we call a typo. Hundreds of people have done Boris with success and didn't get hung up on the typo.

Yes

Well, unfortunately, there are only about 400,000 extensions in the folder and I'm no BSD guru so I'm doing darned good to be browsing in -s mode and emacs'ing around in the .plists on my own. Kinda tough to find what is and isn't in the folder with no gui when you're really not sure of the commands.

But sadly, in the end, there was no joy. Just me and my little cursor, hanging out on the black screen of nothingness.

AMD64 3500+

Asus A8V Deluxe

GeCube Radeon X1600PRO 256MB Dual DVI (AGP Video Card)

Dell 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen LCD

MacOSX_10.4.6_GoatsecxDVD

NeoPheus Version 3.2 Installer

DVI working at full resolution 1920x1200 with Core Image & Quartz Extreme

DVI port on top works with NeoPheus Installer. Bottom DVI Port does not.

(AGP Video Card is shown as PCI under system devices)

"Remember: For use with VGA ONLY!" quote from Neopheus website.

Hmm, I think this should change to "For use with DVI or VGA" :idea:

AMD64 3500+

Asus A8V Deluxe

GeCube Radeon X1600PRO 256MB Dual DVI (AGP Video Card)

Dell 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen LCD

MacOSX_10.4.6_GoatsecxDVD

NeoPheus Version 3.2 Installer

DVI working at full resolution 1920x1200 with Core Image & Quartz Extreme

DVI port on top works with NeoPheus Installer. Bottom DVI Port does not.

(AGP Video Card is shown as PCI under system devices)

"Remember: For use with VGA ONLY!" quote from Neopheus website.

Hmm, I think this should change to "For use with DVI or VGA" ^_^

I have the same card and couldnt get the system to remain stable for any sustained period of time with Neos installer. Boris' method made my xbench scores go up, but no QE or Q2d which is odd. DVI worked with both cards though.