[HowTo] X1600/X1800 Full Support (Borisbadenov Method)

munky

710 posts in this topic

Neo,

Why does my screen go black when I install it on my msi x1600 256 PCI-e. It's the same booard that boris has.

Can anyone explain to me why this hack is not working for me? I have an AsRock P4Dual and I installed a MSI x1600 256Mb (same card that Borisbadenov used while creating this hack). I am using the VGA connection. I have tried the hack using Neo's installer and manually. After rebooting I get the grey screen but I nevr see the login progress bar and the monitor goes black. I have recovered by replacing the original kexts (manually hacked) or by runnning the deinstall script for Neo's installer.

If at all possible I would like Boris or Neo to leave me a note. If anyone else has any suggestions I will appreciate it too.

Thanks in advance.

People who are having problems, try it the manual way. Neopheus cant do anything if its actually the boris method that doesn't work for you. It doesn't work for a x1600 version but the manual method does.

Are you saying that neopheus installer definately doesnt work for x1600 ????

Are you saying that neopheus installer definately doesnt work for x1600 ????

No, im saying it doesnt work for one version of it. I think its one by asus. Possibly the silent version? It is in a post somewhere. They resolved it by manually applying the patch. It is simple and only takes 5 minutes.

Can anyone explain to me why this hack is not working for me? I have an AsRock P4Dual and I installed a MSI x1600 256Mb (same card that Borisbadenov used while creating this hack). I am using the VGA connection. I have tried the hack using Neo's installer and manually. After rebooting I get the grey screen but I nevr see the login progress bar and the monitor goes black. I have recovered by replacing the original kexts (manually hacked) or by runnning the deinstall script for Neo's installer.

If at all possible I would like Boris or Neo to leave me a note. If anyone else has any suggestions I will appreciate it too.

Thanks in advance.

I also have this same card and I am having the exact same problem. I see the white apple loading screen then when it switches to the login screen it goes black. It acts like a Windows machine does if you set the resolution and/or refresh rate too high. Windows still loads, but the display is cut off because it is out of the monitor's range. This is exactly how Mac OS X is acting.

I made a post here with more info.

I also have this same card and I am having the exact same problem. I see the white apple loading screen then when it switches to the login screen it goes black. It acts like a Windows machine does if you set the resolution and/or refresh rate too high. Windows still loads, but the display is cut off because it is out of the monitor's range. This is exactly how Mac OS X is acting.

I made a post here with more info.

Thank GOD it's not just me. WeRD, I think we might have to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist and set the res/refresh manually to see if it will then work. I am going to try this once I get home tonight. I will let you know what the outcome is. Any input as to why we (WeRD and littlepr) are running into this dilema is welcome.

Borisbadenov,

Can you give us a hand here? You have the same card and somewhat the same MB that I have. You have the socket 755 and I have the socket 478 so I think your input will help us a little.

Thank GOD it's not just me. WeRD, I think we might have to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist and set the res/refresh manually to see if it will then work. I am going to try this once I get home tonight. I will let you know what the outcome is. Any input as to why we (WeRD and littlepr) are running into this dilema is welcome.

Borisbadenov,

Can you give us a hand here? You have the same card and somewhat the same that I have. You have the socket 755 and I have the socket 478 so I think your input will help us a little.

I just tried setting various boot options...

"Graphics Mode"="1280x960x32" or "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"

platform=ACPI or platform=X86PC

-x

...etc, in just about every combination. I know the settings take effect because I can see the resolution on the gray loading screen change, but still every time when it gets to the login screen, the monitor "shuts off". I also wanted to point out that adding the refresh rate to the end of the Graphics Mode setting (ex. @85) doesn't work. In fact, it makes things worse.

I'm stumped.

-x

...etc, in just about every combination. I know the settings take effect because I can see the resolution on the gray loading screen change, but still every time when it gets to the login screen, the monitor "shuts off". I also wanted to point out that adding the refresh rate to the end of the Graphics Mode setting (ex. @85) doesn't work. In fact, it makes things worse.

I'm stumped.

Damn me...and I thought I was onto something. We really need Boris's input to see what he thinks might be the cause. What type of monitor are you using? I am using a Hisense 17" LCD TV that also has VGA input.

I installed this on my X1900XTX in 10.4.5. Upon reboot the screen is red with blue lines. Can't see anything. Display is Dell 24" LCD.

I am seeing a very similar issue with the Sapphire X1800XT I just picked up. I see a red screen and it just sits there. I've tried both the installer as well as manually editing the kext's. My Device ID is 7100 is that helps. Has anyone got the Boris method to work with the X1800XT?

Thanks,

Rich

Will this card work with this method?

This one!

Please let me know.

I just tested that one yesterday using Boris' method and it works perfectly. I didn't use the installer I did it manually but I suspect the installer would yield the same results. I hope that helps.

Damn me...and I thought I was onto something. We really need Boris's input to see what he thinks might be the cause. What type of monitor are you using? I am using a Hisense 17" LCD TV that also has VGA input.

I have an NEC AccuSync 120, which is a 21" CRT monitor. It only has VGA natively, but I've also tested the DVI port by using an adapter - didn't make a difference.

I should have gotten a dual dvi-out video card. I only got this one because Jas said it worked perfectly, including DVI. However, looking through these forums, he doesn't even use DVI. Ugh..

There must be a way to force the card to see DVI as its primary output. There is some sort of feed coming from the DVI output though, or else the VGA adapters wouldn't even work. I'm going to try to put together a group to figure out how to get DVI working for everybody.

Anybody interested?

I should have gotten a dual dvi-out video card. I only got this one because Jas said it worked perfectly, including DVI. However, looking through these forums, he doesn't even use DVI. Ugh..

There must be a way to force the card to see DVI as its primary output. There is some sort of feed coming from the DVI output though, or else the VGA adapters wouldn't even work. I'm going to try to put together a group to figure out how to get DVI working for everybody.

Anybody interested?

I would like to help, Takuro, but I think the card must be flashed to use DVI instead of VGA...

I can be wrong because I don't know much about graphic card flashs! :(

Later today I will look at the driver and some firmware of graphic cards, maybe I can find something...

cYa

for u guys using X1000 boris installer made by me and Neophus, i knew about the 10.4.7 opengl problem (only updated in the combo version),hence this package contains the latest OPENGL 10.4.7 (combo)

Enjoy

I made an update from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 and installed the 3.2 installer.

First it seems to work, but the ripple-effect plays only 2 or 3 defect frames...

Tried installer 3.2 on my absolute 100% working, hand patched 10.4.5 and notice

i get the same non working ripple-effect... :(

AMD64, sapphire x1600 256mb agp.

Any idea?

Rgrds.

Boohoo... this drivin me crazy! Why is this shi* working for me and not for others... I installed the patch 3.2 too and everything works (the dash-ripple-effect too)...

Anybody interested?

Hell Yeh, ill be in for testing when i get a working motherboard, its driving me nuts

I re-read the whole of the other very long thread last night. I forgot that there was another card that had working dvi. Bablefish and TeKKi, managed by installing the intel drivers off the install disk, and doing something else. Here is the link to it. I'm somewhat limited to what version of the atidrv, as im using a x1800xl

A lot of the driver issues will probaly be solved when the mac pro is released. I can see apple putting a x1600xt in the base, and a x1800xt in the top specs. I cant see them using nvidia.

-x

I'm stumped.

Just an update...

I tried NeoPheus' installer last night, it also did not work. Same results.

Bablefish and TeKKi, managed by installing the intel drivers off the install disk, and doing something else. Here is the link to it.

The Intel GMA drivers are what originally broke their display abilities because when you select it in the Jas DVD, it installs an older version of the Open GL frameworks.

According to them, getting working DVI is as easy as using pacifist to extract all the 10.4.6 kexts from the updater, as well as OpenGL.framework, modifying each file using the Boris method, and then putting each kext and the framework in their correct places.

The big question: are they one of the rare few who have dual DVI or one of those cards that awkwardly has DVI as primary and VGA as secondary?

If we're determined, we can get DVI to work. I've tried changing the values where "ATY,WORMY" would normally go, but no go. I found out it's case-senstitive. But I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the DVI function. Changing it to anything other than "display" renders ATIndrv useless.

The Intel GMA drivers are what originally broke their display abilities because when you select it in the Jas DVD, it installs an older version of the Open GL frameworks.

According to them, getting working DVI is as easy as using pacifist to extract all the 10.4.6 kexts from the updater, as well as OpenGL.framework, modifying each file using the Boris method, and then putting each kext and the framework in their correct places.

The big question: are they one of the rare few who have dual DVI or one of those cards that awkwardly has DVI as primary and VGA as secondary?

If we're determined, we can get DVI to work. I've tried changing the values where "ATY,WORMY" would normally go, but no go. I found out it's case-senstitive. But I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the DVI function. Changing it to anything other than "display" renders ATIndrv useless.

That on the intel macs refers to something in the efi, wormy being apples code name for x1600. I think i read that somewhere. I'd be happy with just dvi, i dont need dual display. I think your right, enough people with determination and we will get this done. It will be even harder for the x1800 series i think. If bablefish used the 10.4.6 set of kexts and frameworks, it has no chance of working with the x1800 series. Another thing i would like to see working. Maybe that would work for the x1800s if we did the same but just used 10.4.5 everything

I got closer! I am now able to boot into the OS with boris' changes, and the System Profiler says that CI/QE are supported. However, I still cannot change resolutions and I have the mouse tearing problem.

NeoPheus, this info might also help you with your installer...

While screwing around with various things, I remembered reading somewhere on the forums here that the setting where you change "ATY,Wormy" is case sensitive. That little piece of info, plus the fact that System Profiler labels my video card as "Display" led me to the solution. I just edited the ATINDRV.kext Info.plist to "Display" instead of "display" (capital "D").

Although like I said, I still cannot change the resolution. I'd like to get that fixed also, but if not, I can probably live with just manually setting it to a higher res in the boot settings. As for the mouse tearing, I think I saw a post somewhere detailing how to fix that, I'll have to search for it later.

If anyone has any info on how to possibly fix the resolution change issue, please let us know. :)

Also, are there problems with dual core Intel CPUs (I have the Pentium D 930)? The OS in general seems a bit slow and often "stutters".

Just a super quick question, will this work with the ATI FireGL Mobility V5200 in a ThinkPad T60p?

I read somewhere it is the same or almost identical to the X1600.

Can anyone please confirm.

Thank you!

For those working on the task of trying to get DVI to work, here are the 10.4.6 ATi x1000 series kexts, as well as the 10.4.6 OpenGL framework.

10.4.6 Kexts and Framework.zip

I figured this isn't really warez since they're each easily obtainable on Apple's site under the 10.4.6 Intel update. There's no guarentee that these will work, but supposedly these are the kexts and frameworks we need to get functional DVI. Some people have said that certain 10.4.6 kexts won't work with our systems, but if you're willing to experiment... go for it. ;)

I'm going to mess around some more and see what happens.